Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting surgery soon  (Read 8673 times)

Acemace86

Re: Getting surgery soon
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2023, 02:08:17 AM »

What country was this?

goingtall

« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2023, 02:05:02 PM »

I'm about to confirm my surgery at the end of November (LON on femurs). I'm just in doubt about the doctor's recommendation not to put any load on the legs for the 3 months of stretching.

I'm only 124 pounds and I don't know if a little load would be really a problem. I could use a walker, for example.

Doctor mailed me the nail and fixator models - apparently he's using this one: DePuySynthes

https://www.jnjmedtech.com/pt-br/companies/depuy-synthes

Any thoughts on weightbearing and the material purchased?

goingtall

« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2024, 05:48:15 PM »

Hey, there,

I had the surgery 11 days ago and I started stretching/twisting 5 days ago.

I haven't had any complications, but what has irritated me is that the external fixators are misaligned. The one on the right leg is perpendicular to the thigh, but the one on the left leg is angled downwards, which causes discomfort.

I imagine that this can only be corrected with another surgery, but I'll still ask the doctor tomorrow.

The bad thing about the angulation is that your leg is pressed against the fixator when sitting and lying down... and the back pins are also taking longer to heal due to the frequent movement of the hip, with the brace scraping against the bed/chair. I don't know what the doctor will tell me, but if anyone has any opinion I would appreciate it.

Uploaded 2 pics, front view:

Temoc

« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2024, 07:23:57 PM »

DO NOT GO FOR TIBIA SURGERY. I will repeat myself! Complication rate for Tibia is higher no matter what other people are trying to tell you. Because of the alignment that easily can be screwed up between tibia and fibular espically if it is without a nail inside the bone. This can give you issues with walking without pain for the rest of your life, happens to many Tibia patients. Do you really wanna wear giant fixators for like 10 Months / 5 cm? Femurs heal faster, barely any chance of malalignment, and almost zero chance of you delevoping deep infections that can be deadly.

Summarize internal Femur: Safer, less complications, easier to hide, quickest. Almost any western doctor recommends internal femur over any external method including Rozbruch, Paley etc... And these are some of the best surgeons in the world!

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF ALL! You doing this surgery to gain as much height as possible and with the femurs you can get up to 8 cm safely, where for the tibias only 5 cm safely. Most who go over gets into serious complications unless there starting height is like 173+ cm.

On his interview with Cyborg4Life, Paley said that externals are a viable option if you're doing it with a skilled surgeon that has experience with the technique. He did externals all through the 80s and 90s and he invented(or he claims to have invented) LON. He did LON on both femurs and tibias.
I timestamped it(2:37:00):

There are articles on pubmed showing that, LON has been superior in many instances to early (mechanical) internal nails but it's inferior to the modern magnetic nails due to, among other things, being less precise.

LON on femurs, in particular, is painful because the pins will cut the quad muscles a bit. However, after a year of recovery, the lasting damage is not significantly different from internal methods.
Externals also risk infection but most infections can be safely treated with antibiotics.

Here is Paley's original LON article:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9378732/
Twenty-nine patients (thirty-two femora) had femoral lengthening over an intramedullary nail(...)There were six refractures of the distraction bone in the matched-case group. In the group that had had lengthening over an intramedullary nail, one nail and one proximal locking screw failed. The over-all rate of complications was 1.4 per cent in the group that had had lengthening over an intramedullary nail compared with 1.9 per cent in the matched-case group.
No deadly bone infections, no completely destroyed quad muscles etc.

Why western doctors do not do it? Because they don't need to. These doctors are multimillionaires and have an endless stream of patients willing to pay for internals. Internals give the patients higher satisfaction and they will rate the doctor highly. They don't need to bother doing externals anymore but they do it for deformities as the TSF is useful for that.

One of the reasons you guys see more LON complications is that a lot of doctors doing LON femurs are crap. Just because some butcher in India is crippling people with LON femurs does not mean the thousand of patients treated with LON by Paley in the 90s are now crippled.

LON is old school, it's more painful and sleeping with frames is a pain. It isn't the worst method, it won't necessarily lead to deformities, bone infections, torn muscles etc.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 08:45:24 PM by Temoc »

Temoc

« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2024, 07:37:55 PM »

Hey, there,

I had the surgery 11 days ago and I started stretching/twisting 5 days ago.

I haven't had any complications, but what has irritated me is that the external fixators are misaligned. The one on the right leg is perpendicular to the thigh, but the one on the left leg is angled downwards, which causes discomfort.

I imagine that this can only be corrected with another surgery, but I'll still ask the doctor tomorrow.

The bad thing about the angulation is that your leg is pressed against the fixator when sitting and lying down... and the back pins are also taking longer to heal due to the frequent movement of the hip, with the brace scraping against the bed/chair. I don't know what the doctor will tell me, but if anyone has any opinion I would appreciate it.

Uploaded 2 pics, front view:

Good luck, dude. I'm also from Brazil, I'd love to do the surgery here because of the logistics. There are tons of good surgeons in Brazil that have done thousands of surgeries and treated many patients with disabilities, what we don't have is a famous surgeon that does cosmetic leg lengthening. However a doctor that is used to treat deformed bones should have no problem doing CLL. I will send you a PM.

Beemer m3

« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2024, 12:40:09 AM »

good luck dude. im sure those are weight bearing and u could continue to walk and stretch so u can recover faster.
before 168cm current 173.5 cm
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

goal 2025-26 precice max femur

Beemer m3

« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2024, 10:13:59 AM »

On his interview with Cyborg4Life, Paley said that externals are a viable option if you're doing it with a skilled surgeon that has experience with the technique. He did externals all through the 80s and 90s and he invented(or he claims to have invented) LON. He did LON on both femurs and tibias.
I timestamped it(2:37:00):

There are articles on pubmed showing that, LON has been superior in many instances to early (mechanical) internal nails but it's inferior to the modern magnetic nails due to, among other things, being less precise.

LON on femurs, in particular, is painful because the pins will cut the quad muscles a bit. However, after a year of recovery, the lasting damage is not significantly different from internal methods.
Externals also risk infection but most infections can be safely treated with antibiotics.

Here is Paley's original LON article:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9378732/No deadly bone infections, no completely destroyed quad muscles etc.

Why western doctors do not do it? Because they don't need to. These doctors are multimillionaires and have an endless stream of patients willing to pay for internals. Internals give the patients higher satisfaction and they will rate the doctor highly. They don't need to bother doing externals anymore but they do it for deformities as the TSF is useful for that.

One of the reasons you guys see more LON complications is that a lot of doctors doing LON femurs are crap. Just because some butcher in India is crippling people with LON femurs does not mean the thousand of patients treated with LON by Paley in the 90s are now crippled.

LON is old school, it's more painful and sleeping with frames is a pain. It isn't the worst method, it won't necessarily lead to deformities, bone infections, torn muscles etc.

im just wondering if people were doing these in the 90s. i mean the internet wasnt as popular as today to find information about LL. or even find a surgeon in a different state. even pt was probably difficult back then. pretty sure costmetic LL only got popular in the 2000 when the internet was more accessible n news articles advertising it.
before 168cm current 173.5 cm
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

goal 2025-26 precice max femur

Temoc

« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2024, 02:53:50 PM »

im just wondering if people were doing these in the 90s. i mean the internet wasnt as popular as today to find information about LL. or even find a surgeon in a different state. even pt was probably difficult back then. pretty sure costmetic LL only got popular in the 2000 when the internet was more accessible n news articles advertising it.
Paley says he started doing CLL in the late 80s but only for people below 5'4" or with dwarfism. I'd bet it was mostly rich people. Rich people get access to medical treatment a lot earlier than the general population. For example, rich kids have been doing HGH if they even suspect they will have short stature since the late 80s so they're mostly tall.

But, of course, people were doing it for limb length discrepancy since Ilizarov. And LON was used since 1990. It's fundamentally the same process.

goingtall

« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2024, 09:59:57 PM »

I'm on day 17 post-surgery. Range of motion has improved. I have been stretching 1mm a day since February 16th Jan 25th (edited, wrong date)

my physiotherapist is very good, I'm lucky to have found her. USD 20 per hour.

here is a video of me doin an exercise:

https://shorturl.at/xAIJ9

goingtall

« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2024, 12:21:14 PM »

15 days of stretching and approximately 1.5 cm stretched.

I just thought it was a little odd that the broken parts of the femurs were a lil misaligned, but the doctor said everything was ok.

Sure hurts like hell, but been manageable so far

https://postimg.cc/bS0NxS1G

goingtall

« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2024, 10:01:05 PM »

Geez, Forum has been out for more than 20 days!

3.5 cm done already

tempthrowaway

« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2024, 05:52:41 AM »

Is it kinda miserable while lengthening or are you able to enjoy life.

goingtall

« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2024, 10:03:18 AM »

Miserable during PT and in moments of pain, miserable because you can't live the way you lived before. If you're an outsy person you might get a lil down.

But it's a process that won't leave you useless, you can still browse the internet, eat everything, talk, work (home office).

It's far from being pleasant, but you keep going cause u got a goal and thats it.

goingtall

« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2024, 01:59:15 PM »

Regarding hygiene and care for the fixator pins, I read that there are people who didn't take a shower at all during the entire stretching period! I, on the other hand, take a shower every day. I do not see any problems.

As you can see by the images below, the skin engulfs the pins, leaving little space for water to enter. There is lymph leakage, no blood, so bandages are changed daily.

These images are from the 40th day of stretching, around 3.5 cm

https://freeimage.host/i/JWHnKhl

https://freeimage.host/i/JWHnFI4

goingtall

« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2024, 12:03:32 AM »

Does anyone know if taking anti-inflammatories while stretching is harmful?

Today, exceptionally, I took one, and I felt great. But the Doctor said that one should avoid taking them as much as possible.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2024, 01:06:32 AM »

Does anyone know if taking anti-inflammatories while stretching is harmful?

Today, exceptionally, I took one, and I felt great. But the Doctor said that one should avoid taking them as much as possible.

Taking them for too long has been linked with negatively impacting bone regeneration. Docs will give them to you for a brief period after surgery, but will then ween you off them.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

goingtall

« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2024, 05:20:35 PM »

Taking them for too long has been linked with negatively impacting bone regeneration. Docs will give them to you for a brief period after surgery, but will then ween you off them.

Thanks, I had that idea. But the anti-inflammatory is so much more wonderful than any other painkiller that I wanted to take it every day.

Just yesterday I was having this unbearable pain in the glute region close to the femur, and after taking the anti-inflammatory prescribed by the Doc, the pain disappeared for immediately. Only today did I remember the pain again. Sad

goingtall

« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2024, 08:52:29 PM »

Those are the x-rays I took today (reached 4cm mark).

Is this slight misalignment between the directions of the top and bottom bone fragments something to worry about?

3rd image is my right femur pre-op

Right femur https://freeimage.host/i/JWUc20F

Left femur https://freeimage.host/i/JWUcdf1

Right femur pre-op https://freeimage.host/i/JWUcHiP

goingtall

« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2024, 09:10:28 PM »

Just reached 4.5 cm today and, boy oh boy, am I getting stiffy.

Leg doesnt hurt at all but PT is painfull as hell, not due to muscle pain, but because of all the pins going through my leg. That's the worst part of going LON rather than any internal nail process.

Since I'm plan on stopping at the 6 cm mark or maybe lower, at 5.5 cm, I feel some relief already, even though im stretching only 0.75 a day.

All the dudes going up to 8 cm on LON are the real heros, I don't think I could do it.

goingtall

« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2024, 01:00:37 PM »

Finished stretching at 5.2cm (LON FEMURS), it just wouldnt go further, sadly.

I started to have numbness in my right leg and a slight tingling and I decided to stop.

I also noticed that not every turn of the device resulted in increased distraction. Much was lost in the twisting of the pins, which bent a little, perhaps due to the resistance of the legs.

Anyway, now I removed the external frame and its a whole new journey of PT to get straightened again!

goingtall

« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2024, 11:11:50 PM »

After removing the external fixators, my legs are starting to improve. The pin holes are mostly healed, and in a few days I will have the stitches removed.

But as you can see, it will leave some pretty ugly scars on the outside of my thighs.

markr09

« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2024, 11:28:31 PM »

5.2 cm is a pretty good stopping point esp considering this is LON femurs.
Don't worry about the scars too much, there are laser surgeries to get rid of those for you so get it once you're fully recovered.
Ideal goal: (178cm~180cm) 5'10~5'11 with two separate bilateral(femur+tibia) lengthening / (183cm) 6' at max safe goal
Normal goal: (176cm) 5'9 with femur lengthening
Minimum goal: (173.5cm) 5'8 with femur/tibia lengthening

Plan in 2025~2026 when Precice Max comes and has some good outcomes.

goingtall

« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2024, 12:34:26 AM »

5.2 cm is a pretty good stopping point esp considering this is LON femurs.
Don't worry about the scars too much, there are laser surgeries to get rid of those for you so get it once you're fully recovered.

Thanks!
Removed stitches the day before yesterday. Healing ok, but scars gonna take long to fade. Here are some pics I just took

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up