Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Franz Birkholtz (Pretoria, South Africa)  (Read 285659 times)

sweetone6

• Visitor
Re: Dr Franz Birkholtz (Pretoria, South Africa)
« Reply #465 on: September 13, 2017, 01:00:39 PM »

hello!Dr Franz Birkholtz!
Please allow me to introduce myself first.
My name is Lin Tao, is a Chinese, male.
I'd like to go to you for cosmetic lengthening, and I have known your information for a long time. I would like to confirm the following, get your reply, no accident I will go to South Africa to visit you in October。
1.My height is 165-166 cm, I hope to get 6-7CM gain. Will you allow me to undergo surgery?
2.I wish to undergo surgery on my thighs and use PRECICE . how much is the cost? What items does the cost contain?
3.How many patients have you operated for cosmetic Limb Lengthening so far?Is there a failure case?If so, can you specifically say it?
4.I have 6 years of smoking history.Does this affect the postoperative recovery?
5.I am a Chinese, my spoken English is not particularly good, Do I need to carry a translation for surgery? How should I solve the problem of language barrier?
6.How is the settlement during recovery? What is the approximate cost of accommodation?
7.Safety is my number one concern.I hope you can give me some advice.You can also send me your information about cosmetic lengthening.

Forgive my English,Looking forward to your reply.

sweetone6

• Visitor
« Reply #466 on: September 13, 2017, 01:01:30 PM »

:)

« Reply #467 on: September 17, 2017, 07:27:52 PM »

Thanks Dr. for answering our questions. I want to have limb lengthening surgery in next one year. I have been researching from last 4 years. My tibia and femur are pretty much well proportioned (one not relatively shorter then other), I want to have exactly 3 inches (not a mm less not a mm more :)). My problem is that I cannot spend more than 55-56k USD (all included) and cannot take break from (normal office desk job) work for more than 3 months. I can walk with a walker/crutches though while working. How do you so see it becoming possible (e.g. internal vs external, tibia vs femur)? also if 3 months is too aggressive a goal (given 3 inch target) then what would be a more reasonable target for walking (with aid) - 5 months? 6 months? Also, given good tibia femur ratio, which segment should I lengthen. plz provide your expert input. Thanks.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #468 on: September 26, 2017, 07:54:56 PM »

Dear sweetone6. I have answered you via email.

Best regards.

PS, you are welcome to post the answers if you wish. For confidentiality reasons I answered you privately.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #469 on: September 26, 2017, 07:59:34 PM »

Thanks Dr. for answering our questions. I want to have limb lengthening surgery in next one year. I have been researching from last 4 years. My tibia and femur are pretty much well proportioned (one not relatively shorter then other), I want to have exactly 3 inches (not a mm less not a mm more :)). My problem is that I cannot spend more than 55-56k USD (all included) and cannot take break from (normal office desk job) work for more than 3 months. I can walk with a walker/crutches though while working. How do you so see it becoming possible (e.g. internal vs external, tibia vs femur)? also if 3 months is too aggressive a goal (given 3 inch target) then what would be a more reasonable target for walking (with aid) - 5 months? 6 months? Also, given good tibia femur ratio, which segment should I lengthen. plz provide your expert input. Thanks.

Hi

7.5 cm is a sizeable goal best achieved with two segments to preserve the ratio. With a limited budget and time constraints, a single femoral Precice lengthening will give you the best bang for your buck. I do think your target will then have to be adjusted to 6-6.5cm though.

« Reply #470 on: October 02, 2017, 02:27:22 AM »

Hi

7.5 cm is a sizeable goal best achieved with two segments to preserve the ratio. With a limited budget and time constraints, a single femoral Precice lengthening will give you the best bang for your buck. I do think your target will then have to be adjusted to 6-6.5cm though.

Thanks for the reply dr. , much appreciated.

Time4LL

« Reply #471 on: December 20, 2017, 05:47:37 PM »

Any updates on pricing or anything else, Dr. Birkholtz?

Adrianmunee

• Visitor
« Reply #472 on: December 26, 2017, 12:44:59 AM »

Dr. Birkholtz, I have sent you a message and I have couple of questions came to mind,

1) Can I lengthen in my country (Canada) if I did Precice 2? And come back after 2-3 months? Is this possible? I would do the X-rays in Canada and send it by email. If there is complications, then I would fly to SA to fix it.

2) I'm also around 60Kg (132Lbs) of weight and 165cm tall so if Precice 2 can handle 75lbs load bearing each leg, then can I walk (with crouches ofcourse) safely while lengthening?

Time4LL

« Reply #473 on: January 19, 2018, 03:10:21 PM »

Does anyone know what happened to Dr. Birkholtz? I had him picked out as my LL doctor and now it seems he has disappeared.

Android

« Reply #474 on: January 19, 2018, 08:50:12 PM »

Does anyone know what happened to Dr. Birkholtz? I had him picked out as my LL doctor and now it seems he has disappeared.

He hasn't disappeared, he's just not as active on the forums. You can still reach out to him and his team here.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Time4LL

« Reply #475 on: January 19, 2018, 10:51:48 PM »

Thank you Android. I will try that. I have tried other emails but nothing seems to work.

Android

« Reply #476 on: January 19, 2018, 10:56:33 PM »

Thank you Android. I will try that. I have tried other emails but nothing seems to work.

I reached out fairly recently via that form and was able to get in touch with the receptionist. Good luck!
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

fransbio6

• Visitor
« Reply #477 on: January 31, 2018, 10:46:53 PM »

Hello Dr. Franz!

Here are some questions.

1) Does a quadrilateral lenghtening of 8cm (4cm tibia and 4 cm femur) have better recuperation than a 6cm femur?
2) As a smoker that I am, how much time before the surgery do you recommend to stop?

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #478 on: February 04, 2018, 08:31:41 PM »

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the silence. I have decided to limit my time on the forums as it really sucks up a lot of time... (I think everyone will agree with this :-) )

To answer a few questions:
1) Yes, I still do CLL.
2) My preferred technique is still Precice femorals with an ideal upper limit of 6.5cm for safety reasons.
3) Our updated pricing is available from my receptionist, Tessa at reception@walkamile.co.za
4) Smoking is a contra-indication to CLL. You need to be an ex-smoker if you want to embark on CLL. Probably at least 3 months clear.
5) With regards to quadrilateral lengthening: I personally think the risk of doing all 4 segments in 1 go is too much.
6) I have performed humerus lengthening for CLL with Precice. Forearm lengthening not safe.

Hope this helps.

Btw, my receptionist is probably the best first contact, as she tends to answer emails more diligently than I do!
Otherwise, welcome to try franz.birkholtz@walkamile.co.za

myloginacct

« Reply #479 on: February 05, 2018, 12:20:52 AM »

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the silence. I have decided to limit my time on the forums as it really sucks up a lot of time... (I think everyone will agree with this :-) )

To answer a few questions:
1) Yes, I still do CLL.
2) My preferred technique is still Precice femorals with an ideal upper limit of 6.5cm for safety reasons.
3) Our updated pricing is available from my receptionist, Tessa at reception@walkamile.co.za
4) Smoking is a contra-indication to CLL. You need to be an ex-smoker if you want to embark on CLL. Probably at least 3 months clear.
5) With regards to quadrilateral lengthening: I personally think the risk of doing all 4 segments in 1 go is too much.
6) I have performed humerus lengthening for CLL with Precice. Forearm lengthening not safe.

Hope this helps.

Btw, my receptionist is probably the best first contact, as she tends to answer emails more diligently than I do!
Otherwise, welcome to try franz.birkholtz@walkamile.co.za

Hello doctor Franz. If you ever read this, could you tell me what do you see as the ideal upper limit for tibial lengthening?

Stadiometers

• Esquire "Esq."
« Reply #480 on: February 05, 2018, 09:47:37 AM »

Excludes daily physiotherapy after release from hospital.

Conversion to U.S. Dollar 5-February-2018:

R 580,000 = $48,360

RSGC

• Visitor
« Reply #481 on: February 21, 2018, 05:22:31 AM »

Has anyone been in contact with Dr. Franz recently? Am interested in getting ll done with him, sent an email but no response

Android

« Reply #482 on: February 21, 2018, 07:38:42 AM »

Has anyone been in contact with Dr. Franz recently? Am interested in getting ll done with him, sent an email but no response

As Dr. Franz recommended I'd reach out Tessa, his receptionist, if you haven't already: reception@walkamile.co.za

RSGC

• Visitor
« Reply #483 on: February 21, 2018, 08:17:46 AM »

As Dr. Franz recommended I'd reach out Tessa, his receptionist, if you haven't already: reception@walkamile.co.za

Yeah I actually emailed her first before emailing him. Maybe they're busy recently, hopefully he gets back to me soon.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #484 on: February 27, 2018, 07:20:42 PM »

Hi,

My upper safe limits are 6.5 for femurs and 5-5.5 for tibias.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #485 on: February 27, 2018, 07:23:32 PM »

I need you to be around during the distraction phase, as this is the risky phase where I need to keep a close eye for your safety.

All our patients walk with crutches during distraction, but you may need to use a double leg stance if you are on the heavier side. Our physios are really good at helping in this regard.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #486 on: February 27, 2018, 07:25:34 PM »

Yes, unfortunately very busy atm. I suspect I might have answered you by email earlier tonight.

If not, you are welcome to resend your query to my private email address fbirkholtz@gmail.com and I will endeavour to answer as soon as possible...

Taller7x

• Visitor
« Reply #487 on: April 08, 2018, 10:39:29 PM »

Greetings. I would like to know if lymphedema and chronic venous insufficiency would preclude one from pursuing limb lengthening.
If yes, is it in all cases or depending on the gravity of these conditions?
For example, would lymphedema affecting only the feet preclude one from femur lengthening? One thing reading about lymphedema that caught my interest was how even minor injuries could turn into life threatening infections.
Also, with the surgery being invasive, am I right in assuming some damage to the lymph system and its components would be caused, worsening the condition?

myloginacct

« Reply #488 on: April 09, 2018, 01:20:32 AM »

Greetings. I would like to know if lymphedema and chronic venous insufficiency would preclude one from pursuing limb lengthening.
If yes, is it in all cases or depending on the gravity of these conditions?
For example, would lymphedema affecting only the feet preclude one from femur lengthening? One thing reading about lymphedema that caught my interest was how even minor injuries could turn into life threatening infections.
Also, with the surgery being invasive, am I right in assuming some damage to the lymph system and its components would be caused, worsening the condition?

E-mail him your question.

franz.birkholtz [at] walkamile [dot] co [dot] za

Stadiometer, Esq

« Reply #489 on: May 05, 2018, 05:57:37 PM »

STRYDE availability to patients is undetermined....
banned:  multiple accounts not allowed (Stadiometer, Esq, Oh So Arrogant, Jcold)

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #490 on: June 17, 2018, 08:35:18 PM »

Hi all,

For those of you who have emailed me: apologies. Work and travel seems to be taking all my time. Hence the slow (no?) responses via email. Of course my current existing patients get first choice for my attention. Not really good for new business I guess. :-)

I have decided to also give you an alternative email address to contact us. Dr Marie-Marì Alberts is my Clinical Practice Manager and also assists me in the operating room with all my cases. We also see eachother daily, so she has a pretty direct line to me. Her email address is m3@walkamile.co.za

Meanwhile, I will try and continue my email sweep and hopefully respond to everyone’s emails in due course.

Best regards,

Franz

Zeo

« Reply #491 on: June 18, 2018, 08:00:26 AM »

Hi all,

For those of you who have emailed me: apologies. Work and travel seems to be taking all my time. Hence the slow (no?) responses via email. Of course my current existing patients get first choice for my attention. Not really good for new business I guess. :-)

I have decided to also give you an alternative email address to contact us. Dr Marie-Marì Alberts is my Clinical Practice Manager and also assists me in the operating room with all my cases. We also see eachother daily, so she has a pretty direct line to me. Her email address is m3@walkamile.co.za

Meanwhile, I will try and continue my email sweep and hopefully respond to everyone’s emails in due course.

Best regards,

Franz

Hi Dr. Birkholtz thanks for the update. I’ll email Dr. Alberts with my questions. I think the most common question is regarding when Stryde will be available in SA.

Hope everything is going well in your practice. Best wishes.
I will be grateful for this day. I will be grateful for each day to come.

tlannister

« Reply #492 on: August 02, 2018, 08:14:16 AM »

Hi Dr. Birkholtz thanks for the update. I’ll email Dr. Alberts with my questions. I think the most common question is regarding when Stryde will be available in SA.

Hope everything is going well in your practice. Best wishes.

did you ever get to know when Stryde would be available?

Leggs

« Reply #493 on: August 17, 2018, 05:37:09 PM »

Dr. Birkholtz was the first surgeon in Africa to offer PRECICE, so it makes sense that he will be the first surgeon in Africa to offer STRYDE. Unfortunately, no date is available for STRYDE in Africa.

http://www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/426/94291.html

tlannister

« Reply #494 on: August 17, 2018, 07:09:49 PM »

just wanted to say thanks to Leggs for continously polling different surgeons for STRYDE availability. good job

Leggs

« Reply #495 on: August 18, 2018, 04:27:57 PM »

Sure man, you're welcome.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up