Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal or External Methods  (Read 26234 times)

concernedmom

Internal or External Methods
« on: January 15, 2015, 11:25:20 PM »

Which one is safer as far as infections are concerned? External is uncomfortable, but maybe the chance of infections is less? Also femur or tibia for external methods?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
Re: Internal or External Methods
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 11:29:50 PM »

If infections are all you care about, go with internals.  As long as everything is sterile during the first operation there won't be a problem.

With externals there's always a risk of infection.  Although I was infection-free with my externals, even in filthy Guang Ji Hospital.  I credit that to never showering or cleaning the pinsites.  I just left them alone and they didn't get infected.

concernedmom

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 11:39:06 PM »

Thank you. Also I read blood clots are more common with tibia than femur? Will tibia surgery cause the knee issues, or the femur extensions?

ReadRothbard

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 12:34:34 AM »

Tibial surgery won't cause knee issues, although some have reported knee pain from LON and LATN.

How much money would you be willing to spend on a surgery for your son?
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

concernedmom

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 06:16:09 PM »

Have no idea. I have spent a lot of money on medical tests, GH, Lupron. After doing some research found that tibia will work for me. What would be the reasonable price? There is one doctor in la close to us, Mahboudian very expensive. With that price I can go to Germany. The question is should I do both femur and tibia. I think moneywise I will not be able to afford both ops.Any suggestions?

GeTs

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 06:36:48 PM »

Have no idea. I have spent a lot of money on medical tests, GH, Lupron. After doing some research found that tibia will work for me. What would be the reasonable price? There is one doctor in la close to us, Mahboudian very expensive. With that price I can go to Germany. The question is should I do both femur and tibia. I think moneywise I will not be able to afford both ops.Any suggestions?
for u or ur son?

concernedmom

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 01:12:05 AM »

For my both kids.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 01:20:42 AM »

Dr. Paley might perform the surgery at a reduced cost--he says he has done that before. I'd also look up Dr. Guichet in France.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

concernedmom

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 07:58:50 AM »

Thanks. Have heard a lot about Guichet! Expensive.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 08:09:06 AM »

He is very expensive, but he should be much cheaper than Dr. Paley when all is said and done.

Future space tycoon

concernedmom

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 04:07:20 PM »

Good to know. How about Betz! Reading the report he is not bad! Depending what method to use! My son's tibias are shorter than femur. Originally I was thinking about femur lengthening, now since I measured should be tibia. I read about blood clots possibly after tibia!

KrP1

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 04:21:06 PM »

Good to know. How about Betz! Reading the report he is not bad! Depending what method to use! My son's tibias are shorter than femur. Originally I was thinking about femur lengthening, now since I measured should be tibia. I read about blood clots possibly after tibia!

why are you doing all these things if your son didnt tell you anything about his height? maybe he is happy with it , stop looking things that you dont even now if he want to do

Blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 04:44:49 PM »

why are you doing all these things if your son didnt tell you anything about his height? maybe he is happy with it , stop looking things that you dont even now if he want to do

Her son I think is about 5'3".  I'm pretty sure he is not happy with his height.  He's already getting things like GH.  She would know if he was happy with his height.  I wish my mom cared this much about my height and the affects it would have on my life.  My mom cared, but all she would actually do is say things like "don't worry, you will grow" or "you'll have a late growth spurt". I wish she would have done more.

TomD

• Private
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 06:23:06 PM »

Her son I think is about 5'3".  I'm pretty sure he is not happy with his height.  He's already getting things like GH.  She would know if he was happy with his height.  I wish my mom cared this much about my height and the affects it would have on my life.  My mom cared, but all she would actually do is say things like "don't worry, you will grow" or "you'll have a late growth spurt". I wish she would have done more.

My parents kept lying to me. They kept telling me I would end up 5ft 11 or 6ft.  :-\
In other words they didnt know what to do about it and couldnt be bothered to put up with my concerns.

KrP1

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 07:17:15 PM »

she is doing pretty well right now with HGH but i think is not the moment to think in LL maybe in 3 years

Taller

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 07:18:03 PM »

ALL the good and reputable internal cosmetic LL doctors are similar in price to Dr. Mahboubian. Dr. Mahboubian is actually one of the cheaper ones. He has also performed cosmetic leg lengthening on several teenagers (like one boy who went from 5'3 to 5'6 for $45,000). He'll do tibiae for $45,000 with a Taylor Spatial frame. If you want cheap LL in the United States, and don't mind going to a doctor who uses advertising that sometimes takes advantage of the insecurities of short people, then I think that Dr. Mahboubian is a very solid choice.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 09:51:24 PM »

Yeah, I've never had a problem with Dr. M, but I didn't recommend him to her because I didn't know he was that inexpensive.

Future space tycoon

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 10:06:03 PM »

I don't have any problem with him either.  He's a licensed orthopedic surgeon in the USA who's been in business for years.  That means something.  Bad doctors will get sued out of practice really fast in America.

concernedmom

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 11:43:52 PM »

Because I know later on he is going to have problems. I know from my personal experience. He is only 15. If his peers start passing him in height, one day he will ask if he is going to be tall. I would say no, it is too late. Especially for men this is important.

concernedmom

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 11:45:45 PM »

I don't think dr M. is cheap though. With that price you could do the same operation overseas. He also does not have that much of an experience. Internal precice is 75,000.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 11:57:37 PM »

My parents kept lying to me. They kept telling me I would end up 5ft 11 or 6ft.  :-\
In other words they didnt know what to do about it and couldnt be bothered to put up with my concerns.

Same thing. I was supposed to be that (actually about 6'1-6'2), but my growth was somehow stunted.

Future space tycoon

ReadRothbard

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 12:00:27 AM »

There are many overseas doctors in the limb lengthening doctors section of the website. I suggest you check it out.

Future space tycoon

Blackhawk

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 12:30:24 AM »

My doctor told me when I was about 10 that I would be 5'11", which is my dad's height.  I was almost always the shortest kid in class.  I knew I probably wouldn't be close to 5'11".  I wish we had the money for hgh.  Oh well, I guess I'll just have to break both if my legs.  ;)

ItsMyLife

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 01:01:17 AM »

I don't have any problem with him either.  He's a licensed orthopedic surgeon in the USA who's been in business for years.  That means something.  Bad doctors will get sued out of practice really fast in America.

sometimes u can do a bad job but fall short of losing a malpractice suit

ItsMyLife

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 01:02:55 AM »

Because I know later on he is going to have problems. I know from my personal experience. He is only 15. If his peers start passing him in height, one day he will ask if he is going to be tall. I would say no, it is too late. Especially for men this is important.

agree, u are a good mahdur

Uppland

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 01:32:51 AM »

You are very frank to admit this.

I must stress: this is a dangerous surgery and obviously the safety of your child is paramount and takes precedence over mere money. Dr. Paley is generally regarded as an exellent surgeon with acess to modern and comfortable facilities, he is however perhaps the most expensive limb lengthening doctor of them all.

Dr, Guichet (who actually moved his clinic to Italy) also enjoys an excellent reputation particularly for his focus on athletic recovery which seems to yield excellent results. This includes a strict regime of physical therapy which can be very taxing, he is also very costly but not quite on Dr. Paleys level.

These are the doctors I know of but I'm sure there are alternatives. Though wherever you go expect the surgery to be costly, painful, time consuming, and more or less dangerous.

Wish you and your children luck. Remeber to research and to never compromise with safety.

concernedmom

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 01:43:30 AM »

Thank you so much for the info. Safety comes first. If I am going to do this, then rather pay more not to compromise with health and safety. I will do a lot research again, before we do it. All of you guys are great support. thank you.

TomD

• Private
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2015, 04:25:29 AM »

I am not a doctor nor have I had CLL yet but I would strongly suggest you refrain from having this surgery before he is 21. Especially before age 18.

Perhaps I am reading it wrong .

concernedmom

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2015, 09:53:40 AM »

You are correct. I am going to wait. He might still grow some. Also I need to save money before I can do it. We will see. Who knows by then maybe new techniques may be discovered.

Sanity

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2018, 02:54:09 PM »

If infections are all you care about, go with internals.  As long as everything is sterile during the first operation there won't be a problem.

With externals there's always a risk of infection.  Although I was infection-free with my externals, even in filthy Guang Ji Hospital.  I credit that to never showering or cleaning the pinsites.  I just left them alone and they didn't get infected.

did that actually work. im curious. ive heard not cleaning the pinsites is the major cause of infections there. ur stating the exact opposite. I too agree with u but generally ppl always clean pinsites regularly. if thats true we need to re-evaluate wats better.
post ll:  5'10.5  (+2.25 in)

taller_in_Kiev

• Put your energy to good uses. Don't waste it.
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2018, 04:12:38 PM »

Internal, why would anyone even consider external in this day and age?! It is barbaric and well well outdated. And always femurs over tibias, it doesn't matter if tibias are shorter. Tibias should be a consideration only after femurs are lengthened.
If you'll consider overseas, my doctor offers internal for around $50k including a 3 month stay. I put just under 4 inches on my femurs back in 2004.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up