Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Posting Guidelines  - Should Mods be stricter or more relax ?

Freedom Of Speech Above All  -  Mods should relax and let it unfold
Stricter Application Of Rules -  Mods should be more strict
Balance Between The Two  - Mods should intervene only when neccessary

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moderating Rude Members  (Read 9689 times)

Muse

Moderating Rude Members
« on: February 13, 2015, 02:53:18 PM »

1) Freedom Of Speech Above All -  mods should rarely delete posts and minimize banning even if it means more potential arguments and rules violations

2) Stricter Application of Rules  -  mods should delete posts, lock thread or ban members when the guidelines are violated. 

3) Balance Between The Two -  mods should intervene only when necessary, give benefit of the doubt within reason but enforce strictly when it's required.

There's been feedback about rude members who insult others and generate a negative atmosphere on the forum.  We want members feedback on how it should be resolved.

When this site was started, the intent was to let posters have more freedom in posting. There were times when we thought about getting more strict with moderation, but when it was suggested, most of the users who responded seemed to have a negative opinion about stricter posting guidelines. It now looks like the popular opinion of the board is swaying the other way and more strict posting guidelines and moderating is what's wanted.

A topic will be posted where everyone can give their feedback so we can reach a decision on this matter. Obviously we're not going to be able to please everyone but we're not ignoring the concerns of the members here.

Should there be stricter moderating and posting guidelines?   Do you guys think mods should become more active in deleting things like rudeness & warning rude members or take a relaxed approach?

Reference:  Forum Rules of Violation http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1007.0

I believe there should be a 3 Strike Policy to keep rude members in check.   Members who receive 3 Warnings from the moderators for violating forum guidelines should be partially banned for two weeks automatically. 

After the partial ban, mods should then allow the member to return for one final chance or decide to make it a permanent ban  , depending on the severity of the violations. 

KrP1

Re: Moderating Rude Members
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 03:43:50 PM »

i think that members in the fórum doesnt want this to be like the old fórum, where there is a dictatorship.
my opinión is that there must be some rules, like no abuse between members, no spam ,but not much more. And being carefull with bans to members, not to ban members easy and without reason and in that case some temporary bans before a permanent one.

Uppland

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 04:44:06 PM »

Spam and abuse are a given but I also think we should try to be more about limb lenghtening and less about discussing other things. Propose these rules:

-No threads about political, ethical, religious issues that doesn't relate to LL.

-No passive agressive topics about women, "being alpha" or such. Threads about dealing with heightism and tips for short guys are great but bitter threads doesn't add anything valuable -it only weighs us all down.

-No irrelevant personal threads like girls issues, something strange on the facebook wall or similar, unless they add something to us LL patients like for example someone with LL-like proportions or a new stretching routine.

-Finally I think we should pressure people making claims to have a reason behind that claim. For example is someone states that a Doctor is "X" he should also state the reason "Y", not everything can be backed up by a linked source of course but everyone should at least tell us why he/she says what he/she says. People posting scary stories while refusing to tell us who, why or what when we ask is just detrimental, a given reason for all statements should be required. If someone posts that 20% is a safe limit for lenghtening then there needs to be a reference to where the poster heard it at the very least -and preferably a verifyable source. I know I'm not alone in being frustrated on the amount of unsupported stuff being presented as "facts" on here, it's important that we strive for a higher standard, there are peoples health on the line here.

tallerbetter

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 05:43:57 PM »

No spam and no religious, political, racial or gender abuse, but freedom of speech above all. People have the right to discuss topics not directly related to LL in the Off-topic section (hence its name), and people can make whatever claims they want if they don't abuse other people. A forum is not a scientific journal, but a place to discuss with people with the same interests than yours. I don't think you need to back your opinions with reasons and arguments. If you do it, it's OK, but it shouldn't be necessary. We're no doctors. We're friends discussing a topic.

Uppland

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 06:37:27 PM »

No spam and no religious, political, racial or gender abuse, but freedom of speech above all. People have the right to discuss topics not directly related to LL in the Off-topic section (hence its name), and people can make whatever claims they want if they don't abuse other people. A forum is not a scientific journal, but a place to discuss with people with the same interests than yours. I don't think you need to back your opinions with reasons and arguments. If you do it, it's OK, but it shouldn't be necessary. We're no doctors. We're friends discussing a topic.

I would rather have the forum be less social if it meant we could have more accurate information. We are here to learn about limb lenghtening so that we can be safe, not to hang out with friends. Our members health is the main priority, it's not okay when people say things like doing 9-10CM on one segment is safe -that's how people get their legs ruined.

Puertoricanwasp123

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 06:51:50 PM »

1. Let your job be easier, only intervene when there's a complaint.

2. The three strike should only apply to very rude people, it is easy to forget through a period of years about the minor rules so if the person is being harmless to the community you can delete their post with a notice without putting a mark in their file, of course if the person is noticed about the same issue and they don't listen then start staining them here.

3. There should be like a death sentence (cases where the crime is so bad that they only get one last chance if any at all)

4. We would like also to have better message etiquette, answer your users' PMs don't ignore us ( I am not talking about a specific person).

5. If a new thread is bad or simply an alpha male just close it but no penalty to the user.

6. Add all the new rules people suggested to the page itself and make them well crafted so that nobody can game the system and whatever rules they are,there can't be anyone above the law.

7. Romantic approaches are a big no.

Outgrown

• "Long enough to touch the ground" -Abraham Lincoln
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 02:10:04 AM »

Freedom of speech - I'm sure we are all mature enough and that everyone here will treat others much like how they will treat themselves, rules should apply against threats, scams, and false information.
5"6 and proud

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 03:53:03 AM »

1. Let your job be easier, only intervene when there's a complaint.

I agree, I also think it would be a good idea to let the person who has been deemed inappropriate(on a thread) have a chance to apologies in private message to the person they have offended. sometimes people state things in the moment and are sorry for those words when they re read them later.

the offended person should have an opportunity to hear them(alleged perpetrator) out and decide if they want to accept the apology and/dismiss the charge after it has been brought to the admins attention. this would also serve to increase communication between conflicting parties which may help to eliminate future issues due to this better communication.

if the admin has been notified( after an alleged insult), , and the person given a chance to apologize, and then if the person(who was insulted)  is still mad and does not forgive them, then the administrators can then decide if the insult warrants a warning and who was in the wrong taking into account the initial instigator and insulter.
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

ItsMyLife

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 08:56:59 AM »

It is always a balance. I think I am more in favour however of  a stricter regime. Some members are very rude and insulting and this drives patients away. Patients (like me) feel less inclined to update our diaries and be subject to rude comments or negative comments. That is why many people do retroactive diaries. They do not want to be affected psychologically by such rude people.

Disobedient

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 02:48:56 PM »

maybe we can just make an exception for patient's diary and doctors thread ..

rather than that I don't see any problem if the members express their opinions even the rude one.

Uppland

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 03:20:49 PM »

maybe we can just make an exception for patient's diary and doctors thread ..

This is an alternative, diaries might just need stricter rules.

-Anyway I've made my opinion clear and the moderators will decide what it's worth, I'm sure they'll make the right call.

Shor7Guy

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 08:33:10 PM »

wassup buddy? bit sensitive?

Puertoricanwasp123

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 09:35:25 PM »

I would be psychologically affected by those insults if these people knew for sure who I am, but I’m hiding behind an alias and I don’t mind.

I second that, I don't mind the insults I just think its unfair for the forum to be polluted.

(On a side note They should pick someone like ReadRothbard as an admin he's got almost 1 thousand posts).

programdude

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 07:48:05 PM »

I think to keep the environment healthy it really should be limited to blatant spam and really excessive rudeness(not just strong opinions).

I think anyone who has thin enough skin to be really affected by some harsh language really shouldn't be considering LL in the first place. I don't see the harm in patients being able to moderate comments in their diary though.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

Taller

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 09:33:29 PM »

I don't see the harm in patients being able to moderate comments in their diary though.

I agree with this. Patients should have the ability to remove comments from their diaries at any time, and ban certain users from posting in them, if they so choose.

Confirmed doctors should be able to do this for their own directory threads as well.

KrP1

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 09:38:37 PM »

I agree with this. Patients should have the ability to remove comments from their diaries at any time, and ban certain users from posting in them, if they so choose.

Confirmed doctors should be able to do this for their own directory threads as well.

i dont agree with you, no one except the admins should ban anyone or delete the comments of others .  but there is one important thing, members of the fórum must be able to delete their comments at any time in all the threads.

Uppland

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 10:00:04 PM »

wassup buddy? bit sensitive?

Me?

No, I'm not sensitive at all but rude comments often scare away members we need, like Dr. Monegal for example. Personally I couldn't care less, the only ting I'm interested in is clear, unbiased and correct information that will help to keep me as safe as possible.

programdude

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 10:15:45 PM »

Im not sure about dr.'s being able to remove comments as that would suggest the ability to remove criticisms or hard questions etc.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

afonso

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 10:49:02 PM »

Spam, direct threats, personal attacks, insults, and sexual advances should all be strictly moderated.  People should feel comfortable to express themselves freely.  As for opinions that should be an open field.   I also think we should be able to delete and edit our own posts.

Taller

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 12:00:22 AM »

Im not sure about dr.'s being able to remove comments as that would suggest the ability to remove criticisms or hard questions etc.

These can all be raised in other threads. It would be horrible for doctor to see his page full of posts that call him a retard with little to no proof and no medical backing.

Shor7Guy

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 01:47:36 AM »

Me?

No, I'm not sensitive at all but rude comments often scare away members we need, like Dr. Monegal for example. Personally I couldn't care less, the only ting I'm interested in is clear, unbiased and correct information that will help to keep me as safe as possible.

not you OP

TomD

• Private
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 01:53:21 AM »

Its always been my opinion that there should be moderators and there should be a balance between free speech and necessary censorship.

The moderators are given powers to use their judgement to decide whether a member is giving his/her honest opinion about a topic or they are simply trying to inflame the conversation or outright personally attack other members.

The rule of thumb on most forums I have been on is that attacking a member's post is ok if done with some tact , but attacking the poster themselves is an infraction and illegal.

For example

Fair :

This post strikes me as vague and not contributing to the discussion. I disagree with it entirely and i might go on to give my reasons or not blah blah....

Illegal :

The member who made this post is a clown and should shut up or grow a brain before posting again.

Lets let the moderators determine this. If the member is cited for poor display, the member can appeal to Daemon that they disagree with the moderators decision.

Cheers

ItsMyLife

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 05:04:01 AM »

Its always been my opinion that there should be moderators and there should be a balance between free speech and necessary censorship.

The moderators are given powers to use their judgement to decide whether a member is giving his/her honest opinion about a topic or they are simply trying to inflame the conversation or outright personally attack other members.

The rule of thumb on most forums I have been on is that attacking a member's post is ok if done with some tact , but attacking the poster themselves is an infraction and illegal.

For example

Fair :

This post strikes me as vague and not contributing to the discussion. I disagree with it entirely and i might go on to give my reasons or not blah blah....

Illegal :

The member who made this post is a clown and should shut up or grow a brain before posting again.

Lets let the moderators determine this. If the member is cited for poor display, the member can appeal to Daemon that they disagree with the moderators decision.

Cheers

constant attacks against a member's point of view in his diary should also be prohibited. it probably counts as hogging, though I thinkt the bigger issue is the member's psych well-being. I am not really affected by negative comments made about my point of view, or even against me as a person (because of anonymity). However, I think comments made against DOCTORS are far more defamatory and they feel much more hurt. which is why I totally could not understand FP's rudeness and inane behaviour. As far as patients are concerned, I know surgeon friends and they say that psych well-being is v important for healing. look up the placebo effect for instance, it is scary what the mind can do. So I think people shd refrain from posting excessively aggressive negative comments on patient diaries, esp when they are currently recovering/lengthening.

KrP1

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 10:50:16 AM »

constant attacks against a member's point of view in his diary should also be prohibited. it probably counts as hogging, though I thinkt the bigger issue is the member's psych well-being. I am not really affected by negative comments made about my point of view, or even against me as a person (because of anonymity). However, I think comments made against DOCTORS are far more defamatory and they feel much more hurt. which is why I totally could not understand FP's rudeness and inane behaviour. As far as patients are concerned, I know surgeon friends and they say that psych well-being is v important for healing. look up the placebo effect for instance, it is scary what the mind can do. So I think people shd refrain from posting excessively aggressive negative comments on patient diaries, esp when they are currently recovering/lengthening.

Ok so we will only write  comments that the patient wants to hear and not  the comments that says what is better for him? Like oh yeah do 8cm in your tibs!!yeah go for it!you will be fine and no lost of athletic abilites!

ItsMyLife

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 12:19:03 PM »

Ok so we will only write  comments that the patient wants to hear and not  the comments that [they think] says what is better for him? Like oh yeah do 8cm in your tibs!!yeah go for it!you will be fine and no lost of athletic abilites!

I totally agree with KirP1. Members should ideally only write comments that the patients want to hear, and also their own point of view which is substantiated with adequate evidence and not just repeating (comments that THEY THINK says what is better, not what is better - how would they know what is better as a matter of absolute fact?). Hence I totally understand your frustration bro.

KrP1

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 01:24:55 PM »

I totally agree with KirP1. Members should ideally only write comments that the patients want to hear, and also their own point of view which is substantiated with adequate evidence and not just repeating (comments that THEY THINK says what is better, not what is better - how would they know what is better as a matter of absolute fact?). Hence I totally understand your frustration bro.

http://www.paleyinstitute.org/?q=node/47

ItsMyLife

Pages: [1]   Go Up