Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pin-site infections and shower  (Read 13225 times)

just_me

Pin-site infections and shower
« on: March 15, 2015, 09:17:09 AM »

Is it OK to take shower and also shower the fixators if there are pin-site infections?

ForcedPuberty

Re: Pin-site infections and shower
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 09:31:51 AM »

i think no.

but I haven't asked.
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

ItsMyLife

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 09:59:00 AM »

No.

crimsontide

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 12:51:45 PM »

showering with fixators is a good thing

not sure about when have infection... but im guessing yes to that as welll

but showering with fixators on is usually highly recommended

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 06:20:46 PM »

I never took a shower and never got a pin infection.  Yeah, the sample size is 1 but I think keeping moisture to a minimum is for the best, that's why I refused to shower the whole time I was there.

just_me

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 06:26:24 PM »

@Medium Drink Of Water! How long time did you have the fixators on your legs?

crimsontide

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 06:31:56 PM »

taking showers with the fixators is recommended by dr rozbruch,...

in russia or india, they do things differently, but in  non third world nations,  showering is not discouraged

i didnt take a shower  based on  bagirov's advice... i  definitely had multiple pinsite infections

id say 99% of people will get a pinsite infection.... showering is recommended by the top drs

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 10:44:02 PM »

@Medium Drink Of Water! How long time did you have the fixators on your legs?

5 months.

Joel

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 07:13:50 PM »

5 months.
wtf you didn't shower for 5 months bro do u even hygiene ?
5'5 manlet of peace

Keep Growing

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 09:38:41 AM »

You can use some bandage covers for showering: http://www.mobilitycentre.co.nz/product/1127882

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 10:02:24 AM »

One the staples were removed for the tib and fib osteotomies, Parihar okayed showering with the frames on. Just have to make sure to dry off thoroughly and change your dressings afterward.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Taller

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 10:10:51 AM »

wtf you didn't shower for 5 months bro do u even hygiene ?

Lol I was wondering the same. Was your hair crusted solid by the end of the 5 months?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 06:31:35 PM »

Nah, my hair was actually fine, and as long as I kept my armpits shaved and used deodorant I didn't smell bad.  People and animals have lived for millions of years without needing to bathe constantly.

ibuse

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 11:58:09 PM »

I never asked my doctor, but everyone at least used trash bags while showering. I did bird baths at the sink until I had my frame removed. But we also weren't allowed to drink the water, so showering is not something I wanted to do. Also, we were wrapped in bandages at our pin sites and had them cleaned/changed weekly, so getting wet was not ideal. One girl I knew got an infection, and she showered with trash bags and put oil/girly products on her skin. So I suspect that's what triggered it, because the rest of us never got an infection with the once a week bandage change.

zaozari

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2022, 06:12:03 PM »

I have decided to start my LL plan by tibias and externals. The disadvantages are bearing the bulky fixators and control the pins infection.
There's some debate around if it's better having shower or simply not because "clean" water is of course also still a source of microbes despite abundance of soap and pin aftercare.

I would like to ask those who have already done it or anybody else who might have known something, for example doctors advice, if the article in the following link may help.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bloccs-Child-Short-Waterproof-Cover/dp/B007UONM2C/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?crid=2C7G35E3095OJ&keywords=bloccs+waterproof+cast+cover&qid=1645120847&sprefix=bloccs%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-8

However I would still don't know if there's an adult size elastic enough that can be put in place due to bulkiness of fixators....

zaozari

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2022, 03:10:10 PM »

The full circunference of these seems to be 28 + 28 = 56 cm.
Does any of the veterans having done tibias with externals think this is enough to pass through the fixators up and protect pins legs down?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07DFPVYDH/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWw

zaozari

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2022, 06:05:18 PM »

I'm searching accomodation near the hospitals where I may do LL because I need to have a full budget and prefer to maybe make reservations that I can still cancel with some anticipation.
But, let alone stairs,  I wonder: in one of the cheapest, the bathroom has a bathtub, not a simple. shower.
Do you think I will have range of motion or any other problem entering a bathtub with externals on tibias? I may have aid but still....

Sorcerer

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2022, 12:33:58 AM »

You can clean your body with wet towel and eliminate the bad smells with deodorants.

Pikachu

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2022, 03:04:44 PM »

Is it safe to wash your lower leg if you have a fixator on Femur? Also is there way that you guys can suggest to cover the leg while having a shower? I have already read that water interaction should be avoided during the lengthening but man, I cannot think months without having a shower. If anyone has an idea to make this easier please inform me as well.

boklecrt

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2022, 01:45:47 AM »

Internal nails - full body shower/swimming pool after 2 weeks for the wounds to heal

Externals:
1. tibia external - with a trash bag secured with scotch tape above the knees; make sure NO water goes into the bag. Preferably timed with change of bandages immediately after surgery to reduce moisture.
When you remove the trash bags be careful to roll it on itself not to get any water on the bandages or the frame.
Optional - hair dryer on cold setting after removal of trash bags if you cant get a bandage change right after

2. femur external - no showering for the duration of the frame. Clean ass with wet wipes after toilet and armpits and crotch with a wet towel. You chose hardmode LL, deal with it
5 cm gained through LON Tibia with Quynh in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
March 2022
SLAYER

sphenopetroclival

• Views don't represent views of Stanford Medicine
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2023, 01:47:51 PM »

Is it OK to take shower and also shower the fixators if there are pin-site infections?

You would ask your LL physician; an online forum like this isn't going to consistently yield credible clinical advice.

https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7171-9248
LL “doctors” to avoid marked as *MOVED below.They’ve been reinstated as a professional courtesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up