Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bilateral Femur Lengthening with Dr. Paley 2015 (Q&A, not Journal)  (Read 25237 times)

mb53

So I had my surgery on the 22nd and was just discharged from the hospital about an hour ago. I don't think I'll be up for writing an extensive journal, but I'd be more than willing to answer any questions you guys might have about the operation, pain, etc.

Iamready

Re: Bilateral Femur Lengthening with Dr. Paley 2015 (Q&A, not Journal)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 09:52:26 PM »

Have a good experience.  I wish you well.  I will be visiting Paley at the end of August for a consultation.

mb53

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 03:50:53 PM »

This is getting no replies... I might be willing to do a journal if I'm bored enough. I'm only 12 days post-op.

alps

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 05:18:22 PM »

did it hurt?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 05:35:42 PM »

Do you have much contact with Dr Paley or is most of it through his fellows or other hospital staff?
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

mb53

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 11:51:47 PM »

Do you have much contact with Dr Paley or is most of it through his fellows or other hospital staff?
I consulted with him in May and he visited me in the hospital the night after the surgery. My 2-week checkup on Thursday will be my third time ever seeing him. Mostly I see PAs or other hospital staff. I did, however, send him an email about something and he responded surprisingly quickly.
did it hurt?

The surgery, no, not at all. My stay in the hospital was excellent. When the pain meds wear off, however, it hurts quite a bit, and some of the stretches are incredibly painful. Nights are especially rough, and I'm usually unable to sleep. I'm only 12 days post-op so this is subject to change, but this is far from the most painful experience of my life.

mb53

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 08:33:43 PM »

Just had 2-week checkup... everything is going perfectly. I'm currently at 15.75mm. Only 15 days post-op and I'm very independent with the walker; I'm gonna start using crutches soon.

And yes, I'll keep making minor updates for the benefit of my sanity, even if no one reads them.

Iamready

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 08:36:24 PM »

I'm reading your updates.  I'll be visiting on Aug 25-26 for my consultation.

kare69

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 02:35:00 PM »

Mb53 let me ask you what is your medication schedule? How is your pain being on that schedule? Also do you think if someone has a strong pain management support system, I.e. a pain doctor familiar with pain drugs with you for two weeks or so,  will the entire procedure be manageable? Will this reduce pain to very low levels?

mb53

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 11:34:47 PM »

Mb53 let me ask you what is your medication schedule? How is your pain being on that schedule? Also do you think if someone has a strong pain management support system, I.e. a pain doctor familiar with pain drugs with you for two weeks or so,  will the entire procedure be manageable? Will this reduce pain to very low levels?

I take about 5-10mg of Oxycodone roughly every 4 hours, though I'm trying to space it out more. If you take the meds, the pain is very manageable.

Deepak Chopra

• Newbi
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 01:19:42 AM »

What is best and worst aspect about doing lengthening with Paley you think?

I am planning to do with him early next year.
I've got to do what I've got to do.

ilizarovgirl

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 02:04:42 AM »

What is best and worst aspect about doing lengthening with Paley you think?

I am planning to do with him early next year.

The best aspect about Paley is Paley himself! The worst is price.

superusercj1

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 02:16:38 PM »

Congrats on taking the journey MB.

You mentioned that you'll be on crutches, that's great being within 1 month.  Do you mind sharing your height and weight?  I wonder what the weight cut off is, if any (and i'm sure it's also based on how you're healing) before Paley allows you on crutches.

By the way, we are all reading and following along, just not posting as much :p

Best,
SuperUserCJ

mb53

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 02:45:21 PM »

Congrats on taking the journey MB.

You mentioned that you'll be on crutches, that's great being within 1 month.  Do you mind sharing your height and weight?  I wonder what the weight cut off is, if any (and i'm sure it's also based on how you're healing) before Paley allows you on crutches.

By the way, we are all reading and following along, just not posting as much :p

Best,
SuperUserCJ

At home I consistently measured as 5'3.75" or 162cm. Here I consistently measured as 5'3.5". or 161cm. I'll just compromise and say 161.5cm. I weighed about 143 pounds going into surgery. I'm about 19 days post-op so around 163.5cm/5'4.5"-ish. I weigh about 130 pounds (yeah, I haven't been eating much). The x-rays have confirmed my new height but I don't really feel any different... hopefully this changes once I start to reach 5'6" and above.

And it's the physical therapists who decide when I can go on crutches, not Paley. I've only seen Paley twice: during my consultation and in the hospital the day after my surgery. He was out of the country for my 2-week checkup so I met with the PA. But each rod can bear 75 pounds, so I don't think they encourage walker/crutches if you weigh over 150.

femoral_indecency

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 04:26:51 PM »

How's it's going mb? Congrats on starting your LL journey (and having a   ton of $ to afford Paley lol) got a few questions, does your family know your undergoing LL? are you staying at a hotel while you're recovering from the LL procedure? What are your total costs for LL could you do a costs breakdown? Thanks mb, I'm looking into/researching LL right now so I'm trying to collect as much data on LL as I can.
It is better to have experienced one's share of evils than to have always wondered what could have been.

mb53

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 05:22:54 PM »

How's it's going mb? Congrats on starting your LL journey (and having a crap ton of $ to afford Paley lol) got a few questions, does your family know your undergoing LL? are you staying at a hotel while you're recovering from the LL procedure? What are your total costs for LL could you do a costs breakdown? Thanks mb, I'm looking into/researching LL right now so I'm trying to collect as much data on LL as I can.
My parents are paying for it (so yes they know) so I don't know the full cost breakdown. I'm guessing the whole thing is about $100k. Costs less than Rozbruch but more than Guichet

kare69

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 01:53:33 AM »

Mb53 quick question. Have you spoken to anyone that has had LL in the past? Just wondering what long term effects? Will you return to at least 80% of what you were.  Is there anything that could emerge health wise with regards to your legs ?  What does paley say? Does he invite you to talk to previous LL's?
Any in for would be great . thanks

mb53

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »

Update: Today I'll reach 4cm, meaning I'm officially at the halfway point. My IT bands and hamstrings are pretty tight, but other than that I'm in great shape. It's supposed to get harder from here on out, but I'm confident I'll be able to lengthen 8cm. So far, I have no regrets.

patientdad

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 12:18:25 AM »

Congratulations mb53.

Alu

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 02:55:42 AM »

I don't mean to rush or anything, considering you've been in and about the other thread here, but how are things going for ya thus far?

Penguinn

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 02:59:53 AM »

Halfway in a month is awesome. I have no questions, but good luck. ;)

mb53

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 03:09:18 PM »

I don't mean to rush or anything, considering you've been in and about the other thread here, but how are things going for ya thus far?

I'm doing alright. I should reach 52mm today, so roughly 65% done. I'm a little over 2-inches taller and I can definitely feel a difference.

My hip flexors and IT bands are getting very tight and I'm starting to feel some nerve pain, but I'm fine other than that. Outside of PT I have very little pain (maybe 3 or 4 out of 10 when I wake up) and right now I feel no pain at all. I take a 5mg Oxycodone when I wake up, 2 Tylenols or Aleves in the middle of the day and another 5mg Oxycodone before I go to sleep. I've honestly been really slacking in terms of doing my calisthenics outside of physical therapy, but as long as I start to do the proper amount of stretching I think I'll be able to loosen up. I feel as though I may have to slow down the lengthening soon from 1mm a day to .75mm because of my increasing nerve pain, but none of the physical therapists have made any indication that I would have to. And even if I do slow down, it would only increase my stay by about a week or so, which isn't the end of the world.

I'm still hoping to make it to 8cm, but I think as long as I reach 7cm I'll accept whatever I get. I have a little less than a month left assuming I don't slow down (28 days or so) which is still a long time, but I'm definitely reaching the end of this journey. The pain is sometimes hard to bear and it gets pretty boring at times, but it's far from the living Hell some of the diaries made it out to be. Though perhaps I'm just one of the luckier ones.

Iamready

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2015, 04:38:47 PM »

Nice!

mb53

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 02:55:14 PM »

Update: It's just over 2 months post-op and today I should be reaching 6.4cm (80% of the way done). I should reach 8cm on the 9th, two weeks from Friday. If there's bone retraction, it should take maybe one or two more days to reach 8cm. I'm feeling much better and my muscles are much looser since my last update. The same areas are tight, but it's much more bearable and my gait has been fixed. I'm now confident I can reach 8cm without slowing down. I may stay another week here so I can go to physical therapy while I begin consolidation, but no more than that. The difference I feel when I'm out in public is huge - and I'm not even finished lengthening. I don't think my height insecurities will be completely gone by the end of this, but I definitely feel like a different person.

Iamready

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 08:50:26 PM »

Wow, congratulations.  Thanks for keeping us posted.

Ghostfish

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 04:01:43 AM »

Hi mb53

Thanks for your update.  I am very happy for your achievement of height as well as confidence.  Congrats on your success. 

mb53

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 09:27:15 PM »

I haven't updated this in a while but I finished lengthening Friday. It took about a week longer than predicted because my bones started to consolidate early. I got about 76-77mm on my left and 79-80mm on my right (purposefully, because my left leg was naturally 4mm longer to begin with). I'm going home Friday in a few days. Because my bones seem to be consolidating quickly, I'm hoping I'll be able to walk in less than 2 months. I've had more than my fair share of pain and discomfort (not to mention the cost) but limb lengthening has been 100% worth it.

BelowTheMean

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 11:13:39 PM »

I haven't updated this in a while but I finished lengthening Friday. It took about a week longer than predicted because my bones started to consolidate early. I got about 76-77mm on my left and 79-80mm on my right (purposefully, because my left leg was naturally 4mm longer to begin with). I'm going home Friday in a few days. Because my bones seem to be consolidating quickly, I'm hoping I'll be able to walk in less than 2 months. I've had more than my fair share of pain and discomfort (not to mention the cost) but limb lengthening has been 100% worth it.

I'm glad you feel like it's still worth it after suffering through the most painful part! Good luck on your recovery!
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

Deads

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 12:12:18 AM »

Dude! Your parents paid for it.... Yes, very jealous. Congrats on everything... You'll still be insecure?? What is your dream height? Is a second surgery something you'd consider?

Alu

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2015, 09:42:48 PM »

Hey Mb I have to ask are you the same person who made the post on Reddit r/short about his procedure?

mb53

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2015, 11:32:51 PM »

yes
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up