Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Life after a full recovery  (Read 62527 times)

Werewolf

Re: Life after a full recovery
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2023, 01:59:25 PM »

For example, if you are a professional runner, you will slow down after surgery. This will vary depending on your extension amount. You will finish the track in 3.5-5 minutes, which you finished in 3 minutes. it depends on the method you have surgery and the amount of lengthening, whether you lengthen the tibia or femur or both.
List of I fked :)
@Bukibuki - @Kanye Western - @DanishViking - @shortisnotfun - @EndGame - @ballsackoffury123

sphenopetroclival

• Views don't represent views of Stanford Medicine
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2023, 02:06:07 PM »

https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7171-9248
LL “doctors” to avoid marked as *MOVED below.They’ve been reinstated as a professional courtesy

AlmostSix

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2023, 04:57:18 AM »

insane how everyone on limb lengthening forum wants to play competitive sports  :D
yeah, that's not in the cards for most people anyways. the higher you go in any given sport the more your genetics matter anyway.

still, losing athletic ability is a valid cause for concern. you might not be trying to be an olympic sprinter, but what if you're one day in a situation where you have to run for your life?
all i want is to be a solid 183. currently closer to 182 at the end of the day.

Omar

« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2023, 11:57:15 AM »

Hello to you,

Returning to the subject currently LL is not successful enough. If I did the operation for 4.5 cm, do I find my walk? Will my physical capacity return 2-3 years after surgery? Currently I do not see much positive effect on this operation except the size gain. Well I can't imagine if there are any complications.

thank you in advance for your answers.

nick-sh.

• Visitor
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2023, 08:41:07 AM »

If your doctor is good and careful you will be fine.
But i am unlucky because i trusted the worst doctor for LL back in 2019 and even now i can't walk normally and my life is terrible.
Yasser Elbatrawy is not a doctor,he is a gangster.He destroyed my legs.When i was in Cairo in 2019 i see many many of his patients and all of them had problems.All of them were unhappy with his work.He likes only to take money
My life now is not good,i can't walk like before the surgery and i suffer from depression.
How i would be happy when i feel pain and i am not able to walk normally??

albate1988

• Visitor
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2023, 04:05:21 PM »

I did tibia lengthening for + 5 cm and am fully back to normal life. Rods are still inside the bones and I can't sprint as fast as I used to. The trade-off is worth it even if I become stuck with my current sprinting speed after nail removal. I was expecting to get to 70-80 percent of peak performance, and I am at that mark and improving more. If you're real with the surgery and hate being short, go with a good doctor who knows what he's doing, and forget about breaking sprint records.

CLLvet

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2023, 02:50:30 PM »

I did tibia lengthening for + 5 cm and am fully back to normal life. Rods are still inside the bones and I can't sprint as fast as I used to. The trade-off is worth it even if I become stuck with my current sprinting speed after nail removal. I was expecting to get to 70-80 percent of peak performance, and I am at that mark and improving more. If you're real with the surgery and hate being short, go with a good doctor who knows what he's doing, and forget about breaking sprint records.

Having done femurs a long time ago and tibias recently, I agree with this. Your sprinting will probably never get back to what it was before. It may be a bit harder for you to play intense sports that require regular bouts of sprinting (like basketball, hockey, etc). But for most of us, I think height gain is much more valuable than sprinting speed. The other elements of your conditioning can be largely restored to your pre-surgery levels (with time, hard work, and persistence). 
174 cm (starting height), 188 cm (current height)

-8 cm femur w/ Stryde in 2019, with Dr. Giotikas (Greece)
-6 cm tibia w/ Taylor Spatial Frames (TSF)  Lengthening and Then Nailing (LATN) in 2023, with Giotikas (Greece)

Kintaeryos

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2024, 11:22:02 AM »

Having done femurs a long time ago and tibias recently, I agree with this. Your sprinting will probably never get back to what it was before. It may be a bit harder for you to play intense sports that require regular bouts of sprinting (like basketball, hockey, etc). But for most of us, I think height gain is much more valuable than sprinting speed. The other elements of your conditioning can be largely restored to your pre-surgery levels (with time, hard work, and persistence).
Paley often claims that he aims for full recovery of athletic capability with his patients, and "would never sacrifice functionality for extra height gain". Is that just marketing on his part then?

CLLvet

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2024, 06:29:39 PM »

Paley often claims that he aims for full recovery of athletic capability with his patients, and "would never sacrifice functionality for extra height gain". Is that just marketing on his part then?

I have a lot of respect for Dr. Paley. The content on his website, particularly his "Frequently Asked Questions" documents were the primary information that guided me when I first began the journey. I didn't begin on the forum; I began by googling this topic (height increase surgery) and then reading all the information that Paley provided on his website, to better educate myself.

I will say that, yes, I do disagree with him regarding his recovery prognosis listed on his FAQs page. For one thing, based on my personal experience, I think anyone undergoing CLL will find it very difficult to regain full athletic capacity (concerning sprinting and high-intensity athletic sports). If it is indeed possible, it probably requires a lot of training and determination. I personally did not care so much about this (I am not a professional athlete), so I never trained hard enough to make this happen. But for some, I suppose it is possible, especially the younger guys who get this surgery in their 20's.

Regarding prognosis for return to athletics, Dr. Paley writes- Most patients can start to run one month after being freed to stop   using crutches. They can return to other sports after one month after starting to run.

This runs contrary to my experience. I started to run once I was fully consolidated, which occurred at least 2-3 months after I got off crutches. And even then it wasn't running, it was just very slow jogging. It is hard to describe, but your legs just move much slower if you attempt to run after this CLL surgery. You have to train a lot to regain your prior running speed.

As for returning to sports, I guess you can certainly return to sports a month after you start to run. But what does that really mean? It depends on the sport. You will not be able to sprint across a soccer field/ basketball court/ hockey rink at the speed you could before CLL. So yes, you will be able to play those sports, but you will not be able to do that competitively because you will be quite slow at that point in your recovery. Again with time and training, this will improve. You just need to work hard.                
174 cm (starting height), 188 cm (current height)

-8 cm femur w/ Stryde in 2019, with Dr. Giotikas (Greece)
-6 cm tibia w/ Taylor Spatial Frames (TSF)  Lengthening and Then Nailing (LATN) in 2023, with Giotikas (Greece)

Bob Vallens

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2024, 11:58:27 PM »

Cyborg has suggested 4cm and 6 cm, tibia and femur are the sweet spot for length vs recovery

Youth helps a lot; stories of 100% recovery of 19 yr olds

Donghoon has also commented on 4cm for tibias as best for recovery of athletic performance.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up