Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: SURGERY TO GET INSTANT 3 CM HEIGHT GAIN!!  (Read 12986 times)

Infinity

SURGERY TO GET INSTANT 3 CM HEIGHT GAIN!!
« on: December 04, 2015, 02:51:26 PM »

Dear All,

I have been exploring methods of LL which can give an inch of lengthening with minimal down time. I have polled and met most of the surgeons and more or less know most things about their practices and LL techniques. some good and some not so good :) but the common theme was long downtime and high cost when compared with other cosmetic procedures due to artificially inflated cost of the lengthening nails. Anyway the purpose of this post is to start a debate on technique called leg lengthening via Transiliac method, although sparingly, by some surgeons..

In this approach generally bone cut is made in the iliac crust and surgeon makes an instant lengthening of approx. 2-3 cm and than fill the gap with some sort of bone graft and fix the two ends with long screws to hold it together. Generally surgery takes few hours and recovery is suppose to be quite fast.

Advantages:
- Inexpensive as there is no need for nailing.
- Patient is comfortable as there is not much pain as there are neither bulky frames not internal nails.
- Instant lengthening.
- Possibly Full mobility with in few days of surgery with the help of crutches (needs to be checked with the surgeon)
- Fast recovery bone is healed approx. in 2-3 months.

Risks and Limitations:
- Only suitable for certain demographics as provides only minimalist gains
- Risk of sciatic nerve injury due to instant lengthening of 2-3 cm
- Not many surgeons who practice this approach, if any. The last one i heard was a a surgeon called Patrick Mcally from Ireland who did so and has now passed away.

All thoughts are welcomed along with more research and view of surgeons/medical experts who are willing to contribute.

treemonger

• Newbi
  • Visitor
Re: SURGERY TO GET INSTANT 3 CM HEIGHT GAIN!!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 04:13:35 PM »

Felt like this was going to be a troll post, but this 'transiliac method' actually exists.

Here's a paper I just read:
http://www.bjj.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/74-B/2/275.full.pdf

"Unsatisfactory results were seen in half of the group with miscellaneous conditions. This reflected the temptation to extend the application of this technique to length inequalities outside the limited scope of hemipelvic lengthening."

As a current LL patient who spent 10 years researching and reading countless diaries before feeling comfortable enough to do LL, I'd hate to be the first pelvic lengthening diary.

Ozymandias

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 05:08:23 PM »

Isn't this too good to be true?

it reminds me of that 'Lengthening in "Z"' thing, which resulted to be an almost surely crippling procedure:
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=2615.0

Honestly, if a doctor could offer an "instant" and "unexpensive" lengthening, he would have millions of patients. Millions. And such procedure would be at least as popular as botox, or something like that. So, why is this procedure almost unknown? It looks too suspicious...

TomD

• Private
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 06:01:54 PM »

I think with cloning we can create bone segments outside the body and insert them but I would prefer developments in rapid growth drugs to help the nerve and muscle tissue grow and heal 5 times as fast.

If we could make advances in rapid regrowth, then we can break the legs at 5 different places and have it grow and heal within 2 weeks with the 7.5 cm gain.

One can dream right?

Infinity

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 08:22:14 PM »

I can understand people's scepticism and comments like ''Troll post...'' .. ''too good to be true...'' But the purpose of this post was not to say this is a good method rather to instigate debate and do more research using all our combine resources.

A test group where 23 patients underwent LL to correct limb length discrepancies over 2 year period almost 2 decades ago.This method actually existed and those of you are interested can read about the results here: http://www.bjj.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/74-B/2/275.full.pdf

Based on the information i gathered i highlighted the pros and cons of this procedure in my Opening post. Please feel free to poll your surgeons or other pelvic surgeons and gather/share information here.

Uppland

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 09:02:04 PM »

If there was a way to quickly and safely increase my height 3 cm then I would do it and never post here again.

Infinity

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 09:35:32 PM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/02/02/africa/medicine-man-turns-frustration-into-big-opportunity/

Uppland, This does gives you 2-3 cm of lengthening and ticks all other boxes (cheap, short downtime, etc) but their is a significant risk of sciatic nerve injury as you are stretching it 2-3 cm in matter of hours.

Infinity

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 09:39:53 PM »

Uppland, This does gives you 2-3 cm of lengthening and ticks all other boxes (cheap, short downtime, etc) but their is a significant risk of sciatic nerve injury as you are stretching it 2-3 cm in matter of hours.

I assume you are aware that transiliac lengthening does not touch spine and is not a complicated surgery with very fast bone regeneration due to adequate blood supply in that region. The key risk is nerve injury due to lengthening 2-3 cm during the surgery.

Alu

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 09:42:50 PM »

That type of rapid rate of increase seems to be quite alarming to be honest. I've always believed the rate of increase is just as important as how much one lengthens. The best way for this to be viable would be if the surgery lasted longer as that would mean the rate of increase wouldn't be as fast; essential piece.

treemonger

• Newbi
  • Visitor
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 10:38:53 PM »

Hey Infinity, since you did this much research on pelvic lengthening, were you planning to have the procedure?

Another common theme in LL: going faster is slower, and cheaper becomes more expensive.

This surgery seems to defy that logic.

Uppland

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 11:42:50 PM »

I assume you are aware that transiliac lengthening does not touch spine and is not a complicated surgery with very fast bone regeneration due to adequate blood supply in that region. The key risk is nerve injury due to lengthening 2-3 cm during the surgery.

Yeah, I am not going to risk that but good info nonetheless.

53dude

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 11:44:11 PM »

For what it seems, my biggest bet for the future of leg lengthening is SYNOSTE, they are developing a painless method, it takes 2 years to finish, but allows full wight barring and you can do all the process in home using magnets.
For me that is thinking on doing in 4-5 years that is what I`m hoping for
synoste.com/

Infinity

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 11:57:41 PM »

Hey Infinity, since you did this much research on pelvic lengthening, were you planning to have the procedure?

Another common theme in LL: going faster is slower, and cheaper becomes more expensive.

This surgery seems to defy that logic.

Yes, i am provided there is a respected surgeon out there who is still practising this technique and has results to show for. I would like to see his complication percentage risk of nerve injury cases.

Disclaimer: i already had one segment lengthened couple of years ago this is for my second procedure.

Infinity

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 12:17:23 AM »

Also to keep in mind this surgery has limited lengthening scope and will appeal only to people who are looking to get about an inch (2-3 cm) of lengthening. As per the information i gathered max possible would be around 3 cm but i have been informed surgeons would probably lengthen somewhere between 2-3 cm.

Ozymandias

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 12:25:02 AM »

The method looks legit, but also not so great:

"Postoperative care: The patient is protected with crutches for a minimum of 3 months..."
https://books.google.es/books?id=31teGmZPaakC&pg=PA291&lpg=PA291&dq=transiliac+lengthening&source=bl&ots=0vvet3YElB&sig=hf9F_THDZpgbR2RVfx_jAKo0mVM&hl=es&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj6pc2HucPJAhXMORQKHcE6Dl4Q6AEIXTAJ#v=onepage&q=transiliac%20lengthening&f=false

Also, it looks that it has only been used for leg discrepancies (only one leg lengthened). Is it suitable for cosmetic bilateral lengthening?

Infinity

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 12:29:52 AM »

Also, it looks that it has only been used for leg discrepancies (only one leg lengthened). Is it suitable for cosmetic bilateral lengthening?

All lengthening techniques are primarily developed and used for LL discrepancies, this one is no different.

Deads

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 12:58:48 AM »

If there was a way to quickly and safely increase my height 3 cm then I would do it and never post here again.

Well I'm happy there isn't. I would thouroughly miss LL's proportion nazi.

Uppland

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 02:55:00 AM »

Well I'm happy there isn't. I would thouroughly miss LL's proportion nazi.

Deads

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 03:34:50 AM »

Tallexpectations

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 11:08:04 PM »

Really? Is this true?

Tallexpectations

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 11:43:21 PM »

No troll. Serious method

Infinity

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2015, 12:00:13 AM »

It is a serious method but has its own limitations and risks but also advantages. For people who just want minimal quick lenghthening or just to even out proportions than it can be quite a useful method.
The main conundrum is finding an experienced surgeon who is practicing this method.

김규민

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 05:28:04 AM »

what is  price of synoste?

김규민

• Visitor
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 05:33:07 AM »

If I have 6cm of synoste ,  what should I wear for crutches for a few months?

myloginacct

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 04:24:02 PM »

Felt like this was going to be a troll post, but this 'transiliac method' actually exists.

Here's a paper I just read:
http://www.bjj.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/74-B/2/275.full.pdf

"Unsatisfactory results were seen in half of the group with miscellaneous conditions. This reflected the temptation to extend the application of this technique to length inequalities outside the limited scope of hemipelvic lengthening."

As a current LL patient who spent 10 years researching and reading countless diaries before feeling comfortable enough to do LL, I'd hate to be the first pelvic lengthening diary.

I realize this is an older post, but there must be some catch to it if even the shady, money hungry LL "doctors" aren't performing it.

kingofstory

• Visitor
  • Banned: Bander72 Mutiple Accounts
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 08:19:45 AM »

Does anyone know of any surgeons performing this.

myloginacct

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 01:02:34 PM »

I can understand people's scepticism and comments like ''Troll post...'' .. ''too good to be true...'' But the purpose of this post was not to say this is a good method rather to instigate debate and do more research using all our combine resources.

A test group where 23 patients underwent LL to correct limb length discrepancies over 2 year period almost 2 decades ago.This method actually existed and those of you are interested can read about the results here: http://www.bjj.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/74-B/2/275.full.pdf

Based on the information i gathered i highlighted the pros and cons of this procedure in my Opening post. Please feel free to poll your surgeons or other pelvic surgeons and gather/share information here.

Ctrl + F "minor complications" in that link (third page and section on the right). This all sounds very good compared to femur/tibia lengthening.

However, I think this technique can only be used for leg discrepancies. At least, there was no indication in that pdf of it being used to treat anything but leg discrepancies.

myloginacct

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 01:14:41 PM »

One of the references cited Paley in 1988, and, interestingly enough, he mentioned some bone grafting limb lengthening techniques back then:

http://www.paleyinstitute.org/media/file/Current%20techniques%20of%20limb%20lengthening.pdf

Their prognosis seemed much worse than the technique discussed in this thread, but I haven't finished reading the whole thing.

I think if anyone wants to truly know more about this and its potential for CLL, they'd ideally have to manage to get in contact with Dr. Paley somehow and ask him directly.

Robert

• Visitor
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 02:38:48 AM »

Does anyone know about the synotes website. They have what they call a third generation device and it seems very promising. They claim full weight bearing on the first day.

myloginacct

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 05:20:38 PM »

Ctrl + F "minor complications" in that link (third page and section on the right). This all sounds very good compared to femur/tibia lengthening.

However, I think this technique can only be used for leg discrepancies. At least, there was no indication in that pdf of it being used to treat anything but leg discrepancies.

Well, it was easier to just screenshot it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up