Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Surgery friday 8th july 2016  (Read 11289 times)

Takanori

• Visitor
Surgery friday 8th july 2016
« on: July 06, 2016, 08:22:05 PM »

Hello people,

I am Taka, just arrived in Milan and got my surgery in 2 days with Dr G. (just unbelievable as I think about that and started the "process" for 2 years now).

I would like to know if veterans of LL got some advices for me?

I don't have helper now but maybe will take one with dr G's contacts. I think i will cook a lot tomorrow to prepare many meals and put them to freeze, cause the first 2 weeks will be hard.
I heard that it will be judicious to buy plum juice because of potential constipations.
Also bring many underwears and tee-shirts for the 2/3 days in hospital

What else?

Regards

Taka

paddy10tellys

Re: Surgery friday 8th july 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 08:28:14 PM »

Wishing you the very best & I will be thinking of you. Keep me posted. Remember, tough times don't last, tough people do...
Ht 169.5 cms. Wingspan 165cms. Arms 72cms. Femur-tibia length ratio = 56/44. Wants 175cms. Tibias only

Takanori

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 08:53:34 PM »

many thanks for your kind words my friend. I will be strong...

Keep in touch

Taka

Bigfaker

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 09:47:03 PM »

Hey Taka,

Congrats on starting an exciting and transformative chapter of your life.

- Will you be completely alone? I wouldn't recommend that...both because you may need help and because sitting alone and crippled for weeks/months on end can get really depressing. I mainly survived because of the companionship in the guest house, the visits from PTs, the caretakers, and I was really busy with my work.

- Do you think you will shower in the hospital? I don't know if changing would even come up. The first couple days may be pain-ridden/drug-addled. And you might have a catheter in (because of the epidural), so changing would be very cumbersome. And would you even care that much about changing if you couldn't bathe/shower? These are things you might want to ask. If it's a shower and not sponge baths, you won't be able to if there's no shower chair. You also need to set up your bathing situation in the house/apt. where you'll be living.

- I've heard prune juice can work, but just get some Dulcolax (Bisacodyl)

- Is this a private apartment/home where you'll be recovering? Make SURE there's a wheeled chair (and hard floor space you can roll on) or it may be extremely difficult to get around your living space. And you will need multiple chairs if there are steps or thresholds you can't roll over

- A lot of this is assuming you can go ahead of time to your living space and prep it. If you can, make sure that you set up all the things in the kitchen, bathroom, living room to be reachable from your chair.

- Find out where your meds will be coming from. Make sure they can be delivered or someone can pick them up for you. Better yet, have your doc prescribe a healthy supply of both light and heavy pain medications, in addition to anything else you take. Sleep aids and antidepressants come to mind.

- Make SURE that you have reliable internet. The many times I had to endure lengthening/recovery without it was like being marooned on a desert island.

- This might have been the MOST important thing I brought for LL:

Seriously, if you drop something under your bed, and you are alone, you are F.UCKED without one of these.

Good luck to you Taka. Keep us posted on your progress.
Prev. Height: 5'-5.25"/165.7cm (Morn)
Ext.LON with Dr. Raj Sringari-Install: 12/17/13 * Lengthend: ~3"/7.6cm * Frm Rmvl 04/17/14
Diagnosd w/ Partial Non-Union: 02/09/16
Ankle Debridement Surg: 02/22/16...Rev. Nail/Bone Graft/Tenotomy-Loma Linda Med. Ctr: 05/12/16
Taylor Spatial Correction: 02/01/18

paddy10tellys

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 10:06:14 PM »

Bigfaker, would you kindly post a link to that there doohicky...
Ht 169.5 cms. Wingspan 165cms. Arms 72cms. Femur-tibia length ratio = 56/44. Wants 175cms. Tibias only

Bigfaker

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 11:00:24 PM »

I bought mine on eBay at home before I left for India...and had about 3 more shipped over to me when they kept breaking. Maybe/partly because I bought the cheapest ones, but the ones with the hinges are really not too durable. If you can fit it into your luggage, get the non-folding type. Also, check if you can buy online in Germany. I had my replacements shipped to India because I couldn't use ebay.in, because of the payment system...but I hadn't yet learned about Snapdeal, Flipkart, Amazon india. Oh well, none of that applies to you.

Anyway, here's is ebay UK list:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Reacher-Grabbers/159874/bn_1676668/i.html

BTW, I still have one left over. If anyone comes here to CA for LL, you can have it. LOL

Prev. Height: 5'-5.25"/165.7cm (Morn)
Ext.LON with Dr. Raj Sringari-Install: 12/17/13 * Lengthend: ~3"/7.6cm * Frm Rmvl 04/17/14
Diagnosd w/ Partial Non-Union: 02/09/16
Ankle Debridement Surg: 02/22/16...Rev. Nail/Bone Graft/Tenotomy-Loma Linda Med. Ctr: 05/12/16
Taylor Spatial Correction: 02/01/18

paddy10tellys

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 06:07:44 AM »

Thx Bigfaker. Taka, good luck.

Takanori

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 09:08:18 AM »

hey thank you bigfaker, very interesting comments and tips!

Yeah I am alone for the moment, i think it's easier in Italy than in India cause I live in Europe and and I don't fell "lost in a new country" but if i need an helper i will ask for sure.

As my surgeon is Dr Guichet, there is no wheelchair in the process, it's a walker and after crutches. it's internal nails, you did external right?

Yes we take shower after the surgery at the hospital and in the forum (take a look at dream_catcher's diary) people recommended him to bring many shirts and underwears.

the "claw" seems very useful but i don't think i will be able to find it here :-(

regards

Taka

Mtall

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 09:10:31 AM »

Oh god. You're really close. All the best man, I hope you stay strong.
PM me if you want to talk, or skype, if you're feeling lonely.

Takanori

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 06:13:52 PM »

mtall thanks a lot, i will for sure, if i got wifi in the hospital  ;)

CCMidwest

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 06:17:30 PM »

Good luck tomorrow takanori!

Mind sharing your start height and roughly your age?
5'7.5

Takanori

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 01:40:20 AM »

Of course: i am 5.3 and 25y

In couple hours, my life will change FOREVER...

See you after my surgery ;-)

CCMidwest

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 01:42:28 AM »

Of course: i am 5.3 and 25y

In couple hours, my life will change FOREVER...

See you after my surgery ;-)

Good luck man! I'll say a prayer for ya.
5'7.5

Svensk

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 08:22:51 AM »

Good luck man  8)
Why didn't the short guy come in to the night club?
-No leg

Goal: 7 cm femurs in summer 2017

Unicorn888

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 09:44:54 AM »

My hero!  8)
🌈 YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE BY HELPING UNICORN 🦄 ~ ❤️ Every cent goes a long way ❤️
https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-unicorn?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1

dream_catcher

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 12:19:52 PM »

Takanori, how was your survery? Hope things went well with you.

CCMidwest

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 08:19:08 PM »

Takanori, where you at brah?
5'7.5

LLuser1

• Banned
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 09:34:23 PM »

He must be so tired after surgery but he will be ok with Guichet. Update when you can please
Banned for wrongly implying a patient death/posting incomplete information and repeated spamming/bumping irrelevant threads to post about Dr Monegal/MMaker despite warning.

dream_catcher

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 10:37:33 PM »

I met Takanori at the gym today. He is in pretty good shape.

Takanori

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2016, 01:15:30 AM »

Hello everyone, many thanks for all your support and please accept my apologies for the delay. I read all the discussion on this forum for 2 years now and it is quite weird to think that now i share my "experience" (not sure i can use this word as i am a newbie)

So here is the beginning of my story

CHAPTER ONE: HELL IN THE HOSPITAL

2 days before surgery i met Dr G to discuss with him and check if all have been signed

day before surgery I went to the hospital to fill the form (it is not the former hospital but the San Pio X Humanitas in Milan) and meet my Anaesthetist. I stop eating at midnight to be on an empty stomach.

I arrived on the morning (8th july) to the hospital and nurse brought my to my room, night before i washed myself with betadine and same in the morning. After i went to the operating room for the epidurial injection, ouch! it's hurt but fortunately my nurse was gorgeous and she told me to look in her blue eyes during the sting, what I did  ;)

after they drugged me and I woke up in my room....

AND THERE FIRST NIGNTMARE! Dr G was told me that there was a "little" problem with the nail for my right leg so he did another scar on the side of my groin....Also  the one on the side of my facia lata is quite big (5 cm and it must be normally 1 cm maximum as it is on my other leg.

I said to myself "OMG why...why me  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'("

First day the legs don't hurt so much, dr G showed me how to click and some stretching exercices but i didn't do the bike and the walker, I was so dizzy!!! My stomach started to hurt and i always wanted to vomit so they did not give me dinner, just a light meal with tea and cookies (bad idea you will know why after).

Guys I have to say the catheter to pee was HORRIBLE! Really HORRIBLE. And a stupid nurse told me to drink as much water as I can but was blocked, impossible to push to get some urine in what they call the "pappagallo", my vesica became enormous and it was so unconfortable.

Second day, they remove the catheter and I asked to stand up to go to the bathroom with nurses, and there I felt dizzy again and fainted, they put some fresh water on my face , spoke to me to say keep your eyes open and bring me back to my bed. Yes I was too weak cause i didn't eat (except the biscuits) since the 7th july at midnight!!!! Step by step I felt better and took my lunch to rebuild me.

In the morning my physio came and I did 3 clicks (for each leg) with her, I walked for the first time with the walker (just 5 min) to go to the bike and did 10 min cycling. My legs became harder and there were absolutly no confortable position to lay on the bed, this second night was HORREFUL, you "sleep" 30 min them your legs wake you up cause the pain is barely unberable (thanks to the pain killer).

Third day looks the same except that the pain increase (yes it is possble) Dr G asked me to do the clic alone but I was unable, so much stress to do this   and turn you leg and knee in a ackward position. So he did for me, took my right leg and made the click in approx 10 sec!!!!!! Ater he told me, this evening you do 7 clics on this leg (WHAT?! ARE YOU SERIOUS DOC?!)
I finally succeed to do the 7 clics but it took me 30 min, for the other leg it's ok as it is a small clic and the big one is just the return of your initial leg position (don't know if i am very clear).
Last night at the hospital was very bad as they didn't give me pain killer form all day (why?) so i barely slept 1hour.

Monday I took my last lunch at the hospital and I called a helper to pick me to my appartment. I was so so so happy!!!! And I must say that all the nurses there were so nice, they got a hard job, one of them realy treated me like his son and she pushed my wheelchair and called a cab.

END OF THE FIRST CHAPTER. I go to sleep and gonna get you infom about the life in my appartment and my first gym session.

Thanks guys

Takanori

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2016, 01:19:19 AM »

oh I forget, thanks Dream catcher for your kind words, so happy to finally met you at the gym.
Your're a warrior man, we will support everyday all day bro!

goodlucktomylegs

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2016, 04:53:07 AM »

wish you have nice smooth joiurney

CCMidwest

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2016, 12:48:42 PM »

Hello everyone, many thanks for all your support and please accept my apologies for the delay.

No need to apologize man!

Sounds rough...keep your chin up!

Hopefully you and dream catcher can support each other through this, I imagine that makes a huge difference.

Good update.
5'7.5

Auron

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2016, 07:03:11 PM »

The reason I want to go with Guichet is because I think hes the safest doctor to go with  when doing femurs in Europe and yet people seem to be having complications. I'm so undecided.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 07:21:49 PM »

The reason I want to go with Guichet is because I think hes the safest doctor to go with  when doing femurs in Europe and yet people seem to be having complications. I'm so undecided.

Complications are part of the experience no matter which doctor or method. It's why you want to find a doctor who addresses them promptly. If you can afford Guichet and do his training, then he has one of the best track records for femurs.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Auron

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 07:36:07 PM »

Complications are part of the experience no matter which doctor or method. It's why you want to find a doctor who addresses them promptly. If you can afford Guichet and do his training, then he has one of the best track records for femurs.
Thanks for the advice.

I think I can barely afford Guichet. Well, when the time comes at least.

Auron

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2016, 08:02:14 AM »

Hows it going Taka? Chapter II incoming? :P

Arch

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2016, 11:29:29 AM »

DR G was my the first doctor I wanted to do LL with, a few years ago it I could make it with 50k Euros, now it has nearly doubled...

Auron

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 11:40:53 AM »

DR G was my the first doctor I wanted to do LL with, a few years ago it I could make it with 50k Euros, now it has nearly doubled...
How much do you need now? I thought you could get it done in Milan for about 60k euros..

Takanori

• Visitor
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2016, 06:04:35 PM »

Hello friends from the forum,

Sorry again, i take time to update my diary but these last 3 weeks were intense and my mood fluctuated a lot.

So here is the CHAPTER 2: LIFE AFTER HOSPITAL

I was able to leave the hospital the 11th july at 2pm, Dr G gave me a contact for a helper and she came to pick me at the hospital, i am lucky to get such a thoughtful person. we took a cab and i was back to my appartment after 3 days of total nighmare! So happy;

So first thing for people who wants to do this surgery, you ABSOLUTLY need an helper! cause you are just like a worm, unable to do anything.
You need someone to clean your house, wash your clothes, to buy your food, your medications....Even if i anticipated and cooked 7h the day before surgery to put meals in bags to freeze so I was ok to eat for 2 weeks.

The physiotherapist of Dr G (Francesca) came to my appart to see if everything was ok

Takanori

• Visitor
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2016, 07:29:58 PM »

sorry...

So she came to see the facilities and she told me that i need to sleep my legs raised up, so she put some cushions under my mattress to elevate the bed. Guys I can tell you it is ABSOLUTLY IMPOSSIBLE TO SLEEP like that.

In fact it is just impossible to sleep, everybody in this forum already told you about that but trust me it's the worse part of LL!
I am almost 3 weeks after surgery now and I still have trouble to sleep even 2/3 hours in a row!!!

For you to understand, I go to bed at midnight and wake up at 2am/4am/6am because of that fking pain in my legs! it is difficult to explain that pain but it is like burning, cause all the muscles, nerves are stiff like rock! for me especially my facia-lata. So I do biking for 10/20 min and some stretching before back to bed.

Now I have to confess that I don't take any painkiller since the beginning cause i don't want to be addicted to that drug, except 1 day I was forced to take it and I will explain why after. The other patients told me that i am crazy or that i am superman lol

I started to go the gym the day after and I was so glad to see the other patients, it's maybe a little bit cheesy to say that but it's like a familly (I came alone in Milan and nobody knows) so it is essential for me to have human relationship and everybody are so interesting, smart and cheerful, I am lucky to be in that "promotion" ;-)

In the morning I also go to the Isokinetic, it's a place where you do the same exercices that in the gym but there is only couple patients and each one are on some sort of massage table. there is also a physio who take care of you and you can get a massage at the end (just magical...the best moment of the journey).

Now concerning the second worst part of that experience: THE CLICK :'( :'( :'( :'(

I must confess that this part has to be improve in the future cause there are many problems with patients and the mechanical manner to click your legs is really stressful and I must say a little bit archaic (to my opinion), to ear that horrible sound and fell like your leg "broke" everytime you do it, knowing that you have to do it 3 sessions per day during 2 months....it's hard, very very hard.

At the beginning (the first week) it was ok cause the legs were still "soft" but after with the stiffness of all the muscles, OMG it's hell!!!

Now I can explain my anecdote: last sunday I was unable to do my clicks, i took acrobatics positions and it was so painful. So I called Dr G and he told me it is because of calcification and I have to "break" it so he asked me to do 40 clicks that day!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes 4 sessions of 10 clicks  with some rest between the clicks and i can take aspirine, naproxene and homeprazol to relax myself.

Thanks DOC for that tips...

I succeeded to do the 3 first sessions but he took me maybe 10 hours and i wanted to quit LL cause you can't fighting against the click.And at the end of the last session after many hours of research to find a better way to click, I managed to find a new position with less less pain. IT WAS LIKE A MIRACLE! I almost cry cause I was so happy. BUT....40 clicks represent 3mm of lenghtening, it's huge! And that night was for sure the worst night of my entire life. It was so painful, I wanted to cut my legs lol. So for the first time i took a tramadol (the most powerful pain killer) and a sleeping pill. I can't say that it was very efficient but it helped me a lot.

Dr G always said to patients who got problems to click that it's bacause of calcification, but I really not sure that it's always true and some other patients got the same opinion, sometimes it is a problem a positioning. My X ray after 2 weeks didn't show a lot of calcium, just normal one so I am a liitle disturbed about that. But hey! I gained 3mm in one day and i am ahead of my schedule  ;) better to think like that.

And today i t was my first day with crutches, no more walker, except at home.

I am waiting my first month to tell you how much cm i gain  ;)
But i still fell like a dwarf even if the mother of a patient told me that it is incredible how i look already taller (best compliment ever)

Bye friends, thanks for your support and the 3rd chapter will come soon.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up