Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Femoral Lengthening with Dr. Paley  (Read 109494 times)

Dirona

Re: Femoral Lengthening with Dr. Paley
« Reply #372 on: March 28, 2019, 02:57:16 PM »

Not just another brown engineer :)..That made me smile..

Anyway,to become a good Data Scientist,I believe that you should have good programming skills(ideally Python) buttressed by strong knowledge of statistics,linear algebra, multivariable calculus etc..Some companies stress more on one versus the other but most want you to have good breadth in each of the above..Good luck
Taking it easy

Dirona

« Reply #373 on: March 28, 2019, 02:59:24 PM »

The major in most cases usually doesn't matter...It is the skills that matter and networking of course with the right people..
Taking it easy

Purushrottam

« Reply #374 on: March 29, 2019, 03:03:42 AM »

Update: Day 6 after surgery

My right leg still hurts like hell when I try to bend it. It looks like my progress went backwards in that sense. It makes it hard to walk without a limp. I had trouble sitting in cars today. I get sharp pains in my muscles at the nail spot when I try to bend it. I'm calling the nurse tomorrow morning to ask if thats normal.

My left leg is totally normal. I took an oxycodone a few minutes ago. I want to see if that makes it easy to bend my leg. Otherwise I'm just keeping it elevated. It doesn't look swollen at all, but feels like it is swollen.

I probably shouldn't have walked so much on Monday and Tuesday (7200 and 10000 steps).

Oh sorry to hear that your right leg got worse.  Don't push too hard to work out or to walk.  Try to be easy on your legs until they get better.
Hope your legs, especially right one, get better soon.

I agree man. After work I'm just sitting in bed with my legs elevated. I cancelled all my plans this week. I'm just going to sit at home and rest.

sorry to hear that, your recovery has been amazing, take good care and follow doctor's advice and i am sure it will be all good. btw puru - may I ask a question? you wrote you are in AI/Machine learning , did you study computer science or statistics/analytics and are you more like data scientist or software developer? just curious :) (since I want to get into AI/ML and make good bucks but confused between stats/analytics/data scientist path or CS/software developer path). thanks a lot.

I will!

I may have mischaracterized my job when I said I used to do AI/Machine learning. I developed a platform for a company to do Machine Learning. I didn't develop the actual ML models. I worked with the Data Scientists who did that.  My main job was 'full stack web developer' focused more on the backend systems. I have a similar job now, but its more focused on front end.

For most of those jobs I dont think the major  matters as much as your experience (as Realistic said). However in order to have your foot in the door, I highly recommend getting a Computer Science degree from either a top 10 program or from a big state school (like University of Washington, etc). Then again, there are so many different paths to get into that field. I think the best option is to somehow get your foot int he door and find a good mentor to hone your skills with. This sounds easy but is actually really hard. If you work at a big company in a software role, I think it can be easier to network and find your way into a ML/Data scientist role where you can find a mentor and learn best practices. It probably wouldn't hurt to take a few courses by Andrew Ng on Udacity or Coursera in order to at least be conversant in the field (this will make networking easier, and show that you are enthusiastic about it).

There really is no 'correct' answer on how to break into this career. People take many different paths. Mine was a pretty straightforward one (Get into a good engineering school -> get a job).

Lolz...the forum name should be changed to Limb Lengthening cum Career Counseling forum.

I don't mind. I think theres a lot of software engineers on this forum. ShortLivesMatter and OverrideYourGenetics are both SWEs as far as I know.

Not just another brown engineer :)..That made me smile..

Anyway,to become a good Data Scientist,I believe that you should have good programming skills(ideally Python) buttressed by strong knowledge of statistics,linear algebra, multivariable calculus etc..Some companies stress more on one versus the other but most want you to have good breadth in each of the above..Good luck

Agreed. Theres a lot of knowledge to cover and it can seem overwhelming at first. I used to wonder if I'm learning the correct thing or wasting my time learning something irrelevant. Thats why I think its very important to find a mentor. Maybe if you are still in college, try to find a professor who needs help with this in one of his/her lab projects. It might give you experience that can be leveraged to get a 'foothold' into the field.

---
Take my career advice with a giant grain of salt. Everyone's situation is different.
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

« Reply #375 on: March 29, 2019, 08:32:15 AM »

Thanks all. This website is good in the sense that it not only focuses on LL discussion but issues like life challenges, being successful economically, being successful in dating - all kind of knowledge to a lesser degree (LL being main theme).

Astronomy

« Reply #376 on: March 29, 2019, 08:46:19 AM »

It's US$280k.
I'm 1,65m.
Where do you come from?If u comes from Asia,175cm is already enough.Otherwise,desire will eventually dig a tomb for yourself.

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #377 on: March 29, 2019, 01:35:40 PM »

Where do you come from?If u comes from Asia,175cm is already enough.Otherwise,desire will eventually dig a tomb for yourself.
Brazil.
Go for it

Purushrottam

« Reply #378 on: March 29, 2019, 10:56:50 PM »

Update: 1 week post nail removal

My right leg still hurts. I called the nurse. She said its completely normal for the 2 legs to feel different. The pain I'm feeling is normal surgical bruising. I need to put an ice pack on it, elevate it, and take it to its full range of motion (which hurts like a *****).

I'm going to try doing some cycling to see if it allows me to bend my right leg further before the sharp pain starts.

SimonFuller

« Reply #379 on: March 30, 2019, 08:24:24 AM »

My right leg still hurts. I called the nurse. She said its completely normal for the 2 legs to feel different. The pain I'm feeling is normal surgical bruising. I need to put an ice pack on it, elevate it, and take it to its full range of motion (which hurts like a *****).

I'm going to try doing some cycling to see if it allows me to bend my right leg further before the sharp pain starts.
Good luck bro - just take it easy if you can

4cms

« Reply #380 on: March 30, 2019, 10:04:39 AM »

Good on you bro for completing your journey and removing the rods. I am surprised that you have quite abit of pain thats a demotivator to remove my rods and i have 4 in tibias and femurs.

YellowSpike

« Reply #381 on: March 31, 2019, 04:32:09 PM »

This really concerns me. After about a week, I was close to walking 100% normally with almost no pain. And I certainly don’t remember having one leg doing so much better or worse than the other. Please keep us posted and I wish you the best of luck! Sending positive thoughts your way man.

Purushrottam

« Reply #382 on: March 31, 2019, 05:17:06 PM »

This really concerns me. After about a week, I was close to walking 100% normally with almost no pain. And I certainly don’t remember having one leg doing so much better or worse than the other. Please keep us posted and I wish you the best of luck! Sending positive thoughts your way man.

I'm a little concerned too. I actually had less pain the day after the surgery. On Day 2 I walked 7200 steps and on Day 4 I walked over 10,000 (including stairs). However the next day my right leg started hurting when I bent it too far. It hasn't really gotten that much better since then. My nurse said its the result of surgical bruising. I need to try to keep taking the anti imflammatory drugs and keep trying to bend the leg fully (even though it hurts like hell).

In the past 2 days I can bend it a little bit more. I'm going to do some physical therapy and see if that makes it better.

Purushrottam

« Reply #383 on: March 31, 2019, 05:17:59 PM »

Good on you bro for completing your journey and removing the rods. I am surprised that you have quite abit of pain thats a demotivator to remove my rods and i have 4 in tibias and femurs.

Yeah. My left leg was totally normal since day 2. I think I may have pushed my right leg too hard in the days after the surgery. I think its getting a little better though.

InFullStryde

« Reply #384 on: March 31, 2019, 06:08:38 PM »

Bump
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #385 on: March 31, 2019, 06:27:14 PM »

Why you didnt remove your tibia nail yet after so many years?
Go for it

Purushrottam

« Reply #386 on: March 31, 2019, 10:09:30 PM »

Update

1 week, 1 day:

So decided to do what my nurse said: try to get the leg to bend to its full range of motion.

I went to the gym and did 30minutes of cycling. I initially had the machine set so that my knees would barely bend. Every pedal motion hurt like hell. After a few minutes, I was able to change the setting so that my knees would bend a little more on each pedal motion. The first time I changed the settings, every pedal motion felt like a dagger going into my lag. However after a few minutes the pain got reduced. Thats when I changed the setting to make my knee bend even more.

I kept doing that for 30 minutes. I didn't feel any different but when I sat on a chair, I noticed that my right leg could bend A LOT FURTHER before it started hurting.

So thats good news. The more I bend my knee repeatedly, the better it gets. I'm going to try to get at least an hour of biking daily for the next couple of days. Each pedal motion hurts like hell (I was wincing a lot at the gym), but the progress is incredible.

Purushrottam

« Reply #387 on: April 01, 2019, 03:58:11 AM »

Update week 1 day 1 part 2:

The improvement in my right leg after my afternoon workout was really encouraging. I decided to go work out again at night. I biked for 30 minutes at a setting that made my knees bend really far during each pedal. It still hurt like a ***** on every motion but I was able to bend my leg much further this time.

I didn't want to lose my gym progress since December (I've been workout out at least 4 times a week or more since December 22) so I decided to do some light bodyweight exercises (leg lifts, pushups, planks). This wasn't nearly as intense or hardcore as the workouts I used to do prior to my nail removal surgery. I just didn't want to lose my gym streak.

I ended the session with a workout I did the Thursday before my surgery:

Climb up and down 20 flights of stairs. I walked, not ran (as I didn't want to take any crazy risks).
It didn't tire me at all. Climbing up the stairs was actually really easy. Climbing down was really hard (because my right leg had to bend a lot) and painful. I could only climb down 7 floors before giving up and taking the elevator.

Overall, I'm not that disappointed with my post nail removal outcome.

InFullStryde

« Reply #388 on: April 01, 2019, 04:02:34 AM »

Update week 1 day 1 part 2:

The improvement in my right leg after my afternoon workout was really encouraging. I decided to go work out again at night. I biked for 30 minutes at a setting that made my knees bend really far during each pedal. It still hurt like a ***** on every motion but I was able to bend my leg much further this time.

I didn't want to lose my gym progress since December (I've been workout out at least 4 times a week or more since December 22) so I decided to do some light bodyweight exercises (leg lifts, pushups, planks). This wasn't nearly as intense or hardcore as the workouts I used to do prior to my nail removal surgery. I just didn't want to lose my gym streak.

I ended the session with a workout I did the Thursday before my surgery:

Climb up and down 20 flights of stairs. I walked, not ran (as I didn't want to take any crazy risks).
It didn't tire me at all. Climbing up the stairs was actually really easy. Climbing down was really hard (because my right leg had to bend a lot) and painful. I could only climb down 7 floors before giving up and taking the elevator.

Overall, I'm not that disappointed with my post nail removal outcome.

Hi Purush! Thank you for the detail.  I'll be honest, ever since I joined the forum back in August of 2018... I was never able to get a clear idea of what the post nail removal would be like. Your Diary is an outstanding resource for me and all.   To me it sounds like things are going pretty darn great. I mean wow, 10,000 steps on one day, etc. Soreness, etc can be expected any time a doctor goes into your body.  You're handling business the right way.

One question - Is the nail removal through the same way as the initial insertion of the nail?  And are the glutes muscle impacted in a similar way during the nail removal procedure as they are during the CLL surgery? My glutes vanished almost immediately post CLL surgery.

Thank you again for your time.

-IFS
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020

Purushrottam

« Reply #389 on: April 01, 2019, 04:10:43 AM »

Hi Purush! Thank you for the detail.  I'll be honest, ever since I joined the forum back in August of 2018... I was never able to get a clear idea of what the post nail removal would be like. Your Diary is an outstanding resource for me and all.   To me it sounds like things are going pretty darn great. I mean wow, 10,000 steps on one day, etc. Soreness, etc can be expected any time a doctor goes into your body.  You're handling business the right way.

One question - Is the nail removal through the same way as the initial insertion of the nail?  And are the glutes muscle impacted in a similar way during the nail removal procedure as they are during the CLL surgery? My glutes vanished almost immediately post CLL surgery.

Thank you again for your time.

-IFS

Hey IFS! I had a lot of trouble finding post nail removal diaries too. I think ProgramDude had one. A lot more got added after I had LL I think (YellowSpike, Brb6FtTall, etc).

It was the same way for me (through the hip).My glute muscles weren't really impacted much at all. Most of my 'pain' was at the pin sites on my femur, and that too mostly on the right leg. My glutes vanished during CLL too. They didn't seem to impacted that much by the nail removal.

Hope this helps!

InFullStryde

« Reply #390 on: April 01, 2019, 04:12:16 AM »

Hey IFS! I had a lot of trouble finding post nail removal diaries too. I think ProgramDude had one. A lot more got added after I had LL I think (YellowSpike, Brb6FtTall, etc).

It was the same way for me (through the hip).My glute muscles weren't really impacted much at all. Most of my 'pain' was at the pin sites on my femur, and that too mostly on the right leg. My glutes vanished during CLL too. They didn't seem to impacted that much by the nail removal.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Purush. Okay, good to know. 

ShortLivesMatter

« Reply #391 on: April 01, 2019, 05:46:05 AM »

Hey Puru, sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble after your nail removal. I had mine removed with Dr. Rozbruch back in October and was limping/swaying for the first 2-3 days but besides that I did not have any difficulty in ROM or pain and after a week I was completely back to normal.  I think you might have pushed yourself too hard right after as I did not do any intense physical activity and just rested after surgery.  Hope you recover and get back to 100% real soon buddy. 

Purushrottam

« Reply #392 on: April 02, 2019, 06:38:45 AM »

Update: 1 week 3 days post nail removal

I may have worked out too hard yesterday. I woke up sore as hell. My walking was really bad. However by evening I was fine and went to the gym for cycling. My right leg bends further now (past 90degrees). I can climb stairs fine now.

Hey Puru, sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble after your nail removal. I had mine removed with Dr. Rozbruch back in October and was limping/swaying for the first 2-3 days but besides that I did not have any difficulty in ROM or pain and after a week I was completely back to normal.  I think you might have pushed yourself too hard right after as I did not do any intense physical activity and just rested after surgery.  Hope you recover and get back to 100% real soon buddy. 

It’s no problem. I’m still going about my life as normal. Thanks for your wishes.

SimonFuller

« Reply #393 on: April 02, 2019, 08:40:54 AM »

Update: 1 week 3 days post nail removal

I may have worked out too hard yesterday. I woke up sore as hell. My walking was really bad. However by evening I was fine and went to the gym for cycling. My right leg bends further now (past 90degrees). I can climb stairs fine now.

It’s no problem. I’m still going about my life as normal. Thanks for your wishes.

Good to hear bro - you are a strong chap - I have full confidence you will be fine and back to normal in a few days.

I have had wiring removed for a previous operation - so despite it being much lighter than the original operation - I still needed to take it easy.

Purushrottam

« Reply #394 on: April 07, 2019, 09:20:54 PM »

Good to hear bro - you are a strong chap - I have full confidence you will be fine and back to normal in a few days.

I have had wiring removed for a previous operation - so despite it being much lighter than the original operation - I still needed to take it easy.

Thanks man! Good to know!

Update 2 weeks, 2 days after nail removal:

Sorry for my slow updates. There isn't really much to report on anymore. My legs feel totally normal. I walked 8 miles yesterday and 6 miles today. I'm doing light workouts at the gym. Other than the fact that I know my bones still have holes in them, they don't feel any different. I am not going to do any heavy physical activity until May. That bums me out a little bit because I've been working hard to get a summer body by summer. 6 weeks w.o lifting weights is not good lol.

Once I start playing sports again, I'll start updating this diary about how my legs feel. I sort of forgot what it was like to have rods in my legs so I don't have a good comparison anymore.

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #395 on: April 07, 2019, 11:01:18 PM »

Do you still have any pain? Why don't you work hard on your upper body for summer?
Go for it

Ghostfish

« Reply #396 on: April 08, 2019, 12:44:54 AM »

I am not going to do any heavy physical activity until May. That bums me out a little bit because I've been working hard to get a summer body by summer. 6 weeks w.o lifting weights is not good lol.

Hi Purushrottam

Thanks for the updates!  I am so happy for you that you already feel quite normal, which is great! I am so looking forward to removing my nails too.
By the way, I think you can still do a lot of weights like Abs, arms, shoulders, etc but not like deadlift, squatting, or anything heavy on your leb.  That could be enough for the summer :)

Purushrottam

« Reply #397 on: April 10, 2019, 01:40:35 AM »

Do you still have any pain? Why don't you work hard on your upper body for summer?

No pain whatsoever. I'll get to the second part of your comment in my next update.

Hi Purushrottam

Thanks for the updates!  I am so happy for you that you already feel quite normal, which is great! I am so looking forward to removing my nails too.
By the way, I think you can still do a lot of weights like Abs, arms, shoulders, etc but not like deadlift, squatting, or anything heavy on your leb.  That could be enough for the summer :)

Thanks man! Living nail free feels great. And yes I've been doing planks and pushups.

Update: 18 days post nail removal:

I had my follow up appointment with Dr. Rozbruch. We looked over the X-Ray. I can start doing high impact sports in 6 weeks. He cleared me to lift heavy weights/do squats, etc. This is great news. I can work out again. I only had an 18 day gap of not working out.

So, long story short, I'm back to life pre LL other than running. I'll take my running stats once I'm cleared to run.

InFullStryde

« Reply #398 on: April 10, 2019, 01:42:21 AM »

Congrats, man! I love it. 

SimonFuller

« Reply #399 on: April 10, 2019, 10:20:13 AM »

No pain whatsoever. I'll get to the second part of your comment in my next update.

Thanks man! Living nail free feels great. And yes I've been doing planks and pushups.

Update: 18 days post nail removal:

I had my follow up appointment with Dr. Rozbruch. We looked over the X-Ray. I can start doing high impact sports in 6 weeks. He cleared me to lift heavy weights/do squats, etc. This is great news. I can work out again. I only had an 18 day gap of not working out.

So, long story short, I'm back to life pre LL other than running. I'll take my running stats once I'm cleared to run.

Smashedddd it! Congrats bro

Can I pm you a question on proportions please?

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
Puru vs. OYG progress update, and nail removal
« Reply #400 on: April 12, 2019, 07:05:01 AM »

Hey Puru! And hi everyone.

It's been a year after my surgeries (see my diary) and thought I would give some answers to the same questions that Puru got since I've stopped updating my diary, so you guys can compare outcomes. I hope Puru doesn't mind (and I'll also reply to a few posts of his)! And I know I should do a full update on my on diary - promise I'll do that!

Quick summary of my stats vs. Purus: late 30's, 5'5 -> 5'8, quadrilateral, used to lift a lot more, but haven't been as serious as I should have about training post-surgery. Don't do what I did. Do what Puru did.

Now (April 2019): waling is pretty normal. Nobody seems to notice anything unusual. I can jog but for 2 minutes max; can't really run, except on sand (see my Instagram). Can do 40 jumping jacks. Pain in the right knee when squatting or going down stairs, esp. if the stairs are tall. Dr. Paley said not to do deep squats, but do leg presses until the knee pain disappears. I don't know when and if that will happen - so keep in mind that even with the best doctors, there can still be complications, especially if you're older. The left knee has no problems whatsoever - so my right knee pain isn't because I haven't trained properly - I assure you that I trained both knees equally. :) Dr. Paley did acknowledge a risk of permanent knee pain after the tibia surgery:

Very little if any knee pin[sic] in our patients with CLL after tibial lengthening. I think it has to do with the minimally invasive we[sic] we insert the rod and avoid damage or irritation to the patellar tendon.

Dr. Robbins told me that removing the rods won't improve the knee, and I should see a knee specialist.

Surgery isn't an exact science. Just like Puru - his left leg was totally normal after the rods removal surgery, but the right one was in pain.

A week ago I started training hard, every day, so let's see what that does. Already I ended up with severe right knee pain one day after training (I was limping), but it went away with ice and after a good night's sleep.

I also have trouble stretching. Pain level 3-5 if I try touching my toes with knees locked. I can't do a heel sit - there's ~3cm between my heels and the butt. Puru can.

After the surgery, I had no sensation in the left calf. That's been coming back slowly, but it's still at ~70% compared to the right calf.

I know if I just reduce my expectations I could have a very happy life without LL but honestly I want the best for myself and

the older I get the more I see the importance of height or more specifically I should say the negative of being short.

In my case, that was actually the opposite. In my late 30s, nobody gives a   about my height, or anyone's. For context, the crowd I'm in are intelligent, Westerner or well-traveled people, with occupations related to high-tech. Not just software engineers, but also marketers, program managers, startup founders etc. They're from the US or Europe, or have lived there enough to be culturally acclimated. Not sure what it would be like in other cultures or demographics.

Anyway, I've told pretty much EVERYONE I've met about my surgery, along with the real reason (in maybe 10% of the cases I said I was born with one leg shorter than the other because I didn't have time or didn't want to get into a conversation and didn't care about the person). Some people were curious, others mildly impressed, but no negative reactions whatsoever. In general, people care much less about us, than we think they do. There was a famous experiment in which a guy walked around a university wearing a really weird t-shirt that made him feel self-conscious, and then the researchers asked those who saw him if they remembered anything unusual.

Puru, how do you explain your suddenly becoming taller to your close friends and family? diet, exercise and improved posture? just curious, thanks.

I'm curious if Puru wants to share some background about his family or friends. Maybe they're very conservative. I respect his choice to not mention the surgery. Myself though, I tell everyone who asks, the truth. However, very few people noticed my 3" increase in height.

I never had trouble making friends before and I don't feel any differently now so I don't think my height really had an effect on that.

Yup. Same here. The extra height basically has only helped me not feel weirdly short by comparison to women.

I wasn't having trouble dating before, but it was chicks that I was not really attracted to.

Same here. I used to win women with my personality. Problem was, they weren't very physically attracted to me, and that showed in one way or another (e.g. temptation to cheat). I was also not very physically attracted to them, because I "settled". This was even worse - after a while, I would want out of the relationship. Now I know I can do better. Haven't started yet because I'm focused on recovery and launching my own startup.

Before surgery, did you do any sports or training? If so, have you been able to do those things since you go surgery?

I used to practice martial arts 3 times a week. No way can I do that now. My agility is poor, so anything like dribbling in basketball, or dancing fast, are not something I can be good at.

Paley says that you can reach your pre LL level of athleticism (granted it would be much faster with just 5 cm). There was a golfer (college level) who had 4 cm in one leg. He was competing again after that.

I haven't practiced golf, but it doesn't seem to be that intense on your legs. You swing a gold club while staying in one place, then walk around the golf course. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is far weaker of a proof for recovering athletic ability than, say, a skier, basketball player, or boxer.

There was a dude lengthening with me who was about your height. He did the entire 8 cm (so he became 5'8"). He was 18 and trained really hard after. He started boxing (and winning international competitions).

That's better proof, but the guy was 18 - still growing.

You will shift from 6th percentile (5'4.5") to 19th percentile (5'6.5"). If do 6.5 cm, you will go to the 26th percentile (5'7.2"). If you do the entire 8 cm you will be 32nd percentile (5'7.8"). I personally think it will be worth it.

Source: https://dqydj.com/height-percentile-calculator-for-men-and-women/

At 5'8", I'm in the bottom 25% percentile, rather than 34%.

Source: Paley Institute.

Here's a question for you - what would you say to your old self to make him get over the height issue without the surgery?

Excellent question! The truth is that I could have had the surgery when I was 29. I was an idiot and didn't do it. So I'd tell myself,
"If you're under 30, do it ASAP. Don't worry about the money too much you'll make it up after. But if you're after 35... it's gonna be worth less and less. People mature, and put more emphasis on your personality than your looks. (Or if they don't, you might want to surround yourself with different  people.) The older you are, the slower the recovery. If you're in a happy relationship with someone who loves you despite your height, consider not doing it."

I don't mind. I think theres a lot of software engineers on this forum. ShortLivesMatter and OverrideYourGenetics are both SWEs as far as I know.

I'm also a full stack software developer. Quick career counseling for those interested in programming: start to learn JavaScript. It's the most popular programming language, and the only one that runs in browsers. Here is a JavaScript tutorial that doesn't require prior programming knowledge. See how you feel about it while you go through it. Some people have a natural talent for programming. I started from basically zero and got to the top few in my country within less than 6 months. It was fun and even effortless. But when it comes to sports or dancing, I don't have any sort of natural talent. See where you are on that scale. There's nothing wrong with having natural talents for other careers. Capitalize on those.

The more I bend my knee repeatedly, the better it gets. I'm going to try to get at least an hour of biking daily for the next couple of days. Each pedal motion hurts like hell (I was wincing a lot at the gym), but the progress is incredible.

Yep. Had the same experience after the insertion surgery. Cycling made the legs a lot more flexible.

Yeah my legs definitely feel a lot lighter and limber.

This.

This made me decide to have the nail removal surgery ASAP. Dr. Paley said you can have it 2 or 3 years after insertion, but I'd rather get those rods out and work on recovering my original body, not one with rods in. Plus, I can do it now without disrupting my life too much (3-6 weeks without heavy workouts or running is fine now). That might not be desirable later.

Puru, how would you say your agility is now?

Do you expect it to improve beyond the level that was possible with the rods in?
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
« Reply #401 on: April 12, 2019, 07:16:25 AM »

Hey Puru and hi everyone.

It's been a year after my surgeries (see my diary) and thought I would give some answers to the same questions that Puru got since I stopped updating my diary, so you guys can compare outcomes. I hope Puru doesn't mind (and I'll also reply to a few posts of his)! I've also posted a longer update on my diary.

Quick summary of my stats vs. Purus: late 30's, 5'5 -> 5'8, quadrilateral, used to lift a lot more (deadlift ~325lbs, squat ~300), but haven't been as serious as I should have about training post-surgery. Don't do what I did. Do what Puru did.

Now (April 2019): walking is pretty normal. Nobody seems to notice anything unusual. I can jog but for 2 minutes max; can't really run. Can do 40 jumping jacks. Pain in the right knee when squatting or going down stairs, esp. if the stairs are tall. Dr. Paley said not to do deep squats, but leg presses until the knee pain disappears. I don't know when and if that will happen - so keep in mind that even with the best doctors, there can still be complications, especially if you're older. The left knee has no problems whatsoever - so my right knee pain isn't because I haven't trained properly - I assure you that I trained both knees equally. :) Dr. Paley did acknowledge a risk of permanent knee pain after the tibia surgery:

Very little if any knee pin[sic] in our patients with CLL after tibial lengthening. I think it has to do with the minimally invasive we[sic] we insert the rod and avoid damage or irritation to the patellar tendon.

Surgery isn't an exact science. Just like Puru - his left leg was totally normal after the rods removal surgery, but the right one was in pain.

A week ago I started training hard, every day, so let's see what that does. Already I ended up with severe right knee pain one day after training (I was limping), but it went away with ice and after a good night's sleep.

I also have trouble stretching. Pain level 3-5 if I try touching my toes with knees locked. I can't do a heel sit - there's ~3cm between my heels and the butt. Puru can.

After the surgery, I had no sensation in the left calf. That's been coming back slowly, but it's still at ~70% compared to the right calf.

I know if I just reduce my expectations I could have a very happy life without LL but honestly I want the best for myself and

Be aware that CLL will also negatively impact your life. There's always the risk of complications, and depending on what "the best" is for you, you might find out that you can no longer enjoy it (e.g. martial arts, fast-action sports, effective self-defense, running, competitive dancing etc.). It's extremely rare to recover 100% of your athletic abilities after this surgery. From what I've read, only very young individuals who trained very hard, managed that. Of course, if your desired life doesn't involve activities like the ones I've mentioned (e.g. you plan to golf instead of playing basketball), you may still have 'the best".

the older I get the more I see the importance of height or more specifically I should say the negative of being short.

In my case, that was actually the opposite. In my late 30s, nobody gives a   about my height, or anyone's. For context, the crowd I'm in are intelligent, Westerner or well-traveled people, with occupations related to high-tech. Not just software engineers, but also marketers, program managers, startup founders etc. They're from the US or Europe, or have lived there enough to be culturally acclimated. Not sure what it would be like in other cultures or demographics.

Anyway, I've told pretty much EVERYONE I've met about my surgery, along with the real reason (in maybe 10% of the cases I said I was born with one leg shorter than the other because I didn't have time or didn't want to get into a conversation and didn't care about the person). Some people were curious, others mildly impressed, but no negative reactions whatsoever. In general, people care much less about us, than we think they do. There was a famous experiment in which a guy walked around a university wearing a really weird t-shirt that made him feel self-conscious, and then the researchers asked those who saw him if they remembered anything unusual.

Puru, how do you explain your suddenly becoming taller to your close friends and family? diet, exercise and improved posture? just curious, thanks.

I'm curious if Puru wants to share some background about his family or friends. Maybe they're very conservative. I respect his choice to not mention the surgery. Myself though, I tell everyone who asks, the truth. However, very few people noticed my 3" increase in height.

I never had trouble making friends before and I don't feel any differently now so I don't think my height really had an effect on that.

Yup. Same here. The extra height basically has only helped me not feel weirdly short by comparison to women.

I wasn't having trouble dating before, but it was chicks that I was not really attracted to.

Same here. I used to win women with my personality. Problem was, they weren't very physically attracted to me, and that showed in one way or another (e.g. temptation to cheat). I was also not very physically attracted to them, because I "settled". This was even worse - after a while, I would want out of the relationship. Now I know I can do better. Haven't started yet because I'm focused on recovery and launching my own startup.

Before surgery, did you do any sports or training? If so, have you been able to do those things since you go surgery?

I used to practice martial arts 3 times a week. No way can I do the legwork part of that now. My agility is poor, so activities like dribbling in basketball/soccer, boxing, or dancing fast, are not something I can be good at.

Paley says that you can reach your pre LL level of athleticism (granted it would be much faster with just 5 cm). There was a golfer (college level) who had 4 cm in one leg. He was competing again after that.

I haven't practiced golf, but it doesn't seem to be that intense on your legs. You swing a gold club while staying in one place, then walk around the golf course. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is far weaker of a proof for recovering athletic ability than, say, a skier, basketball player, or boxer.

There was a dude lengthening with me who was about your height. He did the entire 8 cm (so he became 5'8"). He was 18 and trained really hard after. He started boxing (and winning international competitions).

That's better proof, but the guy was 18 - still growing.

You will shift from 6th percentile (5'4.5") to 19th percentile (5'6.5"). If do 6.5 cm, you will go to the 26th percentile (5'7.2"). If you do the entire 8 cm you will be 32nd percentile (5'7.8"). I personally think it will be worth it.

Source: https://dqydj.com/height-percentile-calculator-for-men-and-women/

At 5'8", I'm in the bottom 25% percentile, rather than 34%.

Source: Paley Institute.

Here's a question for you - what would you say to your old self to make him get over the height issue without the surgery?

Excellent question! The truth is that I could have had the surgery when I was 29. I was an idiot and didn't do it. So I'd tell myself,
"If you're under 30, do it ASAP. Don't worry about the money too much you'll make it up after. But if you're after 35... it's gonna be worth less and less. People mature, and put more emphasis on your personality than your looks. (Or if they don't, you might want to surround yourself with different  people.) The older you are, the slower the recovery. If you're in a happy relationship with someone who loves you despite your height, consider not doing it."

Yeah my legs definitely feel a lot lighter and limber.

This.

This made me decide to have the nail removal surgery ASAP. Dr. Paley said you can have it 2 or 3 years after insertion, but I'd rather get those rods out and work on recovering my original body, not one with rods in. Plus, I can do it now without disrupting my life too much (6 weeks without heavy workouts or running is fine now). That might not be the case later.

I'm also a full stack software developer. Quick career counseling for those interested in programming: start to learn JavaScript. It's the most popular programming language, and the only one that runs in browsers. Here is a JavaScript tutorial that doesn't require prior programming knowledge. See how you feel about it while you go through it. Some people have a natural talent for programming. I started from basically zero and got to the top few in my country within less than 6 months. It was fun and even effortless. But when it comes to sports or dancing, I don't have any sort of natural talent. See where you are on that scale. There's nothing wrong with having natural talents for other careers. Capitalize on those.

The more I bend my knee repeatedly, the better it gets. I'm going to try to get at least an hour of biking daily for the next couple of days. Each pedal motion hurts like hell (I was wincing a lot at the gym), but the progress is incredible.

Yep. Had the same experience after the insertion surgery. Cycling made the legs a lot more flexible.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 07:36:41 AM by OverrideYourGenetics »
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

riskTaker

• Visitor
« Reply #402 on: April 13, 2019, 09:15:22 PM »

So what is the sensation that stops you from jogging more than 2 minutes? Normal fatigue? Soft tissue pain? 2 minutes is nothing, not being able to even jog for 5 minutes a year later is a scary thought.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up