Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5 people that are significantly shorter than their fathers  (Read 18552 times)

Re: 5 people that are significantly shorter than their fathers
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2018, 10:24:25 PM »

Bruce, can you find pictures of the Roosmalen and his father?

And honestly, most of the pics are nice to see genetics at work, but most also haven't been under 5'9.

This hurts to look at.

Weirdest thing is that people say Jews are shorter than European average (avg being same as the one in Portugal/Spain/North Africa), but his Jewish side is his father's side.

Since this thread was first created, I believe I have researched enough about height to think most of these cases were by parents who themselves never reached their genetic height potential. However, it could always be some variant SNPs from a 6'1 grandfather randomly appearing again in a grandson.

Yes, I can easily.

myloginacct

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2018, 10:52:39 AM »

Yes, I can easily.

Funny how his son being physically fit makes the massive difference seem more "normal". Of course, the difference would look ridiculous if his father was in his prime and still ripped.

Do you think you can find out pictures and/or the height of his mother?

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2018, 07:42:57 AM »

Funny how his son being physically fit makes the massive difference seem more "normal". Of course, the difference would look ridiculous if his father was in his prime and still ripped.

Do you think you can find out pictures and/or the height of his mother?

Yes, you can change weight easily and you can't change height.

He told me that his mother is small. The brother Nordin Van Roosmalen is only 5'9" himself.

myloginacct

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2018, 11:54:17 AM »

Yes, you can change weight easily and you can't change height.

He told me that his mother is small. The brother Nordin Van Roosmalen is only 5'9" himself.

5'9 is pretty good. He must have a ridiculously short mother (like Jeb's son) or very bad luck with the genetic lottery. Probably both.

myloginacct

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2018, 09:13:59 PM »

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/08/was-yao-ming-bred/

I think the author's estimation of heritability is off (granted, it's an article from 2010), there's a lot we still don't know about the genetics of height, but he almost certainly has a much better foundation on the topic than anyone here ("I hold degrees in biology and biochemistry from the University of Oregon, and am currently on leave from the University of California at Davis’ genetics Ph.D. program"). So it's interesting to see the formula and the approach he used to try and predict Yao Ming's expected height.

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2018, 09:13:53 AM »

James Brolin 6'3" and Josh Brolin 5'10" (5 inches difference!)

EDIT: Ops. Didn't realized he was mentioned on the 2nd page. But here are better pics.

CaptainAmerica

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2018, 05:26:15 PM »

As you said in the other thread Bruce, once you're a certain height, height differences just don't look so brutal anymore. Yeah his dad is 6'3 and he's 5'10 but the difference between them doesn't even look that big and they both appear to be a respectable height. If he was 5'5 though and his dad was 5'10 I'm almost positive the picture would look very different.

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2018, 11:34:45 PM »

As you said in the other thread Bruce, once you're a certain height, height differences just don't look so brutal anymore. Yeah his dad is 6'3 and he's 5'10 but the difference between them doesn't even look that big and they both appear to be a respectable height. If he was 5'5 though and his dad was 5'10 I'm almost positive the picture would look very different.

They both respectable height, yes (Eventhough technically speaking his father is still superior height). But the difference is quite huge. Look at the 2nd pic.

Of course it's still way better than 5'10" and 5'5".

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2020, 10:06:09 AM »

Adding 5'9" John David Washington and 6' Denzel Washington

https://www.celebheights.com/s/John-David-Washington-50613.html

And 5'8" Robert Downey Jr. and 6'3" Robert Downey Sr.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2020, 10:16:56 AM »

The difference between Denzel and his dad looks miniscule.

Edit: Denzel and his son.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 11:20:51 AM by IwannaBeTaller »
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2020, 11:09:29 AM »

The difference between Denzel and his dad looks miniscule.

You mean John David and his dad.

Yeah in the picture he's probably wearing lifts or his dad already shrunk a lot at 60.

But on paper he's 5'9" and his dad 5'6".

It should be noted that the mother is quite tall.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2020, 12:17:24 PM »

Downey Jr. is an interesting case. It's inspiring to see a guy whose dad is a good chunk taller (although he doesn't look 6'3 even if Celebheights says so) come to Hollywood fame and enormous success, albeit good looks, talent and probably a lot of luck helped him achieve that. I searched for pics of his mother and she didn't even seem that short in her younger years, giving proof that sometimes, people just end up shorter than their dads even if their mothers weren't crazy short:

It's also quite hilarious in that regard that Downey Jr. is still being framed as a fat cat businessman who stands taller than his younger protege Peter Parker (played by Tom Holland) in the newer Spider Man films. Although lifts, which Downey has been known to wear often, probably assist him in that regard.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

snowpiecer

« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2020, 12:27:48 PM »

Height does not only depend on your parents' height. I've met many short men who had tall sons. Sometimes,you can get the genes of tall/short people from your family.
For ex: Someone may have short parents but if his mom's dad(grandfather) was tall, he may get his grandfather's genes by chance and end up tall too.
Similarly, you can end up short even if your parents are tall.(Although chance of this happening is pretty low)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 02:18:00 PM by snowpiecer »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up