Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LON in Vietnam  (Read 35666 times)

normythebear

Re: LON in Vietnam
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2017, 10:22:36 PM »

This is just an update with X-rays. Though I thought I was at 20mm, the measurement on the screen shows that I'm only at 16mm. I'm guessing that the frame isn't exactly the most accurate gauge of distraction length and that I should trust the X-ray more. I'm also guessing that not every millimeter gained on the frame directly translates to a millimeter of bone distraction. The doctor also said that he is able to correct any slight discrepancies (within reason)if my legs end up at different lengths, which they shouldn't.
It looks like my fibula isn't perfectly straight. Is this any cause for concern? I don't want it to heal permanently crooked.
Also, I'm at slightly more than one month since the surgery. Should I be worried about callus formation yet? It doesn't seem like there is much, if anything there. I am a healthy person, so I'm guessing there is no reason why it shouldn't form eventually.
Lastly, since I'm not doing quadrilaterals anymore, does anyone know of a way to change the topic name away from quadrilaterals to maybe "LON in Vietnam"?
Left leg:
Right Leg:

myloginacct

« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2018, 07:57:07 PM »

I think only an admin could change the name of your topic.

And I have no idea about the callus formation. Ask your doctor about it, if you haven't already. I really hope someone who went through LL can help you with that question, otherwise you should start making threads/pming people to make sure, in case your doctor hasn't already given good input to you on that subject.

Android

« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2018, 11:40:18 PM »

I'm not sure if this is what's going on, but here's a snippet from a paper regarding callus formation and x-rays, emphasis mine:

Endosteal callus or intramedually callus also develops as part of the healing process. This type of callus is usually not visible on x-ray film. Fractures of short or irregular bones, such as the scaphoid or calcaneus, primarily heal internally and rely chiefly on endosteal callus formation for repair. This is because these types of bone have little cortex to produce radiodense callus.

Maybe your new calluses are too premature for x-ray to pick up. Ask your doctor!
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

normythebear

« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2018, 11:57:11 PM »

I've been assured by my doctor that everything looks great, and though I trust him, I still want to hear opinions. I am guessing that statistically, since this is a normal LON LL, I'm most likely to fall into average healing times, with average likelihood of complications. I'm just strongly afraid of things like non-union or any other small percentage chance of complications that could result in long lasting debilitation. When have calluses usually been apparent for those that have had LL before?

dean9191

« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2018, 03:16:23 AM »

I don't think you should worry about callus formation yet. Non union is very rare so just give it some time atm

yagen

« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2018, 07:25:27 AM »

normybear,

I did tibias with an internal method, check my xray that I posted beside I did femurs too.

I think that you must to have any visible callus. I recommended you if you reach 3 cms and you don't see any callus to stop till you see bone growing.

what is the opinion of the doctor about deviation of the fibula? You need to do a xray stand up thus you can check the right position of the axial angle of the ankle.

"Axial alignment

Tibial shaft alignment varies considerably. The medial distal tibia joint angle varies between 88 to 94° in the AP, and the anterior distal tibial joint angle between 78 to 82° in the lateral view.

Tibial shaft alignment is influenced by the fibular reduction. If the fibula is too short, a valgus malalignment is likely. This is because the two bones are connected by the syndesmotic ligaments which are usually intact. This problem is demonstrated by the second case, below.

To avoid lateral shortening and valgus deformity, a comminuted fibula is better repaired after the tibia."

Best wishes

kingofstory

• Visitor
  • Banned: Bander72 Mutiple Accounts
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2018, 05:39:31 AM »

I hope anyone reading this journal thinks carefully before deciding to do this dangerous surgery in vietnam.

esdkuci

• Visitor
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2018, 07:18:13 AM »

hello normy , its been a while since your last update .
how your recovery going?
i hope everything is going well  :)

normythebear

« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2018, 08:58:49 AM »

Hey, I think I'm doing pretty alright. In a few days I'm going to get my next X rays to see how it is going. I don't post much because a lot of it is mundane: reading books, stretching, playing video games, eating, Facebook, and lengthening every few hours. I also feel that the forums can sometimes be a toxic place that puts me in a bad mood if I'm not careful. I was going to start getting defensive because of kingofstory's post, but then realized it wouldn't accomplish anything, but it's not as though I didn't have a flash of anger when I first read it, or the hundreds of similar posts littered throughout this forum. So, I simply stay away usually, unless someone DM's me and I have to go to the website to respond, which is what happened today. I realize that LL is a huge risk and people should think carefully about it, but I don't think it is a mystery to anyone on this forum what the procedure is: they break your bones and then pull them apart. It's painful, and there is an element of risk. Everyone knows this. Posts like kingofstory add absolutely no value to the conversation, especially since I'm in Vietnam and have already had the surgery. Where I can try to provide some value is by sharing my experience about a place that most people immediately dismiss, but at least a few people are wondering about. I still read about LL, but rarely from the forums. I usually read from medical journals.

dean9191

« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2018, 02:54:46 PM »

hey man, didnt see you online on whatsapp lately

littlerichard

• Visitor
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2018, 03:19:35 AM »

Hey, I think I'm doing pretty alright. In a few days I'm going to get my next X rays to see how it is going. I don't post much because a lot of it is mundane: reading books, stretching, playing video games, eating, Facebook, and lengthening every few hours. I also feel that the forums can sometimes be a toxic place that puts me in a bad mood if I'm not careful. I was going to start getting defensive because of kingofstory's post, but then realized it wouldn't accomplish anything, but it's not as though I didn't have a flash of anger when I first read it, or the hundreds of similar posts littered throughout this forum. So, I simply stay away usually, unless someone DM's me and I have to go to the website to respond, which is what happened today. I realize that LL is a huge risk and people should think carefully about it, but I don't think it is a mystery to anyone on this forum what the procedure is: they break your bones and then pull them apart. It's painful, and there is an element of risk. Everyone knows this. Posts like kingofstory add absolutely no value to the conversation, especially since I'm in Vietnam and have already had the surgery. Where I can try to provide some value is by sharing my experience about a place that most people immediately dismiss, but at least a few people are wondering about. I still read about LL, but rarely from the forums. I usually read from medical journals.

Anyone trying to persuade others to not go Vietnam is making worthwhile post. Hopefully others wont end up in a future fate similar to what yours will be. You should be looking into getting one of these.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71vqFSyxfrL._AC_UL320_SR218,320_.jpg

Android

« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2018, 06:25:25 AM »

Glad to hear that you're doing well, normy. I don't blame you about the lack of updates, the boredom phase seems to hit everyone no matter how pumped you start out.

I agree that it can get toxic in here, so feel free to write something up beforehand and posting it when you get a chance. You don't even need to read the replies, just ask people to PM you. Keep it up!
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Android

« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2018, 06:34:06 AM »

Anyone trying to persuade others to not go Vietnam is making worthwhile post. Hopefully others wont end up in a future fate similar to what yours will be. You should be looking into getting one of these.

He has already gone through surgery, he's at his most vulnerable in the distraction phase. Why don't you hold the "I told you so" posts until it's called for? It's possible that this will be a routine, boring CLL diary with only minor complications (i.e. the best kind). No point in rubbing in something that's unfounded, normy's a big boy and he knew the risks. Feel free to start a new thread about disapprovals, but maybe a person's diary isn't the best place to do it (and really, what hasn't been said here already).

Immortal words of Thumper:

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:59:05 AM by Android »

myloginacct

« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2018, 07:46:22 AM »

He has already gone through surgery, he's at his most vulnerable in the distraction phase. Why don't you hold the "I told you so" posts until it's called for? It's possible that this will be a routine, boring CLL diary with routine minor complications (i.e. the best kind). No point in rubbing in something that's unfounded, normy's a big boy and he knew the risks. Feel free to start a new thread about disapprovals, but maybe a person's diary isn't the best place to do it (and really, what hasn't been said here already).

Immortal words of Thumper:

Yes. And he's not doing quadrilaterals anymore, thankfully. Normy already went and got the surgery. Even if Richard personally disagrees with getting CLL in Vietnam, he needs to think of the fellow human being he is talking to. Psychological factors can be a problem in recovering from any health related issues, so, if he thinks CLL in Vietnam is really that bad, he needs to realize he is making it "even" worse.

normythebear

« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2018, 06:01:11 PM »

That's the partially the problem with anonymity on the internet. Things people wouldn't say in person, they say on the internet all the time. People don't seem to take into account the other human being with similar emotions that read their negative comments. The anonymity is making us worse people towards each other. Let's say I do end up disabled, and it was my fault because I voluntarily decided to do this surgery, is that something to rejoice? Let's say someone is badly injured because they were riding a motorcycle too fast for their abilities. That was voluntary. Do you make fun of them? Would you in person?
I can be very harsh when it comes to me attacking ideas, especially on the internet. However, that's the thing, I attack the idea and rarely the person, because it shows, if anything, a lack of good argument and reflects more upon me than the person I'm trying to attack. Attack the idea of gettting the surgery in Vietnam, instead of being like "haha, you're going to be in a wheelchair and a drain on the economy that my tax dollars pay for. Haha". If Vietnam sucks, then tell me why it sucks. Have you been here? Are you going to cite things like GDP per capita, or infant mortality rate? Are you a doctor? Have you even ever left your home country before? What qualifications do you have? You also talk a lot like DrSarcastic or whatever myriad of names that person had. Are you just another iteration? Because if so, that's definitely time consuming, and pretty sad.

I get the skepticism, Vietnam is a developing country. You walk down the streets and see trash in the gutters and pollution in the river. I've occasionally been disgusted by this country before, but you know, I actually kind of like it here because I see a bright future for this country in just a few decades. Liking this country contributed to my decision to have the surgery here instead of Russia. I'm studying to be a doctor and have thus volunteered and witnessed many surgeries in hospitals all around this world, including many " craphole" countries. I can get a good feeling if a doctor is skilled or not. There are good and bad doctors everywhere, but the highly skilled doctors, even in developing countries are still highly skilled. I feel this doctor is pretty skilled. If he felt sketchy, I wouldn't have gone through with the surgery, even at a very good price. My freedom of mobility is more important than saving a few thousand dollars. So, you're still not adding anything because you don't provide new information. Like I said before, everyone here knows what's involved: breaking legs and pulling them apart. Everyone knows there is risk. What value are you providing, besides being a crapposter? If this is your thing, do you also go to transgender forums and make fun of them? How about just average plastic surgery forums? Or how about just autistic support forums, while we're at it.

I took a risk. I wasn't fully uncertain in advance the quality of the doctor I went with because I didn't see his surgeries before having it myself. However, I met a patient of his who turned out well. I saw that the facilities were good, the staff were professional, and the quality of materials were good. That was enough for me to take the risk myself, especially since the price was right. Look, I get absolutely nothing by posting good about this doctor and Vietnam. I've already paid for this surgery months ago. They're not going to pay me to advertise on some obscure forum that I'm not even sure the doctor knows exists. What I do get is some satisfaction for standing up for truth as I see it from my perspective. Knowing what I know now, I still would have gone to Vietnam for this surgery, unless I happened to be making over a million dollars per year, and that would only be so I could stay in the US/Europe to work. If the outcome is good and the price is good, that's the place I'm going to get the surgery. Even if I were making $100K per year, I couldn't justify spending the entirety of my income on a surgery that can be done with similar outcomes elsewhere for significantly less. It's just value propostion, and even if the US surgery were "only" $40k, I would still probably strongly consider going to Vietnam. Europe and the US just doesn't make good economic sense for this particular surgery, unless you're just absolutely ballerific wealthy and utterly set on using internals only. If that opinion changes, I'll truthfully let the forum know, unless I get too provoked, delete my account, and ragequit the forum entirely.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:45:25 PM by normythebear »

Heman Master of the unive

• Visitor
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2018, 10:25:29 AM »

The only sensible thing you have done is not go ahead with qaudrilaterals. You still made the idiotic decision to do the surgery so no one is trying to talk you out of it dumbass. This is to warn the gullible idiots that might actually be thinking in following in your idiotic footsteps. You say that ass of a country Vietnam will be developed, which would only happen in a long long long long long long.... time from now. You fool India is a powerhouse in terms of population and it's still in the garbage. How would the much smaller, poorer vietnam do what they cant. Right now as trump would say its a $hltthole. Besides lacking faith in you for your obvious lack of iq to even consider quadrilateral, there were other idiots making threads from Vietnam that seemed like complete scammers. So if you decided to leave the forum you would be doing a service to keep idiots from doing the same idiotic mistakes.

normythebear

« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2018, 11:54:59 AM »

Nice ad-hominems. You've clearly never taken a university-level rhetorics class. Who probably knows more about Vietnam? You, the person that can't string together a coherent sentence without reusing an insult ("idiots"), or the person that is currently there?
Why do you care about all the "gullible idiots" on this forum anyway? Who made you their Messiah? Clearly, you can't care too much, since you seem to have no problem insulting their intelligence also. If you don't like Vietnam, don't fking come to Vietnam. Let the other adults in this forum make their own decision. You're not the Limb Lengthening Jesus and they don't need you. Get a life. The only reason I bother responding to you is because I currently have a lot of free time. What's your excuse? Why do you spend so much time on these forums? I have a reason to be here. Are you only here because you have nothing better going on?
I'm willing to bet that you haven't been to either India, Vietnam, or even outside of your own region of the world.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:18:52 PM by normythebear »

doomsday

« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2018, 05:53:08 PM »

have you got xrays?

Android

« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2018, 10:06:09 PM »

The last few posts made me think, "someone had to be the first to go to Beijing." Wishing you the best, normy.

Thatdude950

« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2018, 05:15:01 AM »

How goes it?

esdkuci

• Visitor
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2018, 08:15:59 PM »

hello normy , glad to saw ur progress on last post .
please dont take words from those annoying people .
u have clear mind to think and making decision.
pls dont even let them making u regret it might affect ur recovery.

u must show that something good is happen to u ,

how everything doin ? is it all good?  :)
hope everything is okay  :D

normythebear

« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2018, 03:34:38 PM »

It's been over a month since I've been on here. I have been responding to people when they send me a PM. I honestly just got tired of the forums with its negativity. I've even received harassing PMs before telling me how stupid I am for going to Vietnam, so I've just learned to ignore this forum. Anyway, progress is still good, though I have pains here and there and it sometimes interferes with my sleep. LL is definitely not a cakewalk, but as of right now, I still don't regret doing this, nor do I regret going to Vietnam for the surgery. However, as I've probably mentioned elsewhere, I'll only truly decide whether or not I regret this about a year from now when I'm mostly healed and (hopefully) walking and moving about just fine. I have faith that the surgery that me and my fellow patients here was done well, all my scars are healed and are mostly invisible, though I'm worried about how the pin sites will look. If it has post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, I can cover that easily with makeup until it goes away, but if there is a noticeable dip in the skin, that will be harder to hide. A year or two later, as you may know, included in the price is the nail removal. What you may not know is that the doctor also offers to do scar revision on the pin sites at the same time without any added costs. I'd rather my pin sites heal nicely and not have to worry about any scar revision surgery at all.

I got Xrays today and am at 6cm and am having my frames removed soon and the nails locked. The bones seem to have decent callus formation. I'd post the Xrays immediately, but my phone is broke, so I'll have to find someone to take a photo for me.

Android

« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2018, 05:57:21 PM »

Thanks for updating us normy, sorry to hear that you're being PM'd by haters. Too bad you can't block people on this forum.

Good to hear that you're almost done with lengthening. Keep strong!

lucindaris

« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2018, 01:56:00 AM »

Indeed, he is responding in private messages. I consider seriously going Vietnam, country is not that developed but hospital is modern and doctor is enough experienced. You might get same outcome without losing money.

positive

• Visitor
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2018, 05:35:08 AM »

Thanks for your information, Nommy. You've been very helpful. Ignore those   and best wishes to you.

dean9191

« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2018, 04:50:54 PM »

All the best normy. This explains why ur not online on wtsapp. Hope to hear from u soon

myloginacct

« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2018, 09:54:54 PM »

Great that everything seems to have gone perfectly.

I hope you get a great recovery.

Bltzkrg

• Visitor
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2018, 02:21:25 AM »

I hope all is well in your lengthening.
Please finish this diary and ignore the toxic people in this forum. You made a decision to do it and you've done it, all we can do is hope for the best.
I am considering going to the same doctor for my surgery as well and this diary is helping me out with alot of info. Also, don't hesitate to share anything. Thank you

James

• Visitor
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2018, 06:49:33 AM »

My first post. I am having surgery with Dr. Quynh within the coming months. I went there to check out everything about a year ago. I was already OK with their old hospital. Having changed the hospital to a new one, I like to believe it will not be anything less than the old one. I was privileged enough to get to talk to the many patients they had at that time, as a result I got to see their patients with different progress stages. A majority of them were doing OK, some of them were already walking like every other everyday person you would see in the street, some of them were there for IM nails removal, some of them were still on crutches and of course with some of them were developing different levels of Equinus which should be an inevitable short-term complication of limb lengthening and can be dealt with. The only thing I'm concerned with is the temperature because I'm so used to colder weather. It was so damn hot and humid when I visited and honestly I couldn't see myself doing this whole thing soaked in sweat all day and all night long..but if the result is good, so be it. fk it and I will stand the weather. I learned the institute got revamped not long ago and allegedly they have better facilities now. Can someone verify this ? Sorry for the rambling. Hopefully I will have a pleasant stay there.

Android

« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2018, 07:11:49 AM »

Hey James, I recommend sending a Private Message (PM) to the authors of these diaries, since they'll get an email notification that you messaged them. Find the person you want to talk to and click on the little icon of a chat buttle under their name.

If it's not personal info, feel free to come back and share that with us later.

Tiger9898

« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2018, 07:36:16 AM »

It seems like one more diary will come from Vietnam.  I hope everything will be good for you, please keep us updated.  Are u thinking about tibia or femur lengthening?  Because I heard that they have developed new stable monorail for femur lengthening and first surgery will be on april with that
Age-19
Starting height: 162,5-163 cm (5 feet 4 inches)
Goal: 6,5 cm femur lengthening
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up