Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: On road for 10 cm closer to the sky with Dr. Ghassan Salameh and Dr. Schmidt  (Read 17358 times)

jackson5

I've seen a good amount of limb lengthening x rays and although the bone at that spot looks "shattered" its "normal in my opinion" with LL ( I lengthened 6.5 external fixation device. actually am doing correction now) from my experience pain comes and goes at almost every spot on the body. Do you have any swelling at that spot? redness? or anything like that? do you take any pain medications? how much do you walk per day? of course you are still using crutches?

Thanks Frost for tour reply. I take painkiller the less possible. Let's say when the pain starts at this right leg but in general the pain is so strong that the pain killer has no effect. Only diclofenac can reduce it. When I move less I don't have that pain so now I don't walk. Next week I meet my doctors and we will see what's going on and how to manage it. Hope it's not very bad thing.

jackson5

I had sort of a very slight shatter like break on the left femur but it healed totally fine because bone wasn't lost. Your alignment seems good too and if there's callus, it shouldn't matter how clean the cut was. This is purely based off second hand knowledge, I'm no doctor.

Also do NOT do 11.5cms on your tibias. There's no way you come out of that close to normal, and your proportions are going to look downright comical.
Thanks Penguinn for your reply. I will limit myself to 6.5cm only. I don't want to do gastrocnemius surgery and I don't want long term side effect of LL. I hope 6.5 is a real safe limit. But now I have lost 35° of knee bent so I think things are going wrong for me... :-(

jackson5

Thanks Frost for tour reply. I take painkiller the less possible. Let's say when the pain starts at this right leg but in general the pain is so strong that the pain killer has no effect. Only diclofenac can reduce it. When I move less I don't have that pain so now I don't walk. Next week I meet my doctors and we will see what's going on and how to manage it. Hope it's not very bad thing.

myloginacct

Thanks Penguinn for your reply. I will limit myself to 6.5cm only. I don't want to do gastrocnemius surgery and I don't want long term side effect of LL. I hope 6.5 is a real safe limit. But now I have lost 35° of knee bent so I think things are going wrong for me... :-(

5cm is the quoted "safe" limit for tibial LL. Don't go over that if you want to stay relatively safe (nothing in LL is entirely safe; you just increase the chances of problems happening a lot more by lengthening more). Stop sooner too if you are getting problems and your doctor thinks it's better to.

I personally wouldn't do more than 5cm in my tibias and 6.5cm in my femurs. I wouldn't want to risk so much for an extra centimeter.

jackson5

5cm is the quoted "safe" limit for tibial LL. Don't go over that if you want to stay relatively safe (nothing in LL is entirely safe; you just increase the chances of problems happening a lot more by lengthening more). Stop sooner too if you are getting problems and your doctor thinks it's better to.

I personally wouldn't do more than 5cm in my tibias and 6.5cm in my femurs. I wouldn't want to risk so much for an extra centimeter.

I got it. But all these pains for only 5cm is that OK?

jackson5

Hello guys, I told you I have serious knee bent so I decided to come back to Germany. Now I'm doing exercises. But when I try to straighten my legs I feel huge pain at the medial collateral ligament. I want that my doctors do an MRI to see what's really going on...
I will appreciate your feedbacks.

myloginacct

How have you been doing?

Android

I'm curious too. As the Jackson 5 once sang... I want you back!
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

PrettyTall

Hello Jack how are you doing ? hope  you doing good  any news ? how is your knee ? keep up update

jackson5

I'm curious too. As the Jackson 5 once sang... I want you back!

Hahahaha

jackson5

OK an update of my situation.

Three weeks earlier I was in panic because I could not walk, use wheel chair and I didn't know if my case is a complication or not. Now I'm a little bit confident and Dr Salameh is very reassuring. Now I can walk (... very ugly as people look at me when walking in the street but I'm on my feet 8)), I have very less pain when I walk. Just some muscle pain as I try to force to unbend my leg when I walk. I still have some knee bent. To be clear scientifically knee bent angle is measured from full flexion (0°) to full bent (135°) but I do reverse measure by considering full flexion as 180°. So I'm now able to extend to 135°, 45° still needs to be gained. I do aggressive physio and it's very very hard (mostly at the beginning). In fact I'm learning the hard way that the challenge in LL is not turning the screws or the pain at the beginning, it's mostly the AGGRESSIVE physio you NEED to do to be able to walk again. We must tell that to newbies. I was so naive to think that when I go out from hospital, I can go to work every day  ::). Pufff, forget it. Soft tissues management is the main challenge of this story. Or have much much time to stay at home post distraction to let soft tissues increase at their own pace.
I have not good callus formation specially for right leg but I hope to remove these frame as soon as possible...

My X-Rays:

Left Leg:   https://imgur.com/JZlT6d2
Right Leg: https://imgur.com/U07Ifsn

I fear of fibula parts getting disconnected, what do you think about it?

Big thanks for you messages. It's good to know that our virtual LL brothers are still here  :)
Cheers

Body Builder

Your bone bridge is not bad. You have done LL in less than 6 months ago so it is normal to have a bridge like that.

Your left fibula has a bone bridge but your right one I am not sure as I camt see clearly from the x ray.
If not then it will almost lead to non union. But the good thing is that a non union so high at fibula don't cause any major problems as doctors say. Only cuts near ankle or knee cause problems.

Keep strong!

jackson5

Your left fibula has a bone bridge but your right one I am not sure as I camt see clearly from the x ray.
If not then it will almost lead to non union.

Good to hear from you BB. Yeah I want these fibula to keep connected just to have a happy end of this journey. I read somewhere that unfixed fibula can be associated with ankle pain/arthritis...

myloginacct

Hey, Jackson5! It's great to hear that was just a scare and that it's over.

Are you finished with lengthening?

Also, remember to eat a lot and take calcium and vitamin d3 supplements, if possible.

jackson5

Hey, Jackson5! It's great to hear that was just a scare and that it's over.

Are you finished with lengthening?

Also, remember to eat a lot and take calcium and vitamin d3 supplements, if possible.

Hey! MyLoginAcct, yes I finished lengthening exactly at 25th of March for 5.8 cm and 6.6 cm (light bow leg correction) => mean of 6.3 cm per leg. And as one said on this forum, in 4 to 8 weeks I should be able to fully extend my leg, I really hope this will be the case. My doctor said Yes it will.
Thank you for this very useful link. I already have calcium but it tends to prevent me from sleeping well. I should/will buy some vitamin D3 supplements and check the list at the link. Houuup! LL is really a very huge and hard process in a life, it's not simple as just going and doing something like nose surgery for example :-) Big congratulations to all LLiers, you're a very warrior, warrior for a better life. I already know everyone of you doing this, refuses simple life and fatality of genes and wants the best for a single living life! BIG CONGRAT!

Constantine

Hey! MyLoginAcct, yes I finished lengthening exactly at 25th of March for 5.8 cm and 6.6 cm (light bow leg correction) => mean of 6.3 cm per leg. And as one said on this forum, in 4 to 8 weeks I should be able to fully extend my leg, I really hope this will be the case. My doctor said Yes it will.
Thank you for this very useful link. I already have calcium but it tends to prevent me from sleeping well. I should/will buy some vitamin D3 supplements and check the list at the link. Houuup! LL is really a very huge and hard process in a life, it's not simple as just going and doing something like nose surgery for example :-) Big congratulations to all LLiers, you're a very warrior, warrior for a better life. I already know everyone of you doing this, refuses simple life and fatality of genes and wants the best for a single living life! BIG CONGRAT!

Hello Jackson5,

How is your recovery going ? Can you describe the first days and weeks and the improvement etc , and how the pain level reduces etc?

I wish you a good recovery. I am at 5,65cm lengthening now.

jackson5

Hi Constantine,
What do you mean by the first day? from the surgery? At 5.65 cm have you got some issues like knee bent etc. ?

Constantine

Hi Constantine,
What do you mean by the first day? from the surgery? At 5.65 cm have you got some issues like knee bent etc. ?

Sorry for my English . I meant the first days after you stopped clicking.
What you mean with knee bent? Is that your knee is bent and you can’t stretch your legs fully ?

jackson5

Sorry for my English . I meant the first days after you stopped clicking.
What you mean with knee bent? Is that your knee is bent and you can’t stretch your legs fully ?

OK Constantine, you're right for knee bent definition about me, I can't fully stretch my legs. 30 days after last clicking I was at angle 30° to 25°. It depends on my measurement before or after physio/stretching. Today 1 month and 1 week, I'm at 20° to 17°. I use Android app Angle Meter Pro. You put your phone on your thigh, note the measure, then in the alignment of your tibia, measure again and the difference is your current angle at maximum stretching.
The good news, even for me, the unbending is slow, is that now I have less and less pain so walking is becoming more and more a pleasure...
To accelerate the unbending of my leg I started to work, everyone is looking at me when I'm walking but it's fine for my fast recovery.

Thequietone

• Visitor

How is it going, jackson?

jackson5

Re: On road for 10 cm closer to the sky with Dr. Ghassan Salameh and Dr. Schmidt
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2018, 03:44:43 PM »

Hi, I'm very sad because I measured my tibia recently and I have only done around 4.5cm (more of less). I could not do more because of the limited rod length which I asked to replace from the day of surgery to the end without success (the answer from Doctor Salameh was always no). As you can see on the x-ray (link below) in red there is no more room for lengthening. Now I'm waiting of the different options from the doctors because I'm not satisfied. I will let you know the outcome. Houdini talked about that in his dairy on makemetaller.

X-Ray: https://imgur.com/a/qObbFQV

jackson5

Re: On road for 10 cm closer to the sky with Dr. Ghassan Salameh and Dr. Schmidt
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2018, 07:36:29 PM »

Hello
I discuss with doctor Salameh and we did measurement based on X-Ray images together. He told me that I've done around 7cm so that's a great news. And we discuss for a long time about why he did not replace the short rods. It was to protect me because of my alarming knee bent. So I don't regret my choice, later I will explain you the advantages of the device and some improvements to plan.

OliverA

• Visitor
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2018, 01:21:42 PM »

Hello Jackson. Congratulations for your successful surgery. You are so brave to deal with that painful process. There are some queries, if you may clarify my questions, I will be very appreciated. How tall are you now? Is it 175.5cm? Also, is there any side effect after the surgery? How much time you take to fully recover? How much you have paid to the Dr Ghassan Salameh for the surgery? Did the payment include lodging? Why you did not stay in The Dr Ghassan Salameh’s clinic when you were recovering? How much money you have totally spent during the process? Thank you

Sanity

well knee problems are easier to fix imo because of more longer soft tissue involvement. are u also facing ballerina foot drops?
post ll:  5'10.5  (+2.25 in)

jackson5

Hello Jackson. Congratulations for your successful surgery. You are so brave to deal with that painful process. There are some queries, if you may clarify my questions, I will be very appreciated. How tall are you now? Is it 175.5cm? Also, is there any side effect after the surgery? How much time you take to fully recover? How much you have paid to the Dr Ghassan Salameh for the surgery? Did the payment include lodging? Why you did not stay in The Dr Ghassan Salameh’s clinic when you were recovering? How much money you have totally spent during the process? Thank you

Hello OliverA, I can't talk about the surgery cost as the costs are published online.The price does not include lodging. I don't know my final height yet because of knee bent and ballerina feet the measure is not precise. I did not stay in the clinic (in fact apartment) because after reading a lot of diary, I knew the lengthening can be done at home and it's boring to be alone in foreign country to do that. The device is well designed so that you don't have to worry about pin break when you're at home.

well knee problems are easier to fix imo because of more longer soft tissue involvement. are u also facing ballerina foot drops?

Side effect now: annoying ballerina feet which I hope will fade with time (better handled with shoe inserts). Time to walk again with crutches 4 months, time to walk without crutches 6 months so plan your work and financial life accordingly.
Hope this helps you

IwannaBeTaller

Hey Jackson5, are you able to walk without crutches at the moment?
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

jackson5

Hey Jackson5, are you able to walk without crutches at the moment?

Yes my friend, that's the case

jackson5

Now why I chosen this device and Dr Salameh:

- His past record specially on this web site. And now I can confirm that he is a good doctor and he knows what to do and when to do it. You are more than a patient with him.
- The device compactness because my plan was to return back to work one month after surgery and people not noticing the device
- No worries about pin break for the same reason as above

What I discover:
- The device compactness, small size so almost I could wear my regular pant, jean almost not noticeable but a little bit for the ones who look longely at you
- Pins are bold so they will never break but bold also mean infection at some pins specially the ones near the knee joint. If you find solution to this and knee bent you can walk during the whole process because
- The device is weight bearing from second day of surgery
- It allows simultaneous lengthening and bowing correction I had small bow legs which didn't bother me but Dr Salameh suggested me to correct it and at the end I have straight legs. I don't know if straight legs are beautiful because personally I like small bowed legs :-)
- The device doesn't harm muscles. Now after device removal I have pain fading day by day at only one pin level

If your plan is to go to work after one month forget about it (or work online form home if possible), due to knee bent, pin sites infection, ballerina feet you will hardly walk til 5 months. And when you start to walk you will be like spider (man) 2 crutches and two legs bent at more than 30 degrees hahaha.

In Germany Dr Salameh works with Dr Schmidt, so you will interact a lot with Dr Salameh and for travel, appointment, surgery planning, room booking and medications Dr Schmidt will take care of you

Notice that Dr Salameh is too protective so if he feels something is going wrong or you want crazy lengthening forget about it. The lengthening is done in two steps. The first cm are possible after the surgery, Above 5 to 7 cm you need to come back to Germany to replace the rods

For me the device is the best for the ones who wants to do lengthening at home and to go to work with it on their legs. Prices are very good for European level surgery. I don't mean surgery is bad in other countries but hospitals are well equipped so in case of any serious problems you know that everything will be done in the state of the art of medicine (in general everything is OK thought specially with good chosen doctors)

Side note: The pins are screwed, you can remove them by yourself but just turning them but don't do it!

About me: I have done around 6.7cm, I have small knee bent, I have ballerina feet, no nerve problem. For my day to day life everything is becoming easier again. Two months later I can't stop in place because I had no balance as I was on the tip of my toes :-( I needed to have amazing posture or to grip to something when I was waiting the subway or talking with friends or colleagues at coffee place. With shoe inserts it's fine. I tried to avoid them to quicken my ballerina feet recovery but I had some muscle tear so I wear them again every day. When I wall more than 1 km I have pain in my lower legs from just above the ankles to the feet which is fading every day. Sometime I have pain in my right ankle at the first 5 steps (arthritis? will it go with time? is it due to ballerina feet? I don't know)

Sanity

any update on ur situation?
post ll:  5'10.5  (+2.25 in)

jackson5

Dear Sanity,
Everything is getting better and better. Still some little ballerina feet (specially left foot) which are fading with time... but slowly :-(. I can run but it's not yet comfortable as I can bent too much my feet due to this *** ballerina feet and a little pain in ankle. To summarize ballerina feet is just the sole thing to fight! I already start to see the benefits of my new heights. I don't want to go into philosophic debates about the place of height in our society and even in animal's societies but all I can tell you is that height definitely matters and height (not toooo tall) has huge benefits which little guys will never have access to!

6'2_dream

friend
has some crazy users who did 7-8cm in the tibias and had problems without speaking that it is very perceptible to have tibias larger than the femures so the femur is indicated for larger, warm values ​​the ideal would be 4-5cm for pacient with femur much long, above this is already problematic for the tendons, if you want to risk such a high try on the femur, the femur accepts 6.5 - 7.5cm, being able to risk 8-9 in some very specific cases where the user has a very high mobility and the partial loss still
leaves him with an acceptable mobility, he has pictures of patients who did 7cm in the tibias and it is very strange the short femurs and that gigantic tibia

8cm tibia   https://imgur.com/a/PHpwZGk

height: 5'10 - 1.78m
wingspan: 6'1-1.85m
dream : 6'1 - 6'2 - 1.85m-1.88m
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up