Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: (Bio-)medical height increase research projects  (Read 8077 times)

Harald Oberlaender

• Visitor
(Bio-)medical height increase research projects
« on: January 16, 2018, 02:28:48 PM »

Hello,

my name is Harald Oberlaender. I am short statured German teacher. Together with some other short statured people from different countries I founded the "Biomedical Growth Research Initiative" (BGRI) in March 2002.

The "Biomedical Growth Research Initiative" is an international initiative of people with various forms of short stature syndrome. Our initiative wants to support biomedical height increase research, so that a safe and effective height increase therapy will be available as soon as possible. You will find additional information concerning the concept of our initiative and the potential of biomedical height increase research on our homepage http://www.growthresearch.org

Our initiative has received three detailed research proposals and one research project idea from worldwide leading biomedical research groups at respected universities. Two research projects are based on tissue engineering, one research project is based on a medical device technology and one research project is based on gene therapy. These research projects could revolutionize the therapy of unwanted short stature in the foreseeable future. But without funding these projects won´t be realized and nothing will change.
So we are looking for a funding source in order to start the proposed research projects (we need about 250.000 dollars to start at least one research project). But without personal contacts to wealthy people this has been very difficult. So everybody, who is interested in supporting our search for interested donators or investors, please e-mail me at harald_oberlaender@hotmail.com
We have an updated standard contact letter, that you could use to contact wealthy (short statured) people in your home town / home country. So really everybody could help.
In fact it is now mainly in our own hands, if and when there will be a safe and effective alternative to classic limb lengthening surgery.

Of course every interested donator or investor will receive the official research proposals and he/she will be able to talk personally with the researchers and visit their laboratories before making a final funding decision.

Every donation or investment would go directly to the researchers. The "Biomedical Growth Research Initiative" doesn´t accept any money (... so we can´t be a scam ;-)

Thank you very much and best wishes
Harald Oberlaender

Carina

• Visitor
Re: (Bio-)medical height increase research projects
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 03:34:48 PM »

My name is Carina, a 46 year old woman from the Netherlands and I can testify that this project has honest intentions because I am a member too. It would be great if we could find more people who want to do some marketing for this initiative

myloginacct

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 04:21:20 PM »

I've always thought that truly short men won't exist in developed countries in the more distant future, mostly due to gene therapy and genetic engineering, but how could these techniques work in already fully grown adults?

Either way, I'm glad to know about the project and that there are people trying to make a joint effort to fund other ways of achieving height increase. Best of luck.

Knik

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 05:12:18 PM »

Interesting project, I will follow you.
Looking for Pili

FDR101

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 05:24:12 PM »

Beware, I remember seeing this exact message years ago on what I believe was the old forum. I can’t remember if the research projects he mentions are the exact same he used years ago, but I remember something with 3 research projects.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:35:11 PM by FDR101 »

Harald Oberlaender

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 05:52:28 PM »

Dear FDR101,

of course I wrote these messages on several discussion boards during the last few years, as we are looking for additional active supportes in order to make the proposed research projects a reality in the foreseeable future.

As I already said: our initiative doesn´t accept any money. Every donation or investment would go directly to the university researchers (and every investor or donator can communicate directly with these researchers and visit their university laboratory). So how can we be a scam???

Best wishes
Harald

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 06:20:13 PM »

Good luck with your initiative, Harald. There will be a lot of people saying your cause is ridiculous, but there are many men and women out there who are unhappy with their height. It's an important cause.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Android

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 06:57:36 PM »

Posted in 2001, has it been five years yet? Joking aside, I think it'll help potential supporters if you could share with us your group's progress. Maybe it's just a case of chicken or the egg, in which no work has done because there's no funding, but it's possible that there's no worthwhile work to fund. I just don't see the right credentials, accolades, progress, or even a promise to merit investment at this time.

Anyone interested can catch up in a thread started in 2006 (and again in 2016) by Harald with the same proposition. Here's an interview from 2013.

Good luck Harald, I hope the best for your endeavors. Wish I could help, but I'm putting that money toward my own legs for now.

And let me leave you with a tip, relating to my last statement: if you want to make money (and in your case, raise funding), you have to solve a problem. The reason why you're not attracting the interest of investors is because people generally do not care about other people's problems, including their struggles with height. If you want people to become genuinely interested, make a list of how heightism affects children, teenagers, and adults. Make them realize the heightism exists and that it's real; they may be blind to it if they're tall themselves. Become an expert in empathy, then reach out to investors with young children. If they're grown, mention their grandchildren. Promise to make their futures brighter, and you'll start to see genuine interest.

People will gladly pay for painkillers, but not vitamins. Be the painkiller.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Harald Oberlaender

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 07:32:21 PM »

Dear Android,

thank you very much for your ideas.
We have written a market analysis for potential investors. In this market analysis we discuss the so called "cosmetic indication" and heightism. Here is the relevant part of our market analysis:

   3.1. Cosmetic indication:
The beauty industry market is considered to be one of the biggest and fastest growing markets worldwide. According to the “Economist” the worldwide market was 160 billion dollars in 2003 with an annual growth rate of up to 7% a year, more than twice the rate of the developed world's GDP (http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=1795852 ). One of the fastest growing segments is cosmetic surgery, already a 20 billion dollar business. The number of cosmetic procedures have increased in America by over 220% since 1997. The fastest growth can be seen with minimally invasive procedures, like e.g. Botox injections with a growth rate of more than 2400% since 1997.

Height distribution:
Adult height for one sex in a particular ethnic group follows more or less a Gaussian distribution (bell curve):

[... I couldn´t copy the picture with the bell curve for this posting ...]

That means: 68% of the observations fall within 1 standard deviation of the mean.
“Out of one hundred men, about 2/3 of them, about 68 %, are between 5'6" and 5'11". About 2/3 of all American men are 5'9" ± 3". About 1/3 of them are outside this range, with about half of those on each side. So, about 1/6 are 6' or taller, and about 1/6 are 5'5" or shorter” (http://investing.calsci.com/statistics.html ). So about 16 % of the population are significantly shorter than the average (that means 3 inches shorter or more). So about 500 million men worldwide can be considered short statured.
Example USA: There are just about 100,000,000 adult men in America. Their average height is 5'9" and the standard deviation is 3". So we can predict how many of these men fall into various height categories (http://investing.calsci.com/statistics.html ):

[... I couldn´t copy the picture with the height categories for this posting ...]

Short stature often has significant social and psychological consequences: 
Several academic studies have proven, that short statured men have fewer opportunities for romantic relationships, have fewer children and on average are paid less. Height hierarchies are established early and persist for a long time. In an excellent article from 1995 the respected newsmagazine “The Economist” cites several academic studies:
“Tall boys are deferred to and seen as mature, short ones ridiculed and seen as childlike. Tall men are seen as natural “leaders”; short ones are called “pushy”. “If a short man is normally assertive, then he's seen as having Napoleonic tendencies”, says David Weeks, a clinical psychologist at Royal Edinburgh Hospital. “If he is introverted and mildly submissive, then he's seen as a wimp.” ...  Turn, for example, to the work of two American psychologists, Leslie Martel and Henry Biller, whose book 'Stature and Stigma' (DC Heath, 1987) is especially useful. Mr Martel and Mr Biller asked several hundred university students to rate the qualities of men of varying heights, on 17 different criteria. Both men and women, whether short or tall, thought that short men - heights between 5´2´´ and 5´5´´ - were less mature, less positive, less secure, less masculine; less successful, less capable, less confident, less outgoing; more inhibited, more timid, more passive; and so on. Other studies confirm that short men are judged, and even judge themselves, negatively. Several surveys have found that short men feel less comfortable in social settings and are less happy with their bodies. Dustin Hoffman, that 5´6´´ actor, is said to have spent years in therapy over his small stature.
The western ideal for men appears to be about 6 ´2´´ (and is slowly rising, as average heights increase). Above that height, the advantages of extra inches peter out, though very tall men do not, apart from hitting their heads, suffer significant disadvantages. And medium-sized men do fine (though they typically will say they would like to be taller, just as women always want to be thinner). The men who suffer are those who are noticeably short: say, 5´5´´ and below. In a man's world, they do not impress. Indeed, the connection between height and status is embedded in the very language. Respected men have 'stature' and are 'looked up to': quite literally, as it turns out.
One of the most elegant height experiments was reported in 1968 by an Australian psychologist, Paul Wilson. He introduced the same unfamiliar man to five groups of students, varying only the status attributed to the stranger. In one class, the newcomer was said to be a student, in another a lecturer, right up to being a professor from Cambridge University. Once the visitor had left the room, each group was asked to estimate the man's height, along with that of the instructor. The results are plotted in the chart above. Not only was the 'professor' thought to be more than two inches taller than the 'student'; the height estimates rose in proportion to his perceived status.” (http://www.shortsupport.org/News/economist_heightism.html )
Additionally height discrimination seems to be a universal constant:
“In Chinese surveys, young women always rate stature high among qualifications for a future mate. Indeed, the prejudice appears to be universal.
In the 1960s and 1970s, Thomas Gregor, an anthropologist at America's Vanderbilt University, lived among the Mehinaku, a tropical forest people of central Brazil who were amazed by such new-fangled gadgets as spectacles. … By many measures - wealth, chieftainship, frequency of participation in rituals - tall men dominate in tribal life. They hog the reproductive opportunities, too. Mr Gregor looked at the number of girlfriends of Mehinaku men of varying heights. He found a pattern: the taller the man, the more girlfriends he had. As he explained, 'the three tallest men had as many affairs as the seven shortest men, even though their average estimated ages were identical.'
He went on to note that the Trobriand Islanders of the Pacific, the Timbira of Brazil, and the Navajo of America were among the many other traditional cultures that also prize male height. 'In no case have I found a preference for short men,' he said. Among anthropologists, it is a truism that in traditional societies the 'big man' actually is big, not just socially but physically.
It is not hard to guess why human beings tend instinctively to defer to height. Humans evolved in an environment where size and strength - and good health, to which they are closely related - mattered, especially for men. Indeed, they still matter, albeit less than they did. Other things being equal, large males are more to be feared and longer-living; an impulse to defer to them, or to prefer them as mates, thus makes good evolutionary sense. Perhaps the impulse is softened in a modern industrial society. But how much? Consider six aspects of a supposedly advanced culture.
Politics. In all but three American presidential elections this century, the taller man has won. By itself this might be a coincidence. And of course some short politicians thrive (examples include France's Francois Mitterrand and Britain's Harold Wilson). But the pattern is still clear, and is also found in:
Business. A survey in 1980 found that more than half the chief executives of America's Fortune 500 companies stood six feet tall or more. As a class, these wekepei were a good 2 inches taller than average; only 3% were peritsi, 5´7´´ or less. Other surveys suggest that about 90% of chief executives are of above-average height. Similarly for:
Professional status. Looking at several professions, one study found that people in high-ranking jobs 'were about two inches taller than those down below, a pattern that held even when comparing men of like educational and socioeconomic status. Senior civil servants in Britain, for instance, tend to be taller than junior ones. Shorter people also have worse:
Jobs. Give job recruiters two invented resumes that have been carefully matched except for the candidates' height, as one study did in 1969. Fully 72% of the time, the taller man is 'hired'. And when they are hired, they tend also to earn rather more:
Money. In 1994 James Sargent and David Blanchflower, of America's Dartmouth College, analyzed a sample of about 6,000 male Britons whose progress was monitored from birth to early adulthood. Short teenaged boys made less money when they became young adults (aged 23) than their taller peers - even after other attributes, such as scores on ability tests or parents' social status, were factored out. For every four inches of height in adolescence, earnings went up more than 2% in early adulthood. Another survey, of graduates of the University of Pittsburgh, found that those who were 62' or taller received starting salaries 12% higher than those under six feet.
Not only do tall people grow richer, rich people grow taller. They enjoy well-nourished childhoods and better health. The stature-success nexus further bolsters the social preference for height. And that preference is expressed in a coin that is even more precious than money, namely:
Sex. Mating opportunities are, at least in evolutionary terms, the ultimate prize of status. And here is the final humiliation for short men. When 100 women were asked to evaluate photographs of men whom they believed to be either tall, average or short, all of them found the tall and medium specimens 'significantly more attractive' than the short ones. In another study, only two of 79 women said they would go on a date with a man shorter than themselves (the rest, on average, wanted to date a man at least 1.7 inches taller). 'The universally acknowledged cardinal rule of dating and mate selection is that the male will be significantly taller than his female partner,' write Mr Martel and Mr Biller. 'This rule is almost inviolable.' For short men, the sexual pickings are therefore likely to be slim” (http://www.shortsupport.org/News/economist_heightism.html ).
Much more information and studies concerning additional aspects of height discrimination can be found e.g. at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heightism   
For most people a harmonic relationship and a satisfying job are the most important factors for self esteem and happiness in life. And these two aspects are severly influenced by height aspects. So a higly significant correlation between psychological problems (like e.g. depression and suicidal tendencies) and short stature could be found (http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/162/7/1373). Taken together these study results prove, that height is one of the most important factors (perhaps even the most important factor) concerning male attractivity. So surely a lot of short statured men would use a safe and effective height increase therapy. Also a lot of medium-sized men would surely use this therapy, as many of them typically say, that they would like to be taller. Most probably also a lot of women would use a safe and effective height increase therapy, as long legs are considered to be the female beauty ideal.
As height discrimination is a worldwide problem, there would be a worldwide market - not only in the USA and Europe, but especially also in Asian countries, where people tend to be shorter (please see e.g. this Time-Asia-article about the boom of limb lengthening surgery in China  http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,187654,00.html ). This article also emphasizes, that there are (unfair) height requirements for several jobs in China: “In a country that has hundreds of qualified applicants for every job, height minimums are one way to whittle down the competition. "You don't have to be tall to be good at computers," says Ma Xiang, a recruiter for a consortium of online companies in Beijing, which requires that female applicants be at least 1.60 m tall (the average height of Chinese women). "But it's one of the ways we can limit the number of [applications] we get."
It has to be added, that official height requirements for special jobs (e.g. policeman/policewoman, fireman, pilot) are also existing in the USA and in European countries.   

FDR101

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 08:39:26 PM »

Hey Harald

I edited my post as it was too judgemental. I realize now you probably have good intentions, but as you’re in this field like anyone else here you know that we are a strong target for scammers in general praying on suffering and desperation.

Is there a chance you could give a brief post about what the status of this project is? I imagine you’ve had difficulty raising the amounts, do you think those same research projects are still relevant or could newer modern projects be more advanced?

A suggestion: a lot of people need this for things like one limb being longer or one limb stopping growth, this may help funding as it’s not just short people wanting to be normal height etc.

Android

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 08:50:57 PM »

A suggestion: a lot of people need this for things like one limb being longer or one limb stopping growth, this may help funding as it’s not just short people wanting to be normal height etc.

Great suggestion. CLL stemmed from existing LL methods after all, needs then wants.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

TIBIKE200

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 08:55:26 PM »

A few links are unreachble so you copy pasted it from who knows when...

Anyway, your essay basically say that short men (5'5 or 165cm and below) are the ones who suffer the most. Especially in the sexual marketplace, although 6'2 is preffered, still most women on all researches found men who are average and up as the most attractive.

What should be taken from your long essay is that if you are a male and are 5'7 or above, you should look into other problems in your looks or character as to why you have such a huge problem with getting women.
I learned some stuff during this time

Harald Oberlaender

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 02:33:06 PM »

Dear FDR 101,

thank you very much for editing your posting. You can be sure, that we have good intentions and that we are a small, but serious group.

Here is the current status of our initiative: In 2008 we were in contact with several well-known biomedical researchers and finally three research groups (in the USA, Canada and Hong Kong) wrote an official research proposal for us. They said, that they may be interested to use their technology platform (e.g. tissue engineering) for the indication "bone lengthening and height increase", if we gave them the necessary funds. In 2012 we received another very interesting research project idea from a German researcher concerning a gene therapy approach for height increase. After we received the research proposals we have tried to find a funding source in order to start the proposed research projects. We have contacted several venture capital companies, but most of them were not interested in the indication "height increase" and for the remaining companies the research projects were at a too early stage. Most venture capital companies prefer later-stage-projects. Additionally venture capital companies want a business plan concerning a biotech start-up company. But the proposed research projects would be done at a university for probably another 2 or 3 years. After that time a biotech start-up company would be a realistic option. As venture capital companies were not interested we started to look for business angels, plastic surgery clinics and other wealthy (short statured) people, that may have an interest to fund innovative height increase research projects. We have been in contact with some so called investors during the last few years, who promissed, that they would have the necessary funds, but unfortunately they couldn´t fulfill their promisses (I still ask myself, what the motivation of these so called investors was). Unfortunately the researchers were very disappointed after we sent them several unserious investors and they have become sceptical concerning our initiative. So we have to be very careful concerning possible donators or investors in the future. Only if we find a donator or an investor, who can prove 100%, that he has the financial power to fund research projects, we will make a contact with the researchers again. I am not sure, if all the researchers are still interested in starting the proposed research projects, but I would have some ideas concerning other research groups, who may be interested in using their research platform for the indication "height increase research". So the main problem is still the funding source. If we find a funding source, we will surely find interested research groups ("old" and maybe new research groups). More than 10 years ago there were great ideas concerning a biomedical approach for height increase and now there could be even better ideas, as e.g. bone tissue engineering has made great progress since that time.

But we urgently need additional active supporters in order to succeeed in the foreseeable future. We are currently only four active "Biomedical Growth Research Initiative" (BGRI) - members, two from Germany, one from the Netherlands and one from Spain. Additional active members from anywhere in the world would be great. We have a standard contact letter, which you could use to contact business angels or other wealthy people in your home town / home country. So it is really very easy to help us. You only need some time and a little bit motivation to search for relevant contact addresses. We would really appreciate every support!

I still believe, that modern biomedical research has the potential to create a safe and effective height increase therapy with much more advantages compared to current limb lengthening surgery.

Thank you very much and best wishes
Harald   

myloginacct

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 03:12:38 PM »

Can you tell me more about the approach the German researcher suggested with gene therapy?

And while biomedical technology has made great strides in the last decade, I can't see anything seriously replacing CLL for at least another 25~50 years. If anything, maybe the efforts should be towards funding safer technology for distraction osteogenesis and novel approaches to it. Still, as I mentioned before, I'm glad there are people concerned with trying to fund new research around the subject. Funding for scientific research can really struggle in our world if it's a niche topic.

The Dreamer

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 04:03:13 PM »

I think that the biggest problem is that the majority of people would invest great sums of money only if they would sure that those projects will be realized immediately,or better in short term.Instead research often requires decades or more and even if it will be successful,at that time they will be too old and it would be useless for them
It is the harsh truth
People prefer to save funds for LL which actually is the only concrete and fast solution
Maybe it would be better asking to every short person to donate small ammounts(like 5€),take 100.000 of them and you have already raised 500.000€
In my opinion it would be very difficult to find big investitors
●Do LL but do not let it obsess you

The Dreamer

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 04:13:20 PM »

Here on forum we are 3790 members
Let's say 3000 excluding multiple and inactive accounts.
If any member of those 3000 would donate 100€,there will be raised 300.000€ which is a great sum
It is not difficult to donate 100€ considering that each member is considering to pay more than 10.000€ on average for LL
But there should be a system that ensure everyone of us has donated,a kind of social contract
It is not easy,but also not impossible

Harald Oberlaender

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 05:23:00 PM »

Dear myloginacct,
unfortunately I am not allowed to reveal further details about the research projects in the internet. I had to sign strict confidentiality agreements. But if you e-mail me and also sign a confidentiality agreement, I could tell you more.

Dear The Dreamer,
thank you very much for your idea. Unfortunately we are not allowed to reveal more concrete details to the general public. But donators would of course want to know concrete details before they would donate some money. So we can´t start a small donations project. Our only hope is currently in fact a business angel, a wealthy short statured individual or a venture capital fund with interest in early stage projects. We could forward the research proposals to these people, if they also sign a confidentiality agreement.
The proposed research projects would start with animal trials. If all goes well, human trials could start within 3-4 years after the start of the research project.

Best wishes
Harald

myloginacct

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 06:58:05 PM »

I'm tempted; I can't even imagine anything working after the growth plates have already closed, and we are still very far off from growing biocompatible legs in laboratories. The theoretical framework for the projects should be interesting.

The Dreamer

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 07:21:54 PM »

Dear The Dreamer,
thank you very much for your idea. Unfortunately we are not allowed to reveal more concrete details to the general public. But donators would of course want to know concrete details before they would donate some money. So we can´t start a small donations project. Our only hope is currently in fact a business angel, a wealthy short statured individual or a venture capital fund with interest in early stage projects. We could forward the research proposals to these people, if they also sign a confidentiality agreement.
Best wishes
Harald
Well then,sir Harald,I fear that you will have to wait a lot.There is a reason why from 2002 you didn't manage to achieve funds.It's not easy to find a rich short person willing to donate huge sums for a project that maybe will find an alternative to LL in an unknown future.
And I don't think small donators (for example 100€) would pretend to have huge ammounts of informations
However good luck

FDR101

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 12:07:45 PM »

Hey Harald, first of all thank you for not giving up even after all these years. If you actually manage to succeed one day you will change humanity forever, so it’s a great task.

I believe that Dreamer is right here. Is there any way you could change your approach, so it targets smaller funding but from a bigger community?

Lets say you have a subsection on this forum or a reddit subsection where you can keep the community updated / explain the different projects and have an active discussion area.

I know from reading your posts that you’re not allowed to reveal much due to contracts you signed. However, finding a way around this to make it community driven  would be a better solution than trying to find a few wealthy short stature guys or venture capitalists.

Once the community grows more people join in. As dreamer said 3-5000 people who donate 100€ on average is 300-500,000 €.

Also as I wrote in my previous post, I suggest you angle the whole project a bit different. Right now it seems that the project is only about making people taller. But a lot of medical patients right now are forced to use painfull and expensive  lengthening methods which could be spared if growth could be reactivated. Better tissue engineering in general could lead us a lot of new places in the medical world, maybe fighting cancer too. This will probably sell better than simply “Grown men want a few more inches of height”

Body Builder

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 01:16:57 PM »

Anything else fot geting taller except from LL is tenths of years ahead from present and none of us would live (or be in an age that height will make any difference to us to be more exact) to do it.
Only gene therapy to infants is something that can be done, for grown adults like all of us here believing that there will be something that can change out heights by making our bodies start growing again is completely utopic.

So all these researches, especially when they are so expensive, won't benefit any short man.
Better is to do a research to have sooner a full weight bearing internal nail with high reliability so as to walk unaided only a few days after surgery.
Any short adult should not wait for anything more than that for the next 20-30 years.

Harald Oberlaender

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 05:10:45 PM »

Dear The Dreamer and FDR 101,

I am very sceptical, that a large community would be interested in donating 100 dollars. I have been talking about this project for many years and currently only three other people support me actively. Probably it will be even more difficult to find people, who want to invest money, not time.
Nevertheless: if at least 20 people on this message board would be interested in donating about 100 dollars, I will try to find a new research project, that can publish some details in the internet.
SO EVERYBODY, WHO MAY BE INTERESTED IN SUPPORTING INNOVATIVE HEIGHT INCREASE RESEARCH PROJECTS WITH A SMALL DONATION, PLEASE WRITE A SHORT MESSAGE IN THIS POSTING.

As I already said: I think, that there are several new researchers, that may be interested in using their technology platform for the indication "bone lengthening and height increase". And maybe I find a researchers, that doesn´t want to protect his ideas with confidentiality agreements. Of course the money must be given directly to the researcher. The "Biomedical Growth Research Initiative" still won´t accept small donations. This is the best way to prove, that we are a serious project and no scam.

Best regards and thank you very much for your ideas
Harald 

The Dreamer

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 06:45:38 PM »

Anything else fot geting taller except from LL is tenths of years ahead from present and none of us would live (or be in an age that height will make any difference to us to be more exact) to do it.
How do you know that ? With a finaciament of 300.000€ research can make a lot of progress
It could be the starting of a new era,the crowdfunding of people wanting to solve the problem of short stature
If the first crowdfunding goes well,there will be soon multiples
It worths trying this,what we have to loose ?
What's wrong Bodybuilder,afraid of loosing 100 € ?

Body Builder

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 01:07:12 AM »

How do you know that ? With a finaciament of 300.000€ research can make a lot of progress
It could be the starting of a new era,the crowdfunding of people wanting to solve the problem of short stature
If the first crowdfunding goes well,there will be soon multiples
It worths trying this,what we have to loose ?
What's wrong Bodybuilder,afraid of loosing 100 € ?
No.
I am just a realist. 300.000 is a tiny amount for having a great medical progress and making adults to grow taller again with anything else than LL is waaaay distant.
Doctors haven't even produced artificial hearts or livers etc to dontransplants and save lives, do you think that with a few thousand of dollars could make people grow up again?
This is evem harder!

Anyway all these are really futile.
The only way to become taller is LL and with full weight bearing internal nails things will become better than ever. This is enough for me and the only real solution for at least the next 20-30 years.
If someone wants to wait for new research and become taller non invasively it is his choice. But no, I won't give money for something so distant. In aboutb2 years I'll do my second LL and I don't care what will be done in the future as I would be too old to care.
I care about my present.

littlerichard

• Visitor
  • Banned: Bander72 Mutiple Accounts
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 02:05:49 AM »

Bodybuilder you are right that we cant put all our eggs in his research. Doing the surgery should be the main focus in this quest to gain height. But 100$ is insignificant so if someone wants to donate it, then they are not losing anything with doing that. We don't know what besides surgery could make a adult taller, the answer might be more simplistic than we imagine, and any research going into providing a alternate solution is a worthwhile endeavor.

myloginacct

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 05:55:15 AM »

Double leg transplantation was done for the first time in 2011, in Spain. However, the patient had to take immunosuppressant drugs for the rest of his life to be able to keep the legs, due to biological rejection. Eventually, he got a serious enough disease that forced him to stop taking the drugs and also to amputate his legs again. Currently, we can barely grow a functional organ in vitro. Maybe people who want to be taller (or shorter) will just grow new legs and transplant them onto themselves 300 years from now; who knows. It's just not something that can feasibly happen in our lifetimes.

As for gene therapy, I'm more hopeful, but not for myself. I can see it happening to children in my lifetime. Short parents won't be forced to have short sons if they wait enough.

At the end of the day, Harald, only you and a few other persons know the details to those research projects. Only you can tell whether those projects seem promising or if they're just scientists interested in trying out something new, but with very low chances of amounting to something. Not that I don't support investing in niche or unconventional scientific research - I'm just saying.

Android

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 06:19:39 AM »

If we really want to help everyone be taller, maybe we first need to tackle bigger problems like malnutrition, which has an immediate impact in addition to increasing height over time. For the time being I'll get CLL, consider growth hormone therapy for my hypothetical children, and donate for access to clean water.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 10:19:18 AM »

If we really want to help everyone be taller, maybe we first need to tackle bigger problems like malnutrition, which has an immediate impact in addition to increasing height over time. For the time being I'll get CLL, consider growth hormone therapy for my hypothetical children, and donate for access to clean water.

People who are short relative to their population will always exist, no matter if we have solved malnutrition or not. Height distribution works on a bell curve, so there will always be people below average height. Even if the average height rises to 190 cm, there will be people who are "only" 175 or so and experience discrimination, low self-esteem, etc.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

The Dreamer

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 11:21:22 AM »

Is this a joke ? Height is almost all due to genetic,malnutrition can take away max 1 cm,not more
If your relative are shorts,you will be short even if you will have the best nutrition in the world
I can't believe there are people willing to pay 10.000€+ for a procedure like LL but not donating 100€ for a future hope

Auron

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 01:45:45 PM »

Is this a joke ? Height is almost all due to genetic,malnutrition can take away max 1 cm,not more
What a load of crap. I wish people would stop talking about something that they have no idea of.

Knik

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 02:09:04 PM »

Malnutrition is clearly not a problem in the USA. If you are in middle class you can give to your child a decent nutrition, no excuse. Also somalian people are not short. Probably a good genetic.

For hormone therapy, it's seems that people here think it's easy and without any risks. If you're child have no problems, he will not magically win 20 cm. You're dreaming. If you are a 5'4 father you can still have tall children, genetic is strange and fascinating. But here you should ask a specialist.
You should read medical studies about it to be convinced it's not a magic potion. And results are not sure. I saw here some people say that the therapy would bring a 5'5 child to a 6ft tall. He is dreaming.
Looking for Pili
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up