Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian - Los Angeles  (Read 32568 times)

Mars

• Visitor
Re: Internal Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian - Los Angeles
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2018, 12:29:05 PM »

Yes,  it has been discussed before in a couple of previous posts, and now proven (to me) by my lengthening and actual measured height.

I might do that in a few days, or PM you.  I had short femurs and longish arms so my proportions weren't much of a concern to me.  However, currently my tibias are around 16" and femurs almost 19".  I believe this puts me in a 44/54(ish) category of normal proportions (with longer femurs).

I can tell you that for my body type.  I look way better now that before with longer legs.

There's no need to guess about what your actual height gain will be. The angle of your femur is about 10 degrees, and since you want to lengthen 7 cm, use the following formula: 7cm x cos(10) = 6.894 cm. You only lose 1 mm, so it's negligible. If you lengthen less than that, you'll lose even less than 1 mm.

Tiger9898

« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2018, 12:53:32 PM »

Yes,  it has been discussed before in a couple of previous posts, and now proven (to me) by my lengthening and actual measured height.

I might do that in a few days, or PM you.  I had short femurs and longish arms so my proportions weren't much of a concern to me.  However, currently my tibias are around 16" and femurs almost 19".  I believe this puts me in a 44/54(ish) category of normal proportions (with longer femurs).

I can tell you that for my body type.  I look way better now that before with longer legs.

That should be really advantage, your tibia femur ratio will be nearly perfect after 7 cm I think
Age-19
Starting height: 162,5-163 cm (5 feet 4 inches)
Goal: 6,5 cm femur lengthening

Tiger9898

« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2018, 12:56:02 PM »

There's no need to guess about what your actual height gain will be. The angle of your femur is about 10 degrees, and since you want to lengthen 7 cm, use the following formula: 7cm x cos(10) = 6.894 cm. You only lose 1 mm, so it's negligible. If you lengthen less than that, you'll lose even less than 1 mm.
Didn't know about that, thanks for clarification)
Age-19
Starting height: 162,5-163 cm (5 feet 4 inches)
Goal: 6,5 cm femur lengthening

FormerKidd

« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2018, 03:18:02 AM »

I'm guessing you should be reaching 7cm about now, right?  Curious to hear how quickly you start to feel better after stopping the lengthening.

LAGrowin

« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2018, 04:29:56 AM »

I'm guessing you should be reaching 7cm about now, right?  Curious to hear how quickly you start to feel better after stopping the lengthening.

Hi FormerKidd ,  yes , I'm hitting 7 CM tomorrow 4/06/18 and stopping!  I can wait to see how I feel either after the lengthening stops.

I'll report back.  Thanks.

myloginacct

« Reply #129 on: April 07, 2018, 02:37:05 AM »

Hi FormerKidd ,  yes , I'm hitting 7 CM tomorrow 4/06/18 and stopping!  I can wait to see how I feel either after the lengthening stops.

I'll report back.  Thanks.

Oh wow, great news. Seems like it all went by so fast for those of us who were not actually doing the CLL!

Keep us posted, and I'm wishing for the best, LA.

LAGrowin

« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2018, 04:50:23 AM »

Oh wow, great news. Seems like it all went by so fast for those of us who were not actually doing the CLL!

Keep us posted, and I'm wishing for the best, LA.

Thank you myloginacct. Much appreciate it.  I have one more .33 turn at the machine in about 2 hours, and I am done.     7 CM!!   

My legs are super tight and knees have been hurting tremendously but all is good otherwise. Can't wait to feel my legs relax a little.

bigdreams55

« Reply #131 on: April 07, 2018, 10:23:43 AM »

Thank you myloginacct. Much appreciate it.  I have one more .33 turn at the machine in about 2 hours, and I am done.     7 CM!!   

My legs are super tight and knees have been hurting tremendously but all is good otherwise. Can't wait to feel my legs relax a little.

Congrats on hitting 7 cm! I recall for me, I couldn't straighten my knee at the end, can you? No worries if you can't, it should come back in a week after you complete lengthening. The pain fades quick, for me, it was less than 3 days. You should be able to sleep restfully a day after too!

All the best my friend! The hardest part is over.

LAGrowin

« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2018, 09:00:54 PM »

Congrats on hitting 7 cm! I recall for me, I couldn't straighten my knee at the end, can you? No worries if you can't, it should come back in a week after you complete lengthening. The pain fades quick, for me, it was less than 3 days. You should be able to sleep restfully a day after too!

All the best my friend! The hardest part is over.

Thank you bigdreams55.  I am happy to be done.  I am also content with the amount, 2.75" or 7CM. My knees definitely hurt, especially at night with little movement.  My right knee is a little raised while my left is a little flatter.  My right hamstring is also super tight.

I feel like a lot of my pain (upon moving), is in the hips and groin area.

I hope I can say the same after a week. It gives me such hope.

I want to hear you're walking unaided!   Thank you !

Optimistic1

« Reply #133 on: April 07, 2018, 11:12:11 PM »

Congrats LAGrowin. It seems like yesterday when we were talking about your upcoming surgery. Now, you're done and on your way to recovery. 7 cm is a respectable gain and 5'9 is a good height. With lift, you'll be average height. It must feel good and I'm happy for you. I hope all your pain will go away soon now that you're done distracting. Are you planning on removing the rods in one year? I heard there's really no time limit but 1-2 years is the ideal time. Congrats again.

Optimistic1

myloginacct

« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2018, 09:38:44 PM »

Congrats on reaching average male height in the US!

Let us know with updates deeper down the road how this whole surgery changed your daily life and view of the world!

jjh770812

• Visitor
« Reply #135 on: April 12, 2018, 07:15:45 AM »

hey friend, i come from taiwan
so how much total you paid??
may i ask ?

LAGrowin

« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2018, 08:51:42 PM »

Congrats LAGrowin. It seems like yesterday when we were talking about your upcoming surgery. Now, you're done and on your way to recovery. 7 cm is a respectable gain and 5'9 is a good height. With lift, you'll be average height. It must feel good and I'm happy for you. I hope all your pain will go away soon now that you're done distracting. Are you planning on removing the rods in one year? I heard there's really no time limit but 1-2 years is the ideal time. Congrats again.

Optimistic1

Hi Optimistic1 ,  I truly hope that you're better and that recovery starts to get easier soon.  Yes, time flies ,  we spoke in December 2017 and we were both nervous about it.

Thank you for your wishes. I appreciate it.  Feel free to call me when you can. Anytime.

The legs still feel tight now almost a week after the end of distraction, but I can tell that they are slowly getting better. The knees don't feel as bad anymore.

I am happy with 5'9" , it seems almost any shoe I put on is putting me at almost 5'10" I don't feel a need for any lift.   I feel I will be perfectly happy right where I'm at. The lost weight also makes me appear taller.

As for the rods, my plan is to remove them right after next summer, or possibly before the summer. It will be about 14-18 months post surgery.

Keep us posted on your progress.  Wishing you the best also.

LAGrowin

« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2018, 08:53:46 PM »

Congrats on reaching average male height in the US!

Let us know with updates deeper down the road how this whole surgery changed your daily life and view of the world!

Hi my loginacct.  Thank you.  I am very happy. Can't wait to walk and get back to life.

I hope to not go away.  I will post an update shortly, and then hope to stay around to discuss life after LL.

LAGrowin

« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2018, 08:56:12 PM »

hey friend, i come from taiwan
so how much total you paid??
may i ask ?

Hello,

Total cost for me (NOT including any hotel as I am local), was $75,000, that is doctor, hospital, medicine, anesthesia, physical therapy.

I am very happy.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:40:02 PM by LAGrowin »

LAGrowin

« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2018, 05:07:05 PM »

UPDATE - Finished Lengthening on 4/6/18 !!

It has been just over 1 week since my last lengthening. I hit 7 cm. As I noted in recent replies, my legs were still very tight and knees were hurting. It seemed like this wasn't going to get better.  This has finally started to go away significantly, and my legs are feeling much better. The last few days have been good.

MEDS

I stopped taking the Norco about 3 days ago and have been fine without it. I am taking over the counter Zzzquyl as a sleep aid. 

I am still taking calcium, vitamin D, and silica, as supplements.

PHYSICAL THERAPY

I will continue physical therapy 3x per week with Dr. Mahboubian's therapist, and also continue to stretch at home.  I will also hit the pool a little harder.

WALKING

I saw Dr. M last week and he told me that everything looked good, bone growth on both legs is about on par. My next appointment is on 5/15/18 at which point Dr. M feels I might be cleared to walk unassisted.  So these next few weeks will be key to making that happen.  I will be pretty much getting rid of the wheelchair and just use the walker for everything. This will help ease into the walking and of course help with quicker consolidation.

Still have no regrets, and am happy I did this. Thank God all has gone quite well for me. Easy no, but it was expected. Thank you all for reading.   

Android

« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2018, 05:17:52 PM »

Awesome stuff, glad that the pain is fading away. You're nearly there!
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

LAGrowin

« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2018, 02:08:09 AM »

Awesome stuff, glad that the pain is fading away. You're nearly there!

Thank you Android.  Almost.  Can't believe I'm so close.

Now that I'm feeling more comfortable and with less pain, we can plan on getting together soon.

Purushrottam

« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2018, 03:02:13 AM »

UPDATE - Finished Lengthening on 4/6/18 !!

It has been just over 1 week since my last lengthening. I hit 7 cm. As I noted in recent replies, my legs were still very tight and knees were hurting. It seemed like this wasn't going to get better.  This has finally started to go away significantly, and my legs are feeling much better. The last few days have been good.

MEDS

I stopped taking the Norco about 3 days ago and have been fine without it. I am taking over the counter Zzzquyl as a sleep aid. 

I am still taking calcium, vitamin D, and silica, as supplements.

PHYSICAL THERAPY

I will continue physical therapy 3x per week with Dr. Mahboubian's therapist, and also continue to stretch at home.  I will also hit the pool a little harder.

WALKING

I saw Dr. M last week and he told me that everything looked good, bone growth on both legs is about on par. My next appointment is on 5/15/18 at which point Dr. M feels I might be cleared to walk unassisted.  So these next few weeks will be key to making that happen.  I will be pretty much getting rid of the wheelchair and just use the walker for everything. This will help ease into the walking and of course help with quicker consolidation.

Still have no regrets, and am happy I did this. Thank God all has gone quite well for me. Easy no, but it was expected. Thank you all for reading.

Wow. What a journey. Walking by 5/15? Good job. You made it past the hardest pa.
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

LAGrowin

« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2018, 05:14:41 AM »

Wow. What a journey. Walking by 5/15? Good job. You made it past the hardest pa.

Thank you Purushrottam.  God willing so.  It will me more like waddling I'm sure, but hopefully it will be unassisted.

Yes the hardest part is over now.  I appreciate your diary and all of the information you shared with us along your journey and still do.

Hopefully your incredible recovery continues as well.   All the best Purushrottam!

MirinHeight

« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2018, 02:24:17 PM »

Thank you Purushrottam.  God willing so.  It will me more like waddling I'm sure, but hopefully it will be unassisted.

Yes the hardest part is over now.  I appreciate your diary and all of the information you shared with us along your journey and still do.

Hopefully your incredible recovery continues as well.   All the best Purushrottam!

hey LA growin, I am glad everything is going good. I am happy for you man.

I just had a general question. When you agreed to have surgery with Dr. Mahboubian, how long did the process take of getting your blood work in and getting insurance verified, etc. How many weeks were in between your consultation and the surgery date? I know this might be different for every pt, but I am trying to get an idea of when I should have my consultation and if there is any delay in filing for your surgery due to a busy surgery schedule for Dr. M.  To get a general sense of the timing, because i would like to have my surgery within a couple of weeks after consultation.

currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

LAGrowin

« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2018, 05:01:55 PM »

Hi MirinHeight,

Thank you,  I appreciate that.

I had my consultation about 5 months before surgery with Dr. M.  It was a matter of trying to decide on timing for me. But I called the office in early December 2017 to schedule surgery for mid January 2018.

Dr. Mahboubian is a busy surgeon with other non cosmetic surgeries as well, so he does book up.  I would say to have your consultation and immediately ask about booking a surgery date, if you opt to have surgery with him.

You can also call the office and ask for Esmie. She can pretty much tell you what his surgery schedule is like by phone.

Hope this helps.

MirinHeight

« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2018, 07:22:05 PM »

Hi MirinHeight,

Thank you,  I appreciate that.

I had my consultation about 5 months before surgery with Dr. M.  It was a matter of trying to decide on timing for me. But I called the office in early December 2017 to schedule surgery for mid January 2018.

Dr. Mahboubian is a busy surgeon with other non cosmetic surgeries as well, so he does book up.  I would say to have your consultation and immediately ask about booking a surgery date, if you opt to have surgery with him.

You can also call the office and ask for Esmie. She can pretty much tell you what his surgery schedule is like by phone.

Hope this helps.

wow, thanks for the response man. That helps a lot!
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

Constantine

« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2018, 07:39:03 PM »

Hey LA,

i wish you a good consolidation!
How you feel now day by day? Do you have wide legs and duckass?

LAGrowin

« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2018, 11:04:27 PM »

Hey LA,

i wish you a good consolidation!
How you feel now day by day? Do you have wide legs and duckass?

Hello Constantine.  Hope you're well also and that lengthening continues to progress without issue.  I've been following your diary as well with Dr. Betz.

I am feeling better day by day now.  I was still very tight the first 5-6 days after my last lengthening, but now my legs have loosened up,  my knees don't hurt anymore. Luckily I didn't deal with wide legs or much duckass.  I have a little bit of duckass due to my right leg (hamstring) is still a little tight, but it's hardly noticeable.  My PT says it will be gone by the time I walk.

How many CM are you at now?

Constantine

« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2018, 07:10:40 AM »

Hello Constantine.  Hope you're well also and that lengthening continues to progress without issue.  I've been following your diary as well with Dr. Betz.

I am feeling better day by day now.  I was still very tight the first 5-6 days after my last lengthening, but now my legs have loosened up,  my knees don't hurt anymore. Luckily I didn't deal with wide legs or much duckass.  I have a little bit of duckass due to my right leg (hamstring) is still a little tight, but it's hardly noticeable.  My PT says it will be gone by the time I walk.

How many CM are you at now?

Nice to hear that it is going well for you. You’re so lucky that you don’t have wide legs and duckass:)
Keep us updated .

I am 6cm now .

LAGrowin

« Reply #150 on: April 21, 2018, 01:16:09 AM »

Nice to hear that it is going well for you. You’re so lucky that you don’t have wide legs and duckass:)
Keep us updated .

I am 6cm now .

Thank you.  I will.

You're almost there!  So close.  Keep us posted also.  Have you decided where you'll stop now?

Constantine

« Reply #151 on: April 21, 2018, 07:10:29 AM »

Thank you.  I will.

You're almost there!  So close.  Keep us posted also.  Have you decided where you'll stop now?

I am still not sure, it depends how my body will react. At this moment I am feeling that I can go more than 8cm easily. But my next goal is 7cm :)

LAGrowin

« Reply #152 on: May 15, 2018, 01:41:35 AM »

UPDATE

I am feeling a million times better now.  I am 5 weeks post lengthening and will be seeing Dr. Mahboubian tomorrow to hopefully be cleared to walk/weight bear.  We will see.

I am about to hit 4 months post op.

The tightness has subsided by 90%, knee pains are mostly gone, sleep is back to normal, and I am off all meds.

Although my posture is not 100% yet, the new height at 5'9" (1.75m) feels amazing to me.  While out and about I'm pretty much at 5'10" with shoes.

I hope to report back that I have been cleared to walk this week.

Thank you all for following my diary.

At this point I am still happy with what I have done,  it has been a long road, there is more to come, but I am happy with the surgery and with Dr. Mahboubian. No regrets thank God.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 02:34:49 AM by LAGrowin »

Petite888

« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2018, 06:00:55 AM »

Amazing! Thank you for the updates and good luck!

LAGrowin

« Reply #154 on: May 15, 2018, 07:16:39 PM »

Amazing! Thank you for the updates and good luck!

Thank you Petite888!  I appreciate it.

Love the handle name by the way, 888!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up