Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stryde update: " ....right after surgery you can start weight bearing....."  (Read 4587 times)

Honore

See http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=5507.0 for background..

Stryde update: " ....right after surgery you can start weight bearing....."

A couple questions for those who did LL with precise 2/Generic IM nail... Can you see yourself walking unaided 3 weeks after your surgery? What was your mobility after 3 weeks? Would this really mean a huge difference?

Thanks to Stadiometer, Esq for the original post

short2tall

Yes, I think I would've been able to walk unaided 3 weeks post-op if my nails were full weight bearing. With the Stryde you would theoretically be able to weight bear immediately after surgery, but your muscles feel very weak for the first few weeks. The incisions for the placements of the screws and the insertion point go through the muscle I believe, so that's what makes it very difficult to move right after surgery. For the first few days I could barely move my legs on my own, I had to use my hands and lift my legs up to move them. However the feeling and motor skills return quickly.
Bilateral femurs with Dr. M on March 1st
Starting height: 5'8.5"
Shooting for 5'11"

Honore

Thank you short2tall. A friend of mine had a nose/eye-job done a few years ago and I remember he was bedridden for a week. That's why I couldn't imagine, with or without weight-bearing, there's a lot of "walking" to be done the first week

FormerKidd

A couple questions for those who did LL with precise 2/Generic IM nail... Can you see yourself walking unaided 3 weeks after your surgery? What was your mobility after 3 weeks? Would this really mean a huge difference?
With the Precise 2.2, my legs felt like dead weight for at least a couple weeks after.  I would have to lift them up with my hands to get them into cars, .etc.

Penguinn

The Precice 2 is NOT full weight bearing. You will use a walker and then crutches
Don't even think about walking unaided in 3 weeks. Most people take about 6 months to start their awkward unaided infant walk
That said I don't regret going with this nail because of some capabilities it had and while doing LL, I had become a complete monk and disassociated myself from everyone else. I had no major purpose for walking unaided in the early months other than boosting bone growth.

Honore

@FormerKidd.. thanks, that's what I figured will happen the first weeks

@Penguinn: thanks, I was referring to stryde when talking about weight-bearing. But you proof my point. If stryde is fully weight-bearing from day 1(or after 3 weeks), but the first weeks(or even months) you can hardly move...what IS the added value of weight-bearing?

Johnson1111

...what IS the added value of weight-bearing?

Extra 5000 USD for people who sell it

short2tall

@Penguinn: thanks, I was referring to stryde when talking about weight-bearing. But you proof my point. If stryde is fully weight-bearing from day 1(or after 3 weeks), but the first weeks(or even months) you can hardly move...what IS the added value of weight-bearing?

The added value is that it is weight bearing. Precice 2 is not. You will not have to spend 3 months in a wheelchair, you will be able to walk as soon as you've recovered from the initial surgery.
Bilateral femurs with Dr. M on March 1st
Starting height: 5'8.5"
Shooting for 5'11"

ZUCC420

The added value is that it is weight bearing. Precice 2 is not. You will not have to spend 3 months in a wheelchair, you will be able to walk as soon as you've recovered from the initial surgery.

Basically if your initial surgery isn't too invasive you should get the stryde otherwise your just wasting money since you wouldn't be able to walk anyway for a few months?
Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods. And the one man that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and fool. - Plato

A man can do what he wants, but not want what he wants. - Arthur Schopenhauer

:Captain America:

That is true.

Body Builder

The added value is that with Stryde you'll be able to walk about 1 month after opetation while with precise 2 you won't walk, even with walker, at least 4-5 months after surgery.
And completely unaided, at least 6-7 months after surgery for about 7cm lengthening.

So the difference between unaided walking is about 6 months for 7-8 cm which is huge.
Stryde, if it is really fully weight bearing as nuvasice says, is the peak of LL and a true revolution.
I doubt if something so revolutionary as that will come to market even in 20 years from now.
So in a few words, LL may never become easier, at least with distractial osteogenesis method.

FormerKidd

Basically if your initial surgery isn't too invasive you should get the stryde otherwise your just wasting money since you wouldn't be able to walk anyway for a few months?
About a month after my surgery, I started doing hydrotherapy and walking in water.  It took a little bit of time to get it down, especially since I couldn't go to the pool on a daily basis, but I imagine if I could walk whenever, it could come back quicker.

The added value is that with Stryde you'll be able to walk about 1 month after opetation while with precise 2 you won't walk, even with walker, at least 4-5 months after surgery.
And completely unaided, at least 6-7 months after surgery for about 7cm lengthening.
This doesn't sound right to me at all.

I was using the walker about a week after surgery - but honestly a lot of that movement was via my upper body.  And Puru (another Paley patient who posted a diary here) did 6.5cm and was able to walk after 3.5 to 4 months, it's looking like I'll be in a similar boat.

Of course, both of us did femurs only.  Tibias and quadrilaterals are much tougher, I think.

Penguinn

So the difference between unaided walking is about 6 months for 7-8 cm which is huge.

Actually, I walked baby steps with a walker a few days after my surgery but mostly just did standing. Some Precice 2 patients on this forum did walk with a walker during their lengthening months I think, I personally did not.

I think for me it was something like
0-3 months: standing with a walker
3-6 months: walker
6-7 months: crutches
7-8 months: partial crutches/unaided
8 months onward: unaided, slight limp and sometimes walking stick (for the left; because my right was well healed and left was lagging)
10 months post-op: Unaided with a proper, normal gait

Two things worth mentioning:
-my left leg was operated twice due to a faulty Precice 2 nail, so had that not happened I would've probably walked unaided and with a good gait around 7-8 months post-op.
-returning to your old self takes way longer than it takes to get a good gait. Even after your gait is good enough for people to not suspect anything, you won't feel normal. You'll look 100% before you feel 100%. Agility and quick turning, instantly sitting and getting up etc takes time. I've felt normal for a long time now, say 95% of my old self, but the last 5% is a slow recovery. I'm good enough to jog or cycle etc, but not good enough to play football without suk a$$ at it yet. Beautiful thing is I'm still recovering, so I have a feeling eventually I'll have a flawless recovery. I'd define a "flawless recovery" as "playing intensive sports without having any problems that a non-LLer would not have".

tl;dr if you want to do LL, you HAVE to be in it for the long haul

fokid

agreed. but stryde if as good as claimed is ground breaking. it lets you not forget how to walk which is a BIG deal. 3 months of not walking on precice 2 would cause too much muscle atrophy. physically and psychologically you never hit rock bottom. it is like you have an annoying injury for 3-4 months, not a completely crippling one.

Honore

@penguin .. thanks, very enlightening timeline, but almost 2 years(sept) and you are still at 95%? How come a member here(paley patient) is already jogging, bench pressing, traveling, dancing, dating... Nevermind.. I don't believe a word he is writing anyway

@body builder .. thanks, hope the revolution is true.. what about that synoste from Finland..also full weight bearing promise

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
Yes, you're weight bearing right after the surgery
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 08:48:54 PM »

agreed. but stryde if as good as claimed is ground breaking. it lets you not forget how to walk which is a BIG deal. 3 months of not walking on precice 2 would cause too much muscle atrophy. physically and psychologically you never hit rock bottom. it is like you have an annoying injury for 3-4 months, not a completely crippling one.

Exactly. STRYDE is a quantum leap from PRECICE. The STRYDE patient I met is walking with crutches 2 weeks post op (femurs). I had my femurs done 2 months ago, and I'll need another 2 months to even be weight bearing, let alone walk. During these first two months, I lost 20lbs (mostly muscle, including from my upper body - bicep circumference down by 2cm), got apathetic, depressed and essentially isolated in a hotel room, limited by a wheelchair (see why).

Paying $5k on top of $90k to not be a disabled cripple for 6 months is a no-brainer.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

Honore

Well sir OYG... no answer can beat that! Stryde it is then... thank you for your suffering
Pages: [1]   Go Up