Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: My Femur Stryde LL (with Dr. Debiparshad) diary  (Read 13558 times)

verticalpush

Re: My Femur Stryde LL (with Dr. Debiparshad) diary
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2019, 05:07:49 PM »

Hang in there, Lalbadshah! I also had to reduce lengthening during my journey due to pain. Moving down to 2 sessions a day was something I initially resisted - for the same reasons as yourself. I didn't want to drag the process on longer than it had to be. But, it solved all of my pain issues. It took maybe a week for me to start noticing the reduced pain, and it seems from your diary you're starting to notice improvement.

You'll make it. In the grand scheme of things, an extra few weeks of lengthening makes no difference. Suffering the pain you described every day just isn't worth it to save a little bit of time.

Lalbadshah

« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2019, 06:37:41 AM »

Hang in there, Lalbadshah! I also had to reduce lengthening during my journey due to pain. Moving down to 2 sessions a day was something I initially resisted - for the same reasons as yourself. I didn't want to drag the process on longer than it had to be. But, it solved all of my pain issues. It took maybe a week for me to start noticing the reduced pain, and it seems from your diary you're starting to notice improvement.

You'll make it. In the grand scheme of things, an extra few weeks of lengthening makes no difference. Suffering the pain you described every day just isn't worth it to save a little bit of time.

You are right, I had reduced to 1 click a day for 4 days and now after noticing some improvement I am trying 2 clicks a day (otherwise it will be too mate for me to accomplish my goal), I plan to continue 2 click for another weeks or 10 days and then try to go to 1mm a day, if needed I am even ok doing rest if my journey with 2 sessions a day. The truth is some kind of pain or issue is part and parcel of the journey and nobody is going to have a perfectly smooth ride from beginning to end. I will call you sometime man, it has been sometime we talked on phone, lets talk again sometime.

Lalbadshah

« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2019, 06:47:01 AM »

My thought on walking -

I wanted to share my thought on walking. The reason being - before doing LL I had read conflicting things in this forum on whether walking during LL is good or bad. My personal opinion and observation is - walking is good and in fact necessary (else you may become like vegetable and may have bad side effects) but at the same time I think it is important not to get overenthusiastic and walk too much everyday. With the power of stryde it is easy to abuse it by walking too much. I think walking too much may actually affect healing process adversely and put unnecessary strain on your body. This is my theory. Now if you ask how much is too much? I have no definite answer. I will say too much = what normally you would not do. just because you think walking will help you recover faster (this is prevalent opinion and I am not saying it is right or wrong, that is not what I am discussing here) do not go for like 4-5 sessions of long walks during the day, which normally (when you were not doing LL) yo would not do. Just keep it normal, walk just as much as you would walk normally (pre-LL). Again, this is my personal opinion, not a medical advice, I am not a doctor :)

Ghostfish

« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2019, 07:16:47 AM »

My thought on walking -

I wanted to share my thought on walking. The reason being - before doing LL I had read conflicting things in this forum on whether walking during LL is good or bad. My personal opinion and observation is - walking is good and in fact necessary (else you may become like vegetable and may have bad side effects) but at the same time I think it is important not to get overenthusiastic and walk too much everyday. With the power of stryde it is easy to abuse it by walking too much. I think walking too much may actually affect healing process adversely and put unnecessary strain on your body. This is my theory. Now if you ask how much is too much? I have no definite answer. I will say too much = what normally you would not do. just because you think walking will help you recover faster (this is prevalent opinion and I am not saying it is right or wrong, that is not what I am discussing here) do not go for like 4-5 sessions of long walks during the day, which normally (when you were not doing LL) yo would not do. Just keep it normal, walk just as much as you would walk normally (pre-LL). Again, this is my personal opinion, not a medical advice, I am not a doctor :)
I absolutely agree with you on walking.  In general, walking is good for CLL, because walking can stretch your muscle, keep muscle strength, help bone grow, and keep you from being depressed during CLL.  However, overdoing it may cause adverse effects such as pain, exhaustion, or inflammation.  Listen to your body, since everybody is different.

Lalbadshah

« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2019, 07:42:54 AM »

I absolutely agree with you on walking.  In general, walking is good for CLL, because walking can stretch your muscle, keep muscle strength, help bone grow, and keep you from being depressed during CLL.  However, overdoing it may cause adverse effects such as pain, exhaustion, or inflammation.  Listen to your body, since everybody is different.

Agree 100%

Lalbadshah

« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2019, 02:55:36 AM »

Updates:

1. The pain situation has improved a lot, now the pain is like very low so I  am back to 1mm from today, did .66mm yesterday and today back to 1 mm

2. I found a trick, handle your feet/leg etc gently/softly like in womanly manner and the pain level will be much much lower, the rougher/tougher you wanna play (with any kind of pain on body) the great hit-back you get

3. I will be very busy next 6 days so dont expect any update on diary

JsElysianEagle

« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2019, 08:00:12 AM »

@lalbadshah - glad to hear you pulled through and have been able to resume the normal pace of lengthening! keep at it, it will be over soon :-)

Lalbadshah

« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2019, 09:03:11 PM »

@lalbadshah - glad to hear you pulled through and have been able to resume the normal pace of lengthening! keep at it, it will be over soon :-)

yes man, I hope so

Resilience

Lalbadshah

« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2019, 09:43:18 AM »

Are you able to pitch into http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64338.msg165617#msg165617

I worked for long and saved more than enough, simple. I did not felt so urgncy to do it immediately with loan.

Lalbadshah

« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2019, 08:40:55 PM »

reached 40mm on machine, so I guess 41 mm in actual (1mm is the gap by which bines are separated when surgery is done I guess?), so 10 more days to go for reaching 51mm. I may stop lengthening at 51mm (2 inches), because after that I want to devote myself 100% to a career move I am making in my life. Only one hindrance at this point - earlier there was some pain on left knee joint/cap, now today I am getting stronger similar pain in left joint/cap, this is the first time I am having any kind of pain in my left leg. I took hotpack and feeling better, hopefully it is one off incident and will go away. 10 more days and I am done :) then focus will be to recover very fast to normal. 

Lalbadshah

« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2019, 06:39:28 AM »

or I may go to max 55 mm, lets see, my target is to stop by around 20th of this month and then focus completely on very fast recovery
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 06:59:43 AM by Lalbadshah »

cena

« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2019, 07:11:08 AM »

Try to postpone your new job if possible and necessary. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I think new job should not be a reason to stop. Preserving health should be the only valid reason.

Lalbadshah

« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2019, 06:44:48 PM »

Try to postpone your new job if possible and necessary. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I think new job should not be a reason to stop. Preserving health should be the only valid reason.

You mean to say I should aim for 65mm or more (my original aim) and the .5 inch is worth more than the reason of focusing more on a new career that I would be starting soon? I have heard from many LLers that those who stopped at 5 later regretted their decisions and thought they should have aimed for 6.5 to 7 , are you trying to say the same thing?
Note: postponing is not an option at this point, but taking it easy initially (while doing LL for 10 more days) and then focusing harder (when LL gal of 65 is over) is an option and I may think about that option because in a way you (and the other LLers) have a point - why do so much and stop early just for 10 days.

JsElysianEagle

« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2019, 08:27:03 PM »

@lalbadshah - agree that if possible you should definitely try to go all the way at least until 6.5-7 cm. Unless you are 100% certain that you will also be doing surgery for tibias, you should make the most of this opportunity you currently have. Think of all the money you've spent and the effort you've gone through, might as well get the most out of it!

InFullStryde

« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2019, 08:34:30 PM »

I would agree that you should go from 6.5 to 7.5cm  You are not at risk physically to go this distance and the difference between 2 and 3 inches is a lot.   I will forever be grateful to Dr. M for convincing me to keep going to 7.5 cm; when I felt like stopping at around 2 inches.
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

Lalbadshah

« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2019, 01:15:44 AM »

thanks all for your valuable input, I will think an decide.

cena

« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2019, 01:25:46 PM »

Yeah that is what I meant.

Hope your new job treats you well!

Can I ask you these questions?

1. Did you (or do you) live alone through LL?
2. If you had some kind of medical problem (like flu or some other bodily infection) what would you do in your state? Do you think you would be able to go by yourself to urgent care or something?
3. Have painkillers caused you any kind of bad effects like drowsiness at work or while walking?
4. Important question - How covered are you with your insurance (from your employer) while doing LL? If you were to freak out and call 911 over some strange nerve pain and they run a bunch of tests would you have to pay out of pocket? If you (God forbid) fracture your nail while walking or climbing down stairs and they needed to replace your nail (not Dr D but some other surgeon near you) would it be covered by insurance? What about normal things like flu? I am asking because insurance providers don't tend to cover problems that arose due to LL. I am sure you would have done ample research as you are a very thorough individual. Please enlighten us.
5. Has LL been more diffcult or easy as per your original expectations?

Thank you!

Lalbadshah

« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2019, 06:05:44 PM »

Yeah that is what I meant.

Hope your new job treats you well!

Can I ask you these questions?

1. Did you (or do you) live alone through LL?

- yes

2. If you had some kind of medical problem (like flu or some other bodily infection) what would you do in your state? Do you think you would be able to go by yourself to urgent care or something?

- Even I don't know what would I do, I will e screwed for sure with infection while doing LL. I will try to call uber and somehow reach to urgent care or call a friend. if it is emergency like fall down etc. I will dial 911 I think.

3. Have painkillers caused you any kind of bad effects like drowsiness at work or while walking?

- Yes, it is obvious, you should know this already reading diaries,

4. Important question - How covered are you with your insurance (from your employer) while doing LL? If you were to freak out and call 911 over some strange nerve pain and they run a bunch of tests would you have to pay out of pocket? If you (God forbid) fracture your nail while walking or climbing down stairs and they needed to replace your nail (not Dr D but some other surgeon near you) would it be covered by insurance? What about normal things like flu? I am asking because insurance providers don't tend to cover problems that arose due to LL. I am sure you would have done ample research as you are a very thorough individual. Please enlighten us.

- nobody can answer this question clearly, the only way to know is I think to find out when something happens, that is when you will know what insurance will do for you what it will not, it may also depend on many other actors i think ( e.g. kind of insurance, kind of issue faced, state you are n etc). I don' think ANYBODY can answer this question like that in black and white.

5. Has LL been more diffcult or easy as per your original expectations?

- Bcoz I wanted to work while doing this, fallen774 was my baseline. If I compare my experience verus his - mine has been much less physically painful than expected, but more mentally challenging and  than expected. He had so many pain challenges 911 call etc things - nothing for me,  but work wise I have been unable to do even 10% of my original pre-LL level work and can get fired, I rarely go to office and only do some work from home (I am sure there are rumours/bitching going on) , only think that may save me are - i) my manager is new and my ex manager had given me best performer rating to me before leaving so she may have a chat with me before firing, ii) I had deliberately started doing work from home months before LL so that it becomes normal in people's eyes that even if I am not in office they think I am working from home. But I am ready to get fired if it comes to that, in fact I already have other career plans. I don't know how fallen774 was able to go to work in wheelchair (with precise) and work just like that, maybe it is nature of work, mine is very stressful supply chain management work involves attending/hosting 100s of meetings. callls, 100s of devilries a day, answering 100s of emails a day, his was I believe more of a sole desk job writing code - I don't know - but for me I don't think you can do normal office work while doing LL.

My advice to anybody would be to follow Purushrottam's exmaple. Bring family members with you, it helps. and quit your job, LL is something that you want to devote your 100% to.

Thank you!

cena

« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2019, 04:54:35 PM »

Yet another disappearance? I hope you are alright lalbadshah. I was worried you were doing too much during LL.

Lalbadshah

« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2019, 02:43:53 PM »

I disappeared because I was busy, would have been back anyway. I had stopped at 2 inches (I wanted to focus on my career more) and am almost consolidated based on my last visit 2 days back to dr. D. I am back here suddenly now because I need urgent input from experienced folks. I had stopped lengthening on 9/22 and from then till now I have had no pain, walking well walking up down stairs etc. now suddenly the day I came back from visit with Dr. D 2 days back, next morning I woke up with unbearable (9/10) pain on joint of right side hip, as the day went by and with pain medicine it was gone and I was walking etc fine but again at night unbearable pain and now I am on bed with high pain. I am wondering what happened on that day (10/9) and these are the list of things that took place - i) for the first time in 80 days I forgot to take my xarelto (blood thinner) in a hurry to catch fight in morning, so had t take it in the evening and have been taking in evening from last 2 days , ii) the security (I chose manual pat down) at airport might have done something because they did too much patting on my thigh, iii) something ele, like x-ray etc. exacerbated something? any idea what might have happened? I will wait till tomorrow and if the pain does not go I will go to local hospital. I just hope it is not blood clot or fat embolism or compartment syndrome or anything of that serious sort.

Lalbadshah

« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2019, 12:59:43 AM »

and at the VERY beginning of my diary, at the very start I had written that based on my workload and other things, sometimes I will not post anything for weeks and sometimes will post multiple responses in a day, so if you chose to ignore what I declare at the beginning and start making guesses then it is not my fault.

Great321

« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2019, 07:23:41 AM »

If I was in your situation I would call and email my doctor first and if he is not available or if he advises it, I would either go to the emergency appointmemt of an orthopedist or to the emergency of a hospital directly.

cena

« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2019, 02:14:01 PM »

Yeah man you should be talking to Debiparshad or Ronnie.

and at the VERY beginning of my diary, at the very start I had written that based on my workload and other things, sometimes I will not post anything for weeks and sometimes will post multiple responses in a day, so if you chose to ignore what I declare at the beginning and start making guesses then it is not my fault.

Okay man chill out. You are right and a man of your word. Happy to see you posting.

Dirona

« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2019, 02:26:58 PM »

Are you on H1B LalBadshah?
Taking it easy

CodyTheDog

« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2019, 03:14:23 PM »

Thank you for making this diary, Lalbadshah! How much money in total (including living costs, everything) would you budget to do femur leg lengthening with your doctor?

CodyTheDog

« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2019, 03:20:35 PM »

My thought on walking -

For people who do not live near Las Vegas anyway, what do you feel are the biggest advantages of Dr. Debiparshad over Dr. Mahoubian? Thanks!!!

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2019, 01:20:19 PM »

LL is very tough on your body, soul, mind and it is so tough that being able ti be productive  at work is IMPOSSIBLE, trust me, it is IMPOSSIBLE. you can work but your hours will be so irregular, your output so low, your behavior so unpredictable that your career may end at that job (worst case, fired) or at best case you will be a marked low performer who will be the fall guy in next layoff or promotion cycle. Being fired is most likely.

Hey man,

I just wanna add up that not everyone has a high-performance, high-pressure silicon valley job. I totally get your performance suffers as you've described, but so does the performance of employees who got into accidents, have lived throught traumas or lost close relatives or loved ones. Obviously that's different than volunteering to choose LL, but if you can successfully make people believe it was a necessary bone surgery, it might be different. You're in the US, where there's a "hire and fire" policy and employees can be fired for no reason whatsoever. Other countries have stronger worker's protection laws and an employer actually needs a justified reason to let someone go.

It depends on the professional climate one works in and the country one lives in, but there's also companies who value an employee for their work and loyalty and will not fire him if he just had surgery or got sick. Just wanted to chime in on that.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Lalbadshah

« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2019, 07:56:05 PM »

you are right wannabetaller, my perspective is correct fro my stand point and yours is also right from your point.

Update for all - I had left my job (due to various reasons, not performance related in fact they gave me 200% bonus to keep me :)) and joined a 1 yr masters program in data science in a top school, so that I can - i) shift to data science ii) focus more on PT and have been VERY busy.
current situation - doing fine, walk withiout walker normally, walk up doen stairs normally, but have mild pain (rang g from .5 to 2) 80% of time in specific areas of both legs which I think will go away with time (I am only like 100 days post surgery), today something bad happened - I tripped on a pair of hard shoes and fell down on floor. Was able to get up fine and had a PT appointment in 15 minutes (after the fall) and went (walked it is .4 miles from me) there and told them what happened , also texted Ronny asking if I should do X-ray. the PT people gave me lots of tough exercises and did lots of physical tests (example - a strong guy asked me to resist while he tried with full force to bed my knees but could not, and similar tests), I was able to resists all forces without any pain on one leg and with .5 pain on other,  based on this they said you are more than fine don't worry - if something would have happened due to fall you would not be able to walk to the clinic likenormal and resist the bending (that the guy was trying to do) without a lot pf pain. They gave me lots of many exercises and I passed like 90% with flying colors, struggled in some (because of course I am not 100% back to normal, it is impossible in 3 months), one more thing I can sit on floor with folded legs fine without any issue. Ronny and I agreed that I will see 1-2 days and if I feel anything odd/bad then I will get an X-ray done. My only challenge now is to ditch oxycodon, which I still need (though I have reduced to 2-3 a day) because of pain, I am trying to replace Oxycodon with Tylenol, I hope I succeed, because I still feel some dependency and uneasiness and increased pain at times (though not unbearable, more like 3 max) if I dont take Odycodon for very long hours. Next update after 3 weeks , have 2 amazon interviews for Senior Manager roles. bye till then, wish me luck.

cena

« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2019, 08:16:20 PM »

You have been taking more than 2-3 oxy every day since the day of surgery till now (100 days)?

And what was that other crazy pain you were describing earlier?

now suddenly the day I came back from visit with Dr. D 2 days back, next morning I woke up with unbearable (9/10) pain on joint of right side hip, as the day went by and with pain medicine it was gone and I was walking etc fine but again at night unbearable pain and now I am on bed with high pain.

Lalbadshah

« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2019, 08:35:22 PM »

You have been taking more than 2-3 oxy every day since the day of surgery till now (100 days)?

And what was that other crazy pain you were describing earlier?

dude, in your PMs and your questions you try to make things sound dramatic and the way you ask questions is offending I have not told you till now because I knew it will make you feel bad or you may become defensive or offensive and I have no time to waste arguing with people (once wanted to tell you in PM but then had let it go, but am telling you today), maybe because it is your lack of research, being immature or lack of understanding american way of giving respect/being polite anyway - one advice if you want help/advice from people ask politely and be nice to them don't try to grill them and disrespect - they don't owe you anything  if you ask questions in such a way in future i will not respond. FYI - the frequency (and even medicines) vary for patients , for exmaple some take morphin, some morphin plus Oxycodon , some Oxycodon only, and the frequency also varies as per the doctor;s undertsanding or your pain bearing capability, some people are prescribed every 4 hours, some very 5 and so on. I was taking every 5 hours for soem time, then I changed to every 6 and now 2-3 a day , this varies on individual circumstances, just like recovery varies for exmple - I know some people who could not get out for of bed for 7 days after surgery and I was walkign with walker next day, I could move my legs a lot in 24 hours which I was told by Ronney he has not seen anybody being able to do, even in this forum you will see from diaries diffrent people at different level of recovery stage in same time frame, so everything - including your medicine, your pain level, your recovery, union (e.g. some have non union, and some liek me have relatively fast union), your flexibility, your weight bearign ability, your stamina (how long, with how much inclination can you walk) varies and are not like a predefined and fixed math formula. Also, fyi - the thing with opioids (that is why those are controlled substances) is that they have a hooking effect on your brain, so even if you have mild pain the brain at times tries to amplifyy it to try to force you to take it (think cigerettes, alcohol) and anyboduy who has ever taken opioids for long term has the challange to get off those, and how people deal with the challange and how quickly is also subjective (just like all the other things like recovery, pain, flexibility , stmian etc.), if someoen takes more time it does not make them junkie, just like if somebody takes 7 days to walk it does not make him/her a sissie, if sombody has fast union does not make them wolverrine or super human, humans are different adn their minds and bodies are different. Regarding the unbearable pain - it was gone after 3-4 days, I never understood why it came and why it went (though I have some therories in my mind - like maybe there was some blood clot because on that particular day I did not walk, I was sitting in plane for 10-12 hours and then sitting or lying for rest of the time, which was different then my normal routine where I walk decent amount. But that is just a theory, I will never know) but since it has been many weeks and I am doing fine I don't think about that any more and anyway in LL there will be things that will remain unexplained (as you will see of you read all diaries) because LL and its outcome and recovery phases are not a fully predictable.  Please do more research, research is your best friend if you wanna do LL. And DO NOT disrespect LLers, each may have their difficulty and positive points durign the journey but each of them at least had the guts to go through the journey and deal with the challanges, rather than being a keyboard warrior spitting out offending/juding comments. And again - I will prefer/request you get off my diary and do not PM or me or write in my diary any more, I don't like non-polite judgemental people, thank you in advance for respecting my request/preference.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 09:04:45 PM by Lalbadshah »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up