Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs stryde with Giotikas (July 2020)  (Read 24432 times)

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
Re: Femurs stryde with Giotikas (July 2020)
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2020, 10:15:17 AM »

You're not weight bearing or stretching enuf that's why wide legs. This is like how monorail patients walk. Use the stryde to your advantage, and walk more
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

Tartar

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2020, 12:05:54 PM »

Hi guys - quick update. I'm about 53 days post surgery (4.5cm).

My wide legs in the last few days has transitioned into some new form of position. I have bent knees when I stand normally or walk and a very slight ballerina foot. I'm not sure if this is duckass as I don't actually have the duckass. As a result, it is actually more tiring for me to stand up than it is to walk. While my feet are still wide, the width has decreased somewhat. Very strange....

One positive thing. I went on a number of tinder dates on the weekend and one girl said to me after I stood up "you're kinda tall, how tall are you?" I've never had that in my life so that's amazing!!!
I have your same problem! I am at 5,1cm femur stryde and I have bent knee standing (so it’s like I’m shorter) without duckass and I prefer to walk slightly on tiptoes and with wide legs because of the tightness of my limbs. My ROM too has decreased expecially on the left; what about yours?
I was a bit worried but reading your comment I think it’s not uncommon and we are not the only ones

m7liam

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2020, 12:27:26 PM »

I have your same problem! I am at 5,1cm femur stryde and I have bent knee standing (so it’s like I’m shorter) without duckass and I prefer to walk slightly on tiptoes and with wide legs because of the tightness of my limbs. My ROM too has decreased expecially on the left; what about yours?
I was a bit worried but reading your comment I think it’s not uncommon and we are not the only ones

Yes I have exactly this problem! When I stand I stand on tip toes as well. Which is why my legs get tired.

I don’t have an issue with ROM though? Do you mean ROM from bending the leg? My ROM is still unchanged for the last 3 weeks. I can bend to about 135 degrees when lying upwards and 100 when lying downwards. Both legs the same

Tartar

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2020, 12:38:33 PM »

Yes I have exactly this problem! When I stand I stand on tip toes as well. Which is why my legs get tired.

I don’t have an issue with ROM though? Do you mean ROM from bending the leg? My ROM is still unchanged for the last 3 weeks. I can bend to about 135 degrees when lying upwards and 100 when lying downwards. Both legs the same
Good for you, mine has started decreasing at 4-4,5cm. I mean the range of motion during extension and flexion. For example standing you have lost like me some degrees in extension. By the way my max flexion on the left is ~90 and ~120 on the right.
So you are waking unaided, right?

m7liam

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2020, 02:19:25 PM »

Good for you, mine has started decreasing at 4-4,5cm. I mean the range of motion during extension and flexion. For example standing you have lost like me some degrees in extension. By the way my max flexion on the left is ~90 and ~120 on the right.
So you are waking unaided, right?

Ah right understood. Yes, I've lost degrees in extension but not on flexion (although I never fully recovered on the flexion to be able to touch my thigh). Right leg is worse - I've probably lost 10-15 degrees extension on the right.

Yes, I've been walking unaided since 20 days post-op.

Tartar

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2020, 02:27:32 PM »

Ah right understood. Yes, I've lost degrees in extension but not on flexion (although I never fully recovered on the flexion to be able to touch my thigh). Right leg is worse - I've probably lost 10-15 degrees extension on the right.

Yes, I've been walking unaided since 20 days post-op.
Yea obv it’s too early to have a good max angle.

BelowTheMean

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2020, 05:55:00 PM »

Well I usually pre-empt this by telling them about my sports accident when sitting down and making a joke about my penguin walk. That way by the time I walk they are already accustomed to it and no major comments. Tbh, after leaving the bar with them and half a bottle of wine in me, I walk like a drunk penguin!

Haha good strategy. I’m doing my procedure this winter, so ski accident it is!
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2020, 06:01:00 PM »

Haha, skiing accidents never go out of fashion :D
Starting [Morning] Height: 172.5 cm, Ending: 180.5
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

BelowTheMean

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2020, 06:08:28 PM »

Haha, skiing accidents never go out of fashion :D

Yea plus it scales with your skill level.
Newbie: I couldn’t turn in time and collided with a tree!
Expert: I landed the 40 foot drop at the wrong angle!
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

m7liam

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2020, 03:53:54 AM »

Damn - met a med student last night and she nearly called me out! "I didn't know you could get hip fractures from soccer".

Hahahaha

AppleFanBoy

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2020, 02:03:19 PM »

Hey m7liam, how are you doing with your wide legs?  Is it improving as the days go by? Have you talked to Dr.Giotikas or anyone from his team about this?

m7liam

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2020, 06:04:12 AM »

Hey m7liam, how are you doing with your wide legs?  Is it improving as the days go by? Have you talked to Dr.Giotikas or anyone from his team about this?

Hi. I got wide legs at 2.3cms and now I am at 5,2cms. The wide legs hasn’t got worse or better during this period. Hence I suspect it must have improved since I have lengthened more.

Dr just says it’s common and I’ll get use to it over time

m7liam

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2020, 01:39:06 PM »

Hi. I got wide legs at 2.3cms and now I am at 5,2cms. The wide legs hasn’t got worse or better during this period. Hence I suspect it must have improved since I have lengthened more.

Dr just says it’s common and I’ll get use to it over time

Hi guys - I am at 5.2cms and ~60 days post surgery. Things are starting to get tight. I notice that walking isn't as easy as before due to the tightness. Right now I can only walk unassisted about 250m before I need to sit for a rest.

As mentioned before, wide legs is still the same width (say 30-40 cm's apart) and I am getting some bent leg of 10-15% reduction in extension in the right leg that I am working on. This is severely affecting my ability to stand up and hence I have to sit down after 2 minutes as I get tired easily.

Also in the last few days while lying down my butt is starting to get sore which didn't occur before. I haven't got nerve pain yet but would be expecting it soon.

Am constantly catching up with friends and I have to say it feels amazing to now be as tall or nearly as tall as them. However, I hope I can get through this last stretch quickly and start post-distraction recovery as things are feeling like it will go downhill before going uphill.

F_99

• Height Communist
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2020, 01:50:11 PM »

Hi guys - I am at 5.2cms and ~60 days post surgery. Things are starting to get tight. I notice that walking isn't as easy as before due to the tightness. Right now I can only walk unassisted about 250m before I need to sit for a rest.

As mentioned before, wide legs is still the same width (say 30-40 cm's apart) and I am getting some bent leg of 10-15% reduction in extension in the right leg that I am working on. This is severely affecting my ability to stand up and hence I have to sit down after 2 minutes as I get tired easily.

Also in the last few days while lying down my butt is starting to get sore which didn't occur before. I haven't got nerve pain yet but would be expecting it soon.

Am constantly catching up with friends and I have to say it feels amazing to now be as tall or nearly as tall as them. However, I hope I can get through this last stretch quickly and start post-distraction recovery as things are feeling like it will go downhill before going uphill.

Good luck.
You aiming for the full 8cm lenghtening?
Looking for an alternative.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2020, 01:59:46 PM »

Sir, you should probably get a personal PT and actually rehab way more. You make think I am joking but if you don't fix these issues right now when you are still distracting then once you distract your goal it is over and you will take a long time to recover. Please sir. No longer will I be politically correct. You need to get your as* to PT asap. Not just "muh one stretch a day", that's nothing .This is super super concerning.
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

m7liam

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2020, 02:12:40 PM »

Sir, you should probably get a personal PT and actually rehab way more. You make think I am joking but if you don't fix these issues right now when you are still distracting then once you distract your goal it is over and you will take a long time to recover. Please sir. No longer will I be politically correct. You need to get your as* to PT asap. Not just "muh one stretch a day", that's nothing .This is super super concerning.

Hi Ghkid, can you please clarify what is very concerning to you? As far as I am aware, my progress is pretty similar to most people (except the issue of wide legs which fortunately hasn't gotten worse and is similar to some people but not all).

Re: exercise - I do try to allocate time to it everyday to go beyond just the one stretch per day. Where there have been issues (wide legs, bent right leg) I have been spending significant time to try to fix.

m7liam

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2020, 02:13:14 PM »

Good luck.
You aiming for the full 8cm lenghtening?

Yes - that's right. Still aiming for 8cm. God willing

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2020, 03:48:19 PM »

Hi Ghkid, can you please clarify what is very concerning to you? As far as I am aware, my progress is pretty similar to most people (except the issue of wide legs which fortunately hasn't gotten worse and is similar to some people but not all).

Re: exercise - I do try to allocate time to it everyday to go beyond just the one stretch per day. Where there have been issues (wide legs, bent right leg) I have been spending significant time to try to fix.

Hi m7liam,

Glad things all look promising :) I believe you'll be able to successfully lengthen to 8cm. 

I think what mainly concerns ghkid2019, is the widening legs. I think what he meant was that if you spent some PT time on it while distracting, it would save you a lot of time trying to fix it post distraction. I tend to agree with him. Why not trying to fix it while distracting? If the PT is good, he/she should be able to work with you on that, without aggravating nerve pain.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 04:54:05 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2020, 03:54:16 PM »

I started taking Gabapentin (two 300mg pills per day) prescribed by Dr. M. I am on day 2. I can't tell if it lowered the pain level. Online info and the experience of our CLL folks here show that it may take a week or two, before it starts suppressing the nerve pain.  Please talk to your Dr. about Gabapentin and see if you should start taking it now, so the remaining mm's to 8cm would be easier to achieve.

AppleFanBoy

« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2020, 06:19:59 PM »

Doesn't Giotikas, have specific PT instructions if you're lengthening at home?  Also m7liam, I have to agree with everyone here.  Fixing the issue while distracting seems the most logical thing to do and will definitely speed up recovery time. Please take care now for a couple months and live the rest of the time after free of worries!

more

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2020, 07:20:28 AM »

Don't worry about wide legs , with internal method this is quite common if your adductors muscles are not enough strong and  IT  band is tight

After finishing lengthening 6 to 8 week your legs will become in Normal range
don't try to push your leg hard to make it normal range(avoid Force full abduction) this may cause Hyper loadrosis ( permanent back pain)

There are some excercise You can try ( but don't do forcefully)

1.Isometric adduction with knees bent (ball between both leg)

2.Concentric adduction exercises

3.Resisted exercises with elastic band for adductor muscles

4. Ilio - pesos stretching ( thomas stretch)

m7liam

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2020, 03:43:52 AM »

I started taking Gabapentin (two 300mg pills per day) prescribed by Dr. M. I am on day 2. I can't tell if it lowered the pain level. Online info and the experience of our CLL folks here show that it may take a week or two, before it starts suppressing the nerve pain.  Please talk to your Dr. about Gabapentin and see if you should start taking it now, so the remaining mm's to 8cm would be easier to achieve.

Thanks. I've been taking 75mg of Lyrica daily since Day 1.

m7liam

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2020, 03:45:30 AM »

Don't worry about wide legs , with internal method this is quite common if your adductors muscles are not enough strong and  IT  band is tight

After finishing lengthening 6 to 8 week your legs will become in Normal range
don't try to push your leg hard to make it normal range(avoid Force full abduction) this may cause Hyper loadrosis ( permanent back pain)

There are some excercise You can try ( but don't do forcefully)

1.Isometric adduction with knees bent (ball between both leg)

2.Concentric adduction exercises

3.Resisted exercises with elastic band for adductor muscles

4. Ilio - pesos stretching ( thomas stretch)

Thanks, this is super helpful. Are there any other exercises you recommend as the ones you mention don't seem to be very forceful? I will try them out though.

igalok

• Visitor
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2020, 04:13:14 AM »

Hello , can you climb stairs up and down easily? Are you able now to walk fast?

m7liam

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2020, 04:47:24 AM »

Hello , can you climb stairs up and down easily? Are you able now to walk fast?

Yes I can climb stairs with no issues. Down is a bit harder but still not too big of a deal.

I haven't tried walking fast to be honest given I don't want to fall. But my walking is about the same as before.

Body Builder

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2020, 09:09:31 AM »

Hi.

Has Giotikas performed and itb release on you?
I've seen many femur patients (regardless of the nail) walking but noone with a so big gap between the knees. I hope it is nothing important but still it doesn't seem very normal to me, especially at too soon (2,5 cm).

more

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2020, 10:26:00 AM »

Hi.

Has Giotikas performed and itb release on you?
I've seen many femur patients (regardless of the nail) walking but noone with a so big gap between the knees. I hope it is nothing important but still it doesn't seem very normal to me, especially at too soon (2,5 cm).
Giotikas is not that much SKILL  doctor . He is still in learning phase ( in my opinion)

Tartar

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2020, 01:10:10 PM »

Thanks, this is super helpful. Are there any other exercises you recommend as the ones you mention don't seem to be very forceful? I will try them out though.
If you are interested my PT suggested me even to raise all the straight limb by 30-40cm doing meanwhile isometric contraction of the quad.
I have solved the bend knee and a light valgus coming back with the nail extension, it has been very useful because I’ve given my tissues some more time to grow and extend.

Arcon

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2020, 08:58:23 PM »

Giotikas is not that much SKILL  doctor . He is still in learning phase ( in my opinion)

Don't be so unfair to Giotikas when @m7liam has already admitted that he practically abandoned physio after he left Athens! Giotikas is currently one of the most experienced LL doctors worldwide, practicing distraction osteogenesis since 2012 in two of the most serious hospitals in the world (Cambridge and Oxford). He is not just "anyone" in my opinion and this is proven by his instant success when he started his Athens clinic.

To be honest,  I am really surprised that @m7liam is doing so well despite his luck of comittment. Maybe this has to do with the quality of surgery and physio that he received whilst in Athens.

Body Builder

« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2020, 11:19:14 PM »

Don't be so unfair to Giotikas when @m7liam has already admitted that he practically abandoned physio after he left Athens! Giotikas is currently one of the most experienced LL doctors worldwide, practicing distraction osteogenesis since 2012 in two of the most serious hospitals in the world (Cambridge and Oxford). He is not just "anyone" in my opinion and this is proven by his instant success when he started his Athens clinic.

To be honest,  I am really surprised that @m7liam is doing so well despite his luck of comittment. Maybe this has to do with the quality of surgery and physio that he received whilst in Athens.
Without wanting to be unfair or rude, I don't see from the videos to do very well.
From other LLers the walking looks much more normal at the same amounth of lengthening.
That said, if after lengthening the walking becomes normal, then it doesn't matter at all. But till then, i don't think that walking is exactly as it should.

AppleFanBoy

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2020, 12:41:32 AM »

m7liam, remember the surgery is about you. Don’t take too much critique from this site and make sure you’re communicating with the doctor and I know you’ll be fine! I have a few questions for you maybe I can PM you regarding Dr. Giotikas. I’m planning to go late October!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up