Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Another 8cm femurs (hopefully) with Dr Paley Sep 2020!!  (Read 14462 times)

SuchLL

Another 8cm femurs (hopefully) with Dr Paley Sep 2020!!
« on: September 29, 2020, 07:00:29 AM »

Hello People,

I found many people’s experiences super helpful so I also want to share mine and hope it can help you too.

About me: I’m 25, 164cm, originally from China. My parents and I live in the state now (not in FL though). I’m software engineer so wfh is an option for me, but I will take 3 months off since it’s strongly recommended by Dr. Paley.

Who takes care of me: Chinese people are usually not that open, so I really appreciate it that my parents always support my “crazy” ideas. My mom will stay with me and take care of me during the entire 3 months.

Who knows about my surgery: right now only my parents and my ex knows about it. My ex knows it because she’s my girlfriend back then lol. (We broke up for other reasons, not because of the surgery lol). I don’t plan on letting any other people know about my surgery.

Why I want LL: I just want to be taller and feel better about myself.

What my goal is: I don’t have a goal. If I’m happy after 8 cm femur then I won’t do tibia.

Where I stay: since my mom can drive, and we have a suv that is big enough to carry wheelchair, I booked an airbnb for 3 months instead of staying in the recommended hotels. It’s a 10-minute drive to the Paley institute.

Preparation before the surgery: I stretched and used foam roller every day for 3 months before surgery.

Sep 15, surgery: I had the femur surgery with Dr. Paley today. I woke up feeling excited probably because of the meds... I didn’t feel painful but my legs were extremely heavy and stiff. That feeling was worse than pain to me. The first day was hard as I couldn’t get off the bed. My mom couldn’t stay with me overnight in the hospital because of covid. (I felt I was a baby again and seeing her made me feel better lol). I had good appetite though.

Sep 19, Day 4: sorry for not updating on day 2 and 3. so I was discharged in the afternoon. I read MyRevolution’s posts about having problems with sitting. I didn’t feel painful while sitting though. I think the incisions differ from person to person, and my incisions are probably higher. I applied ice to my legs a lot for the first three days. My incisions were good and only hurt a little on day 4. I took pain meds because I would feel cold and very uncomfortable if I didn’t. Right now I’m taking pain meds every 4-5 hours. I switched between 5mg of oxycodone and 2 acetaminophen. So if I took oxycodone this time, I would take acetaminophen next time. Pain management is easy so far. I slept for 10+ hrs every day because the pain meds made me sleepy. Several nurses said that I recovered faster than people they saw in the past few weeks. They said they loved to see me walking around (with a walker of course) and I was superstar lol. I’m not sure if it’s true or they just wanted me to feel good. It’s not an easy task to walk around but I tried to get some exercises every few hours. My mom also helped me stretch several times a day, and I ate a lot (my mom cooked delicious Chinese food!). I could stand, wash my face, brush teeth, etc... I could also took shower by myself (putting a chair in the tub and sitting on the chair). I never tried to walk without walker, but I feel I can walk a few steps without walker too. I could do these but they were not easy tasks for me.

Sep 20, Day 5: I started to only take 5mg oxy every 4.5-6 hours instead of switching between oxy and acetaminophen. Oxy is stronger, but it gave me good energy to stretch & walk around, which actually helped me recover I believe.

Sep 21, day 6: my legs are much more flexible comparing to yesterday. Stretch, exercises, and walk really help! I could walk a lot faster today (with walker). I started to do more simple tasks on my own to show off lol. Pain management is still easy so far. I’ll start lengthening tomorrow!

Sep 22, day 7: First day lengthening! I’m using the latest Samsung machine, which is smaller, smarter, and takes only about 45s to lengthen 0.25mm (I heard it’s 7 mins with the old machine...). I think they just got the new machines several months ago. Unlike the old machine, the new machine can tell you if it’s connect to the nail, and will only start to work if connected. It’s hard to incorrectly use the new machine and miss lengthening. PT measured my flexibility today, and said it’s impressive to see how flexible I am. I stretched and used form roller every day for 3 months before the surgery, so my muscles are not tight at all. PT told me to put ice pack on my thigh since they were still swollen (It’s so obvious that my thigh are swollen, but I don’t know why I didn’t notice it until my PT told me...............)

Sep 23, day 8: I was with a different PT today. It seems that she’s a little disappointed seeing me super flexible because I kept telling her “no“ when she asked me if I felt the stretch lol. She said she wanted to challenge me and see me coming in tomorrow without wheelchair, just the walker. My legs felt so good after PT because they were warmed up. I went to shopping with my mom right after PT and walked for 1 hour without rest!

Sep 23, day 9: today I went to PT without wheelchair, and felt that I will never need it! I had to keep walking while waiting for PT though since standing was harder for me...  Pain management was easy before lengthening, but becomes a little harder now. It’s probably because I haven’t fully recovered from the surgery, so I’m lengthening injured areas.

Sep 27, day 13: sorry for not updating everyday. Since it’s almost 2 weeks after the surgery, I tried to not take oxy to see if I still needed it. After 9 hours without oxy, my conclusion is, I still need oxy. I felt tired after walking for 1 hour without rest on day 8. Today I just walked for 1 hour again and didn’t feel tired at all!

Sep 28, day 14: sometimes I felt discomfort in my left leg and oxy couldn’t help. I don’t know how to rate the discomfort, but I couldn’t sleep when I felt it. It’s been like this for several days but it’s getting better. Sometimes the discomfort slowly goes away if I apply heat or lay on my stomach, so I became a stomach sleeper recently... I usually have two daytime naps (3+ hours) and two nighttime naps (4 to 5+ hours), so I sleep about 7 to 8+ hours a day. I feel I’ve been doing great so far. Several PT said I should be able to hit 8 cm without problems. One PT felt that my legs probably won’t be tight at all during the entire lengthening process. Right now I’m still super flexible , have good appetite and eat 5 meals a day. Having my parents supporting me also makes me mentally stable and strong.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 07:21:10 AM by SuchLL »

brondo

Re: Another 8cm femurs (hopefully) with Dr Paley Sep 2020!!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 08:08:28 AM »

Hi SuchLL,

Thank you so much for sharing your journey! That was very smart of you to stretch and use a foam roller 3 months prior to the surgery. How flexible are you exactly? Can you do the splits? Any stretching/exercise routine you can reveal to us? I was also wondering if you could post a picture or video of the Samsung machine? I'm very curious to see what it looks like. Pretty amazing the speed it can lengthen. You have great support from your parents and you have prepared well for this moment, I'm sure you'll do great. I look forward to reading about your progress along the way!

-brondo

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 08:55:51 AM »

你好。 你是美国人吗? 你的英文很好.
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

init1alove

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 05:39:34 PM »

Thanks for sharing this. It's really helpful. Keep updating it. I am also a Chinese in America, as a SDE... I am 160cm height.

small

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 06:07:29 PM »

That's awesome man, thanks for sharing this. I'm also about 164-165cm, soon to be SW engineer, and considering going with Paley so this will be super helpful :)

Quad Stryde

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 08:50:25 PM »

Thanks for the diary!
I look forward to reading your progress and wish you the best of luck.

Please upload an image of the new Samsung device.

BelowTheMean

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 08:52:21 PM »

Great to hear everything is going well so far, especially with pain management and flexibility. I'm also interested in how far you got with pre-op flexibility. I've been stretching a lot as my surgery date is coming up and I'm hoping that I go in a lot more flexible than I am currently.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

BeYourBest

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 12:56:19 AM »

Thanks for the diary

The pre surgery stretching seems to have done you justice. Hopefully this will be a breeze for you.

Those that are close to surgery please stretch your legs consistently. It may reduce pain levels significantly!

All the best

SuchLL

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 05:02:04 AM »

Hi SuchLL,

Thank you so much for sharing your journey! That was very smart of you to stretch and use a foam roller 3 months prior to the surgery. How flexible are you exactly? Can you do the splits? Any stretching/exercise routine you can reveal to us? I was also wondering if you could post a picture or video of the Samsung machine? I'm very curious to see what it looks like. Pretty amazing the speed it can lengthen. You have great support from your parents and you have prepared well for this moment, I'm sure you'll do great. I look forward to reading about your progress along the way!

-brondo

Hi Brondo, I’ll try to describe how flexible I am. Two PTs thought I could do splits but I couldn’t. PTs have to work really hard for me to feel stretch on my hamstrings. I couldn’t feel stretch on my hip flexors (they usually get tight if you sit too long). Prior to the surgery I could use a very intense foam roller on my quads and still didn’t feel hurt so my quads are not tight either. My IT band is good so far since Dr. Paley does IT band release for all his patients. I forgot to mention that I also tried to strengthen my gluteus medius for 3 months before the surgery. A weak gluteus medius can make IT band tighter.

I stretch 3 times a day (2 times at home + 1 time with PT), and walk for 1 - 1.5 hours. Different PTs make me do different exercises, and I focus on the exercises that are challenging to me at home. I think the discomfort in my right leg was caused by too much exercises, so I will do less exercises in the next few days.

Here’s a picture of the new machine:
https://ibb.co/StGjG4Y

It tells you how much you’ve lengthened in total and daily. It’s also chargeable so you can do lengthening anywhere.

SuchLL

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 05:10:22 AM »

Great to hear everything is going well so far, especially with pain management and flexibility. I'm also interested in how far you got with pre-op flexibility. I've been stretching a lot as my surgery date is coming up and I'm hoping that I go in a lot more flexible than I am currently.

I described how flexible I am in a different post. You will be a lot more flexible and best of luck on your surgery!

SuchLL

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 05:42:11 AM »

Sorry for not replying everyone’s posts here. I read all your posts and I’m happy that you find my diary helpful!

Sep 29, day 15: I think the discomfort in my left leg was caused by too much exercises. Today I gave myself a break and did less exercises, and my left leg feels much better right now! I will do less exercises in the next few days to help my left leg recover. Today PT told me to keep my feet closer and try to avoid penguin walking... I tried it and my mom said I walked much better. It’s hard to keep my feet close though. I have to lean forward which hurts my back. I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to keep my feet closer at this stage since my butt is still very weak. I will ask other PTs to get their opinions.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 06:24:59 AM »

Really loving the new Paley diaries recently. Seems like randomly for some reason all of a sudden, every Asian who is a software engineer decided to book a surgery for Stryde femurs with Paley in the month of September. You're like number 3 already lol

This diary is incredibly detailed, and it's awesome you did foam rolling and stretching for 3 months. You're way ahead of the curve, and I'm happy your 妈妈 is taking care of you.

Keep taking pictures bro. That's a really cool erc machine, thanks for showing us, never would've knew if you didn't share !

Best of luck brotha
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

brondo

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 06:43:59 AM »

Thanks for replying SuchLL. It look like the new ERC is the same one that has been going around to the other LL places. Didn't know it was made by Samsung though. I was wondering how you take showers without the incision points getting wet. Anything specific for that? Hope your left leg recovers soon.

-brondo

SuchLL

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 04:26:46 PM »

Thanks for replying SuchLL. It look like the new ERC is the same one that has been going around to the other LL places. Didn't know it was made by Samsung though. I was wondering how you take showers without the incision points getting wet. Anything specific for that? Hope your left leg recovers soon.

-brondo

Thanks my left leg is much better and almost doesn’t bother me now. They put waterproof bandages on my incisions, checked my incisions a week after the surgery, and just took off everything on my incisions since they healed nicely.

SuchLL

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 04:32:30 PM »

Really loving the new Paley diaries recently. Seems like randomly for some reason all of a sudden, every Asian who is a software engineer decided to book a surgery for Stryde femurs with Paley in the month of September. You're like number 3 already lol

This diary is incredibly detailed, and it's awesome you did foam rolling and stretching for 3 months. You're way ahead of the curve, and I'm happy your 妈妈 is taking care of you.

Keep taking pictures bro. That's a really cool erc machine, thanks for showing us, never would've knew if you didn't share !

Best of luck brotha

Yes I’ve seen at least two Chinese software engineers during PT lol... And yes 我是中国人哈哈

Joker

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 06:16:30 PM »

All the best for your new phase of your life. Looking forward for your picture.

SuchLL

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 11:38:40 PM »

Sep 30, day 16: I started getting use to the soreness caused by lengthening. I probably forgot to mention that my legs felt sore after lengthening each time. Pain meds couldn’t help, but the soreness usually went away within 1 - 1.5 hours, and I couldn’t feel it while taking showers. Now I understand why someone took 5 showers a day... It’s a good way to relax and manage pain. I also started to take acetaminophen instead of oxy sometimes, but acetaminophen only lasted about 3 hours for me.

Oct 1, day 17: I ordered a massage table and a strap for better stretches. The massage table is firm, and costs about $100 from Amazon. I can’t get good stretches on softer surfaces, and floor is an option for only some of the stretches.

brondo

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 02:07:56 AM »

Hi SuchLL,

Thanks for the update. Can you describe exactly how you are using the massage table for your stretching?

SuchLL

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2020, 03:26:32 AM »

Hi SuchLL,

Thanks for the update. Can you describe exactly how you are using the massage table for your stretching?

It’s hard for me to answer this question but I’ll try. For example, I need to keep my back straight to do Thomas stretch, but it’s harder to do it if I lie down on a softer surface like a bed. I can still do it on my bed, but I won’t feel very good stretch and my back will hurt too.

brondo

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2020, 08:02:57 AM »

It’s hard for me to answer this question but I’ll try. For example, I need to keep my back straight to do Thomas stretch, but it’s harder to do it if I lie down on a softer surface like a bed. I can still do it on my bed, but I won’t feel very good stretch and my back will hurt too.

Thank you

init1alove

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2020, 05:48:13 PM »

Sep 30, day 16: I started getting use to the soreness caused by lengthening. I probably forgot to mention that my legs felt sore after lengthening each time. Pain meds couldn’t help, but the soreness usually went away within 1 - 1.5 hours, and I couldn’t feel it while taking showers. Now I understand why someone took 5 showers a day... It’s a good way to relax and manage pain. I also started to take acetaminophen instead of oxy sometimes, but acetaminophen only lasted about 3 hours for me.

Oct 1, day 17: I ordered a massage table and a strap for better stretches. The massage table is firm, and costs about $100 from Amazon. I can’t get good stretches on softer surfaces, and floor is an option for only some of the stretches.

Hi SuchLL,

Thanks for the updates. Hope you feel better soon.
Are you able to take shower yourself?

SuchLL

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2020, 09:48:16 PM »

Hi SuchLL,

Thanks for the updates. Hope you feel better soon.
Are you able to take shower yourself?

Yes. I started to take shower by myself on day 4. The hospital will order you a shower chair. Right now I take 3-4 showers a day.

sd2318668

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2020, 10:41:42 PM »

Lucky you, you have your family to support you. I am going to get the surgery all by myself but my dr told me I need a 24/7 carer for 3 months. The cost is so expensive and I have a thought to postpone this surgery....

BelowTheMean

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2020, 02:09:15 AM »

Lucky you, you have your family to support you. I am going to get the surgery all by myself but my dr told me I need a 24/7 carer for 3 months. The cost is so expensive and I have a thought to postpone this surgery....

What doctor? Surely no doctor is requiring this with Stryde. The most I've seen recently is 2 weeks, though the Baltimore center that has cheap housing available does require someone to stay with you the whole time.
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

FormerKidd

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2020, 04:31:00 AM »

24/7 caretaker?  Nah.  After the first couple of weeks, you might need someone to help with certain errands, but not 24/7.

SuchLL

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2020, 09:44:49 PM »

It’s my 3rd week. It won’t be easy for me to do everything by myself, but I’m able to take care of myself. I heard that most people feel much better after 3 weeks when surgery pain is gone. I don’t know your doctor, but Dr. Paley tells his patients to hire caregiver for 2-3 weeks. Best of luck on your surgery!

SuchLL

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2020, 04:23:42 AM »

Oct 2, day 18: my legs felt very sore after the 3rd turn today (I do four turns a day and 0.25mm each turn). I will do one turn every 5-6 hours to increase the interval between each turn to see if I’ll feel better.

Oct 3, day 19: good news! My legs almost didn’t feel sore after increasing the interval between each turn! The soreness each time after lengthening was the only thing stopping me from saying “pain management is easy”. Today I can tell you that pain management is easy again! I’m very happy and also got a haircut from my mom today lol. My legs and butt are also much more stronger. I focused on butt exercises only for three days and I already walked a lot better now.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 06:24:17 AM by SuchLL »

simple

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2020, 07:44:26 AM »

Hi SuchLL,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wish you the best of luck and I will be following your diary closely as I am also planning on lengthening my femur by 8cm with Paley in September 2021. 
not sure if 5 cm is worth it.
"Secure men can date tall women.. just saying'" - tweet from Helen Yee

SuchLL

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2020, 05:33:16 PM »

Oct 7, day 22: I had my first x-ray today. The x-ray showed that the nails were lengthened by 2 cm, but I only did lengthening for 15 days. The doctor said that the x-ray wasn’t very accurate and they would have a more accurate measurement at the end, but my x-ray looked really good. Today I also weighed myself and I haven’t lost a single pound lol... It’s probably because I force myself to eat when I don’t have good appetite. My right leg/butt is strong and I can even stand on my right leg and keep good balance. I can’t do it with my left leg though.

Oct 13, day 28: Sorry for not updating daily since everything is going well except one of my incisions turned red two days ago. People at Paley’s institute are really careful and responsible. They sent me antibiotics right away and booked an appointment for me to check my incision to make sure that nothing went wrong. I’m still super flexible. The post surgery pain is gone, and the muscle soreness can often be managed by ice/heat/shower. Right now I only take pain meds (Tylenol) before going out and before bedtime.

BelowTheMean

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2020, 07:12:42 PM »

Great update. It seems like you're into that "middle part" of lengthening after surgical pains and before any soft tissue stretching issues come up.

SuchLL

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2020, 08:12:50 PM »

Oct 16, day 31: I woke up with bad knee pain (left knee). It hurt when I bent it. PT taped my knee to help support it. The pain was gone in the afternoon, but I will still leave the tape on until the skin becomes itchy.

Oct 17, day 32: I can’t believe one month has passed... I finally stopped taking any pain meds today!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up