Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Documentary Film: Short and Male (2008)  (Read 1037 times)

Bane

Documentary Film: Short and Male (2008)
« on: October 17, 2020, 06:03:06 AM »

Did anyone watch this 54 minute documentary film, which came out in 2008: Short and Male
It shows how short adult men, typically under 5'6", in the US and abroad, including China, endure and attempt to fight heightism.

https://vimeo.com/6780321

Bane

Re: Documentary Film: Short and Male (2008)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 04:22:06 PM »

Adding my comment to move this topic up in the page. It's an older movie, released in 2008 and the footage taken in a time span of a few years before the release date, but the reality of heightism still remains in effect in 2020 and beyond.

Movie

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 06:59:49 PM »

interesting documentary, I wonder how the middle eastern guy who did CLL is doing now.
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

Bane

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 07:33:57 PM »

The guy who did CLL is Akash Shukla. He's Indian and 'grew' from 4'11.5" to 5'2" with the dreaded Ilizarov external fixator, because that's all they had in 2005. I remembered reading an article a few years ago (I think it was 2017) on him, that he married a 5'0" Indian woman. There was a video of them in their wedding reception dancing. I cannot find that article or video anymore, but Akash is now married, in his mid-30s, and works as an engineer.

germanlim

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 09:41:33 PM »

We all can be happy that there is the stryde nail when we See this video

Hatch

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 09:42:43 PM »

The guy who did CLL is Akash Shukla. He's Indian and 'grew' from 4'11.5" to 5'2" with the dreaded Ilizarov external fixator, because that's all they had in 2005. I remembered reading an article a few years ago (I think it was 2017) on him, that he married a 5'0" Indian woman. There was a video of them in their wedding reception dancing. I cannot find that article or video anymore, but Akash is now married, in his mid-30s, and works as an engineer.

He seem to be in bad pain most of the time. Cant he take pain killers or why is that? And please say that pain with stryde is nothing like that.

germanlim

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 09:46:22 PM »

No stryde is not such a horrible pain

Bane

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 09:52:59 PM »

Much of the pain from external fixators (EF) comes from the pins attached from the EF to the bone. Infections are a big problem, and as the patient lengthens, the pins tear through your skin and muscles. That’s why it’s painful.

Internal rods do not have these problems, so many internal rod patients report the pain as low to medium, and manageable.

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 08:34:41 AM »

First time I saw it years ago. You must be new to this height thing.

I'm still not sure if this film is more of a documentary or comedy.

But I like the Tom Rubin character in particular.

Body Builder

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 08:47:41 AM »

Much of the pain from external fixators (EF) comes from the pins attached from the EF to the bone. Infections are a big problem, and as the patient lengthens, the pins tear through your skin and muscles. That’s why it’s painful.

Internal rods do not have these problems, so many internal rod patients report the pain as low to medium, and manageable.
I did LL with monorails which have pins way bigger than Ilizarovs.
Still my LL was almost completely pain free. I haven't even taken any painkiller except from the first 4-5 days after surgery.

Internals are way more painful than externals on tibias. On femurs externals is a joke.

Astronomy

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 06:43:06 PM »

crap man.This documentary itself is the biggest fking heightism for short adults.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 05:30:02 AM »

Thanks for posting this.  Can't believe I never knew about it before, especially since that's where I got LL.  It's kind of cool to see video of the old hospital.  That's all that's left of it, since it got torn down. :(

The Chinese patient they interviewed didn't have enough money for the surgery, but he got it done anyway.  I don't know if he told them up front or just couldn't pay the bill after, but he was working off his debt as an employee while I was there.  Maybe some people thought he looked good/western, but a Chinese girl patient there said he looked like he had chicken legs and t-rex arms from lengthening too much. ;D

And the foreign patient they interviewed was none other than old forum Admin. :o

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 07:40:14 AM »

I first heard of this when a classmate at the end of high school hung next to the chalk board a newspaper clip of the main guy with the quote "I'm short, horny and pissed!", then wrote on top of it "Kilokahn in 20 years."

Ended up watching it a year later.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

precice strider

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 09:39:55 PM »

I first heard of this when a classmate at the end of high school hung next to the chalk board a newspaper clip of the main guy with the quote "I'm short, horny and pissed!", then wrote on top of it "Kilokahn in 20 years."

Ended up watching it a year later.

Wow, that's so mean. I'm assuming they used your real name. Did they know you were self-conscious?
Height dysphoria since 2008. (age 5)
Hoping to undergo STRYDE 8cm femurs when I can afford it.
164 cm with a wingspan of 166cm
Goal: 5'7.5 (172+) or taller, but hopefully 5'8 (173)
https://www.instagram.com/precice_strider/

Bane

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 10:51:57 PM »

Some more information about Short and Male (at least what I know).

The first website about heightism was www.shortsupport.org (no longer operational). It was run until 2011 by Steven Goldsmith (5'2" , the middle guy in the elevator shot of the 3 NOSSA members here). shortsupport.org was a rather bland website, but became the first website to address heightism and be a helpful resource for shorter people. It did have a section on cosmetic leg lengthening with the external fixator, the decade (2000-2009) when CLL was relatively new. This CLL section drew a lot of interest and traffic, not just shorter people, but also taller adults, especially those in the below average to average range.

After shortsupport.org went down, Joe Mangano (5'4" guy in the documentary) started a new website: www.supportfortheshort.org . It was a more "in your face" and "unconventional" approach to fighting heightism. Joe is also opposed to CLL, so you won't find anything helpful on CLL there. The last time it was updated was in early 2020, so I'm not sure if it's still running anymore.

supportfortheshort.org has some information on the cast of Short and Male, mostly summarized in this webpage: www.supportfortheshort.org/nossa-files.html
NOSSA (National Organization for Short Statured Adults) was founded in 2005 and got some publicity from Short and Male, and may have exceeded 50 members at it's peak. But interest declined and by 2011 it was effectively dead, and officially dissolved in 2013. Joe Mangano sure has a grudge against the former president of NOSSA, Matt Campisi, as Joe exposes Matt's corrupt and criminal history. Also, Matt Campisi's real height is 5'5" (not 5'6" as stated in the film) - people lie about their height on dating sites and also on the media.

Short and Male also did produce a few somewhat popular catch phrases, like "I'm short, horny, and pissed" and "A short guy who's sensitive is in deep sh*t". Also, the guy who 'grew' from 4'11.5" to 5'2" with CLL in 2005 is Akash Shukla. He eventually married a 5'0" Indian woman in 2017 (see my post a few posts up for more details). I do feel one reason the NOSSA guys messed up was that they ignored the short women. There is a lot of interest among women fighting heightism, as women are 4 to 5 inches shorter on average than men. Short women may not experience dating discrimination as bad, but definitely face height discrimination in the job market more severely. It's also the best chance for short men to find a date with short women. But the NOSSA guys only focused on short men with a chauvinist attitude and literally excluded all short women.

I'm also curious what happened to the young child Graham who was getting HGH shots. He would be an adult by now, but I cannot find any information on him.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 12:17:52 AM by Stryder2021 »

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2020, 04:34:43 AM »

I'm curious how Tom's doing nowadays.

Bane

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 06:40:51 PM »

I'm curious how Tom's doing nowadays.

If you search "tom rubin beverly hills" or something similar, Tom Rubin has his own law firm in Beverly Hills, CA. You can find his LinkedIn profile, which states he started his own law firm since January 2012. From 2014 to 2016, he wrote a self help book about overcoming failures, and did a comedy routine on it in Las Vegas, but the reviews on his Las Vegas comedy show were not good (search "tom rubin las vegas").

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2020, 07:32:17 PM »

If you search "tom rubin beverly hills" or something similar, Tom Rubin has his own law firm in Beverly Hills, CA. You can find his LinkedIn profile, which states he started his own law firm since January 2012. From 2014 to 2016, he wrote a self help book about overcoming failures, and did a comedy routine on it in Las Vegas, but the reviews on his Las Vegas comedy show were not good (search "tom rubin las vegas").

Haha that's true

https://www.stage32.com/profile/248375/about
Pages: [1]   Go Up