Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing height- Programdude's Precice 2 Internal femurs with Dr. Paley  (Read 240704 times)

shortkid

Re: Installing height- Programdude's Precice 2 Internal femurs with Dr. Paley
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2014, 04:27:18 AM »

How old are the new patients?

programdude

« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2014, 04:35:55 AM »

ranges from 20 to 50 it seems. I've met a few of them, very nice people. I was told by another patient theres a few in the hospital that are coming to the hotel soon, one who apparently wants to meet me when he's out.

So far with the exception of one girl who deliberately seems to want to avoid people, every single patient I've met is social and quite nice.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

shortkid

« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2014, 07:35:21 AM »

Damn seems like it would have been a good time to do it then.

programdude

« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2014, 01:01:50 PM »

I get the impression theres always a lot of patients, and as awareness spreads I'm sure there will be even more. It sounded like earlier in summer there were even more too, as Paley said thats his busy season.
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Taller

« Reply #190 on: October 10, 2014, 04:00:46 AM »

Hey Programdude. Is your femur longer than your torso when you sit down and look at them from the side? What pant inseam fits you best at 5'11? Would you happen to know your sitting height? How far down on your new femurs do your hands reach down to when you stand up?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to get a sense of what looks good proportionally after LL. I'm still going to do LL anyways (just tryin to get enough money for a good doc at the moment), but I'm just curious.

programdude

« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2014, 04:06:11 AM »

I haven't looked particularly but yeah my femurs probably similar to my torso. Kinda hard to tell with my bit of duckass. Remember I can't exactly stand up unaided to try the hand experiment and have the duckass, but before they went down with my fingers past my kneecaps. Now when I lie flat they are about above the knee which looks much better. Not sure about the numbers you're asking for though since Im just wearing loose shorts at the moment and never cared to measure seated height.

Taller

« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2014, 04:14:48 AM »

Wow, you still have long arms relative to your body, which looks very good in moderation. It sounds like you were meant for leg lengthening. Cheers!

Personally, my femurs seem about 2-4CM shorter than my torso when I sit down. I'm kind of annoyed that they'll probably be longer than my torso after lengthening but console myself with the idea that most people probably won't notice or care.

My fingers only reach about halfway down my femurs as it is. After lengthening, it would likely be only a third of the way down. I have really broad shoulders for my height and a slim waist though, so hopefully I won't appear disproportionate to most people.

programdude

« Reply #193 on: October 10, 2014, 12:41:58 PM »

Wow only halfway down? I didn't realize my arm length was THAT ridiculous compared to others.

I really don't think people will notice anything off for the average femur lengthener though.

programdude

« Reply #194 on: October 16, 2014, 10:41:33 PM »

So today marks exactly 3 months I've been in West Palm, and its the end of the road.... Sort of. Got my x rays taken today and was seen by a PA I haven't seen since the beginning. He gave me grief about removing my wheelchairs leg supports that would keep my legs straight and went to test my range of motion and was echoing the basics of how important it is to keep your legs straight even after I told him I just used the wheelchair when I had to use the van for last 1 CM. I found that weird and told him I was at 8 CM at which point he said "oh. Nevermind I retract everything I just said, you're doing incredible to have that ROM".

Unfortunately when he tried to open the X rays the system was too slow, so he went to check on it in the offices computer which was the only working one. Much later he comes back and says he measured me at 8, but the computer still can't display them so he asks me to wait more, was nice enough to extend lunch to me, though it ended up being for naught since two hours later they were down and I ended up scheduling for tomorrow morning.

So the suspense builds, but it sounds like everything is where it should be. He said ROM measurements and bone growth are the main things they look at both of which were great for me.

programdude

« Reply #195 on: October 17, 2014, 06:33:24 PM »

Attached is my final X ray at 8 CM. Feels great to be officially done with the hardest part, and slowly be getting more restorative sleep. I am pretty loose aside from hip flexors and as a result have duckass I need to work on.

Now the last thing I need to decide is if I am going home or not. Since there is no guarantee I will be consolidated in a month, I think I may just want to say I fractured my legs doing... Something?... And just tell my roommates not to tell anyone Im back in the meanwhile. The idea of staying here for a month let alone two is pretty unappealing after all.

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #196 on: October 17, 2014, 07:46:41 PM »

Congratulations, man. For those on the forum, I had the chance to meet with program dude for a bit and I can attest to the fact he looks entirely normal after 8cm and indeed does have a large wing span for his height. Other than the atrophy and your duck ass, you should be back on your feet in due time. I wasn't a big fan of West Palm Beach either, and I only spent one night. If I were you I'd probably go back ASAP as well.

It's unfortunate Paley operates out of West Palm and not some other more attractive city in Florida. His hospital is nice, but it's not spectacular or out of the ordinary. For the price he commands, I was expecting more than what I came to see. It's pretty much like any run of the mill hospital in the USA . His surgical skill is probably the only thing that he has leverage on compared to other first world doctors. Of course, that is the most important factor in this procedure.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

Greek-Semidget

« Reply #197 on: October 17, 2014, 08:15:33 PM »

Congratulations, man. For those on the forum, I had the chance to meet with program dude for a bit and I can attest to the fact he looks entirely normal after 8cm and indeed does have a large wing span for his height. Other than the atrophy and your duck ass, you should be back on your feet in due time. I wasn't a big fan of West Palm Beach either, and I only spent one night. If I were you I'd probably go back ASAP as well.

It's unfortunate Paley operates out of West Palm and not some other more attractive city in Florida. His hospital is nice, but it's not spectacular or out of the ordinary. For the price he commands, I was expecting more than what I came to see. It's pretty much like any run of the mill hospital in the USA . His surgical skill is probably the only thing that he has leverage on compared to other first world doctors. Of course, that is the most important factor in this procedure.
ohh that's great
Current height 5'8 Future height: 5'11 . 3 inch gain tibias in Russia.

programdude

« Reply #198 on: October 17, 2014, 09:11:22 PM »

I think thats a bit of a superficial evaluation and are overlooking the PT center, which is the biggest upside of Paley next to his skills, and a very significant one. I think the hospital itself is pretty much a non factor since you spend only a couple of days there and they are perfectly fine.

While West Palm gets boring with no legs, and the immediate areas not great, anywhere gets old in the same circumstances. The perk of the area is the living costs, which as you mentioned are favorable even when compared to india. Personally, I would much prefer him operating out of WPB than a more expensive area since during this process, since a lot of your stay is spent inside regardless, and I'm guessing all but those with no budgetary concerns would probably agree.

If one is to go down the path of internals I definitely think Paley is by far the best choice. I've said it before, but I think most people forget that PT and equipment etc. is included in the price, so the price difference with him and other first world dr.'s really isn't that steep.

I dont blame you for your first impression though. My first time coming here for my consultation I was pretty unimpressed as well on an aesthetic level and sort of thought "this is it?".

Was good to meet you and see quite a success come out of India. I can attest to your proportions and walking being great as well. Didn't even notice at first.

BTW, of interest it sounds like there are plans for Paley to open a center in Mexico as well to get prices down approx 20k. The struggle sounds like getting PT to the level of the current establishment. In general it sounds like Paley is looking to expand and become more mainstream, as I was interviewed along with others on how to improve operations, and separately by a web designer who showed me the new much more polished website they are working on. They are also redoing the whole waiting room area of the institute. It seemed pretty clear to me that he aims to plant his flag firmly as the top dr. as awareness spreads about the surgery and it becomes more mainstream.

Polycrates.

« Reply #199 on: October 17, 2014, 09:57:19 PM »

Yeah,

I should have been more specific in my post that I was by no means put off by what I saw. It's just that I held in my mind an unrealistic view of how spectacular Dr. Paley's institution and accommodation set up would be and I was brought back to reality when I found it all to be still of this world, if that makes sense. It's important to note I never got access into the PT centre or the opportunity to meet Paley unfortunately, but from some of the deformities he is helping to correct that I saw coming out of the clinic in the brief time I was there, it is obvious that cosmetic LL is an absolute breeze in comparison for him.

I really hope Paley succeeds in opening a practice in Mexico. I've lived there for a brief time and know how much cheaper all facets of living are. The country can be safe under the right circumstances (keep out of anything related to oil or drugs) and most people there are nice and well intended. If he can do that and get the cost of a package to under 80kUSD, then future lengtheners will be in for a real treat.

Thanks again for the kind compliments. I've been doing a lot of walking and stretching since I posted my first videos. For those interested in my progress, I'm going to attempt some running and other activities and will probably have some videos available by the new year.
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

programdude

« Reply #200 on: October 17, 2014, 10:15:45 PM »

If by package you mean including accommodations etc, then yea. If you mean for just surgery and PT then it would still be better just to come here for the more experienced PT. But yeah, I think its a great idea if he can get it to a price similar to other internal dr.'s, though because of how busy the man is, I'm sure there will always be at least a slight premium to pay.

Polycrates.

« Reply #201 on: October 17, 2014, 10:24:31 PM »

Yeah, a package that's all inclusive would be ideal and is what I meant. It's a guarantee he'd have a huge influx of patients as virtually all people go elsewhere based solely on the price factor. It's good he wants to change this limitation however possible.

programdude

« Reply #202 on: October 18, 2014, 02:19:07 AM »

I think the future may hold that, although by the time it happens Im sure inflation will have tampered with the numbers a bit. Im also wondering what the precice 3 will cost since Im assuming Paley will move exclusively to that when its released. I'd hope its comparable price, since really the precice 2 is pretty good IMO and a huge price hike for better weight bearing wouldn't be the best direction for most people.

programdude

« Reply #203 on: October 21, 2014, 01:35:24 AM »

Returned my machine and am leaving tomorrow morning! Will be one day before 3 months post op.

programdude

« Reply #204 on: October 22, 2014, 12:18:47 AM »

So I'm back home in one piece. Seeing my roommates(two of them picked me up from a bus stop from the airport) was good, and their initial reaction to me on a walker was priceless. They fluctuated from thinking it was a joke, to sudden concern I was paralyzed or seriously impaired, to laughing their asses off with me when they realized I was in good spirits. The houses new game seems to be trying to guess what happened to me. Even with my horrible posture and without shoes I immediately noticed I'm distinctly taller than my friend who was just slightly shorter than me and taller than my friend who was previously notably taller, so maybe they'll get it, but I doubt it.

Really really good to actually be home, even though my rooms now a mess. Gonna try and stock up on supplies tonight and hermit it up for the next few weeks. Trying to not let it out that I'm back until consolidation at least.

I'll go over the flying process, because I am sure many people here don't really know what to expect from traveling handicapped.

As helpful as the airline people are, flying was an utterly miserable experience for me. I didn't get sleep, since packing and getting set for departure was a pretty big process and I was also anxious to get out of there on time. I left early so the drive was smooth, and the curb side assistance got me in the wheelchair and was extremely friendly while checking me and my bags/walker/crutches in. Boarded without much of a problem, although they had a bit of a difficulty understanding my exact limitations of being able to walk, but needing aid- Ultimately they got me on an aisle wheelchair and wheeled me next to my seat and I just climbed over into it. The flight was pretty standard, with the main exception of my legs getting tight, and even more so, my weak atrophied butt/bones getting really sore At least a dozen times it was so unbearable I had to lift my butt by doing a dip in my seat for relief. I was very very fortunate that the flight was ahead of schedule and only 2 1/2 hours as opposed to many others like my friend from hong kong who must have nearly been flying all day.

Even so, it was pretty unpleasant, and I had to wait for the plane to empty to be helped off, then sit around while they buzzed about trying to find my misplaced crutches. This time the person helping with my wheelchair was dead silent and not sociable which would have been more awkward if I wasn't exhausted, uncomfortable, and holding in a massive piss. The bus that took me to where my roomies were had a wheelchair lift that literally took the guy 10 minutes to get working and 20 minutes to put away, all while a horrible siren went off from it. Being very independent the whole airport experience(and especially this) annoyed me since even though it was the guys incompetence, it was me and my legs causing the delay in general. They helped me off easy enough and put my bags by the bench I indicated and bam- 97 days, 110k, and an incredible amount of pain and gain later, and I'm home sweet home.

What a journey this has all been.

Taller

« Reply #205 on: October 22, 2014, 01:00:51 AM »

What an update that has been!

And now begins the most enjoyable part of your story: recovering and enjoying all the benefits your new height and, more importantly, your new and confident height-neurosis-free mind, have to offer.

Congrats on your truly remarkable journey.

programdude

« Reply #206 on: October 22, 2014, 01:12:34 AM »

What an update that has been!

And now begins the most enjoyable part of your story: recovering and enjoying all the benefits your new height and, more importantly, your new and confident height-neurosis-free mind, have to offer.

Congrats on your truly remarkable journey.

Thank you! As of now my only concern is duckass. Everything else is pretty great, and honestly I don't mind just taking it easy for consolidation.

shortkid

« Reply #207 on: October 22, 2014, 01:19:15 AM »

Oh man I can only imagine how happy you are to finally be back home! Hope your recovery goes smoothly! Do you know what your final tibia to femur ratio was?

programdude

« Reply #208 on: October 22, 2014, 01:46:48 AM »

All I know is I was told if I did about two more inches I'd have perfect proportion between them.

programdude

« Reply #209 on: October 24, 2014, 04:25:23 PM »

Good news and bad. The good news is that my aches have gone away totally within the past few days and that my sleep is completely normal and uninterrupted. The bad news is my left leg in particular is hurting around where the bones growing back. Its not that bad at all though(only feel it when I move occasionally), and I'm guessing its just from all the growth going on there.

Aventus

• Visitor
« Reply #210 on: October 28, 2014, 04:07:42 PM »

Hi programdude,

I have been following your progress. First of all congrats on the completion of a very trying process. I am new leg lengthening and have been doing quite a bit of research. Our stats are very similar so hopefully you can answer some questions for me. I am definitely going with Dr. Paley with the precice 2 internal rod.

I am in my late 20's, very good shape, and slightly below 5'8''. I would like to hit min 5'10'' and ideally 5'11 for a gain of 76mm. I am currently in medical school so unfortunately time is my biggest constraint. I am basically going to only have somewhere in the middle of april to july 1st when my residency starts so around 2.5months. I understand 1mm increase per day=76 days of lengthening=2.5months roughly. So I basically finish lengthening and then have to go to work. Is this possible? Will I be able to walk around with crutches at work all day during the consolidation period? I am going contact Dr. Paley soon to get some specifics but I wanted to ask and other members who have knowledge of precise2 to if something like this is even feasible before I get my heart set on it.

programdude

« Reply #211 on: October 28, 2014, 05:38:17 PM »

Hey man. The good news is yes using crutches or a walker is quite possible during consolidation(assuming you aren't too over weight bearing). One thing you need to consider though is that you may have duck ass during that phase- if you are trying to keep the nature of the reason for the crutches a secret. If doing this is important to you like it was to me, I'd say you could certainly do it- and that duck ass might be a good way to not be as obvious about the height gain. A lot of people say you are tightest near the end but that wasn't true at all for me. But in the even you were close to the goal and getting real tight you could just stop and get stretched to resolve it before you return since you are willing to budge a little on the result.

Speaking of people noticing in a combination of one of my friends being a dr. and me being suddenly taller than my 5 11 friend somehow, all my roomies are aware lol.

Taller

« Reply #212 on: October 28, 2014, 09:53:35 PM »

Yikes! So they know that you got LL? And how did you become taller than 5'11 and manage lengthen more than 8CM if you started under 5'8?

I guess that your doctor friend must have fully figured out that you got LL. It's not hard to put 2 and 2 together here. What were their reactions to the revelation?

programdude

« Reply #213 on: October 29, 2014, 12:44:14 PM »

Yikes! So they know that you got LL? And how did you become taller than 5'11 and manage lengthen more than 8CM if you started under 5'8?

I guess that your doctor friend must have fully figured out that you got LL. It's not hard to put 2 and 2 together here. What were their reactions to the revelation?

I never really cared if they knew. Main concern was no one else knowing I was back. I don't think its as plainly obvious if you don't have two broken legs(which was the giveaway). Everyone but the dr. slowly realized so the reactions were more subdued disbelief than overblown shock. Reactions were all fun and positive though.

Not sure how I'm taller than him. Either his measurements or my starting height aren't accurate. Either way I'm happy.

Plzen

« Reply #214 on: October 30, 2014, 08:03:02 PM »

PD,
How is life back at home? Do you think it is tougher or easier? I am not asking mentally, I am asking day to day stuff (like taking showers, laundry etc.).  Is your bathroom modified for handicap people? I assume it is tough to sit and then stand up from toilet. Also the same as getting in and getting out of shower. Do you use walker or crutches at home?
Congratulation on your new height.

programdude

« Reply #215 on: October 30, 2014, 08:46:21 PM »

The bathroom in my bedroom is kind of slow to get into since the door is narrow for the walker, but sitting is easy. I feel like a totally normal person who just has to impose limits on myself for the safety of the nail- aside from some occasional very minor discomfort and the general bit of weakness from atrophy. The shower isn't great, but because I'm basically normal, its not hard to transfer myself into the bath tub at all.

I went out to an appointment today and managed fine. Other than needing to stay low key in town and some minor things like reheating food being hard etc. things really aren't bad at all. This is by FAR the best part of the LL process as my sleep is fantastic finally, sleeping 10 hours at times. I can really tell those now who are suffering through LL- the process DOES end, and it gets so much better. Pretty fast too.

Its weird sitting here with my friends and just living life. Already all the suffering and difficulties are like a pretty distant memory. Before long I can already feel that life is gonna get back into its rhythm again- Only with me very noticeably taller.

KrP1

« Reply #216 on: November 16, 2014, 09:25:26 PM »

so you legthened 8cm in less than 3 months, are you weightbearing now? , how much time post op to weigthbear? can you post some pictures of your legs to see your proportions femur/tibia?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:26:41 PM by KirP1 »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21   Go Up