Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Mangal Parihar (Mumbai India)- Mangal Anand Hospital  (Read 120282 times)

Muse

Dr Mangal Parihar (Mumbai India)- Mangal Anand Hospital
« on: October 10, 2013, 07:54:35 PM »

Doctor information and response from Mangal Anand Center for Limb Lengthening & Reconstruction, located in Mumbai, India. Contact them for specific information and latest updates.
Note: Please refer to our disclaimer about the Doctors Directory http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=55.0

Background, Training and Qualifications:

Dr. Mangal Parihar is an Orthopedic Surgeon, whose area of specialization includes Deformity Correction, Limb Lengthening using Ilizarov techniques and Orthofix fixators and Joint Replacement.

Dr. Parihar’s reputation and expertise extends equally to children and adults in the diagnosis and treatment of special orthopedic conditions including congenital limb deformities, post-traumatic limb conditions, bone healing problems, bone defects, skeletal dysplasias, metabolic disorders, foot deformities, peripheral nerve disorders, and other miscellaneous developmental deformities. For the past many years, Dr. Parihar has dedicated his career to improving the lives of patients with limb disorders.

He has performed numerous limb reconstruction surgeries using some of the most advanced surgical methods used for lengthening and deformity correction. He is the leading reconstruction orthopedic surgeon in the country and holds an acclaimed presence amongst his peers. He regularly receives referrals from across the country and overseas, for problems that have not resolved with conventional orthopedic surgery. He is constantly updating himself with the latest techniques to bring the best to the patient. Recently, he has been instrumental in bringing Hexapod — the six-axis correction system to India, which has revolutionized the world of deformity correction and limb reconstruction.

Dr. Parihar's expertise includes performing the whole gamut of orthopedic surgeries; be it soft tissue surgeries, or internal or external fixation for fractures, or internal or external fixation for deformity correction and limb reconstruction, or combined internal and external fixation for limb lengthening and reconstruction, or joint reconstruction using external fixation or joint replacement.

The surgeries are performed using state-of-the art equipment and techniques, with the utmost care for the soft tissue using minimally invasive techniques especially minimally invasive osteotomies. Dr. Parihar has popularized the Fixator Assisted HTO — a minimally invasive technique for precise correction of alignment in osteoarthritis of the knee, and intra-articular osteotomy for treatment of malunited proximal tibial fractures.

Qualifications:
Undergraduate and Postgraduate training at Seth G S. Medical College and KEM Hospital, Bombay
MBBS: University of Bombay (1984)
MS (Orth): University of Bombay (1988)

Hon. Orthopedic Surgeon
- Sir. H.N. Hospital
- Fortis Hospital
- Police Hospital, Nagpada

Academic Honors:
First in the University at the Final MBBS exam of June 1984
MS (Orth) at first attempt in July 1988

Fellowship and Specialized Training:
Visiting Orthopedic Fellow, Total Joint Arthroplasty
with Dr. C. S. Ranawat; at Hospital for Special Surgery (sponsored by the Ranawat Orthopedic Research Foundation), New York, USA (10/15/93 - 1/15/94)

Post-Doctoral Fellow, Ilizarov Techniques
with Dr. Dror Paley at the Maryland Center for Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction, Baltimore, USA (1/8/92 - 2/28/93)

Registrar, Orthopedics
Blackburn Royal Infirmary, Blackburn, England (1/8/91 - 7/31/92)

Clinical Training:
Registrar, Orthopedics
Seth G. S. Medical College and K. E. M. Hospital, Bombay (1/8/87 - 7/31/89)

House Surgeon, Orthopedics
Seth G. S. Medical College and K.E.M. Hospital, Bombay (1/8/85 - 7/31/87)

Rotating Internship
in Medicine, Surgery, Gynae and Obstetrics, Seth G. S. Medical College and KEM Hospital, Bombay (6/25/84 - 6/24/85)

Academic Staff Appointments:
Lecturer, Orthopedics; Seth G S. Medical College and KEM Hospital, Bombay (11/24/89 - 3/15/91)

Hon. Assistant Professor, Orthopedic Surgery, Sir J.J. Group of Hospitals & Grant Medical College

Examiner, Orthopedic section Third MBBS Examination, University of Bombay

Professional Memberships
Vice President (2014), ASAMI (Association for Study & Applications of the Methods of Ilizarov), India.

Executive committee member, BOS (Bombay Orthopedic Society) 1998 - 2001

Life Member, Indian Orthopedic Association (IOA), Pediatric Orthopedic Society of India (POSI), & Bombay Orthopedic Society (BOS)

Here's the response from Dr Mangal Parihar about  Limb Lengthening surgery

1) How many patients have you operated for cosmetic Limb Lengthening so far and How many patients do you operate yearly?

10 up to now. about 1 or 2 a year.

2) What is the estimated total cost, including post-op treatments, stay, medications, physiotherapy? Are unscheduled surgeries covered and How much does a consultation cost?

The overall costs for the procedure come to around Indian Rupees 9,00,000/-(Rupees nine hundred thousand). This includes the hospital stay, professional fees while in the hospital, the cost of the ring fixators and the nails. The stay after discharge has to be in a hotel (rates can vary from Rs3000-7000/- per day).

3) What kind of physical therapy is assigned to the patient?

All patients have been local, they usually continue with physio at their residence. For non locals, you could have a therapist visit you.

4) What maximum amount of lengthening do you recommend per segment, regarding patient safety? What is the daily rate of lengthening?

Max 6 cms. daily rate 0.75 to 1 mm, depending on pain and muscle tightness.

5)  What are your opinions regarding the weightbearing of the patients?

i am not a big fan of walking while the distraction is going on. patients are allowed bed to chair transfers, bed to toilet, and standing while distracting. i don't encourage walking. after the nails are locked, in the early period they are not strong enough to take full weight, so again about 4 weeks of protected weight bearing, and increase weight bearing as the X-rays show progress in healing.

6)  How often will you follow up with patients during lengthening?

patients stay in mumbai during the distraction phase, and i see them in clinic every 2 weeks. if any problems, i see them at shorter intervals.

7) How fast can patients return to normal life (walking without support)?  What is the time required to lengthen 5 cm and 7.5-8 cm ?
in my experience, none of the patients have been walking without support before 6 months. (thought they may get onto a single stick by 4 months or so)

Dr Mangal Parihar
Orthopedic Surgeon
Tel: +91-22-2522 4845 / 022-2526 0000.
Fax: +91-22-2523 5416
Email: info@ilizarov.in

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:00:53 AM by Admin »

TomD

• Private
Re: Dr Mangal Parihar (Mumbai India)- Mangal Anand Hospital
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 08:12:58 PM »

Great post.

US dollar = 61.30 Rupees

Euro = 83.04 Rupees

900,000 Rupees / 61.30 = $14861

900,000 /83.04 = 10838 Euros

Price seems reasonable. He only takes 2 people per year?  :o

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 09:18:06 PM »

Ah, good to see Dr. Parihar on the list. He's one of the Indian docs I think people can be sure isn't a quack. He's trained under Dr. Paley.

One thing to remember is that due to lack of accommodation, if you are there for 5 months you may spend an additional $7,500 - $15,000 just on a hotel. So the cost will be between $20,000 - $30,000, not including all the other stuff you may need.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 09:22:59 PM by Kilokahn »
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

TomD

• Private
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 12:44:23 AM »

Too bad we cant get any patient testimonials for him.

If one did go , cant they rent a flat for a lot less than a hotel?  ???

Sweden

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 01:22:41 AM »

To rent a flat is easy and almost free if you compare to a hotel. Physios are cheap too.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

Carter

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 01:26:34 AM »

Hotel is expensive if you stay for months (applies anywhere in the world). But if you rent a room or apartment in india, it'll be much cheaper. 

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 02:12:09 AM »

To rent a flat is easy and almost free if you compare to a hotel. Physios are cheap too.

From what my friend in India tells me, it's much more difficult to rent a flat or apartment in India than in other places if you don't have a local to vouch for you, so most foreigners opt for staying in hotels. My old professor is from India as well and she told me the same thing when I expressed interest in staying in India. Apparently, many Indian landlords have certain rules you're expected to follow unless you want to get evicted, such as no alcohol, no eating meat, no staying out past a certain hour, no males and females staying together, etc. Many won't rent to foreigners, period. If someone were to decide to go to Dr. Parihar, it's best to have someone in Mumbai you can stay with, or see if the doctor can help arrange something or connect you with someone willing to rent.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:19:56 AM by Kilokahn »

alps

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 12:12:35 PM »

He doesn't seem to be persuasive about gaining patients which is a good thing.

But however, he doesn't provide any physiotherapy options himself. He doesn't seem to stress the need of physiotherapy.
You "could" have a therapist visit you? :o

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 05:24:15 PM »

He doesn't seem to be persuasive about gaining patients which is a good thing.

But however, he doesn't provide any physiotherapy options himself. He doesn't seem to stress the need of physiotherapy.
You "could" have a therapist visit you? :o

He does realize the importance of physiotherapy.

"Much is spoken about physiotherapy and it's importance in the Ilizarov method. Unfortunately, this is infrequently translated into practice. One just has to look at many cases with iatrogenic problems to realize that lack of physiotherapy lies at the root of the majority of these. The patient has to participate in a proper program of exercises, mobilization and ambulation. This cannot be stressed enough. Lack of proper physiotherapy can turn even the technically excellent surgery into a poor result, and nowhere is this more true than in the subspecialty of Ilizarov surgery. In fact Ilizarov's original technique requires the patients to stay in hospital and participate in at least two hours of therapy in various forms every day. In our circumstances, the services of a physiotherapist are not always available. The only recourse in such cases is for the surgeon himself to supervise the therapy for the patient. Achieving length or correcting a deformity at the cost of decreased motion, mobility or function is certainly not a worthwhile goal."

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=22.0

alps

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 08:21:06 PM »

Yeah, but his reply to Daemon doesn't indicate the importance of PT.

Adriano

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 08:23:16 AM »

PT is overated especially for tibia LL.

from what i can see in LL patients experiences, it appears stading and walking during distraction are the most important.
So how hard is it to add those 2 or atleast just standing to what ever cheap PT u will have.

I dont think it is that hard.
As long as my doctor is good with the surgery I'm happy. all i have to do is put up with the frame, turn the nut/bolts every day to distract and then stand as much as i can.

the other stuff can be done by any PT since its only massaging and stretching which  only helps relief pain and lossen tendons. I see it as temporary relief that helps u lengthen more. If u really want to combat balerina iu are going to have to walk or atlest stand a lot while lengthening. and u dont need a fancy PT for that.

For femurs then yes u need a good PT because pf the many muscles that r involed when u lengthen.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 03:37:33 PM »

PT is overated especially for tibia LL.

from what i can see in LL patients experiences, it appears stading and walking during distraction are the most important.
So how hard is it to add those 2 or atleast just standing to what ever cheap PT u will have.

I dont think it is that hard.
As long as my doctor is good with the surgery I'm happy. all i have to do is put up with the frame, turn the nut/bolts every day to distract and then stand as much as i can.

the other stuff can be done by any PT since its only massaging and stretching which  only helps relief pain and lossen tendons. I see it as temporary relief that helps u lengthen more. If u really want to combat balerina iu are going to have to walk or atlest stand a lot while lengthening. and u dont need a fancy PT for that.

For femurs then yes u need a good PT because pf the many muscles that r involed when u lengthen.

Agreed.  I did almost no PT in Beijing and the end result was fine.  Most of us thought the physical therapists there weren't helpful and we stopped going to them.  By the time I left, they'd been let go by the hospital.  When I came back a year later for my internal nail removal, the PT room was half its old size (they built a wall to turn it into 2 rooms; I don't know what they did with the other half) and was unstaffed.  There was equipment for you to use on your own, if you could find where the light switch was.  ;D

The most important thing during lengthening is standing.  That fights ballerina foot and stimulates bone growth.  Once you're done, the most important thing is walking.  Walk a lot and your body will eventually adjust to your new bone length.  I walked at least 2 hours a day for several months after my LL.  Even after that I'd try to fit long walks into my schedule whenever I could for another couple of years.

I'm really impressed by Dr. Parihar's philosophy of being conservative about physical activity.  Take it easy in the hospital: moving around a lot in the fixators can cause problems.  Take it easy when you first get out of the hospital: if you put too much pressure on your legs before the bone has fused with the IM nail's screws, that can cause problems that'll send you BACK to the hospital after you thought you were done.  Some people in Beijing with me had to learn these lessons the hard way.

Sweden

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 05:40:14 PM »

Agreed. The physio at Dr Sarin was totally useless. Today it's more than 6 months after frame removal and I'm still suffering like crazy from ballerina.

Standing is the most important thing!
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 06:08:47 PM »

There's no magic treatment they can do for you during the distraction phase that'll make your legs come out as a finished product when you're released from the hospital.  When I came back for my nail removal, I told the Beijing patients that were there at the time that LL doesn't end when you get out of the hospital, that's when it BEGINS.

Six months after my frame removal I was distraught, wondering what I was thinking to have done this to myself.  My right leg was quite a bit worse than the left.  I was worried I'd have to get surgery on my Achilles for it.  But I just kept walking and walking, pushing through the pain, and eventually my legs evened out and got better.

An_Apple_A_Day

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 07:36:26 PM »

There's no magic treatment they can do for you during the distraction phase that'll make your legs come out as a finished product when you're released from the hospital.  When I came back for my nail removal, I told the Beijing patients that were there at the time that LL doesn't end when you get out of the hospital, that's when it BEGINS.

Six months after my frame removal I was distraught, wondering what I was thinking to have done this to myself.  My right leg was quite a bit worse than the left.  I was worried I'd have to get surgery on my Achilles for it.  But I just kept walking and walking, pushing through the pain, and eventually my legs evened out and got better.

It is precisely this that we don't hear about enough.

How soon did you return to work?  Do you think you are tapped out in terms of recovery now?  Or do you feel your muscles will keep adapting if you start to (progressivly) stretch them further.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 09:55:08 PM »

Here are videos of Dr. Parihar doing voice over commentary on a surgery he performed where he uses LON for a case of tibial hemimelia. You get to see what this sort of operation looks like while the patient is under anesthesia.

*Not for the squeamish.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 10:18:43 PM by Kilokahn »

Russianblues

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 10:30:08 PM »

fk me, to think I voluntarily did a similar thing to my own legs make me sick to my stomach.

Russianblues

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 10:34:08 PM »

How come this guys patients seem to recover so slowly? 4 Weeks just to stand, on crutches for 4 months and minimum 6 months unassisted walking?

Muse

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 01:29:07 AM »

Nice videos, should be required pre-surgery viewing for anyone considering LL, to know what's really going on.

Roger Murdock

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 04:46:36 AM »

Hey Guys,

I have a friend I've been talking to on Emm Emm Tee who is meeting with Dr. Parihar tomorrow. Actually, it's TODAY for him, since he's already over there. Its REALLY last minute, but if you have any specific questions, post them and I will try to get them to him (possibly over the phone as he's said  the Internet in his hotel is really bad and he may not be able to get online again before his consultation.)

Russianblues

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 05:21:32 AM »

Oh my mistake realized hes quoting times since the first surgery not frame removal.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 06:26:33 AM »

Hey Guys,

I have a friend I've been talking to on Emm Emm Tee who is meeting with Dr. Parihar tomorrow. Actually, it's TODAY for him, since he's already over there. Its REALLY last minute, but if you have any specific questions, post them and I will try to get them to him (possibly over the phone as he's said  the Internet in his hotel is really bad and he may not be able to get online again before his consultation.)

I don't have any particular questions but it would be excellent if he were to post his CLL experience on this site, should he decide to undergo surgery with Dr. Parihar.

Russianblues

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 07:08:21 AM »

Can you ask him why full weight bearing only begins after 4 weeks when the standard titanium nails can take 60-65kgs? Harry/Sringari do a similar practice which seems very strange considering one nail alone can take peoples weight.

Carter

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 10:04:51 AM »

Gladiator (Crazy+6) copied stuff and Sysop deleted post request from Shorty asking for removal of his LL photo, it's fair do the same back.   I have a prediction,  BigFaker will choose Dr. T. Sringari  when all his consultations are over, let's see what happens. 

From Big Faker

" PARIHAR:

FEES: 900,000 INR = $14,400 USD = €10,538 EUR (They quoted in Rupees)
INCLUDES : 1st Surgery (Osteotomy and Nail/Frame Installation), 5-7 Day Hospital Stay, Check-Ups, 2nd Surgery (Frame Removal), Consults after Patient returns home (might be a trial process, since most of their patients have been local)
Local Room & Board during Lengthening NOT INCLUDED
Physical Therapy During Lengthening and Consolidation Included? - Not Sure. Forgot to ask. Explanation and more on this later
NAIL REMOVAL - Price? Not Sure. Forgot to ask. Explanation and more on this later "

I think, in my mind, the decision of whether I would do my surgery in Mumbai was settled right then and there -- standing outside in the parking lot -- but I had come ALL that way, so I went in for my scheduled consultation.

The inside of the place looked just as old and run-down and scary as the outside. It really looked like they only served Indians of lesser means. For example, if you have seen barely-funded County/public hospitals in the US (like on the show "e.r."), this would be the Third World equivalent.

MY CONSULTATION
I had compiled a decent list of questions I planned to ask all three docs and I took copious notes, but when I am in rushed, it usually looks like I was writing with my feet, so some details may suck.

I had been in email contact with Dr. Divya Ahuja, one of Dr. P's staff members, since I had called for an appointment from back home. He came out to meet me a few minutes after my appointment time, and brought me back into his office.

I asked him to explain his take on Reconstructive LL vs Cosmetic:
He said the main difference is that Cosmetic is bilateral and rarely do they have to deal with reconstructive lengthening on both legs. Additionally, reconstructive patients start with muscle and soft tissue of a certain length already and the bone has become short (because of injury, infection etc). The patient has to lengthen his bone to reach the length of those tissues. With Cosmetic, we want to lengthen, but the limiting factors are different. The muscle and tendon tightness adds those factors which are not really as present in Reconstructive. He said the recovery for both is "almost the same". Complications for lengthening are all "correctable, eventually, by surgery". But we want to try to prevent the need for that by hard work through PT.

Other notes:
Dr. Parihar does NOT allow/encourage standing/walking/weight bearing during distraction because, as Dr. Ahuja said, when you stand, you compress. Once the frames come off, gradual weight-bearing is done as the callus develops.

They use Synthes nails. I asked how many rings the frame would have, considering that I am really heavy, and he said 3.

I asked about the pins going the muscle and he said they make a "track through muscle" to place the pins, so as not to catch them as they go through. He said they also "take care not to go close to the nerves"

For the osteotomy, they DO split the patellar tendon with a small incision. He said the knee's recovery from that is not a big deal.

They do not typically do ankle-locking, but now use the sandals strapped to the frame.

In hospital: 5-7 Days
Distraction: after 7-10 Days
There is NO Care Home/Guest House, they have been looking for one, but basically I inferred that we would need to figure it out ourselves.
PTs would be sent from hospital.  I asked the difference between an LL physical therapist and a standard one. He said "communication", as the ones they work with will treat within the LL doctor's instructions, rather than going off on their own

X-Rays are done every 10-14 days during lengthening

Dr. Ahuja then did a physical exam, checking my flexibility and my problem ankle and old knee injury. The total time with him was about 35 minutes. After this, he sent me back to the waiting room. I waited there for another 20 minutes or so -- needing to go to the bathroom -- but I opted to wait until after I got back to the hotel....maybe that says something about the place.

I then got in to see Dr. Parihar. He went over the intake Dr. Ahuja did, discussed risk factors, and so on. We talked about him training with Paley in Baltimore (in the early 90s), the tremendous costs of LL in Europe and the US. He expressed that he did not discourage LL patients, but was not actively seeking them, either. It's just not his primary practice/business. All of his lengthening patients have been Indian, and most had no knowledge of the risks and downsides. He talked about the fact that many lengthening docs are doing primarily cosmetic work and deemed it "a paradox" because (in his opinion) the people doing lengthening should be the ones with very solid backgrounds in Ilizarov (which I took to mean Reconstructive/Deformity specialists like himself). An example he gave: if he treats a guy with an infected non-union, heals his bone, gets him to where his functionally is much improved...but still having a 1cm length discrepancy between legs... it's a success, a great positive result from where he was.
With a cosmetic patient, if a doctor gives him 6cm gain, but reduces the dorsiflexion of the knee to just neutral, he has "made that patient abnormal". The margin for error in cosmetic lengthening is much less. Furthermore, he said, cosmetic patients are "probably the most demanding subgroup of patients". But they will be aware of the potential risks and complications. I think the most memorable thing he said is that any of the complications (non-union, neurological injuries) that can come up in cosmetic are "part-and parcel of the Ilizarov techniques", so he would give the edge to a doc who has done 1000 reconstructive Ilizarovs over one who had 50 cosmetic. I WISH I had thought to ask about (touching on what Dr. Ahuja had mention earlier) how (or whether) a strictly reconstructive doc would have the knowledge and experience with the soft tissue stretching issues. Cr*p. Sorry, Peeps. That would have been a good one.

We discussed the frames and he also said the nail is much more significant factor than the frame. He said he is only a proponent of standing and walking in terms of reducing Ballerina.

Dr. Parihar said he was aware of the "LL community", but claimed he had never been on any of the "bulletin boards" and I really believed him. He's very much an Old School, no-nonsense, conservative doctor. Also evidenced by the fact that he then talked about the lack of peer-reviewed studies out there (and yes, you may sense a drastic difference between this consultation and the one I had with Sarin two days later). Dr. Parihar said he usually favors "function over length". 6cm is the general limit he practices, but if he sees a patient with equinus at 5cm, he would advise the patient "to call it a day". The amount of complications goes up "exponentially" after 6cm. I was pretty shocked though, that he said a patient can come back for a second round of tibia lengthening! I had never heard of this, aside from Jungle.

I asked (because of what I had read here, in one of the Sringari diaries) of where he would do a re-break, in the case of preconsolidation. He would do the 2nd osteotomy "slightly higher or lower".

Lastly, Dr. Parihar was pretty humble, as opposed to some other doc (to be named later). The total time with him was around 30 minutes as well. So I did not in any way feel rushed through there.

They had told me previously (over email), that there was a fee for the LL consultation. I had seen the $350 - €400 listed under those doc interviews and took a big gulp...until I kept reading and it said 800INR. That's like 12 bucks! I emailed them back to make sure it wasn't a typo (but didn't get a reply). Anyway, when I went to pay, they said it was 1500 INR. Not thrilled at the bait-and-switch (possibly once they realized I was American?), but still, only about 1/20th the cost of a consultation with Paley or Betz.

But anyway, if you hadn't guessed by now:

The discouragement of weight-bearing is a debatable subject and goes against so much of what I had been learning. I know how much SysOp encourages it and how Sweden seems to have had a rougher recovery for lack of it. Still, that was not the factor that ruled this doctor out. The hassle and work of having to find my own place to stay and arranging basic domestic care (in Mumbai no less) would have been hard enough to accomplish....but having to pay for that on top of the surgery and (possibly) the daily PT made this doctor an no-go. Anyway, if you hadn't gleaned from the beginning, I knew I could never have surgery at Mangal Anand from the moment I caught sight of it from the taxi.

Mind you, this removal from consideration as my LL surgeon has NOTHING to do with Dr. Parihar as a doctor, nor with him personally. He has a very impressive resumé:
http://ilizarov.in/about-us/dr-mangal-parihar.html
...and is clearly well-respected. I think because he trained extensively in the West (2 stints in the UK, as well as 2 in the US -- including a postdoc fellowship with Paley), we communicated very easily.

And, though he came off as somewhat cold/distant (or maybe just all-business) at first, he turned out to be a pretty cool guy. After the bulk of the consultation, we chatted a bit and somehow got onto the subjects of music, Vocal Live and Garage Band, and then audio/video production. He edits and narrates those surgery videos himself. Interesting, multi-talented man. Undoubtedly a good doctor. If, God forbid, a loved one or I were in a serious accident next time in Mumbai, I would have no qualms with Dr. P being my doctor.......just hope it would be at a different hospital.

I was trying to figure out where I had read the exact phrase in which Dr. P stated that he's "not a fan of weight-bearing" and I found it: it was on the interview that he did on that other site. I distinctly remember reading those words because it tipped me off that his English would be pretty good.

Anyway, in my consultation, he specifically said wants standing and walking "to the extent that it helps minimize equinus deformity". And he said in my case (with my considerable weight), he would want to go much much slower in getting back to weight bearing. There is, he explained, a need for being more conservative with cosmetic nails than with ones used for traditional fractures, because he would not ream out the bone canal to use a bigger nail in a cosmetic patient (would not want to harm a person's natural biology in that way, I think he said.) Basically, there is already enough risk in regenerative healing that he doesn't want to push it.

Also: keep in mind that these statements were from two different guys and each one said something sliiightly different.
Dr. Ahuja said the thing about "when you stand you compress it"
And when I asked "not even standing with crutches or a walker?"
He said "Just a little bit. Only so that it allows you go to the toilet"...and then, after frame removal, it is still just a gradual process.
I asked about ankle locking and he said they sometimes do that in Recon patients. I mentioned the sandals and he replied that they do that currently.
When they notice the foot dropping, they have the patient stop distracting for a few days to "work on it". It was actually a somewhat funny moment (for me) because I wasn't sure if he was saying "work" or "walk" and I even tried to have him repeat it, but despite his English being very good, I just couldn't make it out and gave up (probably because I knew deep-down I wasn't going to do LL there....and because I really had to go to the bathroom)

About tackling issues promptly, it's confusing because he said something like "any troubles that are supposed to happen will have come up during distraction".
ME: Isn't Ballerina the major issue that comes up?
Doc A: :That's actually what happens during distraction. Whatever has not been corrected during distraction and whatever remains and then becomes fixed.
(not sure if I wrote that part down exactly right)

So, in the end, I am not really clear on Dr P's work as a cosmetic LL surgeon. If I had met one of his PTs there, that might have given me a better idea of what one his LL patients would be in for. As he has no international patients, and so few cosmetic ones to boot, we really have no idea of his "success rate". Quotes because I am still not sure how LL "success" is actually defined. Eye Of the Beholder, I guess?"
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 10:10:36 AM by Carter »

An_Apple_A_Day

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 10:56:17 AM »

Gladiator (Crazy+6) copied stuff and Sysop deleted post request from Shorty asking for removal of his LL photo, it's fair do the same back.   I have a prediction,  BigFaker will choose Dr. T. Sringari  when all his consultations are over, let's see what happens. 

From Big Faker

Makes for very interesting reading.  And it is right.  If you feel reluctant to go to the bathroom in one of those hospitals you don't want surgery in them!

This LL game is full of twists and turns.  I am constantly oscillating between thinking "this is my life target, do it and live happily" to "do I want to risk all I have for 2-3 more inches?" absolutely confusing and frustrating as hell all this.

Machine

• Because you are alive , everything is possible .
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 06:45:57 PM »

Dr Mangal Parihar is a specialist and respectable doctor in india regarding Limb lengthening , deformaty correction , complex trauma , reconstruction .... and i m not bluffing i did my research .
i m from india delhi and i have visited a doctors who is also specialist in Limb Lengthening and he told me that Dr Mangal Parihar is
most famous doctor in india regarding these issues .
he is like the Dr Paley of india .

And if anyone wants to do surgery in india then they should consider him as the first options.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 09:12:37 PM »

Dr Mangal Parihar is a specialist and respectable doctor in india regarding Limb lengthening , deformaty correction , complex trauma , reconstruction .... and i m not bluffing i did my research .
i m from india delhi and i have visited a doctors who is also specialist in Limb Lengthening and he told me that Dr Mangal Parihar is
most famous doctor in india regarding these issues .
he is like the Dr Paley of india .

And if anyone wants to do surgery in india then they should consider him as the first options.

I'd certainly feel more comfortable getting my surgery done with him than any of the other currently known doctors in India. I think it's just the location and lack of accommodation provided that urges people to go elsewhere. Still, I'd rather deal with the hassle of finding a place to stay and get my surgery done by the most credible LL specialist in the country than going to someone with hardly any real training but have a guesthouse to stay in.

Of course Sysopotheosis found a reason to criticize Dr. Parihar after Bigfaker posted his consultation with him on old forum .

tikal

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 09:29:32 AM »

who know about dr Milind Chaudhary and dr tejwanin?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 12:03:51 AM »

I'm going to have a consultation with Dr. Parihar later. Here's information I received from him in a few e-mail exchanges recently.

Kilokahn:Hello, I saw on www.limblengtheningforum.com that the estimated total cost for the cosmetic lengthening procedure at your clinic is 900,000 INR. I'm assuming that is considering lengthening with a standard Ilizarov frame. If one were to opt for lengthening using the Taylor Spatial Frame, what would the difference in cost be? Thank you.

Dr Parihar: We do the lengthening with the LON technique. The Taylor Spatial Frame is not available in India. We have used the TSF in the past, but with donated frames from friends in the UK and USA, as six axis systems were not available in India. We now use the Ortho-SUV six axis system which is locally manufactured under licence, (http://pitkar.com/orthosuvframe.html), (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4U2M4VpXhc&list=UU0eT2D9Wv88GFeCx-BJS0vA ), but that is more for deformity correction, and i do not see any major advantage to using it in a LON scenario.

Kilokahn: Thank you for the information. The reason I asked about TSF was because I had heard that it will help better prevent malalignment than traditional frames. Regarding the use of LON, I have read some studies that said there is a probability of having permanent knee pain even after rod removal due to having to split the patellar tendon to insert the nail. Because my interest in this is cosmetic, the possibility of permanent knee pain is somewhat worrying. Would doing plate fixation after frame removal be a possibility?

Dr Parihar: TSF vs Ilizarov - when frames are properly applied and stable, the likelihood of malalignment is quite small. One advantage of the ortho-suv we use is that it can be applied on standard ilizarov rings (unlike the TSF). So if there is a deviation, it can be corrected by exchanging the straight rods for ortho-suv struts at the end of lengthening when the regenerate is still ‘plastic’, correct the deformity, and then put on straight rods (with coupled washers to accommodate the deformity correction) again.

plate/LON/frame - there are upsides and downsides to every option.

fixator only -
plus - . no incision, no knee pain, early weight bearing, ?quicker healing
minus - frames need to be stronger i.e. more components, more wires/pins,  long fixator time

LON -
plus - relatively lesser number of wires / pins, shorter fixator time, ?earlier weight bearing compared to plate.
minus - some more scars, possibility of knee pain (can be minimized by technique), very small but real chance of IM infection, second surgery for implant removal

Plate -
plus - relatively lesser number of wires / pins, shorter fixator time, no chance of IM infection,
minus - some more scars, very small but real chance of infection around plate, not enough data of use in CLL to definitely predict how it will affect healing (most studies are about children and / or unilateral lengthening), i would not allow early weight bearing with plates on both legs, till reasonable amount of ossification  - so functionally patient could still be relatively impaired for a longer time, second surgery for implant removal, implant removal a little more difficult than nail removal.

TRS

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 03:52:02 AM »

I'm going to have a consultation with Dr. Parihar later. Here's information I received from him in a few e-mail exchanges recently.

Thank you very much for posting this Kilokahn! Considering Dr Parihar's knowledge and experience in LL and trained by Dr.Paley, I believe that he is the best option for tibia LL in India. That is if you can cope staying in his hospital for a few days and then renting an apartment or hotel in Mumbai.   

I am keeping him as an option for tibia LL once I recover from my femur LL
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:56:03 AM by TheRisingShorty »

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 05:53:32 AM »

Thank you very much for posting this Kilokahn! Considering Dr Parihar's knowledge and experience in LL and trained by Dr.Paley, I believe that he is the best option for tibia LL in India. That is if you can cope staying in his hospital for a few days and then renting an apartment or hotel in Mumbai.   

I am keeping him as an option for tibia LL once I recover from my femur LL

I definitely agree that Dr. Parihar is the best option for CLL in India. Frankly I could care less about the look of the hospital because I would only be staying in it for a very short time and you can find nice quality hotels all over Mumbai. If I am able to arrange my stay in Mumbai, then if the consultation goes well I'm hoing with Dr. Parihar. There's another doctor in India who also trained under Paley that I'm going to meet, but I am not sure on him yet because limb lengthening is not his primary interest, though he does seem to have a considerable amount of knowledge in it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up