Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New Stryde Diary 2018 - with Dr. Paley  (Read 27134 times)

Bastouille

• Visitor
Re: New Stryde Diary 2018 - with Dr. Paley
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2018, 06:18:46 PM »

A video of you walking at this point would be very useful.  Please consider.
Going forward with Stryde nail in March 2019, in Canada.

Pilor

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2018, 08:26:50 PM »

Hi, how are you doing?

superusercj1

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2018, 02:47:30 AM »

Hi,

Hitting 5.0cm tomorrow. I really only have left knee pain that bothers me right now - it’s not constant only comes and goes when I flex and extend my knee.  My knees are bending now at rest and it takes some extension of my muscle but I can still straighten out both knees fine. I had some sharp nerve pains in my right lower leg from time to time last week but it’s gone.

Overall the feeling of some soreness and tightness everyday sucks but the experience overall has been great with the stryde nail. Until my knee started hurting two days ago I was ambulatory mostly without a cane or crutch.

I recorded a video today will post some soon once we edit things out.

Pilor

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2018, 06:14:36 AM »

Can aoyouu sit bormally on a chair without pain and for a longper period of time?

So excited for the video !!

Thanks man

Bastouille

• Visitor
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2018, 07:51:25 PM »

Great question.  How long can you sit on a chair without too much issue?

How's sleeping?  Do you sleep on your side?  Would that be possible? 

Do you think you could do PT at home if you had a trainer that would come in every day?

Bastouille

• Visitor
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2019, 04:07:53 PM »

Is this Diary dead?  That's disappointing...

Renaissance

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2019, 06:34:43 PM »

Superusercj1 are you okay ?
Please give us some news.

superusercj1

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2019, 02:47:56 AM »

Hi everyone! Sorry been so busy with work.

Here’s some updates:

I stopped my lengthening around December 27-28.  I stopped because I wanted to be on the more conservative side in terms of full athletic recovery. I was a bit tight but could easily gone to 70mm or 80mm if I wanted to.  Had my X-rays the first week of January and I was at 65mm, with magnification factored in I was a about 5.9-6.0.

Today, about 2 weeks after lengthening, I can now go up and down stairs without holding the rails. I can walk 95% normal with a cane’s help and 80% without.  The reason for this is because I’m still tight in my hamstrings and also my gluteals are super sore after walking and forcing my stride to be more narrow.

Socially, it feels amazing to be about 2.3” or so taller. No one really noticed, I just got a lot of comments that I looked skinnier.  But it feels great going out now. I haven’t been wearing my
Normal lifts to get everyone acquainted with the new height - but I’ll start soon ;).

I’m going to come back in the winter to do my tibias to even out my femur tibia ratio back to 0.9 as my femurs do look noticeably longer.

Overall super happy I did it, can’t beleive I did something this crazy but super happy I did.  Happy to field questions if you guys have any.  Also I have the video from when I was at 55cm or so that I still need to upload !

superusercj1

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2019, 02:53:01 AM »

One last key component - the entire process was great - staying at the homewood suite you meet other patients.  Myself, myevolution, and a couple of other guys hung out, went to miami etc. it really helped time fly.

So if you guys do this, try to find some friends either on the board or at Paley’s to hang out with. 

Ayesha12345

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2019, 02:58:21 AM »

Wow glad you had no complications! One of the smoothest recoveries I reckon. How soon were you able to head home? If I am flying from out of United States do you think I can head back home a week after surgery? And yeah do you walk normal now without cane, as in will someone look at you & not notice your walk being a little off normal? Will appreciate id you can answer thanks

superusercj1

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2019, 03:06:18 AM »

Hi Ayesha,

I’m not sure if they will let you lengthen abroad.  I think you need at least 2-3 weeks before you’re healthy enough to fly if they let you. There’s a lot of muscle soreness and discomfort the first 2-3 weeks so flying would be brutal.

But about 1.5 months in when I was at 4.7cm or so I actually went back to work for a day... that required me to walk around the entire day. I went through that day without any assisted device but I was brutally sore by the end of the day and definitely walked funny.

Yes if someone were to see me walking right nkw they’d notice, I think at the rate of progress I’ll be normal by end of January.

TemakiSushi

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2019, 05:23:32 AM »

Thank you very much for your detailed diary  :)
It’s is so helpful and I’m very happy to hear you completed without any complications

Have you seen any tibia patients with Stryde at Paley’s?
If so how were they doing?
Plan to have Stryde TIBIAS surgery with Donghoon
Welcome any NEGATIVE information of Donghoon
Any doctor with more than 5% complication rate is NOT acceptable

superusercj1

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2019, 06:51:19 AM »

Yes, there were a bunch of stryde patients there who were doing both femurs and tibias at the same time.  I didn’t meet anyone doing only tibias stryde.

The people I met were doing well ... until the last week or so, I heard that someone’s nail had a malfunction but that’s all I know about it.

Astronomy

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2019, 07:38:36 AM »

Best wishes for you!:)

Pilor

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2019, 02:36:52 PM »

Hi superusercj1,

When did you start weight-bearing, and in retrospection would you say this point was to early?

MirinHeight

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2019, 05:15:06 PM »

please post pics
and hopefully you can post a video as well.

people on here should not consider any diary as legit without proof.

Thank you,
mirinheight
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

superusercj1

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2019, 03:45:03 AM »

Hi superusercj1,

When did you start weight-bearing, and in retrospection would you say this point was to early?

I was on the walker a lot during the first two weeks because I wanted to walk as fast as possible.  In retrospect , I should have taken it easy first two weeks as your body heals from the fractured femur and gets over that inflammation. Also gives your muscle rest as they release aka cut your muscles and also spread your muscles to get the rod in.

Your quad strength and hamstrings comes back pretty quickly and those are also the easiest muscles to work out.  But the rate limiting muscle are actually your gluteals. If I could do it all over again, I would have stayed mostly in bed and do side leg raises to strengthen my gluteals since that’s the slowest muscle to return.

I did my first true weight bear the entire day the first week of December , or 1.5 months or so after the surgery. I actually went to work , walked around funny , was sore by end of the day, but it wasn’t anything craZy. It did suck to stand a lot so I would take breaks to relax and sit down.

InFullStryde

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2019, 11:58:42 PM »

I was on the walker a lot during the first two weeks because I wanted to walk as fast as possible.  In retrospect , I should have taken it easy first two weeks as your body heals from the fractured femur and gets over that inflammation. Also gives your muscle rest as they release aka cut your muscles and also spread your muscles to get the rod in.

Your quad strength and hamstrings comes back pretty quickly and those are also the easiest muscles to work out.  But the rate limiting muscle are actually your gluteals. If I could do it all over again, I would have stayed mostly in bed and do side leg raises to strengthen my gluteals since that’s the slowest muscle to return.

I did my first true weight bear the entire day the first week of December , or 1.5 months or so after the surgery. I actually went to work , walked around funny , was sore by end of the day, but it wasn’t anything craZy. It did suck to stand a lot so I would take breaks to relax and sit down.

Congrats on your first weight bear day!   I cannot agree more with you regarding taking it easy the first couple of weeks.   I finally was able to get on the walker today 13 days after surgery and it felt great. Little pain at all.  As soon as my left leg is stronger and healed up; I should be able to start walking pretty well.   Thank you for the great post.  Helps newcomers like myself who just had surgery feel a lot  more at ease and aligns our expectations properly.
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

kkt122

• Visitor
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2019, 10:35:50 PM »

How bearable is the pain? Are you still able to function daily normally or does the pain really impair you?

superusercj1

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2019, 06:06:46 AM »

Hey guys,

FYI quick update - I’m about one month out from my last turn and I am about 95% normal.  Just some soreness in my gluts when I walk far but it’s getting better everyday. My hamstrings and still tight but doesn’t effect my gait.

I’m going to start doing yoga and getting in great shape - the stryde Nail is a def game changer.  I’m just waiting to take my x rays at the end of February once im cleared I’m going to try jogging / running.

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2019, 08:31:35 AM »

Did you ask Paley to no perform IT Band release on you?
Go for it

superusercj1

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2019, 12:46:24 PM »

When I was there I was told he started doing it on everyone - So yep - I got it done

BladeRunner

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2019, 12:51:45 PM »

Grats!
amazing recovery 1 month post op.

U're saying its down to Stryde. But do you think there were other factors too involved?
like in first post you bought stretching cable + proteins?

MichaelJose

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2019, 01:34:50 PM »

Can you speak more about the ratio difference? you said it looks noticeably longer - does this mean if you didn't have the money/time for tibs you would be unhappy/regretful?

Also are you judging the noticeable ratio difference off looking in the mirror, comments from others or pictures standing next to other people?
Thanks!

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2019, 04:22:03 PM »

When I was there I was told he started doing it on everyone - So yep - I got it done
But you said you felt your it bands tight.

Everyday I see significant improvement in ROM.  Right now my knee has full flexion, my Hamstrings can go 90 degrees when I lay flat, but my IT Bands are horrid - laying flat, I can't bring my legs together, I can feel it really tight on both sides, I can't lay flat and put one leg over the other at my ankles either. 

Just general tightness in my IT bands;
Go for it

Jubartt169

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2019, 02:44:18 PM »

Good luck for you!

Hope you'll do well.

superusercj1

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2019, 06:38:35 AM »

Grats!
amazing recovery 1 month post op.

U're saying its down to Stryde. But do you think there were other factors too involved?
like in first post you bought stretching cable + proteins?

I think the protein helped my muscles recover a lot, I was a stretch machine during the first 50% but slacked big time over time

I really think it’s the stryde, I keep in touch with two other guys and they’re recovered as well one went to 8.0cm and the other went to 6.6cm? Around there

superusercj1

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2019, 06:40:16 AM »

But you said you felt your it bands tight.

All because you have it done it doesn’t mean you still won’t feel tightness the procedure entails them cutting your itb and manually lengthening it - your body goes through a process in which the parts that are sewn together regenerates and makes muscle. It’s not like you got it and you become loose automatically

Ayesha12345

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2019, 05:58:19 PM »

Hey! I’m so happy for your healthy recovery- how’s your walking now- is it completely normal and unassisted? Also did you see any woman doing stryde with Paley? Or any women at all doing LL there?

BeYourBest

« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2019, 12:35:53 AM »

Hey man, great read and congracts on the increase in height! I hope you’re still doing well.

Would it be possible to get some pics of x-rays or some vids where you blur your face or something?

Thanks

TheAlchemist

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2019, 10:26:32 PM »

Hey man, very insightful and inspiring diary.
Would love to get a quick update on how you are doing? Approaching 5 months since you stopped lengthening, how has your recovery been? Is your walk and mobility back to normal, and if so, when do you think you crossed that threshold?
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up