Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Giotikas - external tibia/Stryde - Diary 2018/2019  (Read 49984 times)

qirenzhe123

Re: Dr. Giotikas - external tibia/Stryde - Diary 2018/2019
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2018, 09:25:52 PM »

Stil not quite sure what you mean. Dr. Giotikas expects the patient to stay in Athens during lengthening phase.
Can you give me an extension of 6.3cm and the full price? thank you

Great321

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2018, 10:00:35 PM »

Much appreciated Great321, thanks!

What about your dosages/mg for the Lyrica?

No problem! 75mg

Great321

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2018, 10:02:09 PM »

Can you give me an extension of 6.3cm and the full price? thank you
22.600€ no matter how many cm for externals. you can read everything on the website https://www.athensbjr.com/cosmetic-limb-lengthening.html

ooooooooooooooooooppps

• Visitor
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2018, 02:05:22 AM »

Are you getting stryde done on your tibias or femurs?

qirenzhe123

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2018, 11:51:18 AM »

22.600€ no matter how many cm for externals. you can read everything on the website https://www.athensbjr.com/cosmetic-limb-lengthening.html
Will his shelf lose height? How many cm will you lose?

LLwarrior

« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2018, 12:59:11 AM »

Are you Happy with how things are going ? How many cm have you done now?

Great321

« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2018, 07:03:20 AM »

Update  4,4-4,5cm

I wanted to update several times already but I'm the worst or best procrastinator.
I haven't answered some pm's. Sorry for that, I try to do that sometime.

My PT has shown me how to walk properly on my walker (as straight as possible). In the beginning it didn't seem easy. I also had severe muscle pain around my left knee area but I don't know if it can be linked to that or it has to do with lengthening. First, I was very slow but several days later I got faster. I was in the habit of walking wrongly. I even forgot how a person walks properly (that the heels touch the floor first). My left toes were touching the floor first instead of my heel. Even though my left foot is more stretched its dorsireflexion is bad. But I improved. I still can't stand straight.

My left leg isn't the weaker one anymore. I can easily move it around, instead my right leg's knee is a bit weaker and needs support sometimes. That will change. Anyways my PT did a good job and pushed me to my limits.

A week after my last infection the same pin site started to hurt again really bad and it didn't stop for almost 2 weeks, so I asked for antibiotics again until I got it and it got better the same day. But at that day I felt very tired because I couldn't sleep well due to the pain.
(The worst things for me during LL are: 1. pain that prevents you absolutely from walking 2. Tiredness that makes you so weak that you can't walk 3. Not be able to fall asleep 4. Broken digestion so I can't eat whatever I want or should and that since the hospital release...) on top of that my stomach was feeling bad again. I was very stressed and that led to the worst night (meaning I could barely fall asleep at all for the first time during LL). Being very tired but not being able to fall asleep leaves you alone in the dark with your thoughts and those damn externals (because of them I have to change my position constantly because I start to feel uncomfortable sometime and that also causes sleeping problems. That's very very depressing. I'm happy that at least in the first months until that day (about 2 days ago) I had almost no trouble falling asleep.

I have finished lengthening on the 16th (right leg) and 22nd (left leg). I have lengthened the latter about 3mm more as it was shorter before. There are 6 days inbetween because I sometimes only did 1-2 clicks per day.

In a few days I will fly back to Germany where I continue with professional PT 2-3 times per week. I will have to get X-rays every 3 weeks the first two times and afterwards every 6 weeks. On my last X-rays my callus formation didn't look as good as expected so it will probably take me at least 3 more months for consolidation.
This depresses me, too. 3 months sound so much...

What bothers me at the moment besides sleeping problems and mental problems is the muscle around my left knee area. After a longer time when my leg was bent it is very difficult to stretch it again while I'm on my bed. It's pretty stiff and painful. When I stand up it also takes 1-2 minutes until I can stretch it. Afterwards walking is possible and mostly painless. I think it's because I had to lengthen an already shorter leg more.

Dr. Giotikas and my PT are both confident that I will recover well..I hope they're right.:/ If you ask me now I would have preferred Stryde..
but who knows if that would have been a lot more painful.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 08:23:41 AM by Great321 »

cheekycabs

« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2018, 04:43:27 PM »

Update  4,4-4,5cm

My PT has shown me how to walk properly on my walker (as straight as possible). In the beginning it didn't seem easy. I also had severe muscle pain around my left knee area but I don't know if it can be linked to that or it has to do with lengthening. First, I was very slow but several days later I got faster. I was in the habit of walking wrongly. I even forgot how a person walks properly (that the heels touch the floor first). My left toes were touching the floor first instead of my heel. Even though my left foot is more stretched its dorsireflexion is bad. But I improved. I still can't stand straight.

My left leg isn't the weaker one anymore. I can easily move it around, instead my right leg's knee is a bit weaker and needs support sometimes. That will change. Anyways my PT did a good job and pushed me to my limits.
You speak a lot of truth in the pain management being the biggest problem. The way pain randomly gets you at strange times of the day and strange places really demotivates you.

You've done really well man, congratulations. Just as a reference, I started 2 weeks before you, and now I'm still 3 weeks behind you, only because of slowing down due to pain. I'm not too worried about it, I'm just going at my own pace, but it really shows you've got a lot of tolerance to push through it. Great job.

I have to ask what you're doing for your PT to walk straight. Could you describe it? Or maybe give us a video? Very interested on how you do PT going onward.
External Tib Ilizarov, Azerbaijan: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9418.0
Drugs, preparation, training: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V2bNA_OsVwqR5Qp6fAWH7VFN6DaZPJ8YroUELsIy28k/edit

1 year post can run slowly, walking/gym everyday. Issues are zero, ankle tight waking up.

Ayesha12345

« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2018, 10:07:52 PM »

Hey Great, I’m sorry to learn that it’s a difficult time, I hope the days ahead are better...can you tell me how supportive Dr Giotikas has been about this overall..? Did he help you with finding accommodation, is he responsive? If I am coming to do this surgery alone with no family etc do you think I’ll cope? Can you tell me how much the accommodation is approx? Sorry for bombarding with so many questions..

LLwarrior

« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2018, 12:49:50 AM »

How do you feel about Giotikas? Do you think he is skilled? Have you seen other patients apart from zakika?

Great321

« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2018, 10:44:24 PM »

You speak a lot of truth in the pain management being the biggest problem. The way pain randomly gets you at strange times of the day and strange places really demotivates you.

You've done really well man, congratulations. Just as a reference, I started 2 weeks before you, and now I'm still 3 weeks behind you, only because of slowing down due to pain. I'm not too worried about it, I'm just going at my own pace, but it really shows you've got a lot of tolerance to push through it. Great job.

I have to ask what you're doing for your PT to walk straight. Could you describe it? Or maybe give us a video? Very interested on how you do PT going onward.

The last few days I stopped taken any painkillers. The pain I had was never a lasting one luckily. Also I feel like I could have stopped a lot earlier as I didn't feel that they made a major difference.

Pain was not too bad, only for 2-3 days when I couldn't walk because of weak knees and infection pain was annoying when I bent my leg but endurable.

We will both finish this soon enough and will be gifted with a new height :)

Thank you for your words. Once I'm in Germany I will upload a video.

Hey Great, I’m sorry to learn that it’s a difficult time, I hope the days ahead are better...can you tell me how supportive Dr Giotikas has been about this overall..? Did he help you with finding accommodation, is he responsive? If I am coming to do this surgery alone with no family etc do you think I’ll cope? Can you tell me how much the accommodation is approx? Sorry for bombarding with so many questions..

Hey, I feel great now :) Physically and mentally. Especially walking helps me with my digestion problem, because of that I also can sleep better. And my mood is the best when I'm not tired during the day. Dr. Giotikas was really supportive by being very responsive. As a patient you can alaways write or call him. I didn't really ask for accommodation help, I just looked for appartments through airbnb and sent the link to his e-mail so he could check if it fits my needs. I couldn't have done this alone. I can write you a list of things I needed help with in the future, then you can think about how you would do it on your own or with the help of a caretaker. I paid almost 2.000€ for 2,5months.

How do you feel about Giotikas? Do you think he is skilled? Have you seen other patients apart from zakika?

I trust Dr. Giotikas and Dr. Giannakos. Apart from some numb skin areas around my lower legs (that will probably get better after a year -speaking from another experience-), I'm in a good state actually and I haven't had major problems so far. I have only had contact with zakika.

LLwarrior

« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2019, 10:52:01 AM »

Do you have nerve problems?  Can you move your foot Up and download?

Great321

« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2019, 11:42:26 PM »

I had some nerve pain in my left foot but it disappeared. I don't take Lyrica anymore. I have more dorsireflexion or how you call it in my right foot than left one but I think it will improve with time. Meaning I have more difficulties touching the floor with my left heel first.

I'm back home again since the end of last month. I stopped taking pain killers but yesterday I started again with one tramal per day because especially after I sat a longer time or after sleeping there's pressure inside my legs and knees when I lift them after having put my weight on them. But after some time it gets easier. I don't know why (maybe because I took more painkillers) but in Athens I was able to get up and walk faster.

At home I sometimes sleep for almost 12 hours (with stops inbetween where I wake up), bathroom, breakfast, learn another language, read the news, ps4, surfing etc. Mentally I feel very good (except for the thoughts where I wish to be able to walk again) My mother still helps me a lot.

My room is in the first floor and the steps to downstairs are too high and too narrow. Climbing stairs is not possible. My right knee is not strong enough and bending my right knee while putting my whole weight on it can be painful suddenly. Too dangerous. I rather sit on the step and climb down and up while sitting but getting down or up isn't easy either. I need support for that. Getting in and out the car can be tricky as our parkway and street is not that even. On top of that we have winter. So in case there will be snow or ice outside I have to cancel my PT appointment or I call a special organization who helps transfer people in wheelchairs.

My muscle discomfort has 99%  vanished since I arrived here..maybe it was the mattress in Athens

My right foot's stretching got better, but I am sure as soon as the frames get taken off it will be a lot better because there's one pin that hurts a lot when I stretch my foot and while I can move my left foot to the right and left, I can't do the same with the right foot mainly due to that one or both pins at my ankle.

I try to do PT exercises on my own everyday, leaning against the wall, lifting my legs, cycling. Yesterday I walked for an hour in my room. Sometimes I stand while reading sth.
Next week I'll have two PT sessions with a physiotherapist who has seen fixateur externes but isn't experiences with them, still I trust her...it's just strengthening my muscles and stretching, I can tell her what my PT in Athens did with me

I just hope that I will be able to walk before summer because I want go on with life

Next week I want to go to the radiology for new X-rays.

7 rings

• Visitor
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2019, 07:43:10 AM »

Six-axis TSF can correct complex leg deformities

This doctor's TSF is triaxial and it seems that it can only be used for limb lengthening

I want to know if I can correct my o-leg at the same time during the operation

^_^

Great321

« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2019, 04:53:04 PM »

Six-axis TSF can correct complex leg deformities

This doctor's TSF is triaxial and it seems that it can only be used for limb lengthening

I want to know if I can correct my o-leg at the same time during the operation

^_^

Yes, Dr. Giotikas mentioned during the consultation that he will use the frame differently as for lengthening it doesn't need to be too complex. You should send him an e-mail with your question.

Anyways here are my new X-rays:
I expected more. I didn't post the lateral (sideways) view on which you can see that there's still a lot that has to grow :/ But well I have at least two more months anyways...

Left leg

Left leg

Right leg

Sara123

« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2019, 08:09:54 PM »

For this doctor you need about an extra 4000 Euros for complications and 3,500 for accommodation, food, a carer initially for some hours and the transfers from your apartment to where the physiotherapists are. If I’m not mistaken, it’s 3 times per week you must attend physiotherapy and each transfer costs 30 Euros. I think for externals aim to have at least 30,000 Euros in total.

Great321

« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2019, 09:16:05 PM »

For this doctor you need about an extra 4000 Euros for complications and 3,500 for accommodation, food, a carer initially for some hours and the transfers from your apartment to where the physiotherapists are. If I’m not mistaken, it’s 3 times per week you must attend physiotherapy and each transfer costs 30 Euros. I think for externals aim to have at least 30,000 Euros in total.

Luckily I didn't have any complications. My accommodation was 2.000€ for 2,5months. Groceries are expensive here compared to Germany. Didn't need a carer because of family.

If you check Dr. Giotikas website the PT after the hospital seems to not be included anymore?. I don't know if it was a mistake or a real change...

Sara123

« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2019, 09:30:45 PM »

Physiotherapy is included during your stay in Athens, what’s not included are the transfer costs/ transportation costs. This is what I see on the website and also it’s the info. I was given by them.

Great321

« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2019, 09:34:58 PM »

now I see it, too. They just changed the wording

Great321

« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2019, 06:00:42 PM »

The last two days I felt better than the last weeks. The pain in my legs while walking has decreased and I'm able to get up and walk faster than before. I talked to Dr. Giotikas per videocall, he is pleased with my X-Rays and encouraged me to keep stretching everyday. He suggested me to try to do some steps without the walker. Right now I can't imagine that but since the pain has decreased, maybe it will be possible someday. I feel very good mentally.

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2019, 01:00:28 PM »

When you do stryde with him, does he perform IT band release on you?
Go for it

Great321

« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2019, 12:24:10 AM »

When you do stryde with him, does he perform IT band release on you?

not sure yet. No he didn't perform IT band release on me.

Some days I feel very good with no pain and where I have no trouble walking a lot with my walker. The next day walking feels very difficult again and I'm very slow, also because of pain. Yesterday was one of the days where my body felt almost too tired and too weak to walk at all because I hadn't have much sleep the night before.

I was lucky that I had only two infections in Athens so far which (its pain) were gone with antibiotics the next day. I might have another one as I feel pain at one of the pins when I walk. It's not near the knee or ankle luckily. If it doesn't get better I will contact Dr. Giotikas.

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2019, 11:20:39 AM »

There is no reason to perform IT band release if you are doing tibia. IT band is for femurs only.

In tibias, the risk is achilles tendom lengthening, but Dr. Giotikas does not perform it. At least with tsf, with stryde I don't know.
Go for it

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2019, 11:21:43 AM »

Didn't you think it would be better doing quadrilateral than doing tibias and after that femurs? Did you discuss it with dr. Giotikas?
Go for it

Great321

« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2019, 07:02:20 PM »

Didn't you think it would be better doing quadrilateral than doing tibias and after that femurs? Did you discuss it with dr. Giotikas?

If Stryde would have been available a few months ago I would have signed up for quadrilateral. But it wasn't. But now I'm happy that I only did tibias only first. It's hard enough already.

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2019, 07:08:54 PM »

If Stryde would have been available a few months ago I would have signed up for quadrilateral. But it wasn't. But now I'm happy that I only did tibias only first. It's hard enough already.
But you could do one leg first and than the other. And it's possible quadriletaeral with TSF on tibias.
Go for it

Great321

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2019, 06:20:31 PM »

Since today (after almost 4 months) I know that my digestion problems were due to Cloristridium germs (diarrhea) that can be a side effect from Antibiotics. Or maybe I got infected by somebody else. I don't know for certain. I'm in the hospital were I get medication. Hopefully it helps. Maybe that is the reason why my bone growth is so slow ...?

I was also told that I don't have a pin infection. Some good news at least.

jievince3

« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2019, 01:39:26 PM »

when do you plan to LL your femurs?

otavio

« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2019, 01:44:44 PM »

If I were you, I'd make only single surgery with stride in the femurs aiming 8cm.

Great321

« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2019, 04:34:15 PM »

Comparison of X-Rays (22.01.2019 vs. 20.03.2019)

left tibia front   https://imgur.com/FZXasVT
left tibia side   https://imgur.com/8HjzYiI

right tibia front  https://imgur.com/dgvbhKY
right tibia side   https://imgur.com/TFw0fDx

It's less development than I had wished but since I had the Clostridium difficile germs, I probably couldn't absorb all the nutrients I had needed. Now I wait for Dr. Giotikas' response.

Great321

« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2019, 05:02:51 PM »

when do you plan to LL your femurs?

Not sure yet.

If I were you, I'd make only single surgery with stride in the femurs aiming 8cm.

too late it for it now:)  Personally I think 8cm for only one segment is too much. Other LLers already mentioned that others had noticed that their femurs look too long. Also 8cm is more risky.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up