Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Diary - January 2019 - In Full Stryde with Dr. Mahboubian of North Hollywood.  (Read 123375 times)

InFullStryde

(Saturday) Day 106 Post Op - Day 14 Consolidation/Recovery Phase - DISTRACTION COMPLETED....[7.5 cm Achieved / 3 inches Taller!]

Good evening CLL'ers,

I hope the weekend has been a good one so far. Quick  update.  Today, once again, was the best day I have had so far with these legs.  I was able to take 5000 steps and am moving around pretty well unassisted.  My primary challenge right now is my Anterior Pelvic Tilt.  I am working on that daily and it will take some time to resolve.  Other than that things are going well.  I'll update again tomorrow!

All the best,

-IFS
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

Ghostfish

Thanks IFS, really appreciate your insightful list.

Ned is correct in a sense that we should push through the pain at times to recover faster. But at the same time, over exertion and doing too much too soon leads to inflammation, which then causes a lot of pain, which then sets you back in terms of recovery. I have read a number of diaries where patients do too much and suffer from such inflammation. For example, Evolution's diary talks about this. He even stated that other Paley patients who did not over-exert themselves, unlike him, and instead rested the first week or so post-op instead of doing too much actually ended up not using pain killers as much and still recovering well and meeting their goals. With that said, I think it is wise not to put a lot of pressure on the body too soon after surgery, because after all, we had just given the body a major shock and it must be given time to recover somewhat before we dive into increased physical activity. So in this sense, having a wheelchair the first week or so may be very helpful. It really all boils down to the advice of the doctor, as well as your general philosophy on how best to proceed through the process.

I will order the things you had listed, but will hold off on the wheelchair until I speak to the staff next week during my pre-op. To answer your question, my Dr. is Rozbruch.

And I couldn't have described the feelings pre-LL better than you! All the emotions flowing through are very interesting. In a sense, I think I am absolutely insane to put my body through this all because of an insecurity about my height. And this feeling makes me nervous and quite scared of the uncertainties and potential complications. However, deep inside I know that LL will continue dwelling in the back of my mind, just like it has the past 8 yrs, and it becomes a disease almost in a sense that you are tortured because you know it must be done. All the while you grapple with how insane all of this makes you feel. Again not generalizing here, I am simply describing MY own feelings about this process. I am sure all these feelings will only intensify as the big day gets closer.

Anyway thanks again for that list. You are always there to advise and to help out man. Really means a great deal to me.
Hi tiggy
You got the point!  Generally working hard is good but too much working hard could be worse for patients.  Plus people are all different.  You have to listen to your body.  Of course that does not mean no exercise is fine.  You need to push yourself quite hard to get your goal but still always listen to your body.  I am an old patient but I think I pushed myself enough to get what I planned.  I am also recovering quite well although it could be better if I do more exercise.  I just don't have much time for it these days.
Dr. R is one of the best in this field.  You will be taken a good care of by his team.  Wish you the best of luck!

Renaissance

ISF

Like everyone I want to thank you for sharing your experiences on a daily basis.
Thank you also for continuing to post after the end of your lengthening process, during the recovering time.

I read that you wanted to make a guide in my opinion it's a great idea because I saw very few diaries talking about this kind of topic.

You should do it not only for people who want to do LL in the United States with stryde but also for all the others because there are in my opinion fundamentals not to neglect and many people and even surgeons never talk about it.

From my point of view it would be important to talk about the following technical points.

Preoperative conditions. That is, the physical and physiological state of the patient. Are you fit Are you athletic, flexible, muscular, smoker ect ...

Knowing the tibia femur ratio and bust leg ratio

Know the health of your bones.
Many patients go into LL without having ever done bone densitometry and their surgeon does not even ask them to do it.
If unfortunately you have osteoporosis, because of the nail is fixed to thebone if the bone is weak the nail will not be able to hold the weight even with Stryde.

Another very important parameter in my opinion which is not the responsibility of the surgeon is the medical insurance to contract if something ever went wrong.
If you have a problem in the bone distraction process and you have to do an other surgery, it may be very expensive. And obviously that require more time than you had planned at the beginning and prevent you from working and making money.

So you need good insurance and nobody or at least very few people talk about it. I suppose as wise men that she seems to be you get a medical insurance. Could you talk to us about it?

Thank you wish you the best.

InFullStryde

ISF

Like everyone I want to thank you for sharing your experiences on a daily basis.
Thank you also for continuing to post after the end of your lengthening process, during the recovering time.

I read that you wanted to make a guide in my opinion it's a great idea because I saw very few diaries talking about this kind of topic.

You should do it not only for people who want to do LL in the United States with stryde but also for all the others because there are in my opinion fundamentals not to neglect and many people and even surgeons never talk about it.

From my point of view it would be important to talk about the following technical points.

Preoperative conditions. That is, the physical and physiological state of the patient. Are you fit Are you athletic, flexible, muscular, smoker ect ...

Knowing the tibia femur ratio and bust leg ratio

Know the health of your bones.
Many patients go into LL without having ever done bone densitometry and their surgeon does not even ask them to do it.
If unfortunately you have osteoporosis, because of the nail is fixed to thebone if the bone is weak the nail will not be able to hold the weight even with Stryde.

Another very important parameter in my opinion which is not the responsibility of the surgeon is the medical insurance to contract if something ever went wrong.
If you have a problem in the bone distraction process and you have to do an other surgery, it may be very expensive. And obviously that require more time than you had planned at the beginning and prevent you from working and making money.

So you need good insurance and nobody or at least very few people talk about it. I suppose as wise men that she seems to be you get a medical insurance. Could you talk to us about it?

Thank you wish you the best.

Renaissance - I agree on all points. Excellent feedback and ideas.  I will plan on including these details in my tool kit.
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020

wannagrowtaller

my Dr. is Rozbruch.

Will you be using Stryde? Please, please, make a diary, tiggy.
Go for it

InFullStryde

(Sunday) Day 107 Post Op - Day 15 Consolidation/Recovery Phase - DISTRACTION COMPLETED....[7.5 cm Achieved / 3 inches Taller!]

Good evening CLL'ers,

Another solid day! I can say for certain that each day after I stopped distracting; that I have experienced my "best day" post - surgery.  I'm currently walking 100% unassisted and the tightness is wearing off. If I did not have the APT from the tight glutes; my walk would probably be close to normal already.  I'm working daily on the APT; but what can you do? lol.  Tight hip flexors and a weak butt will do that to you.  I'm currently working my butt back on and stretching and I am feeling steady improvement.  I get up and walk every 20 minutes now and was able to take about 5000 steps again today.  Don't get me wrong...my hips are still tight; so I get tired pretty quick; but I'm on my way. I'll keep working as hard as I can!   Guys, nothing more to say for today other than I'm seeing daily progress and I'm very pleased that I am able to walk unassisted without pain only 3 months post surgery.   Stryde rules!!  I see Dr. M on Friday for X-Rays and he will have a look at my tightness etc and provide his assessment and recommendations per usual. I will share with the community. Also, will do my best to take a video of my walking gait and share on my update this coming weekend.

Talk soon and all the best,

-IFS
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 01:34:54 AM by InFullStryde »

wannagrowtaller

Very good to see you are getting better each day and you are sharing it with us. Are you taking any supplements?
Go for it

tiggy

Hi tiggy
You got the point!  Generally working hard is good but too much working hard could be worse for patients.  Plus people are all different.  You have to listen to your body.  Of course that does not mean no exercise is fine.  You need to push yourself quite hard to get your goal but still always listen to your body.  I am an old patient but I think I pushed myself enough to get what I planned.  I am also recovering quite well although it could be better if I do more exercise.  I just don't have much time for it these days.
Dr. R is one of the best in this field.  You will be taken a good care of by his team.  Wish you the best of luck!

Hi Ghostfish,

I agree with you on every point! Thanks a lot friend, really appreciate the good thoughts. We all need them in this process.

tiggy

Will you be using Stryde? Please, please, make a diary, tiggy.

I will be using Stryde. As I've said before, I don't know if I will be up for creating a diary mainly because I don't think I can contribute any more than what can be found on the pages of this site already. But I can promise that if I feel up to creating a diary, I will most certainly start one as a way to give back for all the invaluable information I have gathered here over the years.

wannagrowtaller

I will be using Stryde. As I've said before, I don't know if I will be up for creating a diary mainly because I don't think I can contribute any more than what can be found on the pages of this site already. But I can promise that if I feel up to creating a diary, I will most certainly start one as a way to give back for all the invaluable information I have gathered here over the years.
Of course your diary would contribute to the community. Stryde nails are new and there are a few diaries with them. The more we have, more information we have.
Go for it

InFullStryde

Very good to see you are getting better each day and you are sharing it with us. Are you taking any supplements?

Thank you, WTG.  I am taking Vit C, Vit D, Silica, and drinking a lot of protein shakes to help maintain weight and support strength building.   

wannagrowtaller

No vitamin k2 + calcium?
Go for it

InFullStryde

No vitamin k2 + calcium?

Hi WGT,

Yes, I am consuming lots of this as well.

I have my first x Ray's, post distraction on Friday.  I hope all these supplements are helping.

Bonez

Hey IFS I'm really happy to hear that everyday is getting better than the last. I just wanted to say thanks for the diary it's really detailed and thorough it's pretty much the only reason I still check back on this site. After you learn all you can about LL all there is left is just to save money. But your diary keeps me coming back. Also your general attitude and view on life is super positive and inspirational there really needs to be more of that on this site. I can tell that you're someone that doesn't need LL to be happy but getting LL will make a positive impact on your life. That's the exact attitude that one should have when they're going into this.  Anyways good luck on the rest of your journey!! Keep grinding brotha

InFullStryde

Hey IFS I'm really happy to hear that everyday is getting better than the last. I just wanted to say thanks for the diary it's really detailed and thorough it's pretty much the only reason I still check back on this site. After you learn all you can about LL all there is left is just to save money. But your diary keeps me coming back. Also your general attitude and view on life is super positive and inspirational there really needs to be more of that on this site. I can tell that you're someone that doesn't need LL to be happy but getting LL will make a positive impact on your life. That's the exact attitude that one should have when they're going into this.  Anyways good luck on the rest of your journey!! Keep grinding brotha

Hey Bonez,

Appreciate the words of encouragement and thank you for following along on my journey.  Things are definitely trending positive. Each day is a grind well worth it.  I believe that I'll be recovered comfortably very soon now. I'm starting to see the light.  I'm going to keep the community updated throughout.  As a lurker in 2018; the journals proved so valuable to my experience.   I'm determined to return that favor.    One of my favorite quotes...."Height doesn't make the man; the man makes the height".  I'm learning all over again; just how true that is.  Thanks again bro and will update again here shortly.

jayes

• Visitor

I'm so happy for your positive experience.  This couldn't have happened to a nicer person.  All the best! 

Please keep us updated. It'd be nice to hear of long-term outcomes in how this has affected other aspects of your life.

InFullStryde

I'm so happy for your positive experience.  This couldn't have happened to a nicer person.  All the best! 

Please keep us updated. It'd be nice to hear of long-term outcomes in how this has affected other aspects of your life.

Appreciate it, Jayes.  I truly believe the hardest part is over with the phase 1 distraction. I still have a bit a ways to go now with the recovery; but after only 15 days, I'm up and walking unassisted (holding on to cane just to help balance). Albeit, my hips are very tight and I have a loads of work to do on flexibility but I'll still take this all as a sign that I could be on my way to good things, here.  The Stryde nail is great...by allowing someone to bear weight early.  I'll keep everyone posted. 

InFullStryde

(Monday) Day 108 Post Op - Day 16 Consolidation/Recovery Phase - DISTRACTION COMPLETED....[7.5 cm Achieved / 3 inches Taller!]

Good evening CLL'ers,

Boy, I'm tired.  Falling asleep as a write this; ha, ha. All is well. Today was more of the same.  Small steps toward healing.  Still feeling tight in the hips and it's impacting my walk quite a bit. We'll see where it stands on Friday, when I record a gait video.  I'm going to continue to work on that. I'm still going to a formal PT Clinic 3 days a week and each time; my PT takes the Theragun massager (puncher) and like a jackhammer massages my hips to submission. We're trying to get me loose.  Thanks again for all the kinds words and support. Honestly, I'm here to help where needed.  Let's figure this thing out, guys.  Have a good night.

All the best,

IFS

SimonFuller

(Monday) Day 108 Post Op - Day 16 Consolidation/Recovery Phase - DISTRACTION COMPLETED....[7.5 cm Achieved / 3 inches Taller!]

Good evening CLL'ers,

Boy, I'm tired.  Falling asleep as a write this; ha, ha. All is well. Today was more of the same.  Small steps toward healing.  Still feeling tight in the hips and it's impacting my walk quite a bit. We'll see where it stands on Friday, when I record a gait video.  I'm going to continue to work on that. I'm still going to a formal PT Clinic 3 days a week and each time; my PT takes the Theragun massager (puncher) and like a jackhammer massages my hips to submission. We're trying to get me loose.  Thanks again for all the kinds words and support. Honestly, I'm here to help where needed.  Let's figure this thing out, guys.  Have a good night.

All the best,

IFS

Great to hear that everyday is getting better for you pal

Canon

@infullstryde

Can I ask you how you managed to get such a long time off from work?

InFullStryde

@infullstryde

Can I ask you how you managed to get such a long time off from work?

Hi Canon,

This is a great question and I know that finding the time-off is really one of the biggest challenges of CLL.  Allow me to preface things to say that CLL is very demanding throughout the day and evening... Multiple PT sessions each day + lengthening 3 times a day.  There is a significant amount of time one must spend dedicated to this procedure.   it's a lot of hard work for the patient. 

As for me... At 26 years old; I founded an IT Services business and I'm happy to say that 11 years later (I'm 37 now), the company is flourishing and ranks as one of the fastest growing organizations of it's kind.  As the Founder and CEO, I am able to work remotely as much as I need.  During the distraction, I was 100% remote but as soon as phase 1 was over with; I felt comfortable to come back to work. I am now working full time again inside the office after 3 months of working from home. I am getting around unassisted with only a cane to support my balance here at the office.   I am able to come and go to the office as I need for physical therapy and doctors appointments.   I should mention that at home I invested in a complete/total home office setup include a top of line desktop, high-speed internet, and multiple computers screens.  I completely optimized my home office experience so that I could be efficient at home.   I actually really advanced my business during the CLL procedure because since CLL prevents you from sleeping; I just got up and worked more lol.  I also invested in a bow-flex, total home gym so that I could continue to easily and safely lift perform upper-body training.   One of the really nice things about both of these investments is that they will continue to benefit me long after CLL is completed.

At a young age, despite my height challenges, I had a vision and a funny quote I would always say to myself.  I'd always say i want:

"Freedom of TIME, Freedom of DIME, and Freedom of MIND."
  I am very close to having all 3. :-)

This means to create a life where you can do whatever you want; when you want.   A Life where expenses are never an obstacle. A life where you are no longer worried. 

So directly, by being my own boss; I had the flexibility to take the time needed.

Thank you again for the question.  If anyone in the community has any questions regarding CLL; please feel free to reach out.

All the best,

IFS

Movie

Hi Canon,

This is a great question and I know that finding the time-off is really one of the biggest challenges of CLL.  Allow me to preface things to say that CLL is very demanding throughout the day and evening... Multiple PT sessions each day + lengthening 3 times a day.  There is a significant amount of time one must spend dedicated to this procedure.   it's a lot of hard work for the patient. 

As for me... At 26 years old; I founded an IT Services business and I'm happy to say that 11 years later (I'm 37 now), the company is flourishing and ranks as one of the fastest growing organizations of it's kind.  As the Founder and CEO, I am able to work remotely as much as I need.  During the distraction, I was 100% remote but as soon as phase 1 was over with; I felt comfortable to come back to work. I am now working full time again inside the office after 3 months of working from home. I am getting around unassisted with only a cane to support my balance here at the office.   I am able to come and go to the office as I need for physical therapy and doctors appointments.   I should mention that at home I invested in a complete/total home office setup include a top of line desktop, high-speed internet, and multiple computers screens.  I completely optimized my home office experience so that I could be efficient at home.   I actually really advanced my business during the CLL procedure because since CLL prevents you from sleeping; I just got up and worked more lol.  I also invested in a bow-flex, total home gym so that I could continue to easily and safely lift perform upper-body training.   One of the really nice things about both of these investments is that they will continue to benefit me long after CLL is completed.

At a young age, despite my height challenges, I had a vision and a funny quote I would always say to myself.  I'd always say i want:

"Freedom of TIME, Freedom of DIME, and Freedom of MIND."
  I am very close to having all 3. :-)

This means to create a life where you can do whatever you want; when you want.   A Life where expenses are never an obstacle. A life where you are no longer worried. 

So directly, by being my own boss; I had the flexibility to take the time needed.

Thank you again for the question.  If anyone in the community has any questions regarding CLL; please feel free to reach out.

All the best,

IFS

Love the quote IFS, you're legit one of the most inspiring CLL patients for me personally, thanks
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

lax2018

• Visitor

Hi , Thanks for your post .
I have read it for a while .

before your post , i never think about can do it locally  but now i am thinking Dr. Mahboubian or Dr paley. 

if i do locally , will get more support form my family but still think of possibility of risk . 

Female , late 30s , try to get 6cm femur stryde.

Any advice ? thanks

InFullStryde

Hi , Thanks for your post .
I have read it for a while .

before your post , i never think about can do it locally  but now i am thinking Dr. Mahboubian or Dr paley. 

if i do locally , will get more support form my family but still think of possibility of risk . 

Female , late 30s , try to get 6cm femur stryde.

Any advice ? thanks

Hi LAX,

Both Dr. Paley and Dr. Mahboubian are outstanding surgeons.  You cannot go wrong with either surgeon.  Your success during CLL will be determined by how hard you work in the several months after your surgery.   I was fortunate enough to be local to Dr. Mahboubian and this has been very beneficial to me both physically and mentally.  Dr. M is professional, a perfectionist, and very attentive.  If you have any other questions; please feel free to reach out to me!

All the best,

IFS

InFullStryde

(Tuesday) Day 109 Post Op - Day 17 Consolidation/Recovery Phase - DISTRACTION COMPLETED....[7.5 cm Achieved / 3 inches Taller!]

Good evening CLL'ers,

I continue to just work hard every day at this.  All is well and continuing to improve; but very slowly and gradually.  There has been no a-ha moment of legs suddenly being healed.  This process is gradual and it takes work on the part of the CLL'er to get through it successfully.  As mentioned before, my problem right now is the anterior pelvic tilt, and I'm just doing as many stomach and buttocks works outs I can to go along with stretches of the hip flexors and other quad muscles.  Eventually; this issue will be relieved and at that point I can start to enjoy my new height.  Other note is that for some odd reason my right leg feels sore. I'm not sure why; perhaps I slept on it wrong.  It's almost comical to me how the "Sore" leg has switched from right to left, several times over the past few months.  Make up your mind already?! lol.  Okay guys, I'm going to get going; but feel free to ask me any questions if you got some.

All the best,

IFS

P.S. Another 5000 unassisted steps today; however used cane for balance.

TheAlchemist

Thank you so much for sharing your inspiring journey. As a prospective LLer this is one of the most insightful and raw diaries available. Truly amazing. Looking forward to the rest of your journey and excited to see you enjoy your new height soon!
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

InFullStryde

Thank you so much for sharing your inspiring journey. As a prospective LLer this is one of the most insightful and raw diaries available. Truly amazing. Looking forward to the rest of your journey and excited to see you enjoy your new height soon!

Thank you Alchemist! Your positive and encouraging words help to motivate me further through this challenging journey.  I want to be there the same way for future CLL'ers.   I'll continue to report the details and help shed some light on what we can all expect. Thank you, again!

All the best,

IFS

InFullStryde

Love the quote IFS, you're legit one of the most inspiring CLL patients for me personally, thanks

We're all connected in some way, buddy.  Glad I can help out even if its subtle.  Reach out if you need anything.  Your journey starts soon!

tallica

• Visitor

Congrats man!  The hardest part is that after one month or two months you get tired of the routine and stop stretching.  Whatever you do, do not stop ,not even for a day.  I took a 2 day break and lost about 20-30 degrees on my hamstrings and never really got it back :p

I know the hamstring muscle but what does "losing 20-30 degrees" mean, I'm trying learning the jargon slowly

InFullStryde

I know the hamstring muscle but what does "losing 20-30 degrees" mean, I'm trying learning the jargon slowly

Hi Talica! I believe that he was referring to the range of motion he had on stretching the hamstrings prior to taking a break.  No taking a "break" in CLL. Have to stay stretching each day or you will start to get stiff.  He may have been referring to the stretch where you lay on your back and pull your leg back and try to straighten your knee. 

Feel free to ask questions!

All the Best,

IFS

InFullStryde

(Wednesday) Day 110 Post Op - Day 18 Consolidation/Recovery Phase - DISTRACTION COMPLETED....[7.5 cm Achieved / 3 inches Taller!]

Good evening CLL'ers,

I hope all is well. Today was another good day.   I had a pretty challenging session at the PT clinic today. My physical therapist actually told me to not bring the cane next time because I can walk, lol!  I appreciate him pushing me.   The cane is like my security blanket; but he's right. I have to let go of ole' blue.   

18 days after...How do my legs feel?

They are looser, but still pretty tight.  I don't have that tight sensation that was so uncomfortable during the distraction phase; but rather just a tightness when I try to perform various movements.  Sort of feel like I could use some WD-40. ha ha.   With that in mind; it gets a little better each day.  I'm able to perform tasks that I wasn't able to easily; like tie my shoes, pick things off the floor, etc. I'm able to now.  I would say that I have gained a couple of inches on my range of motion through most stretches during the post distraction phase already.  Imagine how flexible I'll be by July 1st; which was my initial goal date to feel "close to normal".   I like the prospects.

What about pain?

I don't really feel any pain.  More like some aches and some soreness since my soft tissues are healing from 90 days of stretching them apart.  I try to be careful as to not ignite heavy inflammation anywhere; yet I'm pushing through any aches, soreness, and stiffness because...well, I know what it is and why it is....and I need to push through in order to resolve it.

How is your Duck Ass doing, IFS?!

ha ha, well - lemme tell ya; its still there and it's no fun.   But....it's getting better as I continue to stretch my hip flexors/quads/hamstrings and work out my abs and glutes.  My APT actually doesn't look bad at all. I'll send a picture this weekend; if I can.  The main issue with APT for me; is that it causes me to sway back enough as to where my lower back is working too hard and causing some soreness.  It's not thaaat bad; but just enough to make me have to work harder if I plan to enjoy my new height by June/July.   

Are your legs weak?

I am still, of course recovering from phase 1. Sooo, things like getting out of the chair takes a little more effort and my lower back is unfortunately promoted a bit too much and is handling walking to compensate for any leg soreness.  Having said that; My legs are stronger each and every day as I continue to simply walk on them.   I walked nearly 6000 steps today and it helps.  Imagine...I do that every day;  I should see some progress by my July 1 goal. 

Guys, let me know if you have any questions. Like I said, I plan on taking a video of my current gait and uploading this weekend along with my x-rays.  Overall, I feel like things are going real solid.   I don't mind the hard work it takes; so it's only a matter of time.   

Thank you again and all the best!

-IFS
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32   Go Up