Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Diary - January 2019 - In Full Stryde with Dr. Mahboubian of North Hollywood.  (Read 123277 times)

SimonFuller

(Wednesday) Day 110 Post Op - Day 18 Consolidation/Recovery Phase - DISTRACTION COMPLETED....[7.5 cm Achieved / 3 inches Taller!]

Good evening CLL'ers,

I hope all is well. Today was another good day.   I had a pretty challenging session at the PT clinic today. My physical therapist actually told me to not bring the cane next time because I can walk, lol!  I appreciate him pushing me.   The cane is like my security blanket; but he's right. I have to let go of ole' blue.   

18 days after...How do my legs feel?

They are looser, but still pretty tight.  I don't have that tight sensation that was so uncomfortable during the distraction phase; but rather just a tightness when I try to perform various movements.  Sort of feel like I could use some WD-40. ha ha.   With that in mind; it gets a little better each day.  I'm able to perform tasks that I wasn't able to easily; like tie my shoes, pick things off the floor, etc. I'm able to now.  I would say that I have gained a couple of inches on my range of motion through most stretches during the post distraction phase already.  Imagine how flexible I'll be by July 1st; which was my initial goal date to feel "close to normal".   I like the prospects.

What about pain?

I don't really feel any pain.  More like some aches and some soreness since my soft tissues are healing from 90 days of stretching them apart.  I try to be careful as to not ignite heavy inflammation anywhere; yet I'm pushing through any aches, soreness, and stiffness because...well, I know what it is and why it is....and I need to push through in order to resolve it.

How is your Duck Ass doing, IFS?!

ha ha, well - lemme tell ya; its still there and it's no fun.   But....it's getting better as I continue to stretch my hip flexors/quads/hamstrings and work out my abs and glutes.  My APT actually doesn't look bad at all. I'll send a picture this weekend; if I can.  The main issue with APT for me; is that it causes me to sway back enough as to where my lower back is working too hard and causing some soreness.  It's not thaaat bad; but just enough to make me have to work harder if I plan to enjoy my new height by June/July.   

Are your legs weak?

I am still, of course recovering from phase 1. Sooo, things like getting out of the chair takes a little more effort and my lower back is unfortunately promoted a bit too much and is handling walking to compensate for any leg soreness.  Having said that; My legs are stronger each and every day as I continue to simply walk on them.   I walked nearly 6000 steps today and it helps.  Imagine...I do that every day;  I should see some progress by my July 1 goal. 

Guys, let me know if you have any questions. Like I said, I plan on taking a video of my current gait and uploading this weekend along with my x-rays.  Overall, I feel like things are going real solid.   I don't mind the hard work it takes; so it's only a matter of time.   

Thank you again and all the best!

-IFS

So good of you to continue to provide these updates - it's really helping all of us

raku

Thanks for your detailed update IFS!
You are always active to ask our question and willling to help!
Could not wait see your XRay and video! Thanks for sharing.

Could I ask you the final gain height 7.5cm is measured by XRay or measure by Precice Stryde ERC? Did you measured your height? Thank you very much!
Less is more.
Maybe one cm up or down could not change your appearance.
But one cm more is definitely do harm to joint than one cm less.
English is not my first language.

InFullStryde

Thanks for your detailed update IFS!
You are always active to ask our question and willling to help!
Could not wait see your XRay and video! Thanks for sharing.

Could I ask you the final gain height 7.5cm is measured by XRay or measure by Precice Stryde ERC? Did you measured your height? Thank you very much!

Hi Raku! I'm happy to post and keep the community informed!  My measurement was actually by the ERC and my approximate height measurement.  I'll know my "official" height increase via x-ray, tomorrow.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out to me.

All the Best!

IFS
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

Renaissance

Hello IFS,

Do you think LLers could use this kind of device during the recovery process?

https://images.app.goo.gl/RhiJMSnhKgxZohZ46

Seems to be good for muscles but I don't know if it is compatible with a magnetic metal nail in the bones.

Could you ask it to the Dr.?

Thanks

InFullStryde

Hello IFS,

Do you think LLers could use this kind of device during the recovery process?

https://images.app.goo.gl/RhiJMSnhKgxZohZ46

Seems to be good for muscles but I don't know if it is compatible with a magnetic metal nail in the bones.

Could you ask it to the Dr.?

Thanks

That is a great question.  I actually believe that it might be okay, but I am not for sure.  I feel like I've seen that used at clinics for some of the CLL doctors out there.   I can see where this could help. Every little bit helps in activating areas of the legs post surgery, especially the glutes.   I'll ask Dr. M and report back.

Anyone else knows if this approach is okay while considering the magnet?
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020

Bosnian2018

Hey IFS,

now that you hit 8 cm.

would you say if someone was using a different device that has higher limits; they could lengthening to 10cm with enough determination?

InFullStryde

Hey IFS,

now that you hit 8 cm.

would you say if someone was using a different device that has higher limits; they could lengthening to 10cm with enough determination?

Hi Bosnian! I actually gained 7.5cm.  I have my x-ray today; so I will get the official length.   Honestly, I am not sure of the answer to that question.   I think it would be possible, since It has been done before but the degree of difficulty would be very high and dangerous.  Another thing; that I do notice is that once you go past 3 inches; your "functional" proportion can be impacted. It may look fine; but if one segment is too long it will be difficult to walk or jog on it.  After going through this experience; I advise that 8cm would be the absolute maximum I would suggest on the femur segment. 

InFullStryde

(Friday) Day 112 Post Op - Day 20 Consolidation/Recovery Phase - DISTRACTION COMPLETED....[7.5 cm Achieved / 3 inches Taller!]

Good day LL'ers

As promised, today would be a major update for the CLL Community on how I am doing.  Below I have provided both my current X-rays and a Video of my Gait. I'll provide some backup details to go along with each.

Quite simply put - I am 3 months and 20 days post surgery and 20 day's post lengthening and I'm feeling pretty good.   I had my check up with Dr. Mahboubian today and he confirmed that I am right on with 7.5 cm lengthening which is basically 3 inches of height increase.  Dr. M reviewed my flexibility and was pleased with where I was at.  He emphasized and suggested a few stretches to help with my tight quads; but we also noted that my anterior pelvic tilt was getting better.  We're on the right track.  Overall, the doctor was very pleased, as was I.   Further, my bones are already bridged and it is now safe to move round normally without worrying about any nail breaks.  Additionally,  both femurs are already healed enough that I can carry weight plates, etc at the Gym, as soon as I feel its safe to do so. One still needs to pay attention to healing soft tissue.  X - Rays are below.

Note that in my gait, I'm still stiff in the hips/quads; but its coming along nicely as I continue consistent PT.  Each day I have experienced improvement in my overall tightness, muscle strength and gait; so I'm confident that it's only a function of some time and effort and I'll be where I want to be and enjoying my 3 inches of height gain! 

Thank you again to the community for all of your support. I will continue to update you as I push through recovery. 

Here is my current gait below, only 20 days after lengthening 3 inches.

Here are my X-Rays that were taken today:

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 12:49:03 AM by InFullStryde »

wannagrowtaller

Really good to know you already have a bridge. Your walk looks fine. Thanks for update.
Go for it

MichaelJose

Great video!

TheAlchemist

Amazing! Walk looks good. Can't wait to see your ongoing progress!
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

Ghostfish

Hi IFS
Wow, your bones grow so fast!  Among all patents I've seen is you who have the fast bone growth!  Congrats!
Your walking is also absolutely fantastic considering you stopped lengthening only 20 days ago.  You will be walking, running, and dancing soon :)  Keep up the good work!

ok

Amazing IFS. You are an inspiration to us all.

Singapore

Amazing video IFS. please do measure your height again. I feel like the duckass is taking away at least 0.5-1 cm at my current stage right now, but it could also be that my initial measurement is wrong in which case would suck balls  ;D ;D ;D

wannagrowtaller

It's the duckass. You will see. You will be 1cm taller after it's cured.
Go for it

raku

Thanks for your video and xray! You look very good after surgery. It is very impressed.
Could I ask how many cm the xray length shows?
Thank you very much IFS ;D
Less is more.
Maybe one cm up or down could not change your appearance.
But one cm more is definitely do harm to joint than one cm less.
English is not my first language.

TheAlchemist

IFS - Question for you, how is sitting down now, and how was it during the lengthening process? I know you mentioned you were fortunate enough to work from home, and just wondering if you were able to sit down at a desk for long periods of time? I'm considering working from home as well.

Thanks,
David
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

InFullStryde

IFS - Question for you, how is sitting down now, and how was it during the lengthening process? I know you mentioned you were fortunate enough to work from home, and just wondering if you were able to sit down at a desk for long periods of time? I'm considering working from home as well.

Thanks,
David

Great question, David.  Sitting down is effortless and comfortable.  During the lengthening process sitting down was also very comfortable and not a problem  The only time sitting down was somewhat challenging was when sitting on the toilet seat.  To remedy that, I purchased a soft toilet seat cover and the sitting down part was no longer an issue.   Sitting down for long periods of time, for working at a computer as an example, should be no issue during CLL at any phase.   I advise that you set your timer to get up every 30-45 minutes at least so stand up and stretch your legs a bit so they do not get too stiff.   The more active you are the better.   

Thanks for your video and xray! You look very good after surgery. It is very impressed.
Could I ask how many cm the xray length shows?
Thank you very much IFS ;D

I really appreciate the kind words! The X-Ray also showed exactly 7.5 cm.  My count and X-ray matched up.

Amazing video IFS. please do measure your height again. I feel like the duckass is taking away at least 0.5-1 cm at my current stage right now, but it could also be that my initial measurement is wrong in which case would suck balls  ;D ;D ;D

Hi Singapore, great to hear from you.  The Duckass definitely impacts your posture. 1 cm or so is about accurate I would say.  Fortunately, when I stood up at the stadiometer at my home I was still a bit over 5'4" with the Duckass still proudly popping, lol. I think it takes only about 3-7mm off the height if you can still manage force yourself stand up straight enough.   I'm working on my duck ass every day with hip, ham, and quad stretches to go along with strengthening for abs and glutes and of course walk as much as you can tolerate.  The Duck Ass will resolve with stretching and strenthening. Its only there because of the cross body syndrome (Weak Glutes and Abs, Tight Hips and lower back)

What are you doing to resolve duck ass?

Hi IFS
Wow, your bones grow so fast!  Among all patents I've seen is you who have the fast bone growth!  Congrats!
Your walking is also absolutely fantastic considering you stopped lengthening only 20 days ago.  You will be walking, running, and dancing soon :)  Keep up the good work!

Thank you so much GhostFish! When I saw the X-Rays and Dr. M confirmed that they were nicely bridged and looking great; I was so happy.   Appreciate your positive support and always considering the upside to tough situations! I'm going to continue to work and hope to be up and going strong very soon! I'll keep you posted.

Amazing! Walk looks good. Can't wait to see your ongoing progress!

Thank you, Alchemist! I'm working hard as I can. I'll keep you posted to my progress and will keep the tips coming as well for future and present LL'ers!

Amazing IFS. You are an inspiration to us all.

Ok, really appreciate this post.  I think we can all agree that CLL is perhaps the most Traumatic situation that most of us will ever put ourselves through.  Thank you for your support and for following my diary. More is to come. 

Great video!

Thank you Michael Jose! I'm here to help any way I can.

Really good to know you already have a bridge. Your walk looks fine. Thanks for update.

Thank you WGT!  I really do hope that these details help you and others in the decision-making process on LL. I will continue to update.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 08:53:58 PM by InFullStryde »

OGfivesevener

Really nice to see you're doing so well IFS! I was just thinking man time flies, we're 5 months into 2019. You're not even at 4 months post surgery.

A blink of an eye and you're 3 inches taller. Congrats dude. I'm excited.

InFullStryde

Really nice to see you're doing so well IFS! I was just thinking man time flies, we're 5 months into 2019. You're not even at 4 months post surgery.

A blink of an eye and you're 3 inches taller. Congrats dude. I'm excited.

Thank you for the kind and good words, OG! And you're right.... Time just fly's on by.  Here I am...3 inches later.   
IFS

Movie

That's so awesome man! comes to show how big of a game changer Stryde is. excited for my turn
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

InFullStryde

That's so awesome man! comes to show how big of a game changer Stryde is. excited for my turn

You might even be walking sooner than me, Movie! I'll keep you posted on how everything goes!   

psilocybe

Haven't been here in a while but just stopped by specifically to check your progress. Wow. Amazing.

First, congratulations. You definitely deserve this.

A couple questions:
Did they say when you're expected to walk normally/if you'll ever walk normal like before surgery?

Does your butt look different nked? I always imagines it would stretch the bottom part of your glutes and look abnormal. Am I wrong?

Thank you for posting your journey!

Leggs

IFS-

I've expressed my opinions & concerns about Dr. Mahboubian, but the forum needs more videos, particularly now with STRYDE and its weight bearing capabilities, so thank you for posting this video. I hope you continue to post videos and other STRYDE patients post videos during the entire lengthening & recovery process.

InFullStryde

Haven't been here in a while but just stopped by specifically to check your progress. Wow. Amazing.

First, congratulations. You definitely deserve this.

A couple questions:
Did they say when you're expected to walk normally/if you'll ever walk normal like before surgery?

Does your butt look different nked? I always imagines it would stretch the bottom part of your glutes and look abnormal. Am I wrong?

Thank you for posting your journey!

Good morning psilocybe and thank you for checking in on my status.    The day of "normal walking" is always a big mystery and very unique to each individual so it appears.  Based on my conversations with the CLL doctors; the consensus is at around 6 months.  I tend to believe them since my walk is starting to improve each day.  My official 6 month point will be July 1st; so this leaves me about 2 months to smooth out my current walk.  I'll continue to update on status and post more videos as a progression milestone is reached.

Thank you again man and talk soon,

-IFS

InFullStryde

IFS-

I've expressed my opinions & concerns about Dr. Mahboubian, but the forum needs more videos, particularly now with STRYDE and its weight bearing capabilities, so thank you for posting this video. I hope you continue to post videos and other STRYDE patients post videos during the entire lengthening & recovery process.

Glad to be able to assist the community with actual visual data!  I will definitely continue to keep the community posted on how I'm doing and will upload additional videos as I continue to grind through the recovery phase. 

Apoplectic

• Gliding Over All

Fantastic diary dude. You're an inspiration to us all

InFullStryde

(Sunday) Day 114 Post Op - Day 22 Consolidation/Recovery Phase - DISTRACTION COMPLETED....[7.5 cm Achieved / 3 inches Taller!]

Greetings CLL'er's,

Not much different to report today.  I'll mention that the trend of "continuing to feel better each day", continues.  It's a literal thing. Once you stop lengthening and you continue to stretch and walk; your muscles start to adjust and you begin to feel more flexible each day. I'm still tight and I still have soft tissue soreness; but each day it gets better.  I'm not uncomfortable at this point.   I'm 100% unassisted walking at this time. This includes walking at home, at work, and at the gym.  I can't walk too far or very quickly yet; since I'm still a bit tight, my muscles tire out a bit early and my APT is causing some lower back fatigue. Nonetheless, each condition is getting better, bit by bit.  I am walking 6000+ Steps her day at this point.  As I type this I'm at 6275 steps.  I'll keep pushing this number as time wears on. 

My Regiment at this time:

Stretch and Strengthen 2 X per day at home (Morning and Evening)
3 Formal PT Sessions at the Professional Clinic per Week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday
Walk 6000+ Steps per day
Walk around, 5-10 minutes every 30 minutes, during the day

====

Thank you again for all your kind words and support.  Honestly, this journey would be more difficult without the LL Community here to report to.   I'll keep everyone posted.

All the best,

IFS

Bosnian2018

Hey IFS,

you're diary is really motivating for us future CLLers.

I want to ask you about your diet.

supplements vitamin or just daily eating regimen so far?

maybe you mentioned it earlier and I just missed it.

What's your water intake like ?

Anything special because man you're bone healing is spectacular. Textbook surgery right here.

InFullStryde

Hey IFS,

you're diary is really motivating for us future CLLers.

I want to ask you about your diet.

supplements vitamin or just daily eating regimen so far?

maybe you mentioned it earlier and I just missed it.

Anything special because man you're bone healing is spectacular. Textbook surgery right here.

Hi Bosnian,

I appreciate the good thoughts and comment.  I will say that I have been very strict and committed to my supplements and eating habits.  Here is what I have been doing every day since surgery:

Supplements:

Vit C, Vit D, Silica, Vitamin K and Calcium and drinking lots of Milk.
2-3 Protein shakes per day mixed with Milk 
I used a meal delivery service called Freshly.com.  It's not cheap, but it kept healthy meals coming in throughout the process without me thinking about. I didn't have the energy or interest to cook during this process.

This isn't related to digestion, but I created a fairly seamless experience for myself which was key to mental health. Worked from home, lived close (45 minutes) to the Doctors office, worked out on a home gym machine to help maintain the upper body, continued to see family and friends fairly regularly.  In the event that you are traveling to your Doctor, I advise creating a simulated and virtual situation where you can stay in touch with career, friendship, health, and wellness. I know that each of these things impacts the body over a 12 to 24+ week term.   Another thing that was helpful is that I created another 6-month goal that was not related to CLL but ran concurrently alongside CLL.  In this way; CLL didn't become too overwhelming as a focal point of my life. 

Anything I would have done differently?

I'll go into detail on that very soon, but I advise that you go outside and take walks (crutches, walker, wheelchair, whatever you can tolerate at the time)  in the sunshine and fresh air at least once a day. I didn't do this so much at the start, but my quality of CLL life and my healing actually improved quite a bit when I started to do this around month 2. 

I hope this helps.  Thanks again,

IFS
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:23:05 PM by InFullStryde »

InFullStryde

A good amount of water.  About 100oz a day.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32   Go Up