Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Penguinn- Precice II internal femurs with Dr. Parihar  (Read 186550 times)

Penguinn

Re: Penguinn- Precice II internal femurs with Dr. Parihar
« Reply #248 on: October 14, 2016, 06:23:33 AM »

Update: 13th October 2016 - 23 days post-op
Visited the hospital for X-Rays. My lengthening is going properly and 1.7cms is distracted. Pain's still manageable, just little annoying aches sometimes. Sleep is still fine. I slept for 8 hours last night and would've slept for more had I not been woken up to use the Precice machine.

I heard Ultracet was the most popular for LL patients?
Turns out, the whole time I was on Lanol(650mg) and I'm given a fresh batch in case the pain gets too much to handle. I brought back a batch I'd already used on the 29th of September home and in 2 weeks I must've used like 3 or 4, that too not for extreme pain but for aches that I just couldn't be bothered with.
http://retailpharmaindia.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Lanol-ER-650-Tablet-10-Tabs.jpg
I don't know why "Nise" was in my head. It must be the nurses saying it all the time, but the pills I was taking even in the ICU from what I recall look exactly like the Lanol ones I'm taking now.
However, Dr. P encourages handling manageable pain externally which I already do via a hot water bag. It's usually my calves that ache because of sitting idly... my quads and hamstrings don't even know I'm doing LL most of the time.

Funny thing, even though physiotherapy is encouraged by everyone for all LL methods to get back to normal asap, yesterday I ended up doing only 1 session because going to the hospital, getting X-Rays, waiting there etc. and back had me tired- and I feel much chipper today than usual. A bit stronger and flexible, even. This is not me saying anything against physiotherapy but I've noticed it before and occasional, unintentional off days seem to do me good.

Mtall

« Reply #249 on: October 14, 2016, 09:11:02 AM »

What do you think is the reason for your so-far almost painless experience? Did Dr. Parihar say anything about this?

Penguinn

« Reply #250 on: October 14, 2016, 10:27:09 AM »

What do you think is the reason for your so-far almost painless experience? Did Dr. Parihar say anything about this?

He said I should do a lot of physio and get back my muscles while things are relatively painless because if/when they get worse, I'll be better off. "Study while vacations are on because when there's one exam after another, you won't get time."

Mtall

« Reply #251 on: October 14, 2016, 11:33:20 AM »

He said I should do a lot of physio and get back my muscles while things are relatively painless because if/when they get worse, I'll be better off. "Study while vacations are on because when there's one exam after another, you won't get time."

No, no. I didn't mean it like that.
I meant, what is it about you that makes it so painless?
Was your flexibility above average when you started out? (Don't count it after you started stretching)
Is it that your age is on your side?
Or is it just that Precice is making life easier for the whole world? :)

Penguinn

« Reply #252 on: October 14, 2016, 02:44:47 PM »

No, no. I didn't mean it like that.
I meant, what is it about you that makes it so painless?
Was your flexibility above average when you started out? (Don't count it after you started stretching)
Is it that your age is on your side?
Or is it just that Precice is making life easier for the whole world? :)

Really anyone's guess.. age, surgery gone really well, luck.
Precice 2 is definitely awesome but previous patients have suffered excruciating, 10/10 pain when the epidural was out. My surgical pain was a 4/10 the first two days and then reduced to small aches. My pain tolerance is average.

Penguinn

« Reply #253 on: October 16, 2016, 05:47:07 AM »

Update: 26 days post-op
My flexibility and strength have improved over these past few weeks. My left leg that was weak and shivering during SLRs has surpassed my right somehow. Flexion is an easy 90° in both legs and extensions reach 180° although my left surpasses those(the flexion is probably 110° or so) and the right's a bit tougher. The left leg just feels a bit more free and I'm feeling a little more normal with free-er legs. The IT bands have a long ways to go still, mostly the dented areas with scars, those were cut during surgery. 
I'll finish lengthening 2cms today. Update on the pain, it has actually..reduced, probably because the small muscle spasms don't happen anymore. Mostly only my calf muscles ache which is random and can easily be managed with a hot water bag/heating pad.

The Kaiser

« Reply #254 on: October 16, 2016, 09:52:01 AM »

Update: 26 days post-op
My flexibility and strength have improved over these past few weeks. My left leg that was weak and shivering during SLRs has surpassed my right somehow. Flexion is an easy 90° in both legs and extensions reach 180° although my left surpasses those(the flexion is probably 110° or so) and the right's a bit tougher. The left leg just feels a bit more free and I'm feeling a little more normal with free-er legs. The IT bands have a long ways to go still, mostly the dented areas with scars, those were cut during surgery. 
I'll finish lengthening 2cms today. Update on the pain, it has actually..reduced, probably because the small muscle spasms don't happen anymore. Mostly only my calf muscles ache which is random and can easily be managed with a hot water bag/heating pad.

the real test after passing 5 cm, stay strong and expect the unexpected. you're doing well

Penguinn

« Reply #255 on: October 16, 2016, 10:45:07 AM »

the real test after passing 5 cm, stay strong and expect the unexpected. you're doing well
Yeah. Glad I haven't had any of the supposed "2 weeks of post-op hell" pains. The boy who did his surgery in Vietnam, Asian123's also 18 and says he didn't have much pain. It might be an age thing.

The Kaiser

« Reply #256 on: October 16, 2016, 11:18:43 AM »

Yeah. Glad I haven't had any of the supposed "2 weeks of post-op hell" pains. The boy who did his surgery in Vietnam, Asian123's also 18 and says he didn't have much pain. It might be an age thing.

i dont think age related to pain, maybe healing. were you flexible or prepared for the surgery?

Sean Connery

• Newbi
« Reply #257 on: October 16, 2016, 02:34:22 PM »

Did Dr. Parihar and yourself ever discuss what he would charge to fix any complications that may arise or what it would cost for additional surgery? By this point what do you think about your doctor himself as well as his team? Sometimes good doctors have assistant doctors or staff that aren't all that great. I've seen Dr. Divya mentioned before. Is your opinion of him favorable?
I'm not drunk! I'm Scottish!

Penguinn

« Reply #258 on: October 16, 2016, 05:11:32 PM »

Did Dr. Parihar and yourself ever discuss what he would charge to fix any complications that may arise or what it would cost for additional surgery? By this point what do you think about your doctor himself as well as his team? Sometimes good doctors have assistant doctors or staff that aren't all that great. I've seen Dr. Divya mentioned before. Is your opinion of him favorable?

In case the nail malfunctions and a new one has to be put in, Dr. Parihar won't charge for the surgery aside from some OT charges. In the rare, rare case of fat embolism, there's a device called IRA which is pretty expensive($2000 or so, I think) that you'd have to pay for. That's all I've discussed.

I think highly of the him and his team. Dr. Divya's the seniormost assistant but none of them do surgeries on their own. Aside from the hospital not being state of the art, I have no complaints.

Sean Connery

• Newbi
« Reply #259 on: October 17, 2016, 02:45:31 AM »

In case the nail malfunctions and a new one has to be put in, Dr. Parihar won't charge for the surgery aside from some OT charges. In the rare, rare case of fat embolism, there's a device called IRA which is pretty expensive($2000 or so, I think) that you'd have to pay for. That's all I've discussed.

I think highly of the him and his team. Dr. Divya's the seniormost assistant but none of them do surgeries on their own. Aside from the hospital not being state of the art, I have no complaints.

Thanks for that. Speaking of the surgery, do you know if Dr. Parihar performs the surgery on both legs or on just one leg while the assistant doctor does the other one? I have read of some doctors doing that, probably to save time or whatever. Did he do both your legs or did he do one while Dr. Divya did the other?
I'm not drunk! I'm Scottish!

Penguinn

« Reply #260 on: October 17, 2016, 03:03:58 AM »

Thanks for that. Speaking of the surgery, do you know if Dr. Parihar performs the surgery on both legs or on just one leg while the assistant doctor does the other one? I have read of some doctors doing that, probably to save time or whatever. Did he do both your legs or did he do one while Dr. Divya did the other?
Dr. Parihar most definitely did both my legs.

Mtall

« Reply #261 on: October 17, 2016, 08:29:13 AM »

Wow! Hell yeah! I've never thought of this! This is probably why some patients (regardless of doctor) feel some distinct issues with one leg, while the other is alright. It might be that one leg was performed by the good surgeon, and the other by an assistant.

Penguinn

« Reply #262 on: October 17, 2016, 09:30:02 AM »

Wow! Hell yeah! I've never thought of this! This is probably why some patients (regardless of doctor) feel some distinct issues with one leg, while the other is alright. It might be that one leg was performed by the good surgeon, and the other by an assistant.

Nope. Both legs have different recoveries. Same surgeon, same method, same healthy patient.

Penguinn

« Reply #263 on: October 21, 2016, 04:14:37 AM »

Update: 21st October 2016- 1 month post-op
Well, a month and a day actually. I'm finishing one inch of lengthening(2.5cms) today and so far my pain is 1/10. Very pleasant. It's mostly my calf muscles that ache so I use a hot water bag. I was given a new strip of painkillers last week after my visit that I still haven't even opened. I sleep for 5-6 hours. Muscles have improved in both flexibility and strength and my left leg that was lagging behind is still ahead of my right.

As for proportions, my femur doesn't look too long yet but after 2" more it most definitely will. Doesn't bother me much because it's almost always covered but what does bother me is when I'm sitting with people(on a chair/couch), my knee shouldn't poke out too far ahead.

I've become a bit thinner but mostly only in my lower body. My legs are definitely skinnier and my formerly big man butt is a pancake. I must've lost a few kgs.

The tougher 2 inches of LL await.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #264 on: October 21, 2016, 04:27:44 AM »

Again me with the same question as before. Now at 2.5cm, is the lengthening in terms of proportions start to become apparent?
I learned some stuff during this time

Penguinn

« Reply #265 on: October 21, 2016, 04:30:34 AM »

Again me with the same question as before. Now at 2.5cm, is the lengthening in terms of proportions start to become apparent?

Very little. Around 2" is where I'll start to really notice, I figure.

sashawiak

« Reply #266 on: October 22, 2016, 04:47:58 PM »

Sounds like you're doing really well. Hopefully you're able to reach your goal ;D

Penguinn

« Reply #267 on: October 24, 2016, 05:13:49 PM »

As of 2.8cms gained, things are still pretty painless. I'm into video games and don't remember that I'm an LL patient most of the day. Kinda accepted my cripple state well. I've gotten so used to moving around the bed dragging my legs to reach something and the heavy feeling that it's normal.

During physio, my left leg still outperforms my right leg because it's stronger in the quads. I've been getting a muscle pull like feeling in a tiny area in my right leg between my glutes and abductors while doing side leg movements.

My sleep is mostly ok, I sleep at 1am and wake up by 6-7 but sometimes my sleep breaks once or twice wherein I wake up and go back to sleep in a minute. Yesterday I went to bed really sleepy and woke up only 4 hours later with slightly uncomfortable legs. They weren't even in pain, I thought "is this seriously what woke me up?!" Then I took a pain pill to ensure good sleep, the only one I've taken in the past 10 days and it helped, I was fast asleep until I was woken up 3 and a half hours later. I won't take pain pills unless I'm in 3/10 pain or higher(not happened once till now) or it's one of those days I really want 7 hours of sleep cause I haven't had it in forever.

The only things that have been consistently aching are my calf muscles and I can't figure out why, but I use the hot water bag like 6-7 times a day.

I'll be going to Mangal Anand this Thursday for X-Rays and a consultation.

For those doing LL in India: If you have to travel somewhere mid LL, like I have to travel 30 minutes from my home to Mangal Anand, use something called Meru Enabled. Big cab that comes with a wheelchair. The slope comes down, you're set on it, slope goes up and you're magically in the car. Driver buckles you up and you're set. It's great and a half an hour ride or so is just 500-600 INR, that's like $10.

Penguinn

« Reply #268 on: October 24, 2016, 05:15:04 PM »

Sounds like you're doing really well. Hopefully you're able to reach your goal ;D
It's going better than I'd imagined. Thanks!

Peaceout

« Reply #269 on: October 24, 2016, 06:21:31 PM »

You have 2 broken femurs and you are literally lengthening your legs how can you not need any pain killer :o (ofc i hope it stays same.GL)

sashawiak

« Reply #270 on: October 24, 2016, 08:05:35 PM »

It's going better than I'd imagined. Thanks!

Even more impressive is you being Parihar's first precise 2 patient! He's living up to his good reputation. ;D

Penguinn

« Reply #271 on: October 25, 2016, 03:57:03 AM »

You have 2 broken femurs and you are literally lengthening your legs how can you not need any pain killer :o (ofc i hope it stays same.GL)
The nail holds the broken femurs in place lol. The pain people get is mostly post-surgical pain and after that their muscles and tissues being stretched. Physio twice a day and some luck has helped me with that so far.

hype88

« Reply #272 on: October 25, 2016, 11:52:24 AM »

Hey man, I'm looking at going over there at the end of the year to do external tibias. I want to lengthen about 5-6cm that'll get me to roughly 5'10. Could you give me an idea of how much it would cost including living over there and the recovery time I'd need!

Penguinn

« Reply #273 on: October 25, 2016, 02:26:27 PM »

Hey man, I'm looking at going over there at the end of the year to do external tibias. I want to lengthen about 5-6cm that'll get me to roughly 5'10. Could you give me an idea of how much it would cost including living over there and the recovery time I'd need!

Counting surgery, travel, stay, around $25,000 based on Kilo's experience. http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=634.0 I'm not sure about externals recovery time.

onemorefoot

« Reply #274 on: October 25, 2016, 07:49:25 PM »

I think if is pure external you will be 10-12 months in frames for 6 cm, if is LON frames for 3 moths and 120 days more or less for bone healing.
Budget will determine my future.

Bander72

« Reply #275 on: October 25, 2016, 10:43:17 PM »

Depends on consolidation, it is not good the doctor may want to wait.
Bander72: Banned for Impersonating A Dr (fake Dr.Monegal)  account

hype88

« Reply #276 on: October 27, 2016, 07:10:42 AM »

10-12 month's seems like a long time. Are you talking full recovery back to normal life? Because I'm kinda on a time line because I have a business so I don't want to away for long. Even though it's it's mainly online I kinda need to be there building it.  What's the benefits of doing LON? And could I get it done for less than $6000?

Bander72

« Reply #277 on: October 27, 2016, 09:52:05 AM »

With LON you can take the frames off after lengthening if bone growth is going well and there is the doctor in the capital of vietnam. One user here wrote a diary of his surgery there. Says the price was 5000 for LON he did.
Bander72: Banned for Impersonating A Dr (fake Dr.Monegal)  account

Penguinn

« Reply #278 on: October 27, 2016, 04:01:54 PM »

Update: 27th October 2016 - 37 days post-op

I went to Mangal Anand to get X-Rays and for a checkup.
X-Rays came out great. I'm supposed to have lengthened 3.066cms as of going there, the X-Rays show that amount approx. Approx because the bone isn't a straight line. The lower end shows 29mm while the upper shows 32. At the end of my lengthening, they use several methods to calculate the exact length gained, for now I'm on the right track and we know everything with the Precice 2 device and nail is ok.
My flexibility and strength has improved over the last 2 weeks, Dr. Parihar was happy with my extensions. For the most part, only my calf muscles ache and it's a dull ache(that has little to do with LL), so we're still agreed on using a hot water bag/heating pad for it. You're not supposed to use a hot water bag for your thigh too much because it increases the blood flow. Something like 5 minutes a day is ok, which is probably the amount of time my quads actually ache during the day. I've barely used any painkillers since our meeting 2 weeks ago so I didn't need a new strip.

My sleep is still ok. Not amazing but nothing I should complain about. I wake up twice or so during the night to adjust my position. I can easily sleep on my side now. I could even roll over and sleep on my stomach without much of a hassle but I don't try these stunts during the night. Night is when my muscles are usually stiffer than during the day. They loosen up over 10 minutes of me waking up.

Still no pain while sitting idly that I can complain about. If what I had in the ICU was a 4 or 5/10, as I remember calling it, what I have now is a 1/10. Mostly just heavy normal legs, that's what it feels like. I'll see how it gets, en route to my second inch.

Edit: The Precice 2 nail that was faulty and removed from the leg during the surgery itself was sent back to the company and tested in the lab and they say it lengthens. During the surgery it most definitely didn't, the American Ellipse representative was there too. Weird.

X-Rays, as of 3cms lengthened
Right leg: http://imgur.com/a/nYiru
Left leg: http://imgur.com/Tn2bn6O
Left leg at a sexier angle: http://imgur.com/a/Q3Ssb
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23   Go Up