Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Scheduled for nail removal + honest feelings on LL  (Read 14284 times)

Android

Re: Scheduled for nail removal + honest feelings on LL
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2018, 04:17:42 PM »

positive on making full recovery in couple of weeks, however this whole experience is mentally and physically exhausting, more so than my lengthening phase when I looked forward to growing taller.

Good point about not having something to look forward to compared to lengthening. Definitely heard similar sentiments before about removal surgery ("is this required?"). Hopefully in a few weeks your leg pain will subside for good, making this worth the effort.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Microbe

« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2018, 06:42:23 PM »

Here is my last X-ray before the nail removal. It’s not very clear since I’ve only got a physical copy.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:08:40 PM by Microbe »

myloginacc

« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2018, 10:33:02 AM »

Microbe, some anecdotal evidence: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=8915.0

Hope you've been doing good.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
Not Paley
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2018, 08:50:01 PM »

Based on what the x-ray looks like, this wasn't Paley's work. That makes me breathe with a sign of relief.

I very briefly talked with a Paley patient who had his rods removed that morning. He was walking without assistance after the surgery.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

Microbe

« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2018, 11:30:17 PM »

Microbe, some anecdotal evidence: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=8915.0

Hope you've been doing good.
Thanks Myloginacc.
Yes I'm doing much better and so far I haven't experienced the chronic pain that I experienced when I had the nails inside. I've been going to the gym and slowly working out my legs, something that I avoided, and most likely the reason for my chronic pain due to muscle atrophy. Feeling positive and much better. Thanks for all your support during this really tough time.

Android

« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2018, 06:07:10 AM »

Excellent news, Microbe. Keep it up!
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Microbe

« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2018, 08:27:36 AM »

Excellent news, Microbe. Keep it up!
Thanks Android! You and Myloginacc were both really supportive and one of the main reasons why I kept on logging back to this account to give updates. Really appreciate the support.
This past few months have been extremely tough that left me severely depressed, reflected by some of my negative and pessimistic posts.
Now that I have nearly fully recovered from the nail removal, with no chronic pain, there has been a boost in positivity and improved mental state. I've lived my past 15 years, occupied by the thought of quickly ending it all, but now I feel I have to move on and look at the brighter things in life.

fokid

« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2018, 12:42:36 PM »

remember, an unhappy mind only remembers a bad past

a happy mind can forgive everything and looks forward to life ;)

please continue to give updates.

Microbe

« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2018, 11:36:31 AM »

remember, an unhappy mind only remembers a bad past

a happy mind can forgive everything and looks forward to life ;)

please continue to give updates.
Really motivating quote, thanks Fokid! I will keep continue with the updates once every month, unless if something major related to LL or my legs happen.

Penguinn

« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2018, 07:25:54 PM »

Man I'll be honest, you've scared me. I was ready for my first surgery 2 years ago, and mentally prepared for the removal, but a month long recovery process again.... of using a walker again. Those f*cked up abductors, waddling around again. Hell no

:-\ I'm just going to keep delaying my nail removal

Microbe

« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2018, 07:45:14 AM »

Man I'll be honest, you've scared me. I was ready for my first surgery 2 years ago, and mentally prepared for the removal, but a month long recovery process again.... of using a walker again. Those f*cked up abductors, waddling around again. Hell no

:-\ I'm just going to keep delaying my nail removal
Yes this was my personal experience, maybe it may be faster for you since individual recovery does vary. Perhaps my depression may have affected my recovery. But this wasn’t an easy process as I imagined it to be when I got my initial LL. I reckon people should allow at least two weeks for this removal. I was able to walk without aid a day after surgery (only used the walker for a half a day, immediately after surgery), however my gait and endurance gradually returned with each week. Abductors exercises were really hard to perform due to the incision sites, and this in my opinion was the major muscle affected. Gait was a major giveaway, an obvious sign of surgery, despite regaining my endurance, normal gait was affected with prolonged sitting, standing or walking, even after two weeks of surgery. Now I don’t have waddling gait, but it only occurs for a few seconds after sitting for prolonged periods

totallyred

« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2018, 08:26:28 AM »

Yes this was my personal experience, maybe it may be faster for you since individual recovery does vary. Perhaps my depression may have affected my recovery. But this wasn’t an easy process as I imagined it to be when I got my initial LL. I reckon people should allow at least two weeks for this removal. I was able to walk without aid a day after surgery (only used the walker for a half a day, immediately after surgery), however my gait and endurance gradually returned with each week. Abductors exercises were really hard to perform due to the incision sites, and this in my opinion was the major muscle affected. Gait was a major giveaway, an obvious sign of surgery, despite regaining my endurance, normal gait was affected with prolonged sitting, standing or walking, even after two weeks of surgery. Now I don’t have waddling gait, but it only occurs for a few seconds after sitting for prolonged periods

Have you ever had any pain/implications/trouble/health issues due to the surgery in these2 years? Would you recommend it to others? Femur vs tibia which is better according to you?

Thanks in advance!

Penguinn

« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2018, 09:07:28 AM »

Have you ever had any pain/implications/trouble/health issues due to the surgery in these2 years? Would you recommend it to others? Femur vs tibia which is better according to you?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not the one you asked, but I'd recommend 2 inches split tibias femurs, or 6cm femur + 5cm tibias or so. If you have the mental fortitude and the money, obviously. Proportions do matter(for practical and aesthetic reasons both) and staying within the safe limit would have boosted my recovery time, or so I think

Penguinn

« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2018, 09:08:12 AM »

For example, doing situps is weird for me because of long femurs. If I do them wearing heeled boots to make my tibias proportionate, they get easier.

Penguinn

« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2018, 09:09:12 AM »

@ Microbe so your gait is still waddly a few seconds after sitting, 1.5 months post removal?  :(

Was it like that before the op or was it totally normal?

Microbe

« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2018, 09:41:37 AM »

@ Microbe so your gait is still waddly a few seconds after sitting, 1.5 months post removal?  :(

Was it like that before the op or was it totally normal?
This few seconds is not that concerning, literally only a few steps, unless if I stretch before walking then I don’t get the waddling gait. Plus it doesn’t occur that frequently.
Probably this may have been normal before my LL and removal and something I did not notice. It’s  that feeling of discomfort after sitting for prolonged periods.

@totallyrad I’ll get back to your question soon

Penguinn

« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2018, 10:15:42 AM »

The few seconds may not be concerning by itself, but it shows how far back in muscle recovery one gets sent. For example, I had that till a year post op or so. Having it again would mean getting sent back 10 months. :( I'll quit sharing my fears now, this is your thread

On the bright side, you'll be better off eventually after doing nail removal. Do you think, for you, it's eventually gonna be like LL never happened?

totallyred

« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2018, 10:38:16 AM »

I'm not the one you asked, but I'd recommend 2 inches split tibias femurs, or 6cm femur + 5cm tibias or so. If you have the mental fortitude and the money, obviously. Proportions do matter(for practical and aesthetic reasons both) and staying within the safe limit would have boosted my recovery time, or so I think

I actually wanted to ask from Penguin sir only...just quoted the wrong quote.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 12:53:31 PM by totallyred »

Microbe

« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2018, 11:01:39 AM »

The few seconds may not be concerning by itself, but it shows how far back in muscle recovery one gets sent. For example, I had that till a year post op or so. Having it again would mean getting sent back 10 months. :( I'll quit sharing my fears now, this is your thread

On the bright side, you'll be better off eventually after doing nail removal. Do you think, for you, it's eventually gonna be like LL never happened?
Yes it does, it’s an invasive surgery after all and shouldn’t be taken lightly.
I’m hoping that it would feel like LL had never happened, however there will be scars to remind me of the procedure. Guess there is no running away from it.

Microbe

« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2018, 11:16:30 AM »

Thanks in advance!
Yes I did experience chronic pain after a year post LL. Fortunately this wasn’t due to premature arthritis but the doctor suspected it was due to muscle atrophy which in turn caused muscle fatigue. The nail may have also contributed to the pain too.
Now that the nail is removed and intense physio of the legs, I haven’t experienced the chronic pain.
According to me, the safest route would be to external tibias, something that I was planning to do after my femurs. The reason is that it’s the least invasive, no reaming, lower risk of embolism, ability to have full control with the fixators. However the duration of the frames, pinsite infections and the scars are problematic. I personally would avoid any nailing to the tibias.
Internal femurs would be more comfortable,but it’s way more invasive than externals, higher risk of embolism, deep infection. Nail failure, cost and nail removal surgery are also things to think about.

It depends on how much you want to lengthen. If it’s a reasonable amount then you could aim for either external tibias or internal femurs, otherwise if you want to lengthen extreme amount, split it, as penguin mentioned above.

Johnson1111

« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2018, 12:05:58 PM »

Face the fire and get the nail removed ASAP. The faster you do it the faster it's over with and you'll get on with your life. You'll hate the decisions you make less when you do the things that you truly wish you did.

fokid

« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2018, 06:15:19 PM »

According to me, the safest route would be to external tibias, something that I was planning to do after my femurs. The reason is that it’s the least invasive, no reaming, lower risk of embolism, ability to have full control with the fixators. However the duration of the frames, pinsite infections and the scars are problematic. I personally would avoid any nailing to the tibias.
Internal femurs would be more comfortable,but it’s way more invasive than externals, higher risk of embolism, deep infection. Nail failure, cost and nail removal surgery are also things to think about.

i don't know why almost all doctors prefer to do internals if money is not a problem. i think dr paley has even stopped doing externals altogether for CLL. externals are lighter on the bone, but harsher on soft tissues and muscles.

Microbe

« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2018, 08:38:42 PM »

i don't know why almost all doctors prefer to do internals if money is not a problem. i think dr paley has even stopped doing externals altogether for CLL. externals are lighter on the bone, but harsher on soft tissues and muscles.
I think it’s mainly due to better patient comfort, and internals being relatively easier to perform compared to externals.

Penguinn

« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2018, 06:37:05 AM »

Face the fire and get the nail removed ASAP. The faster you do it the faster it's over with and you'll get on with your life. You'll hate the decisions you make less when you do the things that you truly wish you did.

It's not just fear. This will need a long vacation and I won't have that for a long time.

Microbe

« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2018, 11:20:06 PM »

-No chronic pain so far
-Did some jogging today and I couldn't believe how much better it feels without the nail inside
-So far I can say confidently that the nail removal has done wonders

myloginacc

« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2018, 11:38:09 PM »

-No chronic pain so far
-Did some jogging today and I couldn't believe how much better it feels without the nail inside

That's so awesome! You certainly deserve it after all this time dealing with the pain.

Very glad to hear it and hoping it never comes back.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

Penguinn

« Reply #119 on: July 03, 2018, 08:42:00 AM »

-No chronic pain so far

Awesome. Until now I thought removal would make barely any difference because well, the nails are inside your bones..

Did jogging make your legs tired much quicker than pre-LL, prior to removal? That's my case. If removal can cure that, that'd be great. I'll get it done next year.

Also do you think it's the screws that cause more problems than the nail while inside your body? I can't imagine how the nails cause problems.

Microbe

« Reply #120 on: July 03, 2018, 09:45:23 PM »

That's so awesome! You certainly deserve it after all this time dealing with the pain.

Very glad to hear it and hoping it never comes back.
Thanks myloginacc!

Awesome. Until now I thought removal would make barely any difference because well, the nails are inside your bones..

Did jogging make your legs tired much quicker than pre-LL, prior to removal? That's my case. If removal can cure that, that'd be great. I'll get it done next year.

Also do you think it's the screws that cause more problems than the nail while inside your body? I can't imagine how the nails cause problems.
Yes I too believed that removal won't do much difference, but my jogging felt noticeably alot better compared to when I had the nails inside my femurs. With the nails inside, my legs felt unusally tight and heavy when I jogged, and yes my legs would become tired much quicker than pre-LL. I suspect that it may be due to the weight of the nails, they're quite heavy and the legs may not be able to handle the extra weight properly. I also reckon that it could be due to the screws since it protrudes outside of the bone and the possible interference with the muscles, causing legs to feel awkward when jogging.

Microbe

« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2018, 02:22:48 AM »

Hey everyone!
Haven't updated in quite awhile...
Frankly there's nothing much for me to talk about except that I haven't experienced the pain that I experienced prior to nail removal.
Nail removal has worked wonders for me and I would highly suggest people to remove the rods if they are experincing chronic pain with nails inside.
Plus don't forget to workout your legs. The only thing that's really bothering me right now are the hyperpigmented scars. I hope they do fade but I have accepted that they will be permanent regardless of scar fading procedures out there.
For those people that had been following me since the beginning of this year would know about my mental issues I have been facing, fortunately in this current time, my depression and anxiety issues have gradually improved, although I'm still on antidepressants, which I don't think I'll ever give up, the side effects of giving them up are horrendous. The nail removal has over time improved my mental state, although I must admit that the first month after removal was absolutely chaotic!

cool

« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2018, 06:35:14 AM »

Were you antidepression medicines before your surgery also?
8)

HeightGain

« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2018, 09:55:08 AM »

Thanks for the update.

All the best with the anxiety and depression issues. Good news that the nail has improved your mental state. Hopefully there are other extrinsic factors that you can find and sort that will further improve your mental state
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up