Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Xia & Dr Li (Beijing China) Institute of External Fixation Technology  (Read 86838 times)

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
Re: Dr Xia & Dr Li (Beijing China) Institute of External Fixation Technology
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2014, 04:36:06 AM »

I don't know the answer because I never had to deal with it.  Wang Bei makes sure you have a visa for as long as you need to stay at the hospital.  She takes care of it all, no hassle.

Thegosis

• Tibias - Beijing Dr Xia - Fixated 27nov13
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2014, 01:54:13 PM »

I want the scars to stay there because they indicate exactly where the screws and rod have been inserted in each leg. That is for ease of completing the final surgery to take all that out at the end of 2016
167cm at 27 November 2013 to 175cm in mid-May 2014
Patient of Surgeons Peng and Zhao in Beijing
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=178.0
Possible 183cm, Dr Shah in Mumbai from Feb '15 (PRECICE II femurs)
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1663.0

Thegosis

• Tibias - Beijing Dr Xia - Fixated 27nov13
« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2014, 02:08:38 PM »

I want the scars to stay there because they indicate exactly where the screws and rod have been inserted in each leg. That is for ease of completing the final surgery to take all that out at the end of 2016. With the scars I can tell a story of what I underwent to others that may default to an attitude of skepticism or incredulity/disbelief.

I'd never consent to receiving a tattoo. That's déclassé. These scar marks were necessary and purposeful & hence not vain or exhibitionist thus I regard them completely differently.
167cm at 27 November 2013 to 175cm in mid-May 2014
Patient of Surgeons Peng and Zhao in Beijing
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=178.0
Possible 183cm, Dr Shah in Mumbai from Feb '15 (PRECICE II femurs)
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1663.0

mistermystery82

• Visitor
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2014, 05:23:46 AM »

I was born and educated in the US, but I attained domestic pricing through savvy negotiation.

Do not go here. On one leg, they drilled screws that completely missed the bottom of the rod. They failed to realize this even two weeks later, when an x-ray was taken. Essentially, the rod is useless since it is non-weight bearing; it is simply hanging from the top of the inside of my leg. On the other leg, they introduced a bone infection that will require further surgery, and at least 8 weeks of antibiotics. Even then, a positive outcome is not guaranteed. I visited with top Harvard/Stanford/UCSF/Johns Hopskins-educated orthopedic surgeons who were amazed at the low-quality of the surgery and the poor technical outcome. They said it takes incredible ignorance and stupidity for a surgeon to install 3 screws that all completely miss an internal rod...then not notice such a grave error in X-rays less than 2 weeks later. Naturally, these intelligent doctors immediately understood the nature of my surgery after a quick glance at my X-rays. "So you decided to grow taller, huh?"

There was another patient who had to have his second surgery twice. The first time, they incorrectly inserted the rods and had to remove them after about 10 days. Naturally, he was pissed.

Also, do not expect too many international diaries. China is not at a competitive price point to lure many international patients. There have only been 1-3 international patients at any given time since the beginning of 2014 (at least at the new hospital). Ronne/Wang Bei monitors these forums (we saw the website up on her computer) and if a current patient complained, in good English, she would immediately be able to infer who it is if there are enough details.

Go somewhere else. Dr. Xia is too old to still do surgeries; Michael Jordan may have been a great ball player, but he can no longer perform at an NBA-level. Dr. Xia's protegé, Dr. Ma, has drinking problems, cares more about flirting with the college-age nurses, and was preoccupied with having an extramarital affair. He drank heavily the night before one of his surgeries (he broke up with his girlfriend. he is also married.) on an international patient and was hungover during the surgery. The other doctors play Counter-Strike/Warcraft 3 at work. Incredibly unprofessional. This hospital is a joke.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2014, 07:27:57 AM »

Yeah, that sounds like Dr. Ma.  What happened to Dr. Peng?

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2014, 11:51:03 AM »

He drank heavily the night before one of his surgeries (he broke up with his girlfriend. he is also married.) on an international patient and was hungover during the surgery.

Jesus!!!!   :-[

A hang over, cheating doctor. If I had a gazillion dollars I could turn this into a midday soap opera  ;D

Seems like China is now a shadow of its former glory....
How are your legs now? Whats their current situation?
Can you walk, run, etc?

Gichelu

« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2014, 06:30:03 PM »

That does sound bad but I hope you can return to 100% normal. I hope other people are doing okay there. I know Liam on this forum is doing surgery there now.
The world is a diagonal. I am the balancing point.

mistermystery82

• Visitor
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2014, 01:49:30 AM »

Dr. Peng did not move to the new hospital. No idea where he is, but he's not at GuangJi either. The Chinese Health Organization (China's equivalent of the World Health Organization) shut down the Beijing hospital because such invasive cosmetic surgery does not have a recognizable health benefit in China. There are supposedly undercover police at/watching the Beijing hospital. Doctors left their white coats at home before going to visit GuangJi to avoid trouble (I met two there who discussed the issue).

Dr. Ma carries a lot of influence at the new hospital. Most of the orthopedic patients are his, so he brings in a majority of the revenue for the orthopedic unit, which is now a privately-owned hospital. He is quite the rainmaker.

My leg is seriously infected. In modern countries, a blood test is conducted after major open-wound surgeries to test for any infections that may have been introduced. They did not do this in China. However, they did in America. My recent blood test shows high levels of C-Reactive Protein (CRP). According to WebMD:

"High levels of CRP are caused by infections and many long-term diseases. A C-reactive protein (CRP) test is done to:

Check for infection after surgery. CRP levels normally rise within 2 to 6 hours of surgery and then go down by the third day after surgery. If CRP levels stay elevated 3 days after surgery, an infection may be present."

Thank you, Dr. Ma.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2014, 03:05:02 AM »

Thanks for updating us on the current state of LL in China.  I changed the title of Fear and Lengthening to reflect that Dr. Peng was the doctor who performed surgery on me and monitored my progress.  I don't want people to get the idea that their LL experience will be like mine if they go to the Beijing Institute of External Fixation now.

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2014, 12:39:43 PM »

Wow so China is now definitely a no go...

Thanks mister

Freewill

• "You can do anything you set your mind to man"
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2014, 08:12:32 PM »

So you mean Dr Xia isnt doing any LL operation anymore? is this Beijing institute is shut down? NO LL hospitals in china?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2014, 08:31:28 PM »

Dr. Xia hasn't done operations in a long time.  Even when I was there in 2007 he wasn't doing the operations himself.  Dr. Peng was my surgeon.

The Beijing Institute of External Fixation is still in operation with Dr. Xia as the figurehead and Dr. Ma as the surgeon.

mistermystery82

• Visitor
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2014, 07:44:05 AM »

Actually, Dr. Xia is still doing surgeries. This may be because it's only him and Dr. Ma now.

Firstly, all patients who opted for epidural anesthesia (just the legs) saw Dr. Xia working on one leg while Dr. Ma did the other. Secondly, no surgeries were performed while Dr. Xia was out-of-town. There was a period of about 2 weeks where domestic patients were staying in the hospital, waiting for his return for their surgery. Oftentimes, no one had any idea when he was coming back so the domestic patients were left in limbo, paying for each night's stay in the hospital but never sure when they would have their surgery. Incredibly unprofessional and inconsiderate.

Also, I don't think it's pertinent to be concerned about whether Dr. Xia is still doing surgeries. I doubt it's wise to let a 70+ year old man operate on someone. Think Charles Barkley or Arnold Schwarzenegger or any top academic researcher -- among the best in their fields, but they peak before declining. Skill and ability is not a monotonically increasing function (for the math illiterate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotonic_function).

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2014, 05:55:42 PM »

This is what Dr. Li is telling prospective patients now if they ask about the Dr. Xia / Dr. Ma / mistermystery82 incident:

Thanks for your e-mail and your concerns.  Recently there are soem changes in the hospital arrangements, in that we have relocated to a new and better hopsital.  Dr. Xia will not operate in person (as he is over 70 years and a bit slow).  Instead, Dr. Peng will be the chief surgeon in charge the LL surgery.  He has worked with Dr. Xia for more than 20 years and is very experienced.  In fact, her performed 90% of the LL cases in Dr. Xia's hospital over the last 5 years.  If you still want to come to China for LL surgeru, then Dr. peng is the best choice.

If you're thinking about going to Beijing for LL, I recommend going first and making sure that you meet Dr. Peng.  Here's what he looks like.  If you don't see him, RUN! ;)

GeTs

« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2014, 08:56:18 PM »

This is what Dr. Li is telling prospective patients now if they ask about the Dr. Xia / Dr. Ma / mistermystery82 incident:

If you're thinking about going to Beijing for LL, I recommend going first and making sure that you meet Dr. Peng.  Here's what he looks like.  If you don't see him, RUN! ;)
seriously u shouldnt feel responsable for every Beijing patients, u did it in 2007 its not like u represent them

Freewill

• "You can do anything you set your mind to man"
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2014, 10:05:03 PM »

@hallija --- why not mate? why not? after all what is the purpose of this forum? MDOW is just living up to the meaning of this forum that is to help the future LLers , i think he is doing a great noble work and i salute him for that...god bless u MDOW!

programdude

« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2014, 05:48:54 AM »

Dang looks like I dodged a bullet. At first I was considering here, though I probably would never have proceeded if Xia wasn't operating anyways.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2014, 11:58:14 PM »

Yeah, it seems that you did programdude.  Dr. Peng is the competent LL doctor in China, and if you'd gone while he wasn't there you could've ended up with a bad result.  If he's really back as Dr. Li is telling people, then it should be okay to go there again.

programdude

« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2014, 02:11:45 AM »

Hope more people edit their diaries like you. There seems to be a lot of confusion about china- between changing prices and surgeons.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

mistermystery82

• Visitor
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2014, 05:32:30 AM »

Who is Dr. Li? Neither he nor Dr. Peng are presently associated with the new hospital, Yanda International Hospital/Dr. Xia. If you're talking about Dr. Gang Li, he's in England and hasn't been associated with Dr. Xia's operation at Yanda.

As of now, the only doctor associated with Dr. Xia's original LL business is Dr. Ma. Dr. Xia is rarely around; he visits maybe once or twice a month. Dr. Ma is around 5 days a week, but only intermittently visits his patients. Some periods he visits every day he's on duty, other periods he goes unseen for a week yet is definitely in his office at the hospital. He's usually playing on his phone.

There are a lot of other doctors sharing the same space, but they have no experience or expertise with LL. They are responsible for the few domestic patients who are admitted with other ailments.

Also, it's important to understand Wang Bei's motivations. She function is as a broker and she gets a commission for bringing in international patients. After you've paid, you're lucky if you see her once or twice a month. Yanda Hospital is far from the old hospital and she hates the commute (~2hrs, one way, with typical traffic. 45minutes, otherwise) , which she uses as an excuse to avoid visiting her international clients.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2014, 07:26:43 AM »

Yes, Gang Li aka Roger Li.  He's the one who answers the emails that get sent to info@leg-lengthening.com and is telling prospective patients that Dr. Peng is back now.

When were you last there?

mistermystery82

• Visitor
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2014, 02:41:07 PM »

Like I said:

"Who is Dr. Li? Neither he nor Dr. Peng are presently associated with the new hospital, Yanda International Hospital/Dr. Xia. If you're talking about Dr. Gang Li, he's in England and hasn't been associated with Dr. Xia's operation at Yanda."

Gang/Roger Li has no idea what's going on and he's *probably* blatantly lying. I say probably, because I'm not current with the present situation and can't say for certain.

I can say that Dr. Peng was never at Yanda. I can also say he probably won't ever be. Dr. Ma is the only one of Dr. Xia's fomer protegés associated with Yanda. Dr. Xia just visits on a "consultant" basis. Dr. Ma and others said Dr. Peng is practicing more traditional orthopedic surgery elsewhere. Additionally, Dr. Ma runs the show at Yanda despite having his own boss there (the "Director"). He is looked up to by all of the other doctors at Yanda, simply because of his importance in bringing patients to the hospital. He is responsible for more than 99% of the ortho unit's revenue, and realistically, 100% (each domestic patient for LL pays $15-20k USD. Domestic patients for other surgeries pay ~$150-300, all-in). It just seems unlikely for Dr. Ma to want to bring in a more senior surgeon for him to defer to and thereby diminish his own importance to his operation at Yanda. It would be like a CEO of a company, hiring another CEO to be his boss. It doesn't make much sense from Dr. Ma's position.

It's important to remember that Dr. Ma and Guang Ji had an acrimonious split several years ago. This drove Dr. Ma to seek employment elsewhere, namely at Yanda. Following the Chinese Health Ministry's closure of Guang Ji, Dr. Xia has been forced to seek other venues for his practices. Somehow, Dr. Xia managed to negotiate something shady with Dr. Ma. In fact, Dr. Xia's nephew now has his own wing (empty) of the hospital on the second floor. This nephew has no medical training, yet he freely dons a doctor's white coat, visits the patients to give advice and has office space where a doctor normally would. This is purely a business venture and one that has focused on maximizing the amount your lump sum payment that is pocketed while providing the cheapest services possible to minimize cost of goods sold.

Update on my leg: it has a deep-tissue infection introduced during Dr. Ma's nail insertion. The infection is limb-threatening (amputation is possible) and life-threatening. I am off antibiotics so they can take bacterial cultures and I will have to have the hardware removed this month. The doctors here are still amazed that they managed to go 3 for 3 screws missing the rod in one leg, while introducing infection on the other.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2014, 10:17:40 PM »

Okay everyone, the latest I know is this:

Dr. Li got really mad when he heard about what happened to mistermystery82 and some others under the care of Dr. Ma at Yandan Hospital.  This caused him to seek out a new/different successor for Professor Xia.  An old colleague from Guang Ji Hospital: Dr. Aimin Peng.

Dr. Peng is not really "back."  He has never worked at Yandan hospital and he never will.  He's practicing medicine at China Rehabilitation Hospital in Beijing, and interested patients are being sent to him by Dr. Li if you contact info@leg-lengthening.com (Dr. Li's email).

Does the Beijing Institute of External Skeletal Fixation Technology still even exist?  This I don't know at the moment, but Dr. Peng has been given his own entry in the doctors directory here to reflect the fact that The Beijing Institute is sending their new patients to him at China Rehabilitation Hospital.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2015, 06:04:29 AM »

Update: The Beijing Institute of External Skeletal Fixation Technology's website has been updated to reflect that Dr. Aiming Peng is the official successor to Professor Xia.

http://leg-lengthening.com/

Joel

« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2015, 06:43:45 PM »

Update: The Beijing Institute of External Skeletal Fixation Technology's website has been updated to reflect that Dr. Aiming Peng is the official successor to Professor Xia.

http://leg-lengthening.com/
So would doing 5cm there be a bad idea or no?  Seemed like a nice place now I am so confused :/..
5'5 manlet of peace

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2015, 12:42:55 AM »

5cm is on the safe side for Dr. Peng.  I did 7.5 with him and many people went to 10 or even beyond.

onemorefoot

« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2017, 09:12:24 PM »

I got an email form them: now they charge you 45k!!!!, is a non go.
Budget will determine my future.

runner

• Visitor
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2017, 04:47:21 PM »

Hello Liam
Did you ever get an answer to your question?
Did some one send you another email address, because I don't get any response from the email on that site also.

onemorefoot

50k USD now, what the hell!

Bander72

Lol for external, might as well go to the South African doc or mongeal.
Bander72: Banned for Impersonating A Dr (fake Dr.Monegal)  account

onemorefoot

Lol for external, might as well go to the South African doc or mongeal.
Was a good place,now is ridiculously expensive, for people like me there even less options than before.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up