Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Pradip Sharma LON Tibias  (Read 15936 times)

BlueHen

Dr. Pradip Sharma LON Tibias
« on: July 22, 2019, 04:35:28 AM »

I guess I'll start with a little about me:

- 23 years old, male
- Starting height 176cm
- From a tall European country
- Goal is for 5.5-6cm

I had my operation on the 18th of July, it lasted around 4 hours, everything went well seemingly. I won't talk much about the operation itself, all I will say is when you're lying on that stretcher in the OT you need to be 100% sure this is for you, not 99%; it's an extreme surgery. Dr Pradip had a very good/relaxed manner before/during the operation which helped calm me down (I was shaking like a leaf beforehand).

I'm currently still in hospital, going to guesthouse tomorrow. Not much to report everything seems to be going alright. Harry comes twice a day to help work on the flexion of my feet which is currently not too bad (I was worried about this because I had tight calves even before the surgery with not much foot flexion)

In terms of pain it's been fairly mixed; obviously the first couple of days after surgery the pain was extremely bad but we managed it with constant painkillers. Since then the pain has been on and off but not too bad for the most part, I still need a painkiller to sleep. I had the most extreme pain of my life when the took me for the Xray, they had to move my body onto two different stretchers and my god I thought I was going to pass out :( - but it's better now

Biggest negative for me is that I haven't been able to poop since my surgery, I've taken two doses of some syrup they said might help but I hasn't worked so now I'm going to get an enema. I've been eating well - 3 meals a day and a snack. Annoyingly I have started to have trouble peeing also, I used to be able to pee very well into the bottles they provide but the last 3 times I felt  strong sensation to pee only a small amount came out and I felt like I was blocked up, the nurse say it's because I'm bed-bound.

The hospital I'm staying at is really very good, honestly on a par with decent European hospitals. The majority of the nurses speak English and those that don't I am still able to communicate with eventually. Harry and Dr Pradip speak perfect English - I've found them both to be excellent so far. I saw my incisions when my Dr changed my bandages and they looked much better then I expected; they were very small - and that was only 2 days after surgery. I will upload pictures of my frames and Xrays when I'm back at the guesthouse.

Last night Harry helped my bend and straighten my legs while I was sat over the side of the bed. My legs had been straight pretty much constantly for 3 days and I felt sooooo good - a little painful and sore but I felt amazing to stretch them out a bit and it took my mind off the other pain.

For anyone who's been through the surgery before - what do you recommend for pain management when I'm back at the guesthouse?

Thanks.
Undergoing LON. 1st operation on July 18th 2019. Frame removal 21st September. My diary - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64212.0

Beforeandafter

Re: Dr. Pradip Sharma LON Tibias
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 05:55:38 PM »

- 23 years old, male
- Starting height 176cm
- Goal is for 5.5-6cm

I had my operation on the 18th of July, it lasted around 4 hours, everything went well seemingly. I won't talk much about the operation itself, all I will say is when you're lying on that stretcher in the OT you need to be 100% sure this is for you, not 99%; it's an extreme surgery. Dr Pradip had a very good/relaxed manner before/during the operation which helped calm me down (I was shaking like a leaf beforehand).

I'm currently still in hospital, going to guesthouse tomorrow. Not much to report everything seems to be going alright. Harry comes twice a day to help work on the flexion of my feet which is currently not too bad (I was worried about this because I had tight calves even before the surgery with not much foot flexion)

In terms of pain it's been fairly mixed; obviously the first couple of days after surgery the pain was extremely bad but we managed it with constant painkillers. Since then the pain has been on and off but not too bad for the most part, I still need a painkiller to sleep. I had the most extreme pain of my life when the took me for the Xray, they had to move my body onto two different stretchers and my god I thought I was going to pass out :( - but it's better now

Biggest negative for me is that I haven't been able to poop since my surgery, I've taken two doses of some syrup they said might help but I hasn't worked so now I'm going to get an enema. I've been eating well - 3 meals a day and a snack. Annoyingly I have started to have trouble peeing also, I used to be able to pee very well into the bottles they provide but the last 3 times I felt  strong sensation to pee only a small amount came out and I felt like I was blocked up, the nurse say it's because I'm bed-bound.

The hospital I'm staying at is really very good, honestly on a par with decent European hospitals. The majority of the nurses speak English and those that don't I am still able to communicate with eventually. Harry and Dr Pradip speak perfect English - I've found them both to be excellent so far. I saw my incisions when my Dr changed my bandages and they looked much better then I expected; they were very small - and that was only 2 days after surgery. I will upload pictures of my frames and Xrays when I'm back at the guesthouse.

Last night Harry helped my bend and straighten my legs while I was sat over the side of the bed. My legs had been straight pretty much constantly for 3 days and I felt sooooo good - a little painful and sore but I felt amazing to stretch them out a bit and it took my mind off the other pain.

For anyone who's been through the surgery before - what do you recommend for pain management when I'm back at the guesthouse?

Thanks.

Congratulations for the new beginning I wish you all the best . Keep us updated.

Heightseeker1998

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 07:25:00 PM »

- 23 years old, male
- Starting height 176cm
- Goal is for 5.5-6cm

Thanks.

Good luck!
 Be CAREFUL.

Akito

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 02:12:11 PM »

Hi BlueHen,
First of all congratulations!!! Probably you are staying in the same room where i stayed, i can assure you that you are on safe place and with decent people.
Don't rush for anything, listen to what they say. They will provide medication for pain and if the pain becomes unbearable they even give the I.V. painkiller also.
Be shameless to ask anything you feel for, Harry is helpful.

BlueHen

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 04:16:30 PM »

Thank you very much Akito,

I've heard a lot about you! Nurses at the hospital still talk about you - I hope your recovery is going well
Undergoing LON. 1st operation on July 18th 2019. Frame removal 21st September. My diary - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64212.0

BlueHen

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 04:18:02 PM »

I moved to the guesthouse yesterday. I beats being the in the hospital. The feeling of wheeling myself to the bathroom and having a shave/washing my hair was amazing!

Unfortunately, today I woke up with really bad pain in my calves, but my right one in particular. I thought it was tightness but Harry says they are not that tight, it feels like a massive extra painful bruise on the back of leg and really hurts where the pins go in (not the skin level pin site but the pin inside the leg).

Harry has me doing some new exercises to develop some strength in my femurs which feel good, he helps me with them twice a day - he also gave me sandals to combat my foot dropping which I'm finding really good, they really reduce my pain when lying down.

I start lengthening very soon which I'm excited about. Only other issue is that I have only managed one poop since surgery, with the assistance of an enema, and that was the day before yesterday. I hope I can again soon - I am taking some kind of laxative syrup and pills.

I have some pictures to post can someone tell me how to post them here?

montahn

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 01:52:48 PM »

I have some pictures to post can someone tell me how to post them here?

to upload pic follow this link - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=2183.0
162cm  goal 177cm
Morning height: 164cm Afternoon/Night: 163cm

Adios

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 05:52:19 AM »

Congratulations! May God give you strength and hope to see your journey with quick updates.

BlueHen

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 01:36:37 PM »

I started lengthening a few days ago. After today I should be at 7mm total (including the small gap set during operation). Everything still seems to be going OK. I work hard with physiotherapy: twice a day with Harry, twice a day on my own doing exercises Harry has shown me. So far there is no sign of ballerina, but my feet are slowly kind of starting to face in - like the soles of my feet are turning towards each other, it's not bad yet but I'm a bit worried because I find it harder to combat than ballerina. Harry has given me some tips on preventing it.

Pain has been mostly low which is good. I did have one day of bad nerve pain in my left leg - it went from my lower back to my foot and was pretty bad, whenever I tried to lift my leg 1cm it was extremely painful. As I was doing a stretch with my band where I stretch my calf by pulling the upper part of my foot in I heard a massive click and had a very bad shooting pain in my back, but then after about 5 seconds it went away and I was totally pain free! I've had the nerve pain once since and I did the same thing and it cured it again.

As far as lengthening goes, I've had no pain during lengthening. The only thing I have noticed is a swelling  on my skin where the gap in the bone is which is apparently slightly unusual but not a bad sign (I'm not worried about it). I do feel some pain in the gap only when I am wheeling myself around my room on my chair with my legs gently - I suppose it's the feeling of the gap pushing against the nail - I'm not worried about it damaging anything/interfering with my LL but I do worry that it is a sign that using my legs will be painful even long after I remove my fixator, but I'll have to wait and see.

But for the most part I am happy with how smooth my journey has started, I just hope it stays this way with no complications.

You find with this surgery that there is a 'baseline' level of pain and discomfort associated with wearing the fixators and having 2 broken legs which, after you get used to it, isn't that bad. All the little (and not so little) pains on top of that tough - like nerve pain, pain from physio, e.c.t which come and go are what you worry about. It's funny how good you feel to be at the 'baseline' level and how you long to get back there when you are experiencing an extra pain. I am extremely grateful for every day of 'basline' pain! After a while you don't notice it, you have no problem sleeping with it.

I will try and embed some images of my Xrays and a couple of images of my hospital room.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/5SVzrUs"><a href="//imgur.com/a/5SVzrUs"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/8X36JNs"><a href="//imgur.com/a/8X36JNs"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="nYDVXxG"><a href="//imgur.com/nYDVXxG"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BlueHen

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 01:39:05 PM »

Beforeandafter

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 01:50:53 PM »

BlueHen

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 04:00:00 PM »

Had my second set of Xrays today. On paper I should have been at exactly 10.25mm on both legs. My Xrays showed 9.7mm on my right and 12.8mm on my left. The funny thing is, yesterday during physio Harry was feeling around my bone gently to inspect it and he said he thought there was a small discrepancy   'about 1.2cm on your left and just under 1 cm on your right'. - he was spot on. I'm happy with the Xrays; there is even a little bit of callous already which is good for this stage apparently. The only thing I notice about the Xrays is that my left leg (the 12.8mm one) seems slightly misaligned, although looking back at my Xrays immediately after surgery it was similar so hopefully if I increase the gap to about 5-5.5cm it will be OK. I will attach my Xrays below

I'm still lengthening at 1mm/day on both legs for now. Looking at my timeline - I really want to have my frames removed by 1st of October. That leaves 60 days after today for a further 4-4.5cm of lengthening. Doesn't leave me much slack considering I want to slow down to 0.66-0.75mm/day at some point, but it's doable if I don't encounter any complications, or if I am able to lengthen at 1mm/day until around 4cm. But I'll have to wait and see how my body reacts.

Not much else to report. Pain is still OK, but I'm finding it hard to to sleep. Harry has given me some tramadol, but I'm not sure I want to start taking it as I have heard it can be addictive; as long as I can bear the pain without it I will. The worst of the pain I get when trying to sleep is in my ankles, I would describe it as an ache but intense, still only about a 3-4 on the pain scale but it's annoying. I have pain during physio too actually, as you would expect.

https://imgur.com/k92hBQz

Adward

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 06:13:10 AM »

Congratulations on your successful surgery. You are gonna do well since you have a positive approach. Harry is a great human being and is going to help you all through your LL journey. Your X-ray looks great as well. Don't forget to have fun. It's a journey you will never forget. Best of luck from my side.

Beforeandafter

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 06:54:58 PM »

It’s great start X-ray looks good, Keep up the sprite think positive everything will go well.

BlueHen

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 09:40:36 AM »

Thanks for your encouraging words guys - Adward thank you for your diary, it was one of the main reasons for me choosing Dr Pradip/Harry and so far I am very happy with my choice. I hope your recovery is going well :)

I should be around 1.5cm by now, still no complications.

Right after my last post I had a fall. I was in my room by myself, wheeling myself to the bathroom on my 5 wheel chair and I must have shifted my weight or something but next thing I knew I was on the floor. I froze for a couple of seconds, fortunately I had one hand on the bed so not all the weight went on my legs. I pulled myself up onto my bed, took a painkiller immediately because the pain was bad and inspected my frames. I could tell nothing was wrong and this wouldn't be a major setback.

I'm pretty sure the fall did no damage. I haven't taken any painkiller since that night (so about 4 days) - in fact, since I've been in the guesthouse I haven't taken a painkiller stronger than a paracetamol ever, so I must be pretty lucky so far regarding pain.

The only negative is that since yesterday I have had pain in my right shin (in the gap in the bone) whenever i try to extend my right leg. When I'm not moving it's fine but it totally prevents me from doing some of the rehab with Harry on my right leg, I have no similar pain on my left. Harry suggested to take it easy on my right leg for a few days and see if that helps. We've also noticed that the right leg has a little bit of swelling over the gap whereas the left leg doesn't - so that maybe the cause, I'm icing it and elevating it as much as possible. I'm not very concerned about this because Harry says shin pain in normal and the pain you really want to watch out for is nerve pain/loss of sensation of which I have none.

Apart from that everything is still going smooth, I'm hoping it continues like this until at least 3cm. I'm already 1/5 of the way through my time in India and hopefully I have less than 2 months left in frames...

gustavklimt

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2019, 07:05:39 PM »

right side fibula seems growing slower than rest the bone. Take some more Calcium and Vitamin D daily to improve bone growth!!

BlueHen

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 02:08:16 PM »

Day 24

Still lengthening at 1mm/day, no issues yet. On paper I hit 2cm tomorrow

The pain in the gap in my right leg has disappeared and the swelling is gone thanks to some anti-inflammatorys Harry gave me. I'm able to do all physiotherapy again. Been having a bad pain in my left ankle though, I think it's because I slept with my left leg on the side and the weight of my leg was on 2 of my pins. I think I'm starting to lose a little flexion in my left foot, nothing major when I sit my heels still touch the floor easily without me thinking about it/without any stretch in my calf.

Harry says I will have another Xray in 8 days which I'm looking forward to; I'm very curious to see if the gap is the same as on paper and my callus.

My max goal is definitely going to be 5.5cm I think, and my minimum 5.2cm as that is exactly 2 inches. The reasons are 2 fold:
1) It should mean a much quicker recovery
2) I'm worried about friends and family noticing the height change. I have told none of them and I don't intend in it, before the surgery my shoes added 1.5" I'm going to find the flattest shoes on earth to go back in so hopefully they won't notice the change - maybe I can slouch half an inch too lol?

Any vets reading this I would be really curious to know if your friends/family noticed the height change?

Adios

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 05:37:13 AM »

Good brother , you doing good follow what they suggesting do your hard work now don't be lazy during lengthening so follow all the exercises.
Keep update .

Joker

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 05:30:21 AM »

Hi Bluehen ,what is your status now?
I am also want to do surgery in India so want to ask few questions if you don't mind?

BlueHen

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 06:58:17 AM »

Day 31

It's exactly one month since my surgery. I've been lengthening my right leg at 1.25mm/day just for 4 days to try and catch up to my left since there was a 3mm difference. On paper I should be at 2.7cm on my right and 2.9cm on my left by the end of today. I am getting an Xray soon.

My condition is still fine, no ballerina yet - although my left foot is slightly worse than my right, it is starting to curl inwards just slightly - when I sit with my feet on the floor the outside of my left foot hits the floor and the inside takes a second to touch the floor too, but it's not bad.

I have a little bit of pin cutting which is slightly painful, but it's only a few mm - I have some vitamin C tablets that are supposed to help with my skin and my skin does seem to be healing quickly. Apart from that very little pain - my left ankle is still a bit painful at the pin.

I'm happy with how things have gone so far, I feel like this Xray is the big one; I'm quite nervous about it tbh. I feel like if it is good, insofar as the gap is >2.4cm and the callus/alligment looks ok, then I will probably reach my goal for frame removal. I think my body can easily handle 1mm/day for a bit longer, maybe even for the entire 5.2cm. I really want my frames removed by late September.

BlueHen

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2019, 06:58:46 AM »

Hi Bluehen ,what is your status now?
I am also want to do surgery in India so want to ask few questions if you don't mind?

Sure Joker, go ahead

Joker

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 03:50:30 AM »

Day 31

It's exactly one month since my surgery. I've been lengthening my right leg at 1.25mm/day just for 4 days to try and catch up to my left since there was a 3mm difference. On paper I should be at 2.7cm on my right and 2.9cm on my left by the end of today. I am getting an Xray soon.

My condition is still fine, no ballerina yet - although my left foot is slightly worse than my right, it is starting to curl inwards just slightly - when I sit with my feet on the floor the outside of my left foot hits the floor and the inside takes a second to touch the floor too, but it's not bad.

I have a little bit of pin cutting which is slightly painful, but it's only a few mm - I have some vitamin C tablets that are supposed to help with my skin and my skin does seem to be healing quickly. Apart from that very little pain - my left ankle is still a bit painful at the pin.

I'm happy with how things have gone so far, I feel like this Xray is the big one; I'm quite nervous about it tbh. I feel like if it is good, insofar as the gap is >2.4cm and the callus/alligment looks ok, then I will probably reach my goal for frame removal. I think my body can easily handle 1mm/day for a bit longer, maybe even for the entire 5.2cm. I really want my frames removed by late September.
Doing good man keep us update , this is very helpful.

Joker

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 03:54:18 AM »

Thank you Bluehen.
Why did you choose Dr Pradeep Sharma ? How is everything there food stay and Physio ?

BlueHen

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 01:49:18 PM »

Thank you Bluehen.
Why did you choose Dr Pradeep Sharma ? How is everything there food stay and Physio ?

1) I spoke with lots of Indian doctors and had phone consultations with the 2 that ticked all my boxes (Dr Pradeep and Sarin) and I was just really impressed with Dr Pradeep. For example - I have a very rare slight condition in a part of my bones in my lower body (I don't want to say what for anonymity) and I wasn't sure if Dr Pradeep would have heard of it in English. He told me on the spot exactly why it doesn't affect my ability to get LL and his answer was exactly the same as the answers I had gotten via email from Dr Guichet and Solomin. I also had the chance to speak to current patients for both Dr's - I strongly suggest you do the same, call all the Dr's you are considering, write down some questions beforehand.

2) The food is fine, I get 3 meals a day - they're pretty flexible with what they'll give you, at first they gave me some food I wasn't really liking so I just let them know and they give you other stuff. I prefer mainly the Indian food they do so I get that most days. I also eat a lot of protein bars and have a protein shake everyday (I just order them from Amazon)

3) Physio I give 10/10. Harry does all the physio and he is amazing, he has probably seen more cosmetic limb lengthening cases than any other physio on earth lol. He is really highly educated as a physiotherapist and he actually owns his own physiotherapy clinic here in Gurgaon which I didn't know before. He stretches my feet/calves really well to avoid ballerina and monitors my condition closely. He comes twice a day and also does strength exercises for my quads and hip abductors (these help with walking I believe)

BlueHen

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2019, 09:03:51 AM »

Just got back from my 3rd Xrays - I'm very happy with them. On paper I should be 2.8cm on my right and 3.0cm on my left based on what I've turned since my last Xray. The gap is pretty much exactly that. Harry also says my callus is good considering I'm only about 34 days post surgery and I've already lengthened near enough 3 cm. I'm optimistic about reaching my goal of 5.3cm in September and removing fixators late September.

https://imgur.com/a/NNkL4oC

Joker

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 05:46:35 AM »

Just got back from my 3rd Xrays - I'm very happy with them. On paper I should be 2.8cm on my right and 3.0cm on my left based on what I've turned since my last Xray. The gap is pretty much exactly that. Harry also says my callus is good considering I'm only about 34 days post surgery and I've already lengthened near enough 3 cm. I'm optimistic about reaching my goal of 5.3cm in September and removing fixators late September.

Good luck brother...

Joker

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2019, 05:50:37 AM »

Your X-ray is looking good and so as the callus. I would really like to meet the doctor. I would really appreciate if you can give me any contact details to them.
I am definitely not going to Dr Sarin so I guess I can take a chance to conversate with Dr Pradip/ Harry.
Thanks in order brother.
Keep us updated.

Beforeandafter

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2019, 04:35:54 AM »

X-ray looks good bro, Keep is update.

BlueHen

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2019, 04:51:32 AM »

Day 36

Should be at 3.3cm on left and 3.2cm on right by the end of today.

Ah man people say things get harder around 3cm and they're dead right. Everything is a lot more uncomfortable now. I have slight pain in both my knees (it's a different kind of pain in both knees). When I straighten my legs I feel a stretch at the back of knee and it's getting harder to straighten them. My ankles are aching a lot and getting stiffer, still when I sit my heels touch the ground but it's not automatic anymore, I have to think about it. One of my pin-sites is killing me, every time I bend or straighten the leg it feels like it's cutting through 5mm of fresh skin - it's just healed super weird after being cleaned.

At least I've had no complications so far, and the finish line is in sight - I want my frames removed by Sept 20th, as long as i'm at or above 5cm in both legs. I'm going to discuss slowing my rate down to .75mm/day with Harry.

I'm so curious to see what life post frames is like. I keep having the weirdest dreams about my frames where I'm meeting my friends in a few hours so I have to take my frames off myself so they don't find out about my LL lol. And I had a dream that I'm pre-LL, walking along the rocks on some cliff face with the sea behind me and I see my parents on the beach having a picnic. My dad smiles at me and turns back to his lunch, my mum smiles at me then looks me up and down and looks sad/looks away. I continue towards them but when I look down to see what my mum was looking at I notice I'm wearing my frames, and I collapse on the rocks.

BlueHen

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2019, 04:52:48 AM »

Your X-ray is looking good and so as the callus. I would really like to meet the doctor. I would really appreciate if you can give me any contact details to them.
I am definitely not going to Dr Sarin so I guess I can take a chance to conversate with Dr Pradip/ Harry.
Thanks in order brother.
Keep us updated.

Harry arranges everything here - his whatsapp is +919560867721

Joker

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2019, 06:37:10 AM »

Harry arranges everything here - his whatsapp is +919560867721
Thank for the reply.
I had a word with him he is asking for some booking amount I am bit confused weather should I trust him with or not so just a quick query, how you paid ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up