Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs with Dr. Shahab Mahboubian - July 2020  (Read 53066 times)

Hagane

Re: Femurs with Dr. Shahab Mahboubian - July 2020
« Reply #279 on: October 13, 2020, 04:17:23 AM »

congrats dude!
Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

BelowTheMean

« Reply #280 on: October 13, 2020, 05:53:15 AM »

Congrats on hitting 8cm! I would definitely not be surprised if you have the record for lengthening speed, and I'm glad your soft tissue was able to handle the pace of lengthening. On to consolidation!
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #281 on: October 13, 2020, 06:01:33 AM »

Congratulations Bro!
I'm amazed at your pain management during your journey. You reached your 8cm target relatively easy. Enjoy your new height and new life!

Thanks bro, it was relatively to what many CLL'ers experience, easy; yet it was one of the hardest challenges I have faced and certainly the hardest physical challenge I have had whole my life.

I have put all the remedies and ideas already here. Next I am going to add all the details of my stretching exercises; hoping it would help other CLL'ers check mine and adjust theirs if necessary.

Sunshin bro, I have no doubt you'll get to 8cm, but I wish you a quick back-to-normal or back-to-new-normal-that-would-amaze-you :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 06:22:56 AM by StrydeNailChallenge »
Starting [Morning] Height: 172.5 cm, Ending: 180.5
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #282 on: October 13, 2020, 06:03:12 AM »

Wow...You are beating everyone's record to reach 8cm the fastest and congrats!!!  Thank you and enjoy your new height. Wishing you a quick recovery :)

Thanks readprecisestryde,  your advice on nerve pain management was very helpful. I owe it to you, my bro. I hope you also enjoy your new height and new life up there :)
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #283 on: October 13, 2020, 06:04:08 AM »

congrats dude!

Thanks wannabeidol bro, wish you the best,
SNC

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #284 on: October 13, 2020, 06:05:09 AM »

Congrats on hitting 8cm! I would definitely not be surprised if you have the record for lengthening speed, and I'm glad your soft tissue was able to handle the pace of lengthening. On to consolidation!

Thanks BelowTheMean brother,    On to consolidation!
Best Wishes bro,
SNC

asian

« Reply #285 on: October 13, 2020, 01:12:16 PM »

Congrats bro! You're amazing! Your diary will definitely help future CLLers!
Femurs Stryde 8cm with Giotikas September 2020
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65588.0

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #286 on: October 16, 2020, 05:55:16 AM »

Day 82 Post-op (Mon., Oct. 12) and Consolidation Day 1

My next appointment with Dr. M. had been set to be on Oct. 20th, but considering I already hit 8cm, I preponed the meeting to Oct 13th (tomorrow) to get x-rays and make sure everything is okay.

Meanwhile, I have stopped using the device, even if Dr. M., said that using it a couple times after hitting 8cm, would be okay. Since I am not sure if I hit 8cm yesterday, or even earlier, I have decided to not use the device before meeting Dr. M.

I decided to cut down my painkiller (from two Gabapentin and two Tramadol pills per day) to one Gabapentin and one Tramadol per day starting today.

I was a bit disappointed that the pain did not start to exponentially get better today, but I guess that's the way it is. I hope in a week or two, I see substantial improvement in terms of pain, and flexibility.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 07:05:40 AM by StrydeNailChallenge »

Movie

« Reply #287 on: October 16, 2020, 08:11:11 AM »

For me pain started going down 3-4 days after distraction, give it some time. Happy to see you're done with distraction, time flies
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #288 on: October 16, 2020, 02:27:20 PM »

Day 83 Post-op (Tue., Oct. 12) - Consolidation Day 2

I was planning to run a distraction session when I meet Dr. M.; to show him exactly how the devices sounds and see whether he is sure that I have hit 8cm. Based on today's x-rays, Dr. M., measured my left at 8cm and my right at 7.8.

Right is 3mm taller than what we had planned for. Dr. M. said I had two options: 1) flipping the device and try to shorten by as much as 3mm, 2) keep as is, cause 3mm would not make much of a difference.   He was more inclined towards option 2 and I also thought I should just leave things as they are.

I asked Dr. M., whether I should go for another x-ray I got before I started the surgery where they measure the hip level, etc. accurately. He said, there is no reason and he is confident on the accuracy of his measurements (80mm on left and 78mm on right).

My next appointment with him would in three months (Jan. 2021). Meanwhile he said I should focus on fixing the quad issues (cannot bend knees as flexibly as I used to before the 14 day quick distraction schedule I had to go through a few weeks ago.

He is impressed by how tall I have become and took pictures with me (for before/after comparisons), but also mentioned that I have not realized my full height, cause my knees are not completely straight and I should generally see improvement in my body, which make me stand taller as well. 

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #289 on: October 16, 2020, 07:30:17 PM »

Day 84 Post-op (Wed., Oct. 14) - Consolidation Day 3
Day 85 Post-op (Thurs., Oct. 15) - Consolidation Day 4
Day 86 Post-op (Fri., Oct. 16) - Consolidation Day 5

Pain gradually gets better but at a slow rate, slow enough to not not allow me to completely stop the painkillers. So far I have cut down the painkillers by 50% starting consolidation day 1.  I plan to stop Gabapentin in about 5 days or so, which means I would then be on one Tramadol pill per day.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #290 on: October 17, 2020, 03:24:52 AM »

My Stretching Exercises During Distraction

I always wanted to post my list of exercises at some point. bondo had asked for it too, so I got more motivation to do this. There is a good chance I have to keep updating this list with more descriptions and/or videos to make them more complete.  I would therefore version the list all the way to the final list:

The way I have numbered them is weird. I do not know why that numbering worked for me. I keep that numbering as I remember them in my brain:

Exercises:

1) My number one exercises looks similar to the one that starts around second 42: 
I try to grab my thighs with my hands on the sides and try to push further. As I got taller, unfortunately I have failed to reach my toes with my hands. I hope someday I can make it happen gain :)

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #291 on: October 17, 2020, 07:04:03 AM »

My Stretching Exercises During Distraction

I always wanted to post my list of exercises at some point. bondo had asked for it too, so I got more motivation to do this. There is a good chance I have to keep updating this list with more descriptions and/or videos to make them more complete.  I would therefore version the list all the way to the final list:

The way I have numbered them is weird. I do not know why that numbering worked for me. I keep that numbering as I remember them in my brain:

Exercises:

1) My number one exercises looks similar to the one that starts around second 42: 
I try to grab my thighs with my hands on the sides and try to push further. As I got taller, unfortunately I have failed to reach my toes with my hands. I hope someday I can make it happen gain :)

2) The one that starts around second 1:25, in the same video for exercise 1:    These days, since I cannot bend my knees that much, it looks like what the guy in the video does, but I would like to improve in bending one legs further during consolidation.

3) The one that starts around second 2:04 in the same video: , however instead of towels, I use my hands to bring the leg up. Also when up, I try to tilt the leg as an extra exercise.

4) I think this exercise is similar to squats, but I do this on the bed. while sitting with my legs straightened at start, I bend my knees and try to sit up on my toes, using my hands on the floor as support. This is very difficult for me, cause of my stiff quads.

5) Thomas stretch:   However I use my hands behind my thighs to push them further towards my chest.

6) while sitting on the bed, I make a diamond shape with legs (bent knees, toes touching). I push my chest towards my tibias, while my hands are on my toes.

7) I lie down on my back, with knees bent and legs far apart by as much as my shoulders. I then roll my legs to the right all the way to the floor and then repeat for the left side. This exercises makes me feel relaxed a bit, otherwise, it's not as important as others.

8) This is like a set of exercises: 
8a) I do the one that starts around second 1:25 in

8b) I lie down on my side at the edge of the bed, with my back facing the side of the bed. I then take on leg slightly up and then moving back from bed and down towards the side wall of the bed. I do that for several times for each side.

8c) I like down on my back close to the edge of the bed, then move the leg that is closer to the edge down along the sidewall of the bed, while the other leg is on the bed, bent to support the move.

m7liam

« Reply #292 on: October 17, 2020, 09:51:31 AM »

Day 83 Post-op (Tue., Oct. 12) - Consolidation Day 2

I was planning to run a distraction session when I meet Dr. M.; to show him exactly how the devices sounds and see whether he is sure that I have hit 8cm. Based on today's x-rays, Dr. M., measured my left at 8cm and my right at 7.8.

Right is 3mm taller than what we had planned for. Dr. M. said I had two options: 1) flipping the device and try to shorten by as much as 3mm, 2) keep as is, cause 3mm would not make much of a difference.   He was more inclined towards option 2 and I also thought I should just leave things as they are.

I asked Dr. M., whether I should go for another x-ray I got before I started the surgery where they measure the hip level, etc. accurately. He said, there is no reason and he is confident on the accuracy of his measurements (80mm on left and 78mm on right).

My next appointment with him would in three months (Jan. 2021). Meanwhile he said I should focus on fixing the quad issues (cannot bend knees as flexibly as I used to before the 14 day quick distraction schedule I had to go through a few weeks ago.

He is impressed by how tall I have become and took pictures with me (for before/after comparisons), but also mentioned that I have not realized my full height, cause my knees are not completely straight and I should generally see improvement in my body, which make me stand taller as well.

This is my biggest fear. Legs not being even. I think the only way to do it is to either get xray measurements or otherwise use the wall to measure yourself

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #293 on: October 17, 2020, 02:55:38 PM »

This is my biggest fear. Legs not being even. I think the only way to do it is to either get xray measurements or otherwise use the wall to measure yourself

I tried to use the wall, by standing on both legs, and standing on each leg. Therefore every time I had three different measurements and the single leg standing was to find the height difference. However I found that very unreliable. Depending on how you would stand, and maintain your body results would change considerably, at least by a couple millimeters.

I think the best way is x-ray measurements. Your medical insurance should cover for it, cause it's about height discrepancy.   However emphasize that you need the measurements for the gap between the two broken bones. Unfortunately the clinic finally did not measure it, but Dr. M. did and he was very confident about accuracy and resolution.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #294 on: October 17, 2020, 02:57:33 PM »

This is what the clinic sent me. All I get from it is that the two legs were almost same height, but I don't understand anything more:

CLINICAL HISTORY: Reason: s/p lengthening procedure.

COMPARISON: No previous study available.

Findings:
RIGHT HIP:
Distance from center of femoral head to medial femoral condyle is:
50.2 cm
Distance from medial femoral condyle to center of tibial plafond is:
34.1 cm
Distance from center of femoral head to center of tibial plafond is:
84.3 cm

LEFT HIP:
Distance from center of femoral head to medial femoral condyle is:
50.2 cm
Distance from medial femoral condyle to center of tibial plafond is:
34 cm
Distance from center of femoral head to center of tibial plafond is:
84.2 cm

IMPRESSION: There is no significant leg length discrepancy in both
lower extremity.

This report electronically signed by Dr. X YYY M.D. on
10/10/2020 11:54 PM

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #295 on: October 17, 2020, 03:00:31 PM »

For me pain started going down 3-4 days after distraction, give it some time. Happy to see you're done with distraction, time flies

Thanks Movie. Yesterday (Friday) on day 5, was particularly painful, but overall I see improvement.

By the way, how much pressure do you think I should put on the quads doing squats, etc. ?    Is it constructive if I put too much pressure, which means a lot of pain; but hoping things would improve faster?

Movie

« Reply #296 on: October 17, 2020, 07:09:02 PM »

I didn't start squatting until after about a month in consolidation, and I didn't add any weight to my leg exercises until after around 3 months in consolidation. 
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #297 on: October 18, 2020, 03:13:30 AM »

The List of my Stretching Exercises. Version 1:

I do each of the following several times in each stretching session:

1) My number one exercise looks similar to the one that starts around second 42: 

2) The one that starts around second 1:25, in the same video for exercise 1:   

These days, since I cannot bend my knees that much, it looks like what the guy in the video does, but I would like to improve in bending one legs further during consolidation.

3) The one that starts around second 2:04 in the same video: , however instead of towels, I use my hands to bring the leg up. Also when up, I try to tilt the leg as an extra exercise.

4) I think this exercise is similar to squats, but I do this on the bed. while sitting with my legs straightened at start, I bend my knees and try to sit up on my toes, using my hands on the floor as support. This is very difficult for me, cause of my stiff quads.

5) Thomas stretch:   

However I use my hands behind my thighs to push them further towards my chest.

6) while sitting on the bed, I make a diamond shape with legs (bent knees, toes touching). I push my chest towards my tibias, while my hands are on my toes.

7) I lie down on my back, with knees bent and legs far apart by as much as my shoulders. I then roll my legs to the right all the way to the floor and then repeat for the left side. This exercises makes me feel relaxed a bit, otherwise, it's not as important as others.

8 ) This is like a set of exercises:
8a) I do the one that starts around second 1:25 in

8b) I lie down on my side at the edge of the bed, with my back facing the side of the bed. I then take on leg slightly up and then moving back from bed and down towards the side wall of the bed. I do that for several times for each side.

8c) I like down on my back close to the edge of the bed, then move the leg that is closer to the edge down along the sidewall of the bed, while the other leg is on the bed, bent to support the move.

9) This is like a set of exercises. I would like to clarify that my list mostly focuses on the legs, but there are some moves that are generally helpful for the body to stay flexible.
9a) Cobra:

9b) Cat:

But I also add the fellow's move around second 17:

9c) I had recommended this to Movie, for knee pain. I had learnt this from a PT a few years ago, and it helped me manage the knee pain I had at the time:   I start with a plank like around second 38 in this video:
I then move my body up and down for 40 to 60 times each time.

10) I sit with my legs bent towards my chest. I then use a stretch band to tie my knees together right at the upper knee parts. I then try to move the knees apart by as much as I can.

11) A set:
11a)  I use a towel and do the exercise that starts around second 1.31 in the video of exercise 1:

11b) I wrap a towel around my ankle, and try to pull the towel towards myself (which makes my knee bend), while keeping the other leg straight. I do this several times for each leg.

12) I sit at the edge of a bed, chair, sofa, etc., with both legs on the ground, one bent and one straight. I then move my body forward. The more forward, the higher the pressure on hamstrings.

13) Standing next to the bed for support, I bend to touch the ground with my hands. This is my comfort zone, as it takes me a few second to warm up and easily touch the ground with both hands, or one hand, while trying to keep my knees straight using the bed sidewall as support.

14) I had lost my six-packs in the last couple years, but still had ab tones, and some horizontal lines that made it look athletic. One negative impact of this surgery was losing  too much weight for me, out of which something good came out: I've got my six-packs back. The weight loss could partially be caused by the painkillers and the pain itself, but I have not read a reliable article about that. It's just what I have heard or red in blogs.
 To maintain my six-packs I do a lot of quick short sit-ups. By short, I mean my sit-ups are like half way what a normal sit-up is. I barely get up from the floor, but my trick is that I do it many times (e.g., 200 times each round). While doing the fast sit-ups, I also move my face to the left and right, every ew sit-ups, to have the jawline and avoid getting double chins. I hope this helps those who would like to lose their love handles and abs' fat and create or maintain their jawline.

15) I have recently started doing this just once per day: I lie on my back and lift one leg up and down several times. I also do this while standing and using a chair or wall as support to life one leg towards back or sides. This is for butt guys like me (butt guy is an official name a BoneStretching gave us on Movie's diary for those guys like us with flat butts :D) to try to reclaim their butt muscles.

16) last but not least, walking, indoor cycling, and going uptrains and downstairs, are very helpful in stretching and strengthening leg muscles.

I hope this list of 16 sets of exercises are helpful!

Feel free to add more to this list or make changes, if you think necessary. If so, it would be nice to know your idea here.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 05:14:57 AM by StrydeNailChallenge »

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #298 on: October 18, 2020, 03:15:48 AM »

Looking forward to it SNC. Thanks!

brondo bro, finally posted my list of stretching exercises.   Hope you find it useful.

simple

« Reply #299 on: October 18, 2020, 11:00:25 AM »

what kind of bull  is this?! You are 48 years old and getting a limb lengthening? this is obviously bs. You just want to promote the surgery. I no longer trust this forum. I had my fair share of suspension before but now i am sure some people here are just working for doctors or maybe the doctors themselves are writing this.
not sure if 5 cm is worth it.
"Secure men can date tall women.. just saying'" - tweet from Helen Yee

Bane

« Reply #300 on: October 18, 2020, 04:32:01 PM »

what kind of bull  is this?! You are 48 years old and getting a limb lengthening? this is obviously bs. You just want to promote the surgery. I no longer trust this forum. I had my fair share of suspension before but now i am sure some people here are just working for doctors or maybe the doctors themselves are writing this.

48 years old is not too late to get CLL. There are patients in their 50s and 60s who have gotten CLL and worked fine for them. It's recommended, but not required, for a CLL patient's age to be under 50.

Ascending

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #302 on: October 18, 2020, 07:09:33 PM »

what kind of bull  is this?! You are 48 years old and getting a limb lengthening? this is obviously bs. You just want to promote the surgery. I no longer trust this forum. I had my fair share of suspension before but now i am sure some people here are just working for doctors or maybe the doctors themselves are writing this.

While stretching, you may play songs like this. I like my stretching sessions, quiet, though:

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #303 on: October 18, 2020, 07:12:32 PM »

I wished I had seen these earlier - they make stretching so much easier:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PHYSIOWORX-Adjustable-Stretch-Hamstring-Fasciitis/dp/B01BOYWI5U

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Volking-Stretching-hamstring-stretcher-stretching/dp/B0863TNW67/

Thanks Ascending,
They seem interesting. Did you use them yourself?

I have developed this sense of trying to be a minimalist. I have donated a lot of stuff this year, trying to minimize the items I see in my place, especially the ones I don't get to touch or use for a long time.   

Ascending

« Reply #304 on: October 18, 2020, 08:56:44 PM »

Thanks Ascending,
They seem interesting. Did you use them yourself?

I have developed this sense of trying to be a minimalist. I have donated a lot of stuff this year, trying to minimize the items I see in my place, especially the ones I don't get to touch or use for a long time.
I started using them both in the last two months.  The Physioworx kit is brilliant and made the most difference and it is configurable so that you can start with a slight incline and up it as you get more flexible.  I have it in my living room so that whenever I get up nad go past it, I use it.  This has reduced the discomfort I used to get by standing up after sitting for a long while.  The other kit is a replacement for the towel I previously used for doing the hamstring stretch and is much easier - Have it near my bed so I can do stretches in the night and morning.  Both are very useful indeed.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #305 on: October 18, 2020, 09:39:49 PM »

I started using them both in the last two months.  The Physioworx kit is brilliant and made the most difference and it is configurable so that you can start with a slight incline and up it as you get more flexible.  I have it in my living room so that whenever I get up nad go past it, I use it.  This has reduced the discomfort I used to get by standing up after sitting for a long while.  The other kit is a replacement for the towel I previously used for doing the hamstring stretch and is much easier - Have it near my bed so I can do stretches in the night and morning.  Both are very useful indeed.

Thanks Ascending for letting me know. Do you think any of them could help with quads? I have had a hard time bending my knees for weeks now!   

readyprecisestryde

« Reply #306 on: October 18, 2020, 09:58:24 PM »

I met several patients @Paley that were in their 40s, 50s and one person was almost 60 years old. It's more common than you think

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #307 on: October 18, 2020, 10:08:19 PM »

I met several patients @Paley that were in their 40s, 50s and one person was almost 60 years old. It's more common than you think

Thanks readyprecisestryde bro for the support.   

If someone reads my diary, they can see that in many cases, I discouraged people from doing this surgery cause of the unexpected challenges they would face (mainly the pain level that would most likely surprise even the toughest guy in the world)!  My goal here was to educate future CLL'ers to seriously think about what they are going to face and if they are not up for it, then forget about this surgery forever.

I have also repeatedly mentioned my motivation which is doing this surgery for the challenges it involves! not for other typical reasons (for girls, jobs, self-esteem, etc.). Before this surgery based on my body structure, and considering the way I dress and look, you would consider me as average, the least, if not above average or tall. I did not need to be 8cm taller. Only those who are into breaking records could truly understand what I mean by doing this surgery just for the sake of the challenges, not the height increase. Now doing this challenge when you are older, just makes it more interesting; cause you would want to show to yourself that you can successfully go through it, even at this age. I would do this challenge even if I were at 90, considering the crazy motivation I have to break records.

I did my diary only to help the LL'er community, cause what IFS (InFullStryde) and later Movie and others wrote here helped me a lot and I wanted to return the favor.

One more thing: If someone by coming to this forum, gets discouraged from doing CLL, it sounds safe to me. However if someone does the surgery just because he or she was encouraged by this forum, the surgery is doomed to fail, cause this surgery takes much more than getting encouragement from this forum. The way it works is that you would first decide to do this surgery, then come to this forum for more information. Based on that information you would either quit, or would still do the surgery informed by this forum. If anybody does this surgery solely based on my diary or anybody else's it would be pure stupidity!

Based on my line of work and my age, I have seen so many folks and I can quickly sense those with problems. This guy is not worth my time and attention! I would simply ignore folks like this guy!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 11:26:52 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »

simple

« Reply #308 on: October 19, 2020, 05:25:21 AM »

can you prove me wrong?
not sure if 5 cm is worth it.
"Secure men can date tall women.. just saying'" - tweet from Helen Yee

Ascending

« Reply #309 on: October 19, 2020, 09:59:02 AM »

Thanks Ascending for letting me know. Do you think any of them could help with quads? I have had a hard time bending my knees for weeks now!
Yes you could use the Volking stretching system to bend you knee whilst lying on you front.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23   Go Up