Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 10 cm on my tibias?  (Read 51043 times)

ReadRothbard

10 cm on my tibias?
« on: August 12, 2014, 08:47:30 AM »

Hi, I think I'm going to do 10 cm on my tibias at the Russian Scientific Centre using the Ilizarov external fixators (though I'm strongly considering Dr. Barinov, as he does LON). Now, I'm wondering if I will be able to return to weight lifting 6-7 months after the operation, as I am an avid weightlifter and swimmer. Also, will 10 cm permanently affect my athletic ability (mainly lower body strength)? Thank you.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

Re: 10 cm on my tibias?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 11:08:18 AM »

Hi, I think I'm going to do 10 cm on my tibias at the Russian Scientific Centre using the Ilizarov external fixators (though I'm strongly considering Dr. Barinov, as he does LON). Now, I'm wondering if I will be able to return to weight lifting 6-7 months after the operation, as I am an avid weightlifter and swimmer. Also, will 10 cm permanently affect my athletic ability (mainly lower body strength)? Thank you.

No not really. 10 cm aren't recommended but RGKEY did 9cm successfully (http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=395.0) so it is possible but you will need at least 10 months (1 month per cm) to be fully recovered if everything goes perfectly, if not it can be a long time if you do external only. If you do LON you also won't be able to do weight lifting after 6-7 months.

LL won't affect your athletic ability if you work really hard on your recovery, but if you don't you will damage your tendons and muscles.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 07:00:53 PM »

I don't know about 10cm, but 7.5cm didn't affect my lower body strength.  In fact I could lift more after the surgery than I could before.

Daylight

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 07:29:32 PM »

Failed.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 07:32:10 PM »

For a length of 10 cm I'd go with LON despite the risk of knee pain just to avoid the insane amount of time you'd be required to wear the frames. You should really consider splitting that amount between tibs and femurs though.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 11:54:25 AM »

What about plating? Could that be the happy medium? 10 cms and hopeful to do weightlifting after 7 months? Seems impossible if you ask me, way too soon. But do let us know if you make it
Good luck friend

Sweden

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 12:30:37 PM »

It won't look good. You will have difficulties for the rest of your life. It will take more than a year before you can even think of lifting weights with your legs.

There is a limit of 5cm for many reasons and you want to go 100% beyond that.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

The View

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 09:29:39 PM »

I don't know about 10cm, but 7.5cm didn't affect my lower body strength.  In fact I could lift more after the surgery than I could before.

wow I find that really interesting loosing strength is one of my biggest concerns and I was expecting to seriously loose my leg strength and be never the same at sport again and it's really encouraging that you actually got stronger :)

The View

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 09:43:17 PM »

What about plating? Could that be the happy medium? 10 cms and hopeful to do weightlifting after 7 months? Seems impossible if you ask me, way too soon. But do let us know if you make it
Good luck friend

What is plating? in the context of limb lengthening.

mediocre

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 12:53:14 AM »

I think 10cm is suprahuman and those who can do it are very rare. That lengthening is an exception.

You can't have both ways. If you go 10cm or even around that length (8-10cm), you will sacrifice some of your athletic abilities.

Overdozer

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 02:02:49 AM »

10cm is easy, even kids do more (the ones that have achondroplasia), but your tibia-femur proportions may not look very good, you have to judge by yourself. And it will require you some agressive PT to stretch your achilles tendon, else you'll need a surgery to cut (release) it. You'll also need to work on your knee, your hamstrings and gastrocnemius will be very tight from such lengthening and you wont be able to straigthen your legs fully! You will recover fully, if you exercise daily, there's no data I can find that shows correlation between amount lengthened and lost muscle strength.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20298828
There was no association between muscle strength and the amount of lengthening that had been undertaken.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

Taller

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 02:04:45 AM »

My advice is to lengthen to 5CM. If you are completely complication free, go to 6. If you're still fine, go to 7 etc. If ballerina starts to appear or you have any difficulty walking, stop lengthening until these issues fully resolved themselves. If your bones consolidate before these issues are solved, then just be happy that you got some additional height. If they don't consolidate by the time your complications clear up, then press on until you either reach 10CM or can't recover from the complications before bone consolidation. Good luck!

Taller

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 02:08:26 AM »

10cm is easy, even kids do more (the ones that have achondroplasia), but your tibia-femur proportions may not look very good, you have to judge by yourself. And it will require you some agressive PT to stretch your achilles tendon, else you'll need a surgery to cut (release) it. You'll also need to work on your knee, your hamstrings and gastrocnemius will be very tight from such lengthening and you wont be able to straigthen your legs fully! You will recover fully, if you exercise daily, there's no data I can find that shows correlation between amount lengthened and lost muscle strength.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20298828
There was no association between muscle strength and the amount of lengthening that had been undertaken.

Achondroplasia patients can lengthen much, much more easily than healthy cosmetic LL patients. You see, achondroplasia patients' muscles were meant to be longer and were never able to grow to its intended length, but their soft tissue is "made" to be stretched unlike ours. So, kids with achondroplasia will have the easiest time of all, especially since their levels of hormones such as HGH are naturally very high, allowing muscles to adapt and grow instead of stretching. This is not the case in adults.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:36:28 AM by Tall »

Overdozer

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 02:25:39 AM »

You see, achondroplasia patients' muscles were meant to be longer and were never able to grow to propose length, but their soft tissue is "made" to be stretched unlike ours
Sorry, you're talking complete nonsense. Try to actually find data to backup your statement. I know for sure that those kids also get the very same complications, that adults do, there are papers with statistics showing mean amount lengthened, ROM after lengthening and ROM 1 year after removing frames. It's on russian anyways, so you wont understand. Also, take a look at the link in my previous message, it clearly states that there is no correlation between amount lengthened and muscle strength. Also, no one is stopping you from taking HGH, it's proven to also speed up bone consolidation.

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

Sweden

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 02:48:31 AM »

Your muscle will never be explosive again after 10cm.

There is do much more to it than just bones and muscles.

It's frightening to see individuals totaly believe that 10cm is easy or that they wiLL Forumully recover. Christ!!

Being stronger after LL doesn't say more than the actual person can push more weights at the gym. Anyone can do that but jumping high or doing backflips is something different which he will never be able to do again.

To kick fast is also impossible after LL or to do a spinning round kick bc your longer leg breaks up the speed when you're spinning.

Not that you need to be able to do this, but 10cm is devastating for your body. It will also look very weird.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 02:57:01 AM »

Your muscle will never be explosive again after 10cm.

There is do much more to it than just bones and muscles.

It's frightening to see individuals totaly believe that 10cm is easy or that they wiLL Forumully recover. Christ!!

Being stronger after LL doesn't say more than the actual person can push more weights at the gym. Anyone can do that but jumping high or doing backflips is something different which he will never be able to do again.

To kick fast is also impossible after LL or to do a spinning round kick bc your longer leg breaks up the speed when you're spinning.

Not that you need to be able to do this, but 10cm is devastating for your body. It will also look very weird.

While i agree with you that full 100% recovery isnt possible if you go beyond the safe limit (5 or 6 cm) in terms of muscle strength and tendon flexibility etc, i think part of the reason why you cant kick fast anymore is because of the extra weight from the internal nails you are carrying in your tibias. The other reason is because you probably havent finished recovering yet.

just a guess, i dont know how much the nail weighs..maybe its not heavy at all.

Overdozer

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 03:38:07 AM »

jumping high or doing backflips is something different which he will never be able to do again.
I don't see a reason why. As someone stated, you still have the rods in your legs and you're also not at the 2 years mark, so you're recovering still.

Honestly, that makes zero sense to me, but then again I don't kick. I mean, if you say your longer leg breaks up the speed, wouldn't that mean that someone with naturally long legs won't be able to kick as fast?

Machine

• Because you are alive , everything is possible .
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 07:26:49 AM »

Doing 10 cm on tibia is not a realistic goal , you are literally planning to ruin ur life .
I did 8 cm on tibia but i really wish i did 6cm at most .
if u r planning to do 10cm then u r putting everything on risk as following ;
propotion , athletic ability , physical apperiance (if people will notice or not) , normal daily function , ankle flexiblity , walking gait , muscle atrophe , mental trauma if something goes wrong , at the most ur life is at RISK so think realistically .
If u want a safe LL and a good recovery then stay in a safe zone .

Overdozer

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 08:41:13 AM »

propotion
RGKEY did 9cm on tibia and he looks cool.

athletic ability
It's proven to recover fully after 2 years, with no connection to amount lengthened.

physical apperiance
Same as proportions.

normal daily function
Same as athletic ability.

muscle atrophe
Muscles don't atrophy, if you use them. Nothing to do with amount lengthened.

mental trauma if something goes wrong
Doesn't happen, unless you're retarded or 5 years old. In either case, you shouldn't be doing LL.

fk your safe zone.

wannabetaller

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 11:36:20 AM »

Ok,this is my first post on this forum.I've been reading almost any thread and I got to say its great so far.I'm serbian guy in my middle 30's and Im considering LL for a long time.I must say,10 cm looks tempting to do on tibias and I think its not impossible or insane to do it.If u do what your doctor tells u to do,PT every day,stretching etc..I think Exclide got a point here.Rgkey done 9,I think 10 is reachable if u are not lazy to do PT.

Greetings Wannabetaller

Taller

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 01:59:20 PM »

Yes, RGKey looks fantastic. But, he had exceptionally short legs and a very big, broad upper body to begin with.

Moubgf

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 02:48:09 PM »

Yes, RGKey looks fantastic. But, he had exceptionally short legs and a very big, broad upper body to begin with.

He was under average in everything. Wingspan. Sitting torso height. so i would not advice 10 cm. I would advice 8 cm though that is the highest and i will probably doing that soon,

Sweden

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 11:05:57 PM »

Dear God what am I reading???  :o

Newbies know better. Now that's a new one for me.

Go ahead, ruin your lifes. What do I care anyway.

Overdozer

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 12:36:31 AM »

Newbies know better. Now that's a new one for me.
Get real. I'm also a LL patient, just like you, not a newbie.

Machine

• Because you are alive , everything is possible .
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 09:25:02 AM »

RGKEY did 9cm on tibia and he looks cool.
It's proven to recover fully after 2 years, with no connection to amount lengthened.
Same as proportions.
Same as athletic ability.
Muscles don't atrophy, if you use them. Nothing to do with amount lengthened.
Doesn't happen, unless you're retarded or 5 years old. In either case, you shouldn't be doing LL.

f**k your safe zone.
Irresponsible quote , think b4 u write anything stupid . Because of u someone is really gonna get hurt real bad . I have already done CLL and experienced its up n down .
That safe zone u want to f**k is a realistic and life saver for everyone

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 10:10:56 AM »

Get real. I'm also a LL patient, just like you, not a newbie.

Maybe you're not a newbie, but you're not very clever. 10cm tibia lengthening is a bad idea, most doctors won't even lengthen above 6cm and you're saying 10cm is no problem at all, stop spreading nonsense.

wannabetaller

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 11:19:35 AM »

Sveden,why u did 7cm if the safe zone is like 5cm?Im thinking 8cm tops for me,just sayin' 10 is rechable for some poeople,not for me.

Sweden

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 01:40:08 PM »

Sveden,why u did 7cm if the safe zone is like 5cm?Im thinking 8cm tops for me,just sayin' 10 is rechable for some poeople,not for me.

I came for maximum 6cm but got caught up in the numbers and those who did 7cm looked fine.

Now when I'm done with it I know for the better that I should have done only 6cm. Preferable 5cm.

10cm is insane in every aspect there is.

wannabetaller

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 05:04:26 PM »

I came for maximum 6cm but got caught up in the numbers and those who did 7cm looked fine.

Now when I'm done with it I know for the better that I should have done only 6cm. Preferable 5cm.

10cm is insane in every aspect there is.
I think 7 is good or even 8.If I give so much money to the doctors for the operation I will do the best for it.Imo if u give 10 000 euros or in some case 20-25 000 just to grow only 5 cm,the money and your time is just wasted.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 05:20:12 PM »

I think 7 is good or even 8.If I give so much money to the doctors for the operation I will do the best for it.Imo if u give 10 000 euros or in some case 20-25 000 just to grow only 5 cm,the money and your time is just wasted.

5 cm makes quite a noticeable difference between two people standing next to each other. If you can end up recovering better by lengthening 3 cm less on one segment then that would be a worthy trade off.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

wannabetaller

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2014, 05:57:00 PM »

5 cm makes quite a noticeable difference between two people standing next to each other. If you can end up recovering better by lengthening 3 cm less on one segment then that would be a worthy trade off.
Yes,I agree with you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up