Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Long John Silver in the Orient - Dr Xia  (Read 34731 times)

ShortyMcShort

Re: Long John Silver in the Orient - Dr Xia
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2014, 01:15:07 PM »

Was talking about externals only on tibias, not femurs. I would never do externals only femurs  :-\
So I agree with your statement above

LittleLiam

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2014, 01:48:07 PM »

Ronne took me to a part of the hospital in what looked like a corporate executive office to wait for prof Xia.

We sat beside each other on single leather chairs in front of a huge expensive desk with nothing on it.   I felt like we were in a judges chambers awaiting a private hearing with the judge.

Professor Xia arrived in and ronne introduced me. He has no English. I stood to shake hands and noticed he is taller than me and looks like a strong 170 and a sturdy 60 something man with good posture.  He smiled and seemed amused that I was shorter than him and used his hand sideways moving up and down to emphasise the differences. I smiled too but wondered is this really surprising ?   He asked how much I wanted to lengthen and said adjustments would be made along the way to ensure non-descrepancy. He recommended I do tibia and spent some time feeling, pressing and measuring my lower legs. He then left for 5 minutes and returned with a tall young man, I presume an apprentice and had the young man place external fixators on my legs and then fitted very well in length and circumference (I have thick calves).

When we left his office ronne asked me to wait in the hall outside as she needed to take a call and would collect me in 10 minutes to bring me back to my room.  She had only left me for a minute when a young Chinese women introduced herself as Jennifer and asked me if I was going to have the surgery. When I said yes , she took me into a small room and she told me she wanted to be taller (she's already 165 so I'm surprised) but was very frightened and couldn't decide to commit and could she visit me after the operation. I said of course and we swapped phone numbers. I like her and with her little English and my mandarin we can chat. Later we become SMS buddies.

LittleLiam

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2014, 01:52:17 PM »

Instead of incurring SMS/testing charges the 'wechat' iPhone application is popular with young Chinese folks as once youre within wifi range your messages are free. Already I have 35 new Chinese friends 10 of whom I found using the 'discover' option ;)

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »

Great story so far LittleLiam.  Professor Xia's office seems to have improved since I was there.  It was about as dumpy as the rest of Guang Ji Hospital when I got to visit him.

The Chinese are very conscious of their reputation for being short, which should explain some of Professor Xia's reaction and Jennifer's wanting to do the surgery even at 165cm.  Tall people in China definitely have more opportunities open to them, especially when it comes to dealing with the outside world.  International students and people in customer service positions "somehow" are all quite taller than the average Chinese person.

LittleLiam

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2014, 02:58:24 AM »

Thursday 18 September

Could have had the operation this day but proposed friday 19 as my preference and used this day to shop for things I'll need during recovery and 'rest up'.

My maid yangjie took me by taxi to Walmart and she followed my shopping list converter to Chinese characters.

Ronne had also suggested a range of tinned foods (like kidney beans) for consumption after the operation during those days in a semi stupor and not able to eat full meals. You won't be able to go and do a poo for 4 or 5 days afterwards.

I wandered around myself adding various fruits and veg into the trolley and found some bargains (t-shirts for 15 rmb )

I spent close to 400 rmb and we were laden down with plastic bags walking for a taxi. Trolleys not allowed out to the car park!

We then drove to a mobile shop to buy a sim or 50 rmb.

When I returned to the hospital after cleaning up I went alone to the canteen and had a substantial meal of chicken legs, various Vegetables, soup, leeks and more.

About 8pm Doctor Ma (who would operate on me ) took me to the private room of a Chinese guy in his mid thirties who was at 3 centimeters and had good English to translate the contract.

The Chinese patient told me he was calling it a day at 3 and was going home !  He originally planned 7.5 but said his skin was too sensitive and between infections and soreness at pin points he had decided to get the rods inserted and go home. He showed me his x-rays.

LittleLiam

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2014, 04:51:54 AM »

Friday 19 September - the operation

I awoke at six and felt nervous as hell about the operation. As usual here, you don't know basic things like your operation time etc.  in any case I went to the toilet and fully relieved myself (1 and 2) and showered.  I then waited and waited until two nurses came in and said 'operation'.

I made it clear to Dr. Ma that I wanted a full anesthetic and not an epidural which appears to be the norm

I was wheeled into the operating room and in addition to Dr. Ma and another doctor (don't know his name yet) were two anesthetists (I think). I was asked if my teeth were real and when I said yes the drip was inserted. Heart monitor was put in place and for about 5 minutes I was conscious and relatively relaxed.

Next thing I remember I am back in my room and the operation is complete and I can feel my legs.
:)

LittleLiam

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2014, 09:47:42 PM »

It's Friday evening and I'm responding to the best wishes messages on WeChat including a long one from Jennifer. My maid has moved into my room to sleep on the couch beside me !

The two Chinese patients next door (femur and tibia) have come in for a chat.  My roommate is talking a lot but I'd rather have peace and quiet.   A small Chinese girl (aged 19) comes in on a wheelchair to 'wish me well' and 'keep me company'.   I converse with her for about 40 minutes as her English is very good and we get on well together. Some people from other rooms appear also 'to have a look at me' , lifting my lower blankett to see my legs.  Later this happens again on occasion where a complete stranger with no English comes in to look at me and my legs.....very strange.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2014, 10:59:35 PM »

Sounds like fun.  You can do the same to them once you start feeling better, just going around from room to room looking around and talking to random people.

Taller

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2014, 01:49:22 AM »

How are the external femur patients over there doing?

Thegosis

• Tibias - Beijing Dr Xia - Fixated 27nov13
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2014, 05:22:14 AM »

Are you in erqu dong or yiqu dong (#2 wing or #1 wing) at the Guangji Hospital in Fengtai District or do they have you in the new hospital somewhere else in Beijing?

My bed was #20 in yiqu dong and my maid was Yangjie from Gansu Province. Send her my regards and tell her that David from Australia (who left there on June 22 this year after first arriving at the end of November last year) has returned to work and is walking OK.

About ten days after the operation they will allow you to stand with the frames attached to your legs and permit you to commence turning the fixator dials which stretch the leg (bone, muscle and tendon) gradually longer over the course of months. I lengthened at 4 turns a day, with two hours between each turn (6am, 8, 10, noon). They changed that to 3 hours after I went past 4cm (6am, 9am, noon, 3pm). There are four dials on each frame and each dial has six numbered positions.

About 3pm each day the maid should offer you 'baojia' ie. foot massage with soaked hot towels, hot as you can bear.

Make sure to get about and practice words from your Chinese phrasebook with patients, visitors, nurses, etc in the other rooms and other wings. The wheelchair will be faster but the walking frame will be better for rehabilitation.

Hawthorn defeated Sydney by a big margin in the AFL Grand Final yesterday.
167cm at 27 November 2013 to 175cm in mid-May 2014
Patient of Surgeons Peng and Zhao in Beijing
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=178.0
Possible 183cm, Dr Shah in Mumbai from Feb '15 (PRECICE II femurs)
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1663.0

LittleLiam

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2014, 03:35:55 AM »

Sounds like fun.  You can do the same to them once you start feeling better, just going around from room to room looking around and talking to random people.

From your diary and what others ( like Thegosis) have said this new hospital is a very different place. It is modern and very orderly and clean. There are regular inspections re oh&s and general cleanliness.  ronne says in the old hospital the nurses listened more , whatever that means ;)

We are all in th east wing of the 9th floor and the west wing appears empty. However rooms can fill quickly as in the short time I've been here the two rooms on either side and accross from us have filled up with noisy patients.  I'm looking forward to wandering around on my own soon and relaying back to you what I see and hear. In particular I want to meet the girl in room 11.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2014, 04:04:27 AM »

From your diary and what others ( like Thegosis) have said this new hospital is a very different place. It is modern and very orderly and clean. There are regular inspections re oh&s and general cleanliness.  ronne says in the old hospital the nurses listened more , whatever that means ;)

We are all in th east wing of the 9th floor and the west wing appears empty. However rooms can fill quickly as in the short time I've been here the two rooms on either side and accross from us have filled up with noisy patients.  I'm looking forward to wandering around on my own soon and relaying back to you what I see and hear. In particular I want to meet the girl in room 11.

I guess you're getting something for the increased price, then, in the form of improved living conditions.  The nurses at the old hospital would talk to you if you wheeled into the nurses' station and struck up a conversation.

"The girl in room 11." ;D That reminds me of trying to track down Lemon after meeting her in the hallway.  Hope you have fun wandering the hospital and meeting people when you're done being bedridden.  Doing that kept my spirits up probably more than anything else during my LL journey.

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2014, 06:42:45 AM »

Does China offer plating as an option?

LittleLiam

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2014, 04:13:11 AM »

How are the external femur patients over there doing?

There are two patients during external femurs and they are doing it really tough compared with everyone else.  External femurs is very inconvient and it appears to have other issues. The main disadvantages are not being able to lie on your side and showering is a problem because of the difficulty in keeping your pins dry.

Both of these patients are generally, in pain, frustrated, alternating Anger and depression. Both are Chinese one male the other female.

AimHigh

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2014, 01:45:12 PM »

Hi Liam, another boy from down under here  :).
Just wondering if femur patients have ring/half ring externals, or telescoping externals - hard to tell from Xia's website.
Xia's website seems also to show LON femurs - but is LATN now the newer method ?.
Thanks
AimHigh
2016 5.3 cm RFem. Fitbone, 2019 8cm LFem. Precice 2.2, 2022 2.9 cm Rfem Precice 2.2

LittleLiam

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »

Hi Liam, another boy from down under here  :).
Just wondering if femur patients have ring/half ring externals, or telescoping externals - hard to tell from Xia's website.
Xia's website seems also to show LON femurs - but is LATN now the newer method ?.
Thanks
AimHigh

The Chinese guy doing femur lengthening has those telescopic externals on the outside of each thigh. He's going for 5 centimeters and will then consolidate without any rods. Brave guy with incredible determination.  He already did 5 on tibias 4 years ago!

LittleLiam

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2014, 01:09:29 PM »

Does China offer plating as an option?

I don't know but can inquire for you. What is plating? Is it an alternative to rods?

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2014, 02:07:50 PM »

I don't know but can inquire for you. What is plating? Is it an alternative to rods?

Yep. So instead of a nail through your knees you get plates which hopefully wont give the potential knee pains
Some info on the topic on the forum :
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=389.0
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1002.0

LittleLiam

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2014, 02:43:08 PM »

Tomorrow will be my fourteenth day of lengthening, 7 days of 6 turns and 7 days of 4 or 3 alternating. I must admit that I seem to feel the pain more or am more of a coward than folks here and those of you that have gone ahead of me. Although the pain is not acute I am constantly in pain and the only relief (somewhat less pain and some extra sleep) is when I do only 3 turns , like today.  I can't walk yet with the walker and although I use and enjoy the wheelchair, my knees lock up after an hour in the chair and I'm temporarily in agony. I have not had a good nights sleep since I started lengthening and the single pain killer I'm permitted each night just gives me respite for about 4 hours, 9 until 1am. I struggle through each night lying in the dark focused on the pain and trying to move a little to relieve it. I have cried quietly a few nights.

Tomorrow I will get my first x-ray since the operation. Due to the Chinese national holiday my x-rays were postponed.

My room mate claims he did not experience pain ( that stopped him from sleeping) while doing 4 turns and only now gets pain since is went past 4 centre meters and that is due to skin stretching around pin sites.

Very interested in your views on my pain and whether I am just a wimp compared with you folks :(

I hadnt appreciated how difficult it is to get painkillers in china as you have to have a doctors prescription, apparently.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2014, 03:35:28 PM »

You're not a wimp for being in pain or crying. It's all part of the grueling process. There were many sleepless nights for me due to constant aching and the inability to find one comfortable position to sleep in. Some nights I was even cursing myself for voluntarily getting my legs broken and pulled apart. Once distraction is over that pain will go away. Just think of it like you're in a long battle and that you're not going to let the obstacle of pain prevent you from your mission.

Are the doctors there not willing or unable to give you a prescription for more pain medication?
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2014, 09:10:05 PM »

Yep, that's how it is in China.  They're very stingy with the pain medicine because of their society's troubled history with opium.  I'm not sure if this will fly anymore, but back in 2007 if you kept bothering the nurses you could get more.  I got 4 pills in one day with this method, then Wu Jie told me I'd had enough for that day. :)

LL hurts everyone.  Don't think you're special in that regard. ;)  Have they given you wood lock?  You could try asking for it.  We had to buy it back in my day, but it provides some relief and they'll let you have as much as you want.

LittleLiam

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2014, 11:56:49 AM »

You're not a wimp for being in pain or crying. It's all part of the grueling process. There were many sleepless nights for me due to constant aching and the inability to find one comfortable position to sleep in. Some nights I was even cursing myself for voluntarily getting my legs broken and pulled apart. Once distraction is over that pain will go away. Just think of it like you're in a long battle and that you're not going to let the obstacle of pain prevent you from your mission.

Are the doctors there not willing or unable to give you a prescription for more pain medication?

Thanks Kilo, if the pain and aches don't get worse then I can manage and sustain this , I just wasn't sure as I expected the pain to go down when the number of turns we're reduced.

LittleLiam

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2014, 12:01:32 PM »

Yep, that's how it is in China.  They're very stingy with the pain medicine because of their society's troubled history with opium.  I'm not sure if this will fly anymore, but back in 2007 if you kept bothering the nurses you could get more.  I got 4 pills in one day with this method, then Wu Jie told me I'd had enough for that day. :)

LL hurts everyone.  Don't think you're special in that regard. ;)  Have they given you wood lock?  You could try asking for it.  We had to buy it back in my day, but it provides some relief and they'll let you have as much as you want.

Yes MDOW the mindset here is that if you take more than say 3 painkiller tablets in a day that you'll lose your sanity !

Better to be mad in pain than blissfully mad ;)

I was given a wood lock rub and it was nice but did nothing to relieve my 'growing pains'. I think it will be useful when I'm consolidating and latter to rub down when the nails are in maybe.

LittleLiam

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2014, 12:07:48 PM »

Are you in erqu dong or yiqu dong (#2 wing or #1 wing) at the Guangji Hospital in Fengtai District or do they have you in the new hospital somewhere else in Beijing?

My bed was #20 in yiqu dong and my maid was Yangjie from Gansu Province. Send her my regards and tell her that David from Australia (who left there on June 22 this year after first arriving at the end of November last year) has returned to work and is walking OK.

About ten days after the operation they will allow you to stand with the frames attached to your legs and permit you to commence turning the fixator dials which stretch the leg (bone, muscle and tendon) gradually longer over the course of months. I lengthened at 4 turns a day, with two hours between each turn (6am, 8, 10, noon). They changed that to 3 hours after I went past 4cm (6am, 9am, noon, 3pm). There are four dials on each frame and each dial has six numbered positions.

About 3pm each day the maid should offer you 'baojia' ie. foot massage with soaked hot towels, hot as you can bear.

Make sure to get about and practice words from your Chinese phrasebook with patients, visitors, nurses, etc in the other rooms and other wings. The wheelchair will be faster but the walking frame will be better for rehabilitation.

Hawthorn defeated Sydney by a big margin in the AFL Grand Final yesterday.

Hey David,  you did well being able to turn 4 times a day every 2 hours without painkiller right up to 4 centre meters.   Right now I am waiting 3 hours between turns and struggling to get the 4th turn due to the stretching aches and pains.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2014, 06:10:08 PM »

LOL yeah.  My roommate Cloud took a lot of tramadol towards the end of his LL.  He was actually paying one of the maids to steal it for him from the stockroom.  Although she did it, she would say to him "Ni fungza. Ni fei chang fungza."  That's how I learned all those words. :D

LittleLiam

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2014, 08:21:24 AM »

It is now three weeks since my operation and the X-ray results look good. I am just over a centimeter 'taller' now (1.26616 on my spreadsheet) and my body is coping much better with the 4 turns per day with gaps of 2.5 hours. Wheelchair is easy to get around and I'm taking longer walks each day with the frame. 

Two Chinese patients here have 'gone home' to consolidate. The Chinese girl, jennifer I met after consultation with Xia and her consultation decided to postpone her operation so I won't see her here. I met a 17 year old Chinese girl yesterday when I was out on my wheelchair and she is getting her legs fixed after a car accident. This is a full facility hospital with causality so ll patients are an exception and I noticed that x-ray staff are not experienced in treating ll patients.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2014, 06:16:07 PM »

Interesting.  Guang Ji was primarily an LL place when I was there, and we had the grunting Neanderthal x-ray tech who lived in a room next to the machine. ;D

LittleLiam

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2014, 02:13:22 AM »

I have now lengthened just over 1 and a half centimeters.  Unfortunately though over the last week my left knee in particular has become very painful to bend and I'm becoming incapacitated. Although I could just keep turning, I fear something is wrong. I was doing 4 turns every day with a lot of pain in the evenings and nighttime. Today I will do no turns at all and hope the rest will do my body some good abd hopefully see a start to recovery in knee movement.

Have any of you chosen to stop for a few days and if so were then difficulties in getting back to the routine later?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2014, 02:59:44 AM »

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties.  I had the same issue with my knees being stiff during lengthening and wondering if something was wrong.  It was okay, just the body's natural reaction to the trauma of LL.  I decided to keep going because the knee isn't where the lengthening is taking place, so there couldn't be a problem.

I took several breaks from turning, the longest being over a week if I remember correctly.  Taking breaks really helps if you're having pain when lengthening.  Nothing helped the knee stiffness, however, except cortisone injections.

Thegosis

• Tibias - Beijing Dr Xia - Fixated 27nov13
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2014, 07:04:19 AM »

Hello Liam,

you better believe you get stiffness in your knees from any situation where your legs are enforced to be bound straight like after the second surgery and with a further infection after that I was informed just to stay in with the legs straight and elevated.

The 17 year old who has had a car accident sounds like Nancy who was 16 when I was last there in June. Nancy wears glasses.

Does anyone remember me, David from Australia, who was there Nov'13-Feb'14 & Apr'14-Jun'14? Ronne would.

I limp on my right leg which is limiting the speed of my walking. I took X-rays again this morning. Some ways to go for the bones to close up & I'm searching for a way to transfer those images off the CD and get them to Wang Bei (Ronne).
167cm at 27 November 2013 to 175cm in mid-May 2014
Patient of Surgeons Peng and Zhao in Beijing
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=178.0
Possible 183cm, Dr Shah in Mumbai from Feb '15 (PRECICE II femurs)
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1663.0

LittleLiam

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2014, 11:13:54 AM »

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties.  I had the same issue with my knees being stiff during lengthening and wondering if something was wrong.  It was okay, just the body's natural reaction to the trauma of LL.  I decided to keep going because the knee isn't where the lengthening is taking place, so there couldn't be a problem.

I took several breaks from turning, the longest being over a week if I remember correctly.  Taking breaks really helps if you're having pain when lengthening.  Nothing helped the knee stiffness, however, except cortisone injections.

So MDOW did you have cortisone injections while lengthening?  How did you with stead the pain of knee bending without painkillers?

My knee stiffness means I can't use the wheelchair now as these wheelchairs require you to bend your knees at 90 degrees :(. I hear the wheelchairs at the old hospital were much better?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up