Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Long John Silver in the Orient - Dr Xia  (Read 34695 times)

LittleLiam

Re: Long John Silver in the Orient - Dr Xia
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2014, 11:13:54 AM »

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties.  I had the same issue with my knees being stiff during lengthening and wondering if something was wrong.  It was okay, just the body's natural reaction to the trauma of LL.  I decided to keep going because the knee isn't where the lengthening is taking place, so there couldn't be a problem.

I took several breaks from turning, the longest being over a week if I remember correctly.  Taking breaks really helps if you're having pain when lengthening.  Nothing helped the knee stiffness, however, except cortisone injections.

So MDOW did you have cortisone injections while lengthening?  How did you with stead the pain of knee bending without painkillers?

My knee stiffness means I can't use the wheelchair now as these wheelchairs require you to bend your knees at 90 degrees :(. I hear the wheelchairs at the old hospital were much better?

LittleLiam

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2014, 11:18:20 AM »

Hello Liam,

you better believe you get stiffness in your knees from any situation where your legs are enforced to be bound straight like after the second surgery and with a further infection after that I was informed just to stay in with the legs straight and elevated.

The 17 year old who has had a car accident sounds like Nancy who was 16 when I was last there in June. Nancy wears glasses.

Does anyone remember me, David from Australia, who was there Nov'13-Feb'14 & Apr'14-Jun'14? Ronne would.

I limp on my right leg which is limiting the speed of my walking. I took X-rays again this morning. Some ways to go for the bones to close up & I'm searching for a way to transfer those images off the CD and get them to Wang Bei (Ronne).

David, I hoped you would be recovering well by now.  What is the reason for your limp? Do you have poor bone consolidation?

I'll talk to ronne next week.

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2014, 11:34:05 AM »

So MDOW did you have cortisone injections while lengthening?  How did you with stead the pain of knee bending without painkillers?

My knee stiffness means I can't use the wheelchair now as these wheelchairs require you to bend your knees at 90 degrees :(. I hear the wheelchairs at the old hospital were much better?

You have to bend your knees to 90 degrees, especially at the beginning or it will get only worse. Just put a lot of pillow under your feet and you knees will fall down and then stay like that for a few hours.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2014, 03:15:21 PM »

I had the occasional cortisone injection, but it's not good to have too many throughout lengthening.  The fact that they worked showed that my stiffness was caused by inflammation and not by some severe biomechanical problem.

The wheelchairs at the old hospital were crap; probably the same make and model they gave you.  Here was the advantage of lengthening with 30 other people.  Lumberjack came up with this brilliant setup:

-Adjust the wheelchair's footrests as high as they'll go
-Put your table on top of the footrests
-Put your pillow on top of the table

Like this:

LittleLiam

« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2014, 04:42:00 AM »

Hey MDOW ,

Your wheelchair solution is great, thanks. I've created a similar solution with pillows and twine but no table. Our tables are on wheels beside the bed.

All,

I asked about medication for my knee and the dr had proposed a product with 'Artz Dispo' printed on it. I said I want to do research on it before being injected, probably tomorrow morning. If it allows me to bend my knee so that I can exercise and walk I will be delighted as I can get back to lengthening again.

Any advice appreciated.

Pharmaceuticals and Medical devices

As a pioneer in glycoconjugate research, Seikagaku uses its own technologies and know-how, and is well trusted as a pharmaceutical company that makes high quality products. Seikagaku manufactures and markets pharmaceutical products containing hyaluronic acid, a major component of glycoconjugates. As the society continues to age, these products improve people's Quality of Life.

Product Information

ARTZ Intra-articular injections for improving joint functions

Therapeutic Category   Brand Name   Generic Name   Launch Date
Joint function improving agent   ARTZ®25mg   Purified Sodium Hyaluronate   March 1987
Joint function improving agent   ARTZ Dispo®25mg   Purified Sodium Hyaluronate   February 1993
ARTZ® is the world's first joint function improving agent whose main ingredient is hyaluronic acid. It was developed based on the knowledge that hyaluronic acid is an important component of joint fluid. By being directly injected into the joint, the drug can help improve ailments common among seniors, such as osteoarthritis of the knee, periarthritis of the shoulder, and knee joint pain of rheumatoid arthritis.
ARTZ Dispo® is a pre-filled syringe, eliminating the time it takes to aspirate the drug solution (hyaluronic acid) from the ampule.
ARTZ® has been approved in 17 countries, including Japan, the US, Europe, and several countries in Asia. It is widely trusted by medical society and more than 330 million injections have already been administered worldwide.

ARTZ®25mg   ARTZ Dispo®25mg(Plastic Syringe)   ARTZ Dispo®25mg(Glass Syringe)

Gel-One Cross-linked Hyaluronate Hydrogel for Knee Osteoarthritis

« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2014, 12:14:21 PM »

Hey MDOW ,

Your wheelchair solution is great, thanks. I've created a similar solution with pillows and twine but no table. Our tables are on wheels beside the bed.

All,

I asked about medication for my knee and the dr had proposed a product with 'Artz Dispo' printed on it. I said I want to do research on it before being injected, probably tomorrow morning. If it allows me to bend my knee so that I can exercise and walk I will be delighted as I can get back to lengthening again.

Any advice appreciated.

Pharmaceuticals and Medical devices

As a pioneer in glycoconjugate research, Seikagaku uses its own technologies and know-how, and is well trusted as a pharmaceutical company that makes high quality products. Seikagaku manufactures and markets pharmaceutical products containing hyaluronic acid, a major component of glycoconjugates. As the society continues to age, these products improve people's Quality of Life.

Product Information

ARTZ Intra-articular injections for improving joint functions

Therapeutic Category   Brand Name   Generic Name   Launch Date
Joint function improving agent   ARTZ®25mg   Purified Sodium Hyaluronate   March 1987
Joint function improving agent   ARTZ Dispo®25mg   Purified Sodium Hyaluronate   February 1993
ARTZ® is the world's first joint function improving agent whose main ingredient is hyaluronic acid. It was developed based on the knowledge that hyaluronic acid is an important component of joint fluid. By being directly injected into the joint, the drug can help improve ailments common among seniors, such as osteoarthritis of the knee, periarthritis of the shoulder, and knee joint pain of rheumatoid arthritis.
ARTZ Dispo® is a pre-filled syringe, eliminating the time it takes to aspirate the drug solution (hyaluronic acid) from the ampule.
ARTZ® has been approved in 17 countries, including Japan, the US, Europe, and several countries in Asia. It is widely trusted by medical society and more than 330 million injections have already been administered worldwide.

ARTZ®25mg   ARTZ Dispo®25mg(Plastic Syringe)   ARTZ Dispo®25mg(Glass Syringe)

Gel-One Cross-linked Hyaluronate Hydrogel for Knee Osteoarthritis

You don't really need any kind of injections for bending your knee, just do some physio, even if it's really really painful. That's LL :)

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2014, 01:58:36 PM »

It may or may not help, but I'd try it and see.  The U.S. National Institute of Health has a paper that says it's a safe drug, at least, based on clinical trials.

You don't really need any kind of injections for bending your knee, just do some physio, even if it's really really painful. That's LL :)

Only if it's caused by tightness of the tendons, not because of inflammation in the joints.  It's not about pain; the knee joint is just so stiff it won't move.

LittleLiam

« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2014, 02:45:31 PM »

Thanks 123 and MDOW for your advice and guidance.  I have pain in both knees and expected that however the left knee is locked and huge now due to fluid retention compared with my right knee.  With Physio and warm ups my right knee responds but my left doesn't and that's my concern as I can't continue with a locked left knee. The pins are not identically positioned and I suspect the the pin on the left penetrating the anterior ligament , the small one that connect patella with tibia, is a contributing factor. I've tried taking pain killer and the left knee stays locked. I've scheduled the injection for my left knee tomorrow so fingers crossed. Thanks for your support.

« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2014, 06:21:24 PM »

Thanks 123 and MDOW for your advice and guidance.  I have pain in both knees and expected that however the left knee is locked and huge now due to fluid retention compared with my right knee.  With Physio and warm ups my right knee responds but my left doesn't and that's my concern as I can't continue with a locked left knee. The pins are not identically positioned and I suspect the the pin on the left penetrating the anterior ligament , the small one that connect patella with tibia, is a contributing factor. I've tried taking pain killer and the left knee stays locked. I've scheduled the injection for my left knee tomorrow so fingers crossed. Thanks for your support.

The pins can be brutal, I had also pain (maybe not as severe as you) but that's something that can happen, because the half-wires can damage some nerves/tendons etc.. So my tip is, put a lot of pillow under your foot (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BQ0YCKfPYrA/U7SPD6by0nI/AAAAAAAADrE/l3TeKcs4qtQ/s1600/Shock_Large.jpg), so your knees will drop automatically, the next step would be leg raises but I guess that's too early for you. Just keep them like that while laying in bed, it will get better, trust me :). Unless you have some serious complications...

Mays

• Visitor
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2014, 01:15:43 AM »

How about your knee problem now?Hope your recover soon.

LittleLiam

« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2014, 08:39:22 AM »

Since my last post my left knee has become slightly looser from pt and heat treatment, but I still can't bend enough to get into wheelchair. I have continue to lengthen  however and learnt to manage the pain by not straining. I am getting a much earlier than planned X-ray tomorrow to re-look at how the pins on my left leg have penetrated bone, tendons and muscle.  I expect confirmation of almost 2.5 centimeters. Thanks for your support guys.

LittleLiam

« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2014, 01:10:12 AM »

Well I got my x-ray yesterday after 34 days of lengthening and I expected the results to be 2.3 for each leg as I was consistent in how I applied my turns.  Instead the result is right leg : 2.2 and left leg : 2.7 !

Leo

• Visitor
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2014, 12:07:48 PM »

Well I got my x-ray yesterday after 34 days of lengthening and I expected the results to be 2.3 for each leg as I was consistent in how I applied my turns.  Instead the result is right leg : 2.2 and left leg : 2.7 !

That's good progress LittleLiam. How's the atmosphere over there, are you still the only english speaking patient at the hospital?
Bsides, how would you rate the pain so far?

Leo
Evening: 165cm
Morning: 166,5cm
Goal: 172-175cm

LittleLiam

« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2014, 02:25:12 AM »

That's good progress LittleLiam. How's the atmosphere over there, are you still the only english speaking patient at the hospital?
Bsides, how would you rate the pain so far?

Leo

I think I'm still the only patient with English as my first language. For several weeks I've been bed-ridden except for difficult trips to the bathroom for 'poo poo' and shower. However the good news is that my knees have loosened despite the continued lengthening and hopefully will bend enough for easy insertion of pins/nails. I've self calculated both legs at 3.5 now and have X-rays scheduled for Monday

Tengo

« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2014, 02:30:48 PM »

Hey Liam, hope your lengthening is going well.

What do you do throughout the day to keep yourself busy? Also which vpn do you use and how much do you pay for it?

GoTaller

• Visitor
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2014, 03:27:24 AM »

Hey little lamb, I am an Asian Male 167 cm in the U.S considering doing LL in  China in February of 2015. Currently I am emailing Dr. Roger Li and doing my research.  I hope you can enlighten me on how the payment process work and what was the steps when moving forward with the surgery.

LittleLiam

« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »

Hey Liam, hope your lengthening is going well.

What do you do throughout the day to keep yourself busy? Also which vpn do you use and how much do you pay for it?

After a difficult start with knee problems the lengthening process improved from 'light exercise' and PT.

Most days I take a few walks and a lot of wheelchair travel to other patients rooms to chat in English/Mandarin. People are coming, visiting and leaving all the time so if you want to make Chinese friends and improve your Chinese this is what I do daily.

The Internet is not fast and is unreliable at this hospital. They have no concept of service levels and we have had periods of a week without Internet and many weekends without Internet and this is due to the local area network and no change control.

LittleLiam

« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2014, 12:25:47 PM »

Hey little lamb, I am an Asian Male 167 cm in the U.S considering doing LL in  China in February of 2015. Currently I am emailing Dr. Roger Li and doing my research.  I hope you can enlighten me on how the payment process work and what was the steps when moving forward with the surgery.

I don't know Dr Li and the payment process may be different going forward. I made a small deposit before I travelled here as a gesture of intent rather than to meet a requirement. I suggest you correspond with Ronne also has she has good English.

GoTaller

• Visitor
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2014, 07:44:09 AM »

Little Lamb,  thanks for the reply.  If the Internet is unreliable why won't you subscribe to a cell phone service or prepaid data service? Also, do you know if their cellular is 4G? Nonetheless,  how's your lengthening coming along and what is your goal?

Exodus

• Visitor
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2014, 05:01:24 AM »

Dear LittleLiam - I would love to speak with you personally on your experience so far. I'm planning for this surgery and will appriciate your advice and insight on the experience you face until now. Would it be possible for us to schedule a phone call ? You can message me your number and preferred contact time. Thank you

GoTaller

• Visitor
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2014, 09:23:33 PM »

LittleLiam, or anyone that have Wang Beijing aka Ronnie contact information? Please post.   I would like to give her a call and get more information on LL in China.  Thanks.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2014, 10:26:12 PM »

leglengthening@aliyun.com is her personal email address.

Joel

« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2014, 01:15:30 AM »

Your leg is 2.3 and the to other 2.7?  Isn't that uneven ?
5'5 manlet of peace

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2014, 02:07:40 AM »

We've got a real math whiz here.

LittleLiam

« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2014, 04:17:48 AM »

I'm on the final leg of my journey ( no pun intended) having completed the second operation two weeks ago. The knee problem (couldnt bend left knee beyond 45 degrees since first operation) disappeared with the removal of the fixator!  I do have a low pain in both knees but both can bend 90 degrees no problem.

While here ive concentrated on my health and recovery and pain management but also the unexpected enjoyment of the experience of making new friends and meditating and learning a lot about suffering and the pursuit of goals.

When I return to OZ in about a months  time I'll upload my copious notes in chronological  order and answer any questions online. I won't be divulging any personal information like my phone number or engage in 'chats' online or phone conversations for obvious reasons.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2014, 04:36:51 AM »

Congratulations LittleLiam!  I'm looking forward to seeing your writeup.

GoTaller

• Visitor
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2014, 08:50:23 PM »

Congratulation Little liam, it's nice to see u are doing good. I am curious how much distracting Or lengthening is allowed per day safety?

Thegosis

• Tibias - Beijing Dr Xia - Fixated 27nov13
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2014, 10:45:26 AM »

When you get back to Sydney NSW get your GP to write you a referral to Calvary Rehabilitation Hospital in Ramsgate (ph 95533111, http://www.calvary-sydney.org.au/rehabilitation.html). Get someone from their assessment team to come see you, and then if you can swing it for a 2-3 week stay followed by outpatient visits to the day rehab unit you'll be throwing your walking frame away a lot quicker .. all covered 100% by Medicare!! Yanda Hospital doesn't have physiotherapists who put you on a program and a hydro pool and gym I bet.

Was pushed in there in a wheelchair and came out under my own power with calipers inside 3 weeks.

Think I already gave you this tip.
167cm at 27 November 2013 to 175cm in mid-May 2014
Patient of Surgeons Peng and Zhao in Beijing
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=178.0
Possible 183cm, Dr Shah in Mumbai from Feb '15 (PRECICE II femurs)
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1663.0

Arch

« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2014, 12:01:56 AM »

How much centimeters have you gain in how much time?

Stevie

• Visitor
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2015, 02:05:52 PM »

Liam,

I had the same stiffness and couldnt bend my knee for weeks while i was there.

Use heat treatments and a lot of massage and u will be ok.

------

ps: could you tell Ronne to check her email for me? I will be coming to Beijing for rods removal next week. I hope to see u then.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2015, 10:14:03 PM »

Hey Liam,

Just checking in to see what's up. How's your recovery going?
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up