Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: TrailBlazer LON Tibia - Dr. Muharrem Inan  (Read 43415 times)

Time4LL

TrailBlazer LON Tibia - Dr. Muharrem Inan
« on: September 25, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »

It is finally my time to get LL done.

Tomorrow I will be getting LON with Monorail on my Tibia with Dr. Inan in Istanbul Turkey. I checked in the hospital at 3 PM today and am awaiting my surgery that is scheduled for 8:00 AM tomorrow. I am kind of nervous but have thought about it a lot and have tried to prepare mentally the best I could.

I hope this diary can help other people with there decision. Dr. Inan I felt was the best choice for me as the facilities are top notch and I felt his personality was very similar to mine. I also feel that Turkey is a relatively stable country both economically and politically which makes me feel more secure. The only thing that made me apprehensive was the lack of patient experiences and diaries. However that is why I am calling myself Trailblazer because I will be the first diary of his using LON on Tibia:) (ChrisIsaak/Upinthesky was the first diary on here as he did Fitbone on his femur so he is the real pioneer.) ChrisIsaak/Upinthesky has helped me a lot with the whole process so I have him to thank for helping me get here.

I don't plan on posting pictures as I do not want anyone to know who I am, like most of the people on the forums, but maybe I can post a few of the hospital. I am going to be living in an apartment about 30 minutes away from the hospital. The apartment is probably nicer than my house which I never thought I would be able to have during LL. The only thing that sucks is there is no one to socialize with or take care of me. I think I will be able to manage though as 6 months is not that long and hopefully I will be done by then and on my way home. I, also like everyone else, am just ready to be taller and go on with life. I am only doing this surgery once and than hopefully I never visit the forum again and forget about it! :)

I am 22 years old and am currently a student at a University in the United States.

Height: Morning: 5'7" (170 cm)
            Evening: 5'6.25" (168.3 cm)
Wingspan: 5'8.5" (173.99 cm)

Weight: 150 pounds

Goal: 5-8 cm (Would be ecstatic with 8 but would be very happy with 6 or 7 as well, would kind of be disappointed with 5cm. I might be one of those guys that really wants a certain number haha)

I don't really know what else to write about. Hopefully, I can answer anyones questions and for the people that are also going through this journey maybe we can help each other get through it. I am also an avid football fan (that is american football) so feel free to talk about that on here as much as possible! lol. I will be posting the same information on both forums as I really think that both forums have helped me immensely and I would love to be able to give back a little bit.
Hopefully all goes well, wish me luck!

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
Re: TrailBlazer LON Tibia - Dr. Muharrem Inan
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 05:07:01 PM »

Cool!  Hope you have a successful LL journey.

How much are you paying for rent on that apartment that's nicer than your house? :D

TRS

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 05:08:18 PM »

All the best buddy!
Dr.Inan does seem like a very good choice and you are his first LON patient so your diary will be interesting.
Since you are in Turkey, a nation obsessed with soccer, you may switch interest from american football to actual football :P

Time4LL

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 05:15:44 PM »

Haha I kind of an interest in soccer since the world cup but it would be hard to beat American Football. I probably need to educate myself more on it.

I am paying about $7,700 for six months for the rent and then I also have to pay for Wifi. It maybe isn't quite as nice as my house, actually it is my parents house lol, but it is definitely not too big of a step down.

Leo

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 06:28:07 PM »

Wish you the best of luck. Do you know how long the operating procedure will take?

Frihet
Evening: 165cm
Morning: 166,5cm
Goal: 172-175cm

KrP1

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 07:36:03 PM »

Wow. Really nice to have another  DR.Inan diari . Good luck with the surgery

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 07:37:45 PM »

good luck trail blazer :)

just remember pain is temporary, height is forever lol :)

apparently the first weeks will be the hardest :)

Time4LL

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 08:03:24 PM »

Thanks for all the support. Yeah I am nervous about the first couple of weeks, I heard they suck. I never really was much of a tough guy so at least the pain will toughen me up haha. In all seriousness, I am focused and will do whatever it takes to get my goal.

@Frihet I am not sure how long the surgery will take. I will let you know tomorrow!

Shortie

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 10:09:10 PM »

Good luck man

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 06:17:48 AM »

Why are you staying there for 6 months? I thought for 8cms you'd only need 4 months tops to lengthen for LON?
How much are externals only? And what are you doing regarding food, are you going to be buying groceries and cooking by yourself?

I dont think you mentioned the price, so how much are you paying for the operation?

Time4LL

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 11:50:36 AM »

I am alive, very groggy still! That went so fast. I am staying 6 months to stay away from family and just recover. I hope to be frame free by Christmas and just consolidate after that. The prices are just on the doctor information that Is what I paid. I will cook meals by myself as I loaded up on food to cook mostly pasta and oatmeal, my two favotites.

f458

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 05:40:37 PM »

are you okay now? do you have some pains or something?

Time4LL

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 07:14:22 PM »

I am doing okay, I really don't have pain but I am concerned because my knees have swelled up a lot. I just want my knee swelling to go down. Like I said the pain has been nothing so far and I can move my feet really easily. However, I am getting off of the pain killers so I am sure it will suck soon enough. They also tried to move me to a different room in the hospital. I don't mind going to a different room but I am in no condition to move right now as I feel very nauseas when I get up. I am kind of being paranoid right now about everything for some reason haha. This is definitely a challenging procedure, don't ever go into it thinking it will be easy. But I am up for the task.

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 08:47:27 PM »

Hmm, how about giving my cell phone to the nurses? They can call me if they need to change anything / or if something needs an explanation, they can explain it to me and I can translate it to you on here (or on the phone).

PrettyTall

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 09:01:32 PM »

all the best , can I ask you this ?  how can anyone know you by the photo of your legs ?

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 09:08:26 PM »

Hmm, how about giving my cell phone to the nurses? They can call me if they need to change anything / or if something needs an explanation, they can explain it to me and I can translate it to you on here (or on the phone).

LOL, I thought I'd sent this through PM. It seems as if I'm trying to find a way to get the nurses' phone number, right?  :D

Time4LL

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 01:20:16 AM »

I wouldn't blame you. I think all the nurses are pretty good looking haha. There is one I think is especially good looking (the blonde haired one). I can be your wingman ChrisIsaak haha ;)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 03:54:19 AM »

Hi Trailblazer,

Did Dr Inan decide monorails would be better for you than the classic frames or did you decide that you'd rather have monorails? How do the pin sites feel?
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Time4LL

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 04:45:57 AM »

Dr. Inan actually I think only does monorails for cosmetic purposes. I am definitely okay with that as long as I get the desired result obviously. The monorails aren't nearly as bothersome as I think the classic frames would be. When you sleep on your back your calf is touching the bed which I think would be more comfortable as the pins would have no pressure on them unlike most illizarov frames. I really can't feel a whole lot still in my legs so I don't know about the pin sites. I will let everyone know how they feel once I get to walking. I am going to take a guess and say they aren't going to feel great but hopefully not to bad lol.

Time4LL

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 06:23:37 PM »

I guess I was just thinking about LON versus external only while lying here in bed and wanted to start a discussion about it. I know a lot of people are adamantly opposed to LON but I was reading today about Paul George. I am a huge NBA fan so I follow this stuff pretty closely. Paul George did get the nail put inside his tibia bone with pins to hold it into place. If nails are so damaging to the knees wouldn't they do everything to ensure that an elite athlete who relies so much on his knees would not have this procedure done. Why didn't they plate his leg instead, or use a purely external fixator to keep it in line until it was healed? It is just interesting and I thought it would be a good thing to discuss because his knees are much more important than ours lol.

Just to be clear I am not saying people's opinions on here are wrong it is just a good thing to discuss and think about.

KrP1

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 06:43:09 PM »

What thinks Dr Inan about knee pain with LON? Did he the surgery of another way that doesnt cause knee pain?

Time4LL

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 06:51:58 PM »

I asked him about that but I cannot remember what he said. He said that LON was much easier on the patient but was a much more difficult surgery. He said he would do external only but it would take a long time and would be tough on the patient. I really had a hard time deciding but ultimately thought it was better to take the knee pain risk and get back to life quicker. It seemed to do 7 cm you would need about 14 months in the fixator and that just was too long. I also thought the risk of the bone breaking kind of freaked me out if it wasn't consolidated enough. But that is just my thought process, I think it is just about what the person feels is best for them. Life is all about tradeoffs and LL is a perfect example of this.

Time4LL

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »

I tried walking today and it was very challenging. I got lightheaded quickly and had to sit down before I even got to the door. My left leg is much stronger than my right leg. It was good to get up but it was very painful. My legs are still very swollen and I am still receiving pain medication so I cannot feel them yet. I feel the monorail is pretty solid but I didn't put nearly my full weight on it so I don't know yet. I will be doing leg exercises and hopefully sitting up throughout the day.

I used to be a pretty good cross country and track runner and this feels like competition again, which I like. I remember having practices that were like hell and this may be quite similar. As a runner your competition was many times yourself. I wasn't just trying to beat the guy next to me I was trying to beat what I ran before. So tomorrow I will try to get to the door and back and improve from yesterday. That is how i look at it anyways, if that makes sense haha. My goal someday is to run a 5K at a new height and I do think it is possible with work. The start of the journey is definitely tough. I have to stay positive all the time.

KrP1

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 11:22:30 AM »

Do you know if the monorail with LON is full weight bearing? I know that monorail only isnt. But dont know with LON. Good job man. These days are the worst days. Stay strong

Time4LL

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 11:32:21 AM »

I think you can weight bear with crutches or a walker. My doctor says I can do that.

Time4LL

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 11:40:39 AM »

My first .25 mm!! The doctor came in and explained the lengthening process, which obviously was simple. I have to lengthen 4 times a day at 6 hour intervals and turn 1 mm a day for the first few cms.  I was really happy to start lengthening today so that I can hopefully begin to see why I did this haha. I still experience swelling in my ankle and knee but it is manageable. The worse has been sleeping for me, I don't have pain but it is kind of hot in the hospital, I love to sleep in really cold temperatures. There has been no real pain because of the medication but I feel really bad tightness in my lower legs about halfway through the night and especially in the morning. I think it will be important for me to sleep with the braces that keep your feet at 90 degrees. The journey so far has been manageable and I will be ready to move into my apartment, I will be leaving the hospital tomorrow sometime.

I feel the monorail fixator is solid and have walked with a walker with it. Sometimes I get shooting pain but I have never felt that it was unstable, I will make sure to constantly monitor the stability of it. There are only two annoyances with it that I do not believe will affect the result. The monorail is on the inside of both legs, this doesn't go through nearly as much muscle is what the doctor said which is advantageous. However, he said that it is easy to clank them together when walking. I have done this already and it is kind of a weird feeling. The other thing is the monorail extends to just below my ankle. This is annoying because I don't know if I will be able to wear shoes with the fixator. I will try to post a picture of it later to show you guys.  Those two things are inconvenient but I think they will be okay. I plan to wear the fixator for 100 days and whatever I get for length from it I will be happy with, as long as there are no complications of course. 

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 01:31:17 PM »

I hope the LON extending to below the ankle does not interfere with stretching.

is it designed that way to lock the ankle?

Time4LL

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 02:06:08 PM »

Sorry if I wrote that wrong. It is not the LON that extends below the ankle it is the monorail fixator. I don't think it will interfere with stretching. I will let everyone know if it does. My ankles are so swollen I cannot tell right now.

I am not sure why it extends below. Maybe for more support? The fixator is about the same length as my knee height so it is kind of long.

Arche

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 06:20:18 PM »

Hey Trailblazer, I know that you said you wouldn't take pictures of your body, but I was wondering if you could take pictures of your monorails zoomed in, in a way that no one would know who you were? Thanks man, and I'll be following your diary closely!

Time4LL

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 06:27:45 PM »

Yeah I can do that. They are basically the exact same thing as what BodyBuilder had on the old forum. Same placement and everything. Bodybuilder said they were not weight bearable after 5 cm but Dr. Inan says they are maybe it is because of the internal rod. I will definitely be cautious.

It is not that big of deal, I will take some pictures and show people who are interested. I probably will just take them down after I am complete with the journey. Once I get wifi in my apartment I will upload some. My phone is dead right now so I don't have a camera or the motivation to do it right now haha. Glad you are interested in my diary, it gives me something to do to write it.

KrP1

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2014, 07:22:38 PM »

Dr inan probably says that is full weight bearing because of your internal nail. Bodybuilder did only external. Nice to see that you have started your lengthening. Did dr Inan told you to how many cm you will length at a rate of 1mm/day?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up