Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hoping for 6cm - Dr Monegal - Barca - Bilateral femur  (Read 8491 times)

star-ray

Re: Hoping for 6cm - Dr Monegal - Barca - Bilateral femur
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2019, 04:46:52 PM »

Hey man, thanks for the well wishes.
becauce your 16, you can still grow alot naturally. I had a very poor diet at the age and I belive it did affect my final height.

I know it's akward, but go and see your doctor and tell him you are serious, try to maximise your natural height. I hope you do get the 2 3 inches naturally.

I can't speak from experience as of yet, but I do believe 2 years after the surgery it's fully back to normal. The internal nails are removed and you can run and do squats etc.

Americanfootballer who has a diary on here, he's coming towards end of his lengthening, He's lengthened upto 8cm.so yea I think it 8 is achievable.

star-ray

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2019, 09:22:39 PM »

Day 24 -

Dr Monegal and I went to the Clinica to get my Xray done. My right leg is now 1.84 cm taller :)

https://ibb.co/5KKBcVv

So far, my routine has been:

-Wake up @ 09:50
-Log in for work @ 10:00 (remote working),They have no idea I am in Barcelona lol
-Lengthen at 10:30
-See Alberto | PT Session @ 13:00
-Lengthen at 15:30
-Finish remote working @1800
-Go to ground zero to Cycle for 25 mins and walk for 45 mins @ 20:00
-Finish the day with some stretching, typically spend 20-30 mins.
-Final Lengthen at 11:30

My life has become very boring. Since leaving the hospital I only been out twice and that was for the Xrays. I know I can go out anytime I want but with crutches I am scared. I am scared someone will bump into me.

I have 2 more nights here before i fly back. Only mistake i made is i brought a cabin size suitcase with me, with crutches this is going to be a difficult task, i should have packed lighter so it all fitted in a backpack. I will do that for the second leg.

I am looking forward to returning back to the UK, so I can drive 😊

Pain wise, During the day i dont have any pain, i dont take any pain killers either during the day.
but sleeping wise, I take a paracetamol before I sleep, I typically get 5-6 hours before I wake up with discomfort in my knee, I then take another paracetamol and get good few more hours.

star-ray

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2019, 07:43:48 PM »

Day 26 -

Back to Manchester :)

I did call vueling Airlines few days before and made them aware I needed assistance. Even tho I can use crutches, they place you on a wheel chair and I was pretty much on a wheel chair during the whole time in the airport. The airport assistance was excellent annd I would have found this extremely difficult if I didn't have this assistance. They make you skip all the lines too :)  help you check in and get your bags etc.

https://ibb.co/Sw1TjwH

https://ibb.co/KyG8TZZ

4cms

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2019, 04:46:44 AM »

Nice Diary, It may take longer but i like the idea of lengthening 1 leg at a time.

Good work mate, Chase your Dreams.

star-ray

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2019, 11:55:10 AM »

Thanks 4cm. yea it does take longer  :-[  I wanted to do both legs at once and just get it all said and done in 4/5 months. but it meant quitting my job and I can't do that.  Weirdly height meant everything to me years ago but now my work means more. I will be going back to work tomorrow and this is approx 3 weeks after surgery. It wouldn't have been possible if I did both legs.

4cms

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2019, 03:26:34 AM »

Just a heads up on your pain meds, Dont take anything with Diclofenac in it at the early stages like now as its shown to slow bone healing.
You could probably take it after first 4 months in small amounts but just beware because i used to take it while lengthening and my callus formation didnt progress til after i stopped  Flexura D another name is Voltaren - ( diclofenac )

star-ray

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2019, 06:01:46 PM »

Thanks for the heads up bro. So far, I have only been taking paracetamol, and at night. I did get all the other pain killers from the pharmacy but intentionally just sticking to paracetamol for the reasons you mentioned.

Ghostfish

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2019, 02:00:05 AM »

Hi star-ray

Congrats on starting your journey!  It is hard to get it started, but once it starts, you will get to the end.
Stay focused and strong!! 
Good luck!

Frank01

• Visitor
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2019, 06:09:07 PM »

Hi Stay-ray,

I had a question when you say you walk for 45 minutes, do you mean on a treadmill without the crutches or do you just walk with crutches on the ground? Because the nail is not fully weight bearing right?

Regards,

Frank

star-ray

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2019, 10:00:11 PM »

Thanks ghost fish :)  and yea it took me forever to get here and I really can't wait until am close to the finish line.

@frank, walking with crutches. It is not fully weight bearing. I can only press down upto 20 kg. I am meant to walk much as I can with crutches, it is meant to be good for consolidation. Now that am back in UK, I do a bit more walking. My work place is super close and I walk there and back.

star-ray

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2019, 09:44:13 PM »

Day 62 -

I did an Xray on Saturday and my right leg has increased by 4.5 cm so far :)

Since my last update, i have been in the UK and lengthening at home. I do still go into work (Mon-Fri). The first few weeks on crutches, everyone was shocked and asked loads of questions.

I went to Barcelona on Friday (3rd May) for my Xray and a general check up with Dr Monegal. Dr Monegal was happy with my results and advised me on what to do next.

Since beginning of May, i have stop taken all Pain killers as the pain has been very low (Thank God).

The plan is do continue lengthening till 23rd May and then stop. This should get me a bit over the 6cm mark.

https://ibb.co/34hFmTg

star-ray

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2019, 11:12:49 PM »

Day 80 -

I have reached 6.3 CM on my right leg. I have just done my last click and won't be lengthening any more. I feel sooooooooooooooo happy and relieved. I know this is only half way as I got to do this all again for the left leg, but seeing the difference between my left and right leg is amazing and the difference is crazy! 

I have increased my walking with crutches. i am walking slightly weird, something i will need to improve on. i have brought special shoes which have hidden insoles, I didnt want to wear outsoles.

My Right leg has lost some muscle, as it looks a bit skinnier than my left. For me, this wasn't physically painful at all. Its a lot psychologically, being on crutches, means your not able to just go for a long walk.  Co-workers all wanted to know what happened and its the draining because you can't tell them exactly why you are on crutches. Also, you can't do simple things like carrying a plate, grab a coffee on the go.  and you do feel your being seen as somewhat disabled. This has given me a new perspective and made me realise how tough life is for someone who is actually permanently disabled. 

My next target is to keep improving my walking on crutches, i want to be able to get to 30 mins without stopping. I will book a flight in June time to see Dr Monegal. I will try to before that, attempt to walk with out crutches or even go to one, as long as the Dr approves.

Wish you all well and if your right now doing LL, Proud of you :)

star-ray

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2019, 05:50:52 PM »

Day 85 -
Having one leg 2 inches longer then the other is something am still getting use to. You can't really walk around with out insoles.

So far the main advantage I see with one leg at a time, is that I haven't quit my job. I wouldn't have been able to afford all of this if I had to quit. The disadvantage, it does feel like double the time.

https://ibb.co/sRYcJTH
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 07:11:20 PM by star-ray »

concernedmom

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2019, 06:13:36 PM »

Congrats. Did dr. Monegal do the nail insertion from the knee(retrograde)?

star-ray

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2019, 06:29:08 PM »

Thanks concernedmom.
And yes from the knee.

Chinese

• Visitor
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2019, 07:03:01 PM »

So you did your right leg first?

star-ray

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2019, 07:13:25 PM »

Yea, only done my right left so far. I plan to do my left leg hopefully late July, as long my consolidation is OK.

notatroll

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2019, 09:33:35 PM »

You wait till July. You're a cautious boy not a greedy one. You deserve the best. Hope this isn't ur case but some patients ended up with a permanent discrepancy after 2 stage LL. Beware

star-ray

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2019, 10:53:45 PM »

Thanks for the well wishes :) regarding discrepancy, i do plan to do few telemetries as I get past 5cm mark.  However, Still a lonnng way to go for that.

Americanfootball

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2019, 09:38:35 AM »

Bro , before do telemetry, work on knee extension ( especially AIS method that ı showed you)to get accurate result. your Legs are looking good.Nice work, keep going!

Stay Strong!

star-ray

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2019, 06:18:58 PM »

Thanks man :) I do appreciate all the tips and support.esp on stretching. You did send me alot of good stuff man.I try to strecth daily but naturally, there are days when I feel exhausted from work.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 06:46:02 PM by star-ray »

star-ray

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2019, 05:37:34 PM »

Day 98 -

I stopped lengthening my right leg last month on the 23rd. Since then i have been slowly trying to use one crutch but its been difficult. However today, it all just came together, my balance, the strength, and i was able to fully walk with no crutches. I actually didn't even need the crutches. Also i am walking on my new height (ish) and feels aaammmmmmamazzzingggggggg !!! :) Really cant describe how good i felt. I have not been comfortable in my own skin since secondary school. I will continue to use one crutch only and built up the distance. I am planning to see Dr Monegal on the 29th for general checkup and hoping my Xrays are good as how i feel.

otavio

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2019, 05:43:24 PM »

Did you reach 7 cm on  this journey?

star-ray

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2019, 05:59:24 PM »

Hey Otavio, no just bit above 6cm.

star-ray

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2019, 08:38:21 PM »

Day 118 -

Just a quick update, just got back from Barcelona, i was there for the weekend. It was short trip to see Dr Monegal for a routine check up. My xrays shows my bone consolidation is good so far:)
I can now walk with out crutches and even stand on my right leg fully. The plan is now to get 2/3 weeks off from work in late July to do the surgery for my left leg.

https://ibb.co/gm8vpmM

star-ray

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2019, 10:46:58 AM »

Day 141 -

Can't believe its been 141 days ! its been a boring journey and mentally a tough one. Tomorrow is my second surgery, this is to do my left leg. I am nowhere near as nervous when I did the surgery the first time. the first time I was extremely anxious, scared and almost backed out (thank God I didn't).

Recap:

-March 4th Surgery on the right leg
-May 23rd Stopped lengthening
-Gained 6.3 cm on the right leg
-Tomorrow, 24th July is the surgery on the left leg

I got to Barca this weekend. I've been walking around much as possible as i know i will be back on crutches and that means bye bye freedom for a bit. That said, walking isn't as easy, for few reasons; The insole I need to use for my left shoe is 7 cm, and the second reason, my right leg is still in the consolidation phase.

The thing i am weirdly looking forward to the most is buying some nice pair of trainers, i haven't purchased anything nice since i start wearing insoles 9 or more years ago. I have kept my eye on few, and can't wait till my left leg is done, So I can walk in my new height and buy them :) However, I do not like to get my hopes up early. Only 50 % of the journey is done. so i do visualize the things i can do once its completed but then pipe the idea out.

Some Info on the main man himself, Dr Monegal so far has been very helpful and most importantly, he makes time for me. I can't express how important that is. always respond to my messages pretty much within hours or 2, When i go to visit him for my Xrays, he does sit down and has a good catch up and doesn't rush anything. Also, there have been times when i have gone to see the Dr and there have been students that are shadowing him who are mostly aspiring surgeons and have a lot of respect for him.

The first time i made a big mistake of bringing a suitcase, I was not able to carry/wheel that when i was crutches. This time i have just packed everything in a backpack. I dont plan to stay in barca for a whole month this time either, i am hoping 14 days in total i can head back home.

One last thing, the only thing i disliked, is travelling on the plane, being wheelchaired through the airport and waiting on the plane for a chair to come and holding back all the aircrew and passengers, all these little time-consuming things caused by me, It does make me feel a bit stressed out. The very first time i travelled on a wheelchair, it was an OK and smooth experience, but the times after, I did have one bad experience.
I have mentioned this in a previous post, but this process has made me find a new perspective of what it must be like for someone with a disability and the difficulties they face daily. I realized what I can do to make it easier for them.

star-ray

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2019, 10:37:31 AM »

Quick update:

Woke up at 6am to have water as that was my cut off time, had my last meal at 8 am. Now am waiting for my blood test. My surgery is scheduled for today at 5pm.  If anyone has seen that GTA meme, 'ahh s***,here we go again'. That is how I feel lol.

https://ibb.co/WzhV5Pz

star-ray

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2019, 09:41:19 PM »

Last update for today:

Just propley woke up, the surgery was a success :), praise the Lord and huge thanks to Dr Monegal for making my dreams to become reality.

I am freaking starving though and been told I can't eat for Few another more hours. Mannn I can really do with a KFC lol. I am very surprised on how much I can move my left leg literally hours after the surgery. They do take payment before the surgery at it was 19200 euros and so happy this is the last major payment I need to make towards gaining height. Took a long time to save up and so glad that I can now save up for other things in life. Dr. Monegal did remove the antenna from the right leg too :)

Wish you all well and good luck to any one who's about to embark the LL journey.

https://vimeo.com/349979196
Password is 1234

star-ray

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2019, 02:08:29 PM »

day 144 -

Second day in Clinica Diagonal: I don't have much power to move my left leg. Weirdly right after the surgery I was able to move it alot. Maybe it was all the anaesthetic that hid the pain. Yesterday I did feel a bit sick, however today I am OK. As I am writing this I am using the cpm machine whiles listening to the one and only biggie :)  I have requested to remove the epidural as I want to start using the walker, so, hopefully that can happen today.  I do need to go back to work in 2 weeks so majority of lengthening will be done in UK.

My xrays shows that the Dr did an amazing job and amazing bone grafting.

https://ibb.co/P69n7dV

https://vimeo.com/350322911
Password is 1234
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 02:44:56 PM by star-ray »

star-ray

« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2019, 02:00:59 PM »

day 152 -

Its been 10 days since I did the second surgery. I left Clinica Diagonal on Wednesday. The first few nights at MIC I didn't have my pain killers with me and boyyyyy oh boy, I tried to tough it out but then pain was 10/10.

The real challenge now is walking with this temporary discrepancy. See am meant to put parital amount of weight on the left leg (upto 15 kg) and walk with crutches. But one being 6 cm longer and using insoles shoes on the operated leg, makes it tricky.  I don't want to wear 6cm platform for obv reasons.  However I can walk when with no shoes, I might try walking with just normal shoes (no insoles). I go back to work next week so I will use one leg (right) to move around. Exercise both when I get home from work.

https://vimeo.com/351783217
Password is 1234
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 02:35:09 PM by star-ray »

star-ray

« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2019, 09:58:22 PM »

Day 198 -

Its been 56 days since the second surgery (left leg). I did go and see Dr Monegal this weekend gone. My recovery has gone good so far. It feels so amazing standing tall on my right leg, my confidence level has gone up, i am extremely happy and i feel like i got my life back. I  haven't stressed about my height in the last 2 months and finally feel comfortable in my own skin. i can focus on other things  now and I feel so free :)  oh and am wearing shoes that i actually like as i dont need to buy big bulky ones with insoles.

Dr Monegal was pleased with my consolidation and said 25 more days to go (0.8MM a day) to complete lengthening for my left leg.

https://ibb.co/ncYPYBR

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up