Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Giotikas, LON 5cm Tibia  (Read 38599 times)

Jolien

Re: Dr Giotikas, LON 5cm Tibia
« Reply #217 on: December 02, 2019, 11:04:51 AM »

without aids

Dear,

the first days I was not allowed to walk to much, but because I have a full-weight bearing internal nail I can walk without worrying :-D

Kind regards

Jolien

TemakiSushi

« Reply #218 on: December 02, 2019, 11:52:22 AM »

Dear,

the first days I was not allowed to walk to much, but because I have a full-weight bearing internal nail I can walk without worrying :-D

Kind regards

Jolien
Do you feel tibias get thicker after lengthening?
Plan to have Stryde TIBIAS surgery with Donghoon
Welcome any NEGATIVE information of Donghoon
Any doctor with more than 5% complication rate is NOT acceptable

tacoma94

« Reply #219 on: December 03, 2019, 03:57:55 AM »

Hi Jolien,

I cannot thank you enough for this diary. You match my situation almost exactly. I am 168, and due to the risk of PE/DVT/FES as well as price, I am not considering pure internal tibias/femurs, only externals + LATN on tibia. I am going for 4-4.5cm maximum (for safety and personal reasons, I refuse to go beyond this limit), am currently 24 years old. Am also planning to keep this a secret.

I have 3 questions:
1. You mentioned that Giotikas was the best doctor you could find for your price range. I have a bit more funds, and I am strongly considering Donghoon Lee, due to his strength in Tibias+LATN as well as his perfect track record for major permanent complications. May I ask, did you consider him, and if price was not a concern, would he be one of your top choices?
2. Secondly, I read your google doc and you mentioned a 5% chance of internal nail infection. I want to understand this risk better. For the 5%, was it because they did not take good care, or due to the doctor's fault? Are internal nail infections more a fault of the patient or the doctor? And IF a internal nail infection occurred, how did the hospital say they will fix it?
3. Did you ever consider the risk of DVT/PE due to the internal rod? Did the doctor mention anything about the risk, relative to say internal femur or pure externals?

Your answers, if you have time, will be sooo helpful. I wish you the very best and a safe recovery!

TemakiSushi

« Reply #220 on: December 03, 2019, 12:20:00 PM »

Dear,

Kind regards

Jolien
Last question I asked wrongly
Correction
Do you feel your calf muscle became thicker after the lengthening?
Or is it due to lots training, you have thicker calf?

Jolien

« Reply #221 on: December 03, 2019, 04:10:19 PM »

Hi Jolien,

I cannot thank you enough for this diary. You match my situation almost exactly. I am 168, and due to the risk of PE/DVT/FES as well as price, I am not considering pure internal tibias/femurs, only externals + LATN on tibia. I am going for 4-4.5cm maximum (for safety and personal reasons, I refuse to go beyond this limit), am currently 24 years old. Am also planning to keep this a secret.

I have 3 questions:
1. You mentioned that Giotikas was the best doctor you could find for your price range. I have a bit more funds, and I am strongly considering Donghoon Lee, due to his strength in Tibias+LATN as well as his perfect track record for major permanent complications. May I ask, did you consider him, and if price was not a concern, would he be one of your top choices?
2. Secondly, I read your google doc and you mentioned a 5% chance of internal nail infection. I want to understand this risk better. For the 5%, was it because they did not take good care, or due to the doctor's fault? Are internal nail infections more a fault of the patient or the doctor? And IF a internal nail infection occurred, how did the hospital say they will fix it?
3. Did you ever consider the risk of DVT/PE due to the internal rod? Did the doctor mention anything about the risk, relative to say internal femur or pure externals?

Your answers, if you have time, will be sooo helpful. I wish you the very best and a safe recovery!

Dear,

1. I've never heard of him, so no I did not considered him. I think I cancelled him out of my options very early because of the price :p

2. For what I think is this 5% a percentage described in the medicine literature, based on previous experience from doctors all over the world. The risk of internal nails infection is so high because the bacteria can travel via the external pins to your bone and when the are in the bone (calles osteomyelitis) they have free access to the internal nail. I was terrified this would happen when I had an infection of one of the external nails at the height of my knee, because there the external nail was suuuuper close to the internal nail. So it is very logic the infection risk is very high. This is why I recommend to keep the external nails dry and to use a des-infectans spray every day at every pinsite (I didnt thought about it till I had an infection at the very end of my lengthening journey). Try to never touch the pinsite is and alway keep it covered with a gauze of something. 

If you have an infected internal nail they will have to take the internal nail out and 'wash' the internal space of your bone out.

3. The risk for pulmonary embolism en DVT is in first instance post-operative because they brake your bone. Bone marrow contains fat that can travel in your blood and cause DVT and Pulm. embolism. So I think you only have a higher risk right after the operation. During the lengthening phase I think everybody has the same risk just because of all the movement (lengthening) inside your leg.

Kin regards

Jolien

Jolien

« Reply #222 on: December 03, 2019, 04:11:49 PM »

Last question I asked wrongly
Correction
Do you feel your calf muscle became thicker after the lengthening?
Or is it due to lots training, you have thicker calf?

That is correct!!!

This is still edema (fluid) because the bone is still not healed so there is still an inflammation process going on which causes fluid build-up in my legs. This is temporarily till my bone is completely healed :-)

Kind regards!

Jolien

Jolien

« Reply #223 on: December 03, 2019, 04:26:21 PM »

Dear,

just posted my x-rays I had done yesterday (2/12/2019) = 6 months after completion leg-lengthening

Next x-ray will be in May 2020 because the internal nail can be removed at least one year after completion leg-lengthening, so we are gonna see if the bone healing is completed by then.

Kind regards

Jolien

TemakiSushi

« Reply #224 on: December 04, 2019, 03:27:37 AM »

That is correct!!!

This is still edema (fluid) because the bone is still not healed so there is still an inflammation process going on which causes fluid build-up in my legs. This is temporarily till my bone is completely healed :-)

Kind regards!

Jolien
Thank you very much for your answer
I’m a bit scared of getting thicker calf since mine is already thick with natural muscles
I don’t train but thick to begin with :'(

tacoma94

« Reply #225 on: December 04, 2019, 09:04:28 AM »

Hey thank you for the quick reply!

It is likely I will do this procedure, I will definitely make an extremely detailed diary like you for others.

When you said that you sprayed your pin sites with disinfectant, was this something you did from the start or only after you had your first infection? Also, if I am extremely careful, never taking a shower and using disinfectant every few hours, can I eliminate the risk of external/internal infection?

Great321

« Reply #226 on: December 04, 2019, 12:27:10 PM »

Thank you very much for your answer
I’m a bit scared of getting thicker calf since mine is already thick with natural muscles
I don’t train but thick to begin with :'(

Didn't Dr. Lee recommend wearing compression stockings for 2 years after the surgery to avoid the calves get much thicker? I heard him saying that in one video.

Great321

« Reply #227 on: December 04, 2019, 12:35:56 PM »

It is likely I will do this procedure, I will definitely make an extremely detailed diary like you for others.

When you said that you sprayed your pin sites with disinfectant, was this something you did from the start or only after you had your first infection? Also, if I am extremely careful, never taking a shower and using disinfectant every few hours, can I eliminate the risk of external/internal infection?

The doctor will most likely explain to you how and with exactly which disinfectants you can clean your pin sites. In the beginning I was supposed to do it every day, later it was 3 times a week and even later only once a week. Apparantly too much cleaning can cause problems too. I wasn't allowed to shower for the first 2 months. But I didn't shower for even longer to avoid infections. If you do a thorough "cat lick" or how it's called, you'll be fine. I recommend guys to trim their hair to a few mm, it makes it easier to wash your hair.

TemakiSushi

« Reply #228 on: December 04, 2019, 03:04:59 PM »

Didn't Dr. Lee recommend wearing compression stockings for 2 years after the surgery to avoid the calves get much thicker? I heard him saying that in one video.
If the thickening is due to the muscle then stocking won’t work.  I was afraid it’s her muscles
if it’s edema then stocking may work I guess

Jolien

« Reply #229 on: December 04, 2019, 04:07:10 PM »

I started spraying after my first infection! I regret this! The important thing is to use a spray, so try to not touch it!! and let it dry on the air and afterwards use clean gauzes. The key thing is to touch it as little as possible and reduce the risk of accidently touching it with something (that's why I used gauzes to cover them up). The second key thing is to keep it dry. I really think this can decrease the risk for infection massively since I have seen a patient who didnt took care of then and didnt covered them and had 'inflammations' constantly and my kinetherapist told me about one of her previous patient who alway showered with it and also had infections.

I this the very most important thing in this entire journey is to use your own common sense and to be as consistent as possible.

Kind regards

Jolien

Jolien

« Reply #230 on: December 04, 2019, 04:08:15 PM »

One small addition; use a disinfectans without alcohol (ethanol) cause this causes tissue damage which can eventually increase the risk for infections.

Kind regards

Jolien

cam007

« Reply #231 on: February 16, 2020, 06:21:24 AM »

Ive lurked for a while and this is one of those most comfortable feeling diaries I’ve read.   I have more than half my money saved and am also doing LON Tobias max 5.5cm.

Im a guy though but am super surprised with your patience , especially with everyone asking the same questions half the time Becuase they didn’t read thru the diary smh.

I’ve written down all the vitamins and exercises and read your pdf in your drive . I’m going to try and copy every thing you did so I can move like that in 5mths too. I’ve only told one person I’m doing this. Everyone else I don’t care what they think and they can talk to me when I’m 2inch taller lol.

Congrats on having a good recovery !
175cm , goal 181cm

** est.2022 for 5-6cm tibias preferably

Alexa

• Visitor
« Reply #232 on: February 27, 2020, 09:48:55 PM »

Hey girl!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience :)

Just wondering how your scars are doing and if they look any different from when you first shared?

Jolien

« Reply #233 on: May 01, 2020, 08:49:25 AM »

Ive lurked for a while and this is one of those most comfortable feeling diaries I’ve read.   I have more than half my money saved and am also doing LON Tobias max 5.5cm.

Im a guy though but am super surprised with your patience , especially with everyone asking the same questions half the time Becuase they didn’t read thru the diary smh.

I’ve written down all the vitamins and exercises and read your pdf in your drive . I’m going to try and copy every thing you did so I can move like that in 5mths too. I’ve only told one person I’m doing this. Everyone else I don’t care what they think and they can talk to me when I’m 2inch taller lol.

Congrats on having a good recovery !
Dear,

I'm happy to read this!
I wish you all the best!! Good luck!!

Kind regards

Jolien

Jolien

« Reply #234 on: May 01, 2020, 08:51:57 AM »

Hey girl!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience :)

Just wondering how your scars are doing and if they look any different from when you first shared?

Dear,

I will post a new video of me walking and running and I will post some clear pictures of my scars!
Because of the Corona-crisis I havent got recent x-rays to show you guys.

Kind regards

Jolien

Samsunny889

• Visitor
« Reply #235 on: May 06, 2020, 09:44:16 PM »

I think u can let the nail remain. May I ask if the nail is bothering / hurting you while walking & running. Also Do you think that after one year post operation you have been able to return 80-90% of your preop level.

limbcllnea

« Reply #236 on: June 11, 2020, 02:22:19 AM »

Glad it went perfectly for you.

Did you do any stretching/excercises pre-surgery to help prepare for the surgery? If so what did you do and for how long?

more

« Reply #237 on: July 17, 2020, 08:48:48 AM »

Jolien Your diary very discriptive and full of knowledge
but one thing i noticed Your knees are not in right position they are moving toward inside and look like x-legs
Your walk does not look normal

azman

« Reply #238 on: July 17, 2020, 09:13:08 AM »

Jolien Your diary very discriptive and full of knowledge
but one thing i noticed Your knees are not in right position they are moving toward inside and look like x-legs
Your walk does not look normal

Boy oh boy, should I just keep my mouth shut 🤐 on this post.  This is some funny sh#t, damn you are entertaining Dr. More.  What the hell is X-legs Dr. More? 

This is #5 of Dr. G patients that you posted on or should I say commented on.  You must have a hard on for Dr. G patients. 

Dr. More who do you actually work for, wait let me guess wannabetaller? 

more

« Reply #239 on: July 17, 2020, 09:45:19 AM »

Boy oh boy, should I just keep my mouth shut 🤐 on this post.  This is some funny sh#t, damn you are entertaining Dr. More.  What the hell is X-legs Dr. More? 

This is #5 of Dr. G patients that you posted on or should I say commented on.  You must have a hard on for Dr. G patients. 

Dr. More who do you actually work for, wait let me guess wannabetaller?
Her walk is not normal , see her right knee moving toward inside

gigaki

• Visitor
« Reply #240 on: July 18, 2020, 01:06:44 PM »

By Xlegs I assume he means valgus defomity- I think this is assumed because her knees are inwardly rotating relatively to her feet. You do not need to be an expert to notice her knees are not pointing forward and make such a  speculation. This is  usually caused by external tibia torsion. People with this deformity can only walk with their feet forward by compensating (inwardly rotating hips/knees). I am also surprised by the fact that she had rotational correction as well. I expected alignment to be restored but it seems like it is not!

Gman23

« Reply #241 on: July 19, 2020, 05:44:28 PM »

I hope you recover fast, how much did you lengthen ?? And what do you think about 2 surgeries, 5 inches gain 3inches on tibia and 2 on femurs. please reply, thank you
Height 156cm / Goal 168cm / femurs and tibia with Dr Parihar or Dr Giotikas

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65614.0

more

« Reply #242 on: July 19, 2020, 06:03:05 PM »

Dear Gman23 . You already know the cost and everything. Go and see Your own posts and comments
You arleady have 3 Threads in ' Limb lengthening patients experience about cost and all with dr.Giotikas . one thread is removed already .
You are popping up dr.Giotikas diary . F### man this forum is full of fake patients

Gman23

« Reply #243 on: July 19, 2020, 11:32:46 PM »

Dear Gman23 . You already know the cost and everything. Go and see Your own posts and comments
You arleady have 3 Threads in ' Limb lengthening patients experience about cost and all with dr.Giotikas . one thread is removed already .
You are popping up dr.Giotikas diary . F### man this forum is full of fake patients

Lol well yeah but I’m not familiar with the nails, I only know about Stryde nail being a good one. But not sure what LON is or the others. And what do you mean by fake patients? I’ve read few diaries of Dr giotikas and he seems like a reliable surgeon...
Height 156cm / Goal 168cm / femurs and tibia with Dr Parihar or Dr Giotikas

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65614.0

infinity&beyond

« Reply #244 on: January 12, 2021, 06:48:30 AM »

All finished for you then. And what a journey it has been! This is my favourite diary of the many I’ve read on here. Your start to finish completion has been nothing short of inspiring. In fact I’m jealous.

Seems you don’t come on here much anymore now that it’s done for you, but in case you do please reply to this. Thanks for your google drive, it’s really helpful. However, I was wondering if you could provide a before and after set of videos. Nothing of this sort on the google drive. Do you think you could put something together? Interested to see what a 5cm actually adds to tibia looks like in photos.

Thanks Jolien

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #245 on: January 12, 2021, 09:02:49 AM »

Wow, Jolien. Never really seen this type of diary format before. So neat! Google Drive with all videos, an executive summary, a google doc with tons of photos and clear & neat formatting, what you did and aftermaths, etc , still posting updates to this day (Though you've last been on half a year ago), a spreadsheet with short diary entries. Also very obvious you enjoyed paying a premium to stay at the physio center instead renting a place or an airbnb alone.. better for you mentally and physically.. I'll keep that in mind

Definitely one of the most descriptive diaries I've read. I will probably do something like this format for diary- it's super neat

Saw your xrays on July 10th. Looking really good. Congrats Jolien on your long attractive legs!

Thank you so much for recording your experience!
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

Vibes

« Reply #246 on: January 20, 2021, 03:36:07 AM »

Wow, Jolien. Never really seen this type of diary format before. So neat! Google Drive with all videos, an executive summary, a google doc with tons of photos and clear & neat formatting, what you did and aftermaths, etc , still posting updates to this day (Though you've last been on half a year ago), a spreadsheet with short diary entries. Also very obvious you enjoyed paying a premium to stay at the physio center instead renting a place or an airbnb alone.. better for you mentally and physically.. I'll keep that in mind

Definitely one of the most descriptive diaries I've read. I will probably do something like this format for diary- it's super neat

Saw your xrays on July 10th. Looking really good. Congrats Jolien on your long attractive legs!

Thank you so much for recording your experience!

TY for bumping this to my attention ghkid I probably would have never seen  8) you are right this is an awesome diary given how sweet it is formatted and I'd like to do something also similar for my diary.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up