Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing height- Programdude's Precice 2 Internal femurs with Dr. Paley  (Read 240290 times)

programdude

Re: Installing height- Programdude's Precice 2 Internal femurs with Dr. Paley
« Reply #155 on: September 08, 2014, 03:31:03 PM »

My latest X-Rays, about 4.3 on right, 1-2 less on left. He couldn't be sure since they X-Rays were low quality.

Pains cropping up in my left leg, hoping they pass.

Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

Plzen

« Reply #156 on: September 16, 2014, 01:17:58 PM »

PD,
How are you doing? Are you able to sleep any better? Is your pain better?

programdude

« Reply #157 on: September 16, 2014, 05:18:13 PM »

Im doing ok. Sleep is still poor, but I'm well enough adjusted to it. Today marks two months I've been in Florida. Monday will be two months post op.

Pain isnt great, but then again Im taking nothing for it. My left leg is making some noises and hurts a good deal, and I can feel it sort of click when its moved or pressed in certain ways. Its probably fine since this whole process has had pains bouncing from one part of my leg to another, but I'll know on monday.

I'm certainly feeling better since I'm getting closer and closer to the end of the lengthening road. Looking forward to kissing the machine goodbye and my sleep and aches slowly improving.
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Taller

« Reply #158 on: September 16, 2014, 05:43:53 PM »

You are now at the average height of an adult male in the United States! Congratulations!

programdude

« Reply #159 on: September 16, 2014, 07:49:44 PM »

Thanks man, technically if my posture was better(no duck ass) I should be 5 10, so a little more than average even. It certainly feels good, and unlike the first month where you don't notice much, I certainly can note the difference now.

programdude

« Reply #160 on: September 22, 2014, 06:26:30 PM »

Exactly two months post op and my right leg is EXACTLY where it should be. I told the PA I should be at 57.25 mm and he came up with 57.33. Left is 2 mm behind. My next appointment will have me past the 7 CM mark, so my new goal I am thinking is 7.5, but we will see how my body is tolerating it all.

Saw Dr. Paley who I was surprised checked in briefly. Said I was doing excellent based off my x rays and range of motion measurements my PT put together.

Anxious to be done with this machine, but it looks like I should be on the last leg of this journey at last.

dondon

• Visitor
« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2014, 09:53:51 AM »

Hi PD, glad to hear you're doing fine.
I've been following your diaries for sometime, and I thank you for being so honest and informative about the surgery in general.
I have a few questions if you don't mind answering...

1) How much money have you spent so far? I might consider PRECICE2 with Paley sometime next year, but I have no experience living the USA. I need to know the budget range. I'll probably have to go through the whole process on my own, just like you.

2) You seem to be pretty confident that Paley is the best bet in LL. During your stay in WPB, have you seen anyone who disagrees with your opinion? If so, why would he/she say so?

3) I'm considering tibias, have you seen anyone who's done tibials LL with PRECICE2? How have they fared? Any complications?

Thanks mate. Stay strong.

programdude

« Reply #162 on: September 23, 2014, 01:44:31 PM »

1. I would say around 100k- 85k for surgery and ITB release, probably 150-200 for medication(but I have insurance, it will be more costly for your because of xeralto being pricy, so add maybe 600-800. Housing is 63 a night. Then theres food, which will probably be a couple hundred since you will need dinner thurs- sun and will want some food for if you miss the breakfast buffet. Then theres the cost of your flying tickets. If you do tibias you will be spending more on the surgery mind you.

2. I've met many people and even those who don't like Paley as a person respect his skill and knowledge. Everyone I've met so far has been satisfied with their experience. I've even met people messed up by other dr.'s who've come here to get better.

3. I wouldn't do tibias. I've met a guy who did them, but he didn't even do a full inch, though he did recover fast and without issue. I've met one female, and heard of another who did tibias. Both had their screws come out, though this is considered more likely in females. I still wouldn't take any chances personally.

dondon

• Visitor
« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2014, 10:35:11 AM »

Is that so?
Do you know why he stopped so short? Complications maybe?
What did he/the two ladies say about tibial lengthening?
I heard that tibia is much less painful...maybe that's not true after all. :(

programdude

« Reply #164 on: September 25, 2014, 02:41:43 PM »

He was nuts. He did an inch on femurs and less than an inch on tibias.

I've been told it is much less painful. But who cares about pain? Extremely expensive complications/longterm issues are the real reasons to avoid it.

choloboy

• Visitor
« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2014, 03:00:31 PM »

Hi programdude, just read this entire thread and am pleased to hear your experience has been overall going swell. I am in a similar boat as you were. I am 5'6, weigh 160 and am nearly 21 years of age. I beginning to strongly consider this procedure but am curious as to how long it takes before you can be physically active. I play college soccer and have one more year left. I am curious, how long do you think it takes before someone can get back to training/working out daily?

programdude

« Reply #166 on: September 25, 2014, 05:07:13 PM »

Keep in mind I am still lengthening not done. However, the past few weeks i have been gaining weight and feeling very strong. Working out should happen fast. Obviously upper body isn't affected, and when bones are consolidated leg press etc. would be easy with lighter weight.

Running etc. I don't know, but I could walk now in theory, just would break my rods lol.

choloboy

• Visitor
« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2014, 05:19:43 PM »

are those rods permanent? Does bone build around it?

programdude

« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2014, 05:28:07 PM »

Rods can be removed, some choose not to though. Yes the bones grow back while they are in.

choloboy

• Visitor
« Reply #169 on: September 25, 2014, 05:32:43 PM »

Im curious to know how all these people afford this!!! At the age of 20 I don't think I can for quite some time. I doubt my insurance (in Canada) would cover any of it.

I did see people in this forum talking about getting the procedure done in India for like a total of 25k (rough estimation), so back to actually considering it...

I have a question and would like all of you to provide your input if possible. I would like to get around 10cm taller. What would you all recommend? Tibial? Femur?

All input is greatly appreciated.

programdude

« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2014, 10:03:53 PM »

I've met people here who have been butchered in india. Food for thought.

10 CM is a pretty ridiculous gain for one surgery, I don't think any reputable doctor will allow that.

choloboy

• Visitor
« Reply #171 on: September 26, 2014, 03:01:26 AM »

So 7cm would be more realistic?

Greek-Semidget

« Reply #172 on: September 26, 2014, 05:10:10 AM »

7-8 cm in femurs is a normal gain, though I think lengthening femurs is better for people who are 170+ because below that their Tobias are too stumpy
Current height 5'8 Future height: 5'11 . 3 inch gain tibias in Russia.

dondon

• Visitor
« Reply #173 on: September 26, 2014, 11:22:44 AM »

Wow, that guy you mentioned must have been obsessed with proportions. A proper nuts. And a rich one too.
Anyways, I know that femur takes shorter to get back to normal life(1~2 months faster rehab), but the end product are similar compared to tibias, or at least that's what I've been told on this forum.
PD, do you really tibial lengthening is more dangerous in the long run?
The reason I'm considering tibias is because I have relatively short tibias compared to femur with approximately 0.76 ratio.
I was thinking maybe 2 inches to be on the safe side.
What do you think?

PS: by the way, how does you day go by these days? What do you do to keep you occupied during the daytime?
     I'm a little worried about depression and being lonely etc, because I will most likely be alone for the 2 months in WPB.

programdude

« Reply #174 on: September 26, 2014, 01:43:24 PM »

Cholo- 7 cm is normal. Not a lot seem to actually go for, or achieve 8 here for one reason or another, but if it is your goal and your nail doesn't fail theres no reason you can't do it.

Don- All I know is that there are reports of knee pain from various people who have had rods inserted in their tibia. The other reason is the much higher complication rate. Keep in mind most complications don't really have much to do with the amount you lengthen. Having personally seen someones screws coming out has really left me biased against tibias. Research the knee pain and see if you are willing to risk it, then save up a lot of money just in case, and hope you don't need it.

On the plus side tibias are much more comfortable than femurs- every single person I've met doing femurs has a terrible time sleeping. The people I've met doing tibias sleep like a rock for 8-10 hours. The stretches are also less painful to my understanding.

My days are the same over and over- wake up at a crappy hour, force myself to eat breakfast, depending on when my PT is either try and sleep again, or hop in the shower, do PT, come back and rest for a couple hours, head to the pool or get dinner(order may vary), head back to room and shower again, browse internet, stretch, take zzquill, try and fall asleep for hours, sleep a total of 2-5 hours on and off. Repeat.

Towards the beginning the routine was spirit crushing, because early on my sleep was especially bad and accompanied by borderline hallucinations as I mentioned before. My discomfort was very high and I couldn't even focus on watching a show or reading properly, and the loneliness was certainly present, which I had initially thought wouldn't be an issue at all. The whole first month was a battle to not give up, with lots of ups and downs. During the day while I was with friends by the pool or at a cookout, or at PT I felt ok and strong, but each day going back to my room was like death. I've heard a few other patients who have done this alone have felt exactly the same, including one who couldn't take it.

But it does get better. The second month was quite a bit more bearable, and although I am weary from all this now, the fact I'm at the end of the road is keeping me going just fine. For anyone doing femurs you really should have someone with you, especially that first month- I am strong mentally and physically with a high pain tolerance and it was extremely challenging for me. For tibias, because you won't feel tortured and will be able to focus on things as a result I think you would cope a lot better. Also just the fact you will know you only have two months instead of three will help, since just the fact I had three months of lengthening really wore me down when I was at the beginning.

dondon

• Visitor
« Reply #175 on: September 28, 2014, 06:06:15 AM »

Thanks PD for the reply.
I will research stuff on knee pain with intramedullary nailing.
I hope you stay strong and everything goes well for you during the remaining few weeks of lengthening.

I

programdude

« Reply #176 on: October 02, 2014, 12:12:10 AM »

Very strange day.
Pt is going well, pain is negligible, sleep fairly typical.
One of the patients here is leaving but a new patient just arrived who has already done femurs and is returning for tibia.
I was interviewed by someone hired by Paley who has been talking to patients about ways to improve things and about the forums. It sounds like they want to stay ahead of the curve and be sure they are out there seeing as so many LL doctors are popping up globally.
The most interesting part was paley arriving and having a very long discussion with me/the interviewer, and eventually another man who joined, seemingly to make the surgery with Paley more accessible to those in Japan. Lots of interesting things came up including certain complications with other dr.'s and most interestingly that they are developing a nail for times stronger than the current.

Bad news is either someones hand I shook, or the lemonade I drank set off my first ever allergic reaction with me bursting out and still being in hives/having itchy palms out of nowhere.

programdude

« Reply #177 on: October 06, 2014, 01:31:15 PM »

Despite believing my left leg was lengthening improperly due to a vibration in the leg as well as it being incredibly looser, things are on point, with me still 2mm behind on my left. I am about 7.1 on my right. I am waiting to hear back from paley about when I start to get surcharged for x rays, because I don't want that and will plan accordingly. This is also my last week of pt, though I cancelled tomorrow and moved it to monday.

Because of these factors as well as the slight bend in the rod(and its vulnerability) I may stop at 7.5 or so.

It feels good to be at the end.

Overdozer

« Reply #178 on: October 06, 2014, 01:58:03 PM »

I've been there to witness you start the thread (before I registered), and now you're done, lol, while I'm still consolidating with the annoying frames. Nice x-rays. Did Paley give you an estimate on when you can start walking unaided? And did he tell you to use xeralto after you're done with disctraction phase?
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

Taller

« Reply #179 on: October 06, 2014, 04:06:54 PM »

Congrats on your progress! Are you 5'11 now?

Greek-Semidget

« Reply #180 on: October 06, 2014, 04:26:35 PM »

Congrats!!! Dude that's awesome, wish I was at your place ! :) Good luck
Current height 5'8 Future height: 5'11 . 3 inch gain tibias in Russia.

programdude

« Reply #181 on: October 06, 2014, 05:14:46 PM »

I haven't had my final appointment yet where I suspect I will be told about medications etc. The dr. today said I should consolidate very quickly since my bone growth is excellent even on aleve. I'm 5 11 in a couple days I believe. I am pretty much at the gain where I'm pretty satisfied, and anything more is just great.

It is also pretty incredible how loose my left leg is considering it is lengthening on par. My right leg is ok too, the only thing really a problem at all is my duck ass. Otherwise the tightness etc has just gotten better since the midway point.

Taller

« Reply #182 on: October 06, 2014, 05:25:42 PM »

Wow, I can't wait to hear how your life changes for the better once you're 5'11 and fully recovered. Regardless of when you stop at this point, you can easily be 5'11.5 or even 6'0 in the right pair of shoes. Pretty sweet height for sure!

programdude

« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2014, 08:56:32 PM »

Well already my symmetry is greatly improved. As for height in shoes I am easily 6 ft in them even now if I had no duck ass.

Moubgf

« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2014, 01:13:10 AM »

Very nice  8)

programdude

« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2014, 01:44:45 AM »

One week left, final appointment next thursday.

Really happy with my left legs looseness at 3 inches of lengthening. Hip flexors are pretty much all we are working on in PT now. Noticing more and more new patients appearing at PT center.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21   Go Up