Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Diary - January 2019 - In Full Stryde with Dr. Mahboubian of North Hollywood.  (Read 122435 times)

InFullStryde

Does your butt look different nked? I always imagines it would stretch the bottom part of your glutes and look abnormal. Am I wrong?

Especially in the first few weeks after surgery; you will lose your butt almost completely.  Once you begin to build it back it starts to look like your old butt.  The longer femurs don't seem to have much of an impact on how my butt looks; more so the loss of fat and muscle here impact the look. Good question.
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

SimonFuller

Especially in the first few weeks after surgery; you will lose your butt almost completely.  Once you begin to build it back it starts to look like your old butt.  The longer femurs don't seem to have much of an impact on how my butt looks; more so the loss of fat and muscle here impact the look. Good question.

Great to hear you're doing well - do you find you are changing your clothing options with the longer femurs?

I have a short torso so I look better with shirts tucked out - just wondering what you do?

Also for work I wear a shirt tucked in and normally no jacket - that's where I'm worried most about the proportions

InFullStryde

Great to hear you're doing well - do you find you are changing your clothing options with the longer femurs?

I have a short torso so I look better with shirts tucked out - just wondering what you do?

Also for work I wear a shirt tucked in and normally no jacket - that's where I'm worried most about the proportions

Hi Simon, Good question.   So far my clothing has stayed the same.   My proportions were pretty much textbook before I started the surgery, so if anything; I probably look more streamlined in the pants I wear.   I usually will tuck in my shirt for the office. Everything is looking good.   I'll let you know if any feedback I get. 
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020

InFullStryde

(Tuesday) Day 116 Post Op - Day 24 Consolidation/Recovery Phase - DISTRACTION COMPLETED....[7.5 cm Achieved / 3 inches Taller!]

Greetings CLL'er's,

I hope all is well. I just wanted to check in. My recovery continues and I'm doing pretty good.  Working on that general theme of tightness and APT...but it's improving. In fact, I'm just taking a break from working my glutes to type this, ha.  My updates will likely be less frequent since the day-to-day is pretty similar at this stage.  I will continue to update you weekly, at least, however on how I'm doing and will always make you aware of various milestones.   Additionally, I plan on recording more video every few weeks or so; so that you can observe progress in walking.  If you recall, my bones are already bridged after only 3 weeks of consolidation.  My next X-Rays and appointment with Dr. M is in 8 weeks, so I expect to see some pretty solid bone by then and hopefully I'll be comfortable walking as well. We shall see.

I check these boards just about every day; so please feel free to ask anything you would like.

Have a great evening and all the best,

IFS

TheAlchemist

That's great to hear your recovery continues to go well! The primary reason I check this site is your diary (very honest and informative) so your weekly updates going forward will be much appreciated. I'm especially interested in hearing about how your walk/gait progresses! Wishing you all the best as you continue your journey!
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

InFullStryde

That's great to hear your recovery continues to go well! The primary reason I check this site is your diary (very honest and informative) so your weekly updates going forward will be much appreciated. I'm especially interested in hearing about how your walk/gait progresses! Wishing you all the best as you continue your journey!

Thank you, Alchemist!  CLL is a grind like nothing else; but I'll get to the finish line soon enough.

InFullStryde

(Wednesday) Day 117 Post Op - Day 25 Consolidation/Recovery Phase - DISTRACTION COMPLETED....[7.5 cm Achieved / 3 inches Taller!]

Greetings CLL'er's,

Quick update. All still going pretty decent as far as I can tell. As mention before, I'm 100% ambulatory at this point, while getting around work, home and taking walks around building with no assistance from cane. I'm averaging about 8000 steps per day and that number is growing.  I DO take the cane with me where ever I go however; in the event that I need a device to assist me in some way; even if its just to lean on. Particularly in longer walks or extended standing.  You guys saw my gait and it's pretty decent but there is work to be done.  With this in mind; I have listed the below challenge points that I have to conquer in order to get to comfortable walking.  Hopefully this list helps out future CLL prospects on what they can expect.

1) Minor Anterior Pelvic Tilt.  After 26 days of hard work there is some positive changes in my APT. It's starting to get better. I am hoping that May brings some great adjustment here.  Improvement can be had by stretching the hip flexors, hips, quads and working out the glutes and abs. It really does help.

2) Tight Muscles: I have decent range of motion throughout and there is no "worry" areas here; but my quads and hips are tight enough to shorten my "stryde". As a result my walk is not fast enough and I tend to tire out pretty quick. I'd say I'm at about one quarter of a mile right now before my muscles tend to tire and I need a break.   I'll track this slowly and keep you guys posted on my progress.  Also, being that I'm only 26 days post lengthening, the muscles are weaker in general and should be another month or so before enough strength is there to truly capture the extended walk of 1+ miles.

3) My Left Leg: What do you know! My left leg is a little big weaker than my right. Go figure. Fortunately, I am able to bear full weight on it and even stand on it, one leg style; but this leg still needs some work in comparison to my right leg.

4) Have to work on "standing up muscles". It's not super easy to stand from chair yet. I'm working hard on those sit to stand exercises very aggressively at this point.

5) Have to "Warm Up" my legs before I can walk on them: This is a unique one. I can walk all day once I get going; but after sleeping or sitting for a while, i have to really warm up my legs with high knees, weight shifting, or baby steps before I can walk on them.  They get pretty tight when having idle time.  The tightness is around the lower quads.  Once I warm up for about 15 -20 seconds I can walk again. Strange, right? lol.  Let's keep it going.

My current recovery regiment:

-PT - 7 Days a Week for 2 hours a day.  (4 Days Self PT) (3 Days Professional PT in Clinic)
-Walking 8000+ Steps per day, Including High Knees, Some Agility Style Steps, and Long Strides to extend step length.
-Stand and Walk, at least for a few minutes every 25 minutes.   
-Peddle on Bike in between each stand/walk session

So, my friends, I'm counting my blessings here. I can "stand" and I can "walk" before 4 months; but work is to be done here.  I'm happy that my bones have already bridged and that is looking solid.... now it's time to put my head down, and work hard. My goal is to be comfortable to walk distances by the 6 month point. Maybe that day will come sooner...maybe later....but I assure you I'll do all I can to make it happen.

Thank you again for your support and I'll be back with a new update shortly.

All the Best,

IFS
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 05:36:46 AM by InFullStryde »

tallica

• Visitor

Hey IFS,

Really really happy that you've accomplished the biggest part of it, you're 90% there.

Did you already get used to your new height? How does it feel? Do you still feel different about your POV? I'm sure you're still euphoric about the whole thing so maybe a year from now would be a better time to ask this but still, did you get nearly as happy as you thought you'd become? :)

A side question: what's the deal with losing glutes? Is it because muscles are stretching? So I assume you lose hamstrings too?

InFullStryde

Hey IFS,

Really really happy that you've accomplished the biggest part of it, you're 90% there.

Did you already get used to your new height? How does it feel? Do you still feel different about your POV? I'm sure you're still euphoric about the whole thing so maybe a year from now would be a better time to ask this but still, did you get nearly as happy as you thought you'd become? :)

A side question: what's the deal with losing glutes? Is it because muscles are stretching? So I assume you lose hamstrings too?

Hi Tallica,

Thank you for the kind words.   I am absolutely in love with my new height. I cannot wait to start enjoying it.  Right now, I'm very much remaining a hermit and low key until my walk is strong enough. Although I am walking well; I still need to improve the comfort and speed of the walk.  In a month or 2; once my walk improves to a satisfactory level; I plan in revamping my clothing style getting a nice hair cut and hitting the road with this new height! lol.  Perspective is everything and when you lived your life at 5'1 and now you're 5'4...its a dream come true.  I always say....truth is the essence of one's perspective. It really is.  Ask me again in about 4 months....

You know; I think it's just the trauma involved in breaking the bone and then not being able to walk 100% weight bearing for a few weeks.  You just lose your glutes and it's rough.   I advise any future CLL'er to be proactive in somehow keeping their glutes if at all possible... This will help you avoid the dreaded APT.

Thanks again for the great question Tallica and feel free to reach out to me any time.

All the best,

IFS

tallica

• Visitor

This was asked before but I couldn't find the answer to it. Can someone (If not IFS) please clarify this for me?

During distraction the bone is separated from the cut point 1mm a day and in IFS's case ended up being 7.5cm separated at the end.

Does this gap starts filling after the distraction? Does bone ends start growing towards each other, to make a connection? In that case, it must surely start growing towards each other right after the first 1mm separation.

How does this work exactly?

InFullStryde

This was asked before but I couldn't find the answer to it. Can someone (If not IFS) please clarify this for me?

During distraction the bone is separated from the cut point 1mm a day and in IFS's case ended up being 7.5cm separated at the end.

Does this gap starts filling after the distraction? Does bone ends start growing towards each other, to make a connection? In that case, it must surely start growing towards each other right after the first 1mm separation.

Hi Tallica,

This is correct; so the bone will start to fill in and will attempt to bridge to the other as soon as the break occurs. With each mm, the bone callus continues to grow in and does all it can to bridge; but it cannot bridge because the patient will continue to pull the bone apart.  It's such as slow and gradual process that the bone still knows where it needs to go; yet will not consolidate fully since there is always that new 1 mm that needs to be addressed. As soon as you're completed with distraction then the bone can finalize the bridges and begin to finalize any gaps to fill.  Eventually the soft callus will mineralize and become harder and even stronger bone than the neighboring bone.

wannagrowtaller

That's it. You need to be careful because some factors may prevent the bone to grow/fuse. Anti-inflamatory drugs or lengthening too fast for example.
Go for it

totallyred

IFS

"even stronger" than the previous bone.

Is that true. Can you give any reference please supporting this thing?? Thank you.

InFullStryde

Hi Totally Red,

It's actually temporary thing.  The new bone is oft believed to be stronger at the beginning as it undergoes a fresh mineralization but eventually will be one and the same as the rest of the bone.  It's an interesting google look up.

InFullStryde

(Sunday) Day 121 Post Op - Day 29 Consolidation/Recovery Phase - DISTRACTION COMPLETED....[7.5 cm Achieved / 3 inches Taller!]

Greetings CLL'er's,

I just wanted to check in and let you know my status right here at the 4 months point, post operation!  As mentioned earlier; my updates will likely be down to weekly now since the reporting is much of the same during the day-to-day recovery phase.

Things are well.  I continue to get a little better each and every day.   I'm walking unassisted 100% of the time.  You may find that you still like to have your cane with you as something to lean on in case you find yourself waiting around and no table or wall is available.  I'm not even a month after distraction yet (29 days); so your legs do get a bit tired standing and walking on them.  Standing, I can say, I could probably do an hour or more; so long that I am able to stretch and move them around. Walking, I get tired after about a quarter of a mile. Need to sit rest for a few moments and then I'm off again.   I am getting around just fine however...by driving, walking around at work, home, parks, etc.  I am just too slow and stiff at the moment so I'm not testing the social scene at this point outside of going to weekend breakfasts at the local cafe with my family.

My walk is improving... notable my ATP appears to be better gradually.  I almost feel like during distraction it was 1 mm a day of height...and now its 1mm day of repairing my soft tissues and posture.  It's so subtle, the improvement each day that you really just need to keep working and focus elsewhere.  The "millimeter" worth of improvement add up each week or so.   

My main challenges are my minor APT, stiff quads and hips.  Once these 3 aspects are squared away my first goal of walking comfortably is checked off.  I am currently working out upper body 6 days a week.  I am stretching and strengthening legs with leg weights and bands, 7 days a week and about 1-2 hours per day.  It's a grind, but it will be worth it once this is all over with.   In addition, I am still attending my PT clinic 3 days a week.  I don't see myself discontinuing physical therapy any time soon.   Once I am walking normally and comfortably again, I may reduce the days from 3 days to 1 day or 2 days, per week.   I'd like to continue being treated and reach my fullest potential possible. 

Other notables... Not sure if the CLL veteran can chime in; but one of the most unique and toughest thing at this point is "getting up" from the chair. After about 30 minutes or more of laying down or sitting, my quads feel tight and I have to wake them up with stretches, etc in order to effectively walk on them. Ja Ja.  Does anyone relate to that during recovery? It seems to be getting better...a small bit per day.

With all this being said; I would say that Internal Styrde patients will most likely enjoy a very mobile, not perfect, but quite mobile and taller existence at their 3-4 months point...month 5 - 6 being to smooth out the walk, loosen the tightness, build strength and increase stanima in legs.   Might even be sooner for some...remember I went the full 3 inches and I wasn't flexible at all prior to surgery.  The new gain makes a huge difference for me and I'm giddy with excitement and anxious to get back out into the world.  I'm very happy with the results, so far.  I just need to have the legs loosen up a bit.

Thank you again for all your support and I sure do hope that my diary has helped.  I'll provide a new update very soon and please feel free to ask any questions.

All the best,

IFS

« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 08:24:38 PM by InFullStryde »

lax2018

• Visitor

Thank you for your post!
really appreciate

InFullStryde

Thank you for your post!
really appreciate

My pleasure LAX. Free free to reach out if you have any questions.  Talk soon.

All the Best,

IFS

SimonFuller

Great post again - what's been some of the strange/cool moments with the new height? - things like does it feel weird when you are at a different height to your kitchen cupboards, or maybe when you go to the supermarket and your eye level to the food items is different, or even your shower head position?

I imagine this must feel a little surreal! 

InFullStryde

Great post again - what's been some of the strange/cool moments with the new height? - things like does it feel weird when you are at a different height to your kitchen cupboards, or maybe when you go to the supermarket and your eye level to the food items is different, or even your shower head position?

I imagine this must feel a little surreal!

It really is surreal Simon.  At 5'4" still on the shorter side; but I'm now in the "zip code" if you will of most people I meet  (men and especially a woman).  My personal discontent with my height has been completely removed.   I wear nice shoes that boost me another couple of inches sometimes (not all the time) and they are so comfortable.   I'm really counting my lucky stars.   Yes, I have a better reach too!  No more tippy toeing in the kitchen.   I'm going to write up a post soon once my walk is feeling more normal which will really go into detail about the big change from 5'1 to 5'4.  I'm only 4 months post-op and I'm walking 100% of the time...so I imagine that my gait should be fairly normal in 4-8 weeks, time. Thank you for the question. 

All the best,

IFS
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 07:37:24 PM by InFullStryde »

FutureManuteBol

Your dairy is extremely informative, man. It makes me want to get right on and do it. I am currently your new height which might sound like I'm being ungrateful for what i've been given, but that's why I only plan on doing it for 2 inches. It's just like you said, I'm not doing this for some disillusion that I will be of normal height. I know I'll still be short, but I'll be less short, more in the norm with everybody else, "in the zip code'.  That's all I've ever wanted, to just feel a little bit more in line with my fellow man. To not be immediately labelled by my short height, to shift short height as just an attribute of my being, not my whole being. Of course not to downplay you getting to this height through all your hard work. 5'1 to 5'4 is groundbreaking, man.

People who are doing LL are truly pioneers and have my highest respect and moreso for the people who don't have a good outcome and still have the confidence to be open about the mistakes of undergoing the procedure.

I was hoping a couple of months down the line, or maybe even a year post-op, you could make a timeline of your recovery and possibly compare it to some other outcomes using the previous Precice 2.2 (I'm thinking Purushrottam). Just to see the effect that this New Stryde technology has had on the long term process as a whole. Even if long term recovery is not improved, cutting down on the recovery process is a major step forward for LL.

Good luck on your continued recovery and I pray you remain a prominent figure on the forum!

InFullStryde

Thank you, FutureManuteBol!

I couldn't be more pleased at the height increase.  Now, I just need to recover.  My first goal of being able to walk around unassisted is checked off.  My next goal is to be able to walk comfortably enough for 1 - 2 miles continually at a decent speed. I walked .59 miles today fairly comfortably but felt too much tightness and wasn't fast enough.  I am being very ambitious with my goal date on this one; but I'd like to be able to do that by June 15; which would be at about 2 months and 10 days of recovery.  I have about 6 weeks left before that goal date hits us!  Let's see what happens....

IFS

FutureManuteBol

Yes, Bro!

Don't get complacent. Work on Rehabbing at all times. Truth is that the cost of 3 whole inches is working super hard the first 1 or two years after undergoing the operation. I would make the sacrifice in a heartbeat. Everybody on this forum is rooting for you.

InFullStryde

Yes, Bro!

Don't get complacent. Work on Rehabbing at all times. Truth is that the cost of 3 whole inches is working super hard the first 1 or two years after undergoing the operation. I would make the sacrifice in a heartbeat. Everybody on this forum is rooting for you.

Thanks, Buddy! I'm ready for the grind.  After walking, my next check box is jogging, then running and various agility/movement training.

SimonFuller

Yes, Bro!

Yes we are!

InFullStryde

Yes we are!

Thanks, Man.  Much appreciated. 

Canon

What's it like to be taller? Have you already assimilated to the new height and do you want more?

InFullStryde

What's it like to be taller? Have you already assimilated to the new height and do you want more?

Hi Canon,

I'm still in recovery; so I haven't been out or done too much, but I'm very happy with the 3 inch gain.   I will not be pursuing another surgery.  I'm content and I'm ready to go forward with life.   Thank you for checking in with me! I'll keep you updated on how I'm doing.

All the Best,

IFS
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 04:26:58 PM by InFullStryde »

InFullStryde

(Wednesday) Day 124 Post Op - Day 32 Consolidation/Recovery Phase - DISTRACTION COMPLETED....[7.5 cm Achieved / 3 inches Taller!]

Greetings CLL'er's,

Quick milestone update. I just completed my first 1-mile uninterrupted walk, unassisted, since surgery.   Legs did not hurt much, but was a bit tired; but not bad at all. Most discomforts were felt in the lower back since I'm still working on my apt. It's getting better little by little.  It took a while to complete the walk since my tightness limits my speed.  Still working on everything.  I just wanted to share the big milestone.

Thank you and I'll report back with update soon.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:43:01 PM by InFullStryde »

TheAlchemist

Wow - 32 days consolidation and already walked a mile! That is amazing. Stryde seems like a game changer. Congrats!
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

Movie

cograts! looking very promissing
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

InFullStryde

Wow - 32 days consolidation and already walked a mile! That is amazing. Stryde seems like a game changer. Congrats!

Thanks, man.   It truly is a game changer.  I'm working to loosen up tight muscles and hope to build on the big milestone from today. Will keep you posted.

cograts! looking very promissing

It sure is, Movie!  Good luck on your upcoming consultation. 
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32   Go Up