Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hoping for 6cm - Dr Monegal - Barca - Bilateral femur  (Read 8488 times)

star-ray

Hoping for 6cm - Dr Monegal - Barca - Bilateral femur
« on: March 03, 2019, 08:52:29 PM »

I wanted to write this, so I can share my experience. Over the years I have read other people’s diary and it has always given me hope that one day I can do this surgery.  I want to do the surgery and finally, just be happy with my self and comfortable in my own skin.  For me, this surgery means no more wearing shoes with insoles, wearing insoles means I did say no to a lot of fun activities, like football with mates and any activities involved taking shoes off,  I missed a lot of family events as I didn't want to be in a room with no shoes. It is silly I know, but the 2 inches the insole gave me was unbelievable and it's crazy how much I know having it will change my life. Anyone on here who wears insoles knows how much trouble we go to hide it.

When I was 20, I came across anold forum that talked about limb lengthening. I was in uni and in my second year, I was an average student and knew I would not be able to afford it. I borrowed a lot of money to fund uni and was in a lot of debt. fast forward to 24/25 and decided to save up by getting a higher paid job. It was much harder than I expected, however, I felt super motivated, I manage to take my career to the next level and started to think outside the box. in the process, I ended up not only making more money, I passed all these additional exams and actually became passionate about my career. My work became more than just a job and getting money for the surgery.  And now I am good at something. At 30, I have finally cleared all my debt and have enough saving to do this surgery whiles not going broke.
To note, I have always been bad at managing money and wasted a lot so I could have been here a few years before, but I choose not to dwell on things that can’t be undone.

So last year early 2018, I started to speak to a few surgeons. My options were UK or Europe based. I met 2 doctors before meeting Dr Monegal.
I met Dr Monegal in person in November 2018.  I felt like he was a very caring person, and he was super friendly. he seemed to be dedicated to his craft and passionate about his work and it wasn't just about the money. I can relate to that.  He gave a presentation on Fitbone and the surgery itself and answered all my queries.
after, Dr Monegal did introduce me to his patients there. First, one I met was in the hospital and just finished his second leg surgery a few days ago. He was from Israel and was a super nice guy, a medical student and knew a lot. Monegal left me alone with him, and I did ask him many questions and asked him on Dr monegal. overall- he was positive. Dr monegal then came back and took me to the MIC, where people stay after the surgery, I met 2 more of his other patients, both were from China. Monegal took them to get there X-rays and then when we returned, Monegal was ok with me staying with them.  so I spoke to them, got more tips and advice and learnt more about Dr Monegal.
For me, Monegal patients were positive on him, I was very impressed with how Monegal always responded to my emails/WhatsApp before I met him and after.  he has always been open and honest to me. If the surgery goes well (fingers crossed), Dr monegal will change my life for the better in so many ways, i won't ever be able to thank him.
To Add, all the other surgeons I met, were all fantastic and they all do an amazing job in helping guys like me.
Oh, Dr Mongeal does support Barcelona FC (second-best team), obviously, the best football is Liverpool :)

Here are the basics:

30 years old
From the UK
Currently 166CM
Aim: 6CM
2 surgeries
Surgery No 1 -Right leg -booked for Monday 4th March

I arrived to Barcelona on Friday 1st March. I met with Monegal on Saturday. I am glad I met him as I didn't mention to him but I was extremely anxious and nervous. I felt super scared and felt like not going ahead. after I met him, I did feel ok again and calm.
Tomorrow (Monday 4th March) is the first surgery. I have the pre-checks in the morning. i have been told to have my last meal by 1030 AM and no liquid after 1 and then the surgery is at 7 pm. I plan to get the right leg done first.

The hardest part of all of this so far is how none of my family or friends knows about this surgery. it's a lonely process. I wish I could have at least one friend that I could share this with. Especially right now, I could do with my mum or dad by my side.

I will keep everyone reading updated on my journey, pray for me please.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:46:21 PM by star-ray »

Mule

Re: Hoping for 6cm - Dr Monegal - Barca - Bilateral femur
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 09:19:06 PM »

Best of luck to you star-ray! I admire your dedication.

Is there any reason you’re not telling any family or friends? I think as you say, it would be very useful to have some support.

star-ray

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 09:51:53 PM »

Thanks mannn,

I have a big family and love em all. But the two primary reasons I couldnt tell them:

1) they are all tall and don't get what being short is. They don't understand all the short jokes they make actually affects me. They think it banter ofc. To be fair they are not being malicious but its something they can't understand. They also won't be up for me doing this surgery.

2) I would love to tell at least one of them. But lol my family is all buch of blabber mouths. it will mean they will eventually tell someone and I just don't want all my family and friends knowing.

This was kinda simplified. I do love my family and part of is my fault for never creating that trust relationship.

InFullStryde

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 10:08:30 PM »

Good luck, man! I hope all goes great for you.
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

zlRadamanthys

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 12:56:45 AM »

I wish you good luck in all your process.Also we hope that you are informing us abour the surgeron and your recuperation.
Morning height: 170-171 cm
Night height: 169cm - 168cm
Inseam: 80 cm
Winspan: 178 cm
My objetive is: 6,5 or 7 cm

takura

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 02:44:18 AM »

Good luck to you

Be careful though Dr Monegal is known to have botched several patients and also paid many advertisers. You talk about him with a lot of admiration so I think you're just unaware about it

otavio

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 08:40:10 PM »

Good luck with your surgery and please report us the ongoing of this procedure  ;)

star-ray

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 07:18:02 AM »

Firstly, thank you all for the well wishes. Means alot.

Day 0  -  didn't manage to get any decent sleep. I couldn't stop thinking about life when am finally 6cm taller on both legs. The idea seems like a distant reality at the moment. I went down stairs to get some breakfast. The menu here is simple. Toast with jam and OJ. I knew this was my only meal for a long time today so I wanted a bit more but monegal did advice me to have a light breakfast.

DR Monegal came to the MIC to pick me up and we went to  the hospital. We spoke alot on the way. 

So the first they had to first do is ECG, I think it's to measure your heart rate or something like that. Then I had to do a blood test. I won't lie, this part had me nervous but to my surprise it was quick and easy. Finally we did some xrays.

I then met the anaesthetist and she gave all the green lights.

Finally you have to make the payments. Part of me was like hmmm would my bank block this, as its a large transaction.

And then I was taking to my room where I'll be right after surgery. The idea is so you can unpack anything you brought with you. As you will be here for 5 - 7 days. A nurse did stop by to shave my right leg and then two nurses came to check my blood pressure.

All in all, the pre check experience was
good and very professional.

I wrote all the above before the actual surgery sitting in my hospital room.  The time when writing this is 16:48 and I am Super hungry lol.

The surgery, this is like some weird dream. Am lying on the bed. Monegal is greeting me. Tbh, seeing him there I felt OK and safe. And then someone gives me oxygen mask and I don't think it was oxygen now lol.
I woke up at 3 am in my room, I wasn't confused I knew I just had surgery. And not sure how the nurse knew but popped in similar time. My only concern was pass my phone please lol.

Day 1 -

At approx6 ish am and I was asked if I can pee. I did try to pee in this box thing but I really couldn't. They they had to use a catheder. Not as bad as I assumed as you can't feel anything.
I am writing this whiles day 1 is not done. No pain thus far and it becauce am still on anthestics. Just lower body is totally numb. Food wise, breakfast has been OK, I am not as hungry as I would nornally be.

All the nurses have been super friendly and caring.

Wish you all well

My journey now truly starts

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:29:44 AM by star-ray »

star-ray

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 09:30:00 AM »

I have added two images on the link below.

I will over time add more to this album. I have created this album purely to add my LL progress/journey and hopefully any future LL guys can get a better picture of what LL is :)

https://ibb.co/vhqjCj7
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 12:31:39 PM by star-ray »

zlRadamanthys

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 01:53:24 PM »

I am very happy for you. Excuse me my english but my native lenguaje is the spanish. How u doing man, hou u feel now?. Are you doing internar femurs or also tibias?

star-ray

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 02:18:24 PM »

Thanks bro,

I feel happy that the first surgery is finally done. 10 years waiting to do limb lengthening.

Right now there is not much I can do besides lay on my bed.   So I am Keeping my self entertained using my phone.

I am doing femur, internal.

zlRadamanthys

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 02:42:37 PM »

Thanks u man. I have a question, do you thinhk do tibias later? and What was your long of femur and tibia before of the surgery?

star-ray

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 03:00:00 PM »

Hey,

I have one more surgery after this and that is for the left leg. That might be in July/August. Getting time of work is always tricky. I wont be doing any more surgery after that. I was happy wearing insoles and my insoles were always 5 cm. So 6 cm for me is a bonus.

I don't know the exact length of my tibas or femur before the surgery. I know my height fluxuated alot between 166 and 168.

otavio

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 03:42:25 PM »

How much did you pay for this procedure?

star-ray

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 04:25:00 PM »

Since I only got the right leg done. I paid the hospital (clinicadiagnol) 19000 euros.

I will have to pay 19000 again for left leg.

otavio

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 04:52:48 PM »

why you doing only 6cm?

star-ray

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 08:03:30 PM »

For me 6cm is a lot and being just over 2 inches taller would make me sooooo happy.

Quick update - still day 1

Met Dr monegal earlier. It was a great catch up and hearing more about my surgery and sharing stories. We did few strechthes and it was great getting some control of my right leg and foot. My first PT session is tomorrow so looking forward to that.

InFullStryde

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 10:01:37 PM »

For me 6cm is a lot and being just over 2 inches taller would make me sooooo happy.

Quick update - still day 1

Met Dr monegal earlier. It was a great catch up and hearing more about my surgery and sharing stories. We did few strechthes and it was great getting some control of my right leg and foot. My first PT session is tomorrow so looking forward to that.

6 cm is a lot! almost 2.5 inches AND not only that; it is a pretty safe lengthening.  I just hit 2 inches and its a huge difference. 
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

Americanfootball

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 02:44:29 PM »

Hey Star Ray,

first of all , good luck on your  L.L journey.  I hope  and I'm  sure everything is going well. I will be next week there and stay a few day in Mic, it s good to see new people there,  Upps meanwhile I'm nicknamed americanfootballer  , maybe you read my diary. Say hello to Monegal for me. Bye, take care!

star-ray

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 05:06:04 PM »

Hello americanfootballer, thanks and ofc I read your diary :)

I will be moving into mic next week so do message me when you are down.

I will say hi on your behalf to Dr monegal.

star-ray

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 05:23:57 PM »

day 2 - today has been a good day.

So we did my xrays (images added to my album https://ibb.co/Db1yWxb)

Dr Monegal stopped by, he did some checks and we laughed how poor Madrid were yesterday.

Had my first PT session. The PT used the CPM Machine, this bent my knee  52° for just over an hour.

https://ibb.co/Db1yWxb

Bushguy

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 12:26:16 AM »

Hi Star ray, how are you?
How much did you pay? 

otavio

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 12:15:38 PM »

Hi Star ray, how are you?
How much did you pay?
He already answer this question above 18000 per leg

star-ray

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 05:16:42 PM »

day 4 -

Did two PT sessions. Manage to get 95 degrees on the CPM Machine. Dr monegal showed me how to use the walker as well. Can now move around my self which is a huge relief.

Also I am glad I only did one leg. Being able to do some stuff means alot. Like just be able to stand up and grab the phone charger lol.

Yesterday was a tough day as I found this all emotionally challenging. I know I sound like a big wuss but this process is tough.  I am happy that I have chosen a surgeon who is there all the time when you need him and visits every day.

Pain wise, I have none, this is becauce you do get some pain killer drips.

star-ray

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 05:19:53 PM »

Hey am am good today, thanks for asking, price wise, I did post it above. It does vary if you do two legs at the same time.

Bushguy

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 01:21:43 AM »

Sorry Miss that part

star-ray

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 07:29:31 PM »

day 6 -

Today should be my last night in the hospital (clinicadiagnol). I have to say I am very impressed how nice and helpfull all the nurses and staff have been.

Dr Monegal has come to visit me every day so far, Inc today. So far, I am Super glad he's my surgeon.

I should be starting lengthening tomorrow.

star-ray

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 10:05:03 PM »

day 10 -

Firstly, I feel so happy that am in day 10 of LL.

I have been in the MIC (residency) for 4 days now. The first few days were tough, just getting use to the crutches and how limited I became. Simple task like putting socks on or carrying a plate required serious output and planning lol.

It's still relatively early, so I don't have much flexibility but I am improving day by day.

Pain wise, it's low. I am stretching and training everyday and been doing PT everyday as well. I am very cautious and I always ask Dr monegal or the PT what I should be doing and what not be doing. Also I only lengthening .8mm a day and not 1mm.

Highlight of my day today was chilling with American footballer. It was kinda unreal because I been following his diary since his first post last year. I must say, he looks and is super tall! He chilled with me before he left today, and gave me some good tips and advice and it's was just nice meeting him. He's definitely a LL champ so his advice meant alot.

star-ray

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 09:18:27 PM »

day 15 -

Got my first x-ray since I started lengthening, I am just a bit above 13mm :) Dr Monegal was very happy with the x-ray too.
I met him at the Uni hospital. I must say, he is a very popular person at the hospital, and it was nice to see that kind of positive energy.   
For me, this first xray was a big deal, its nice to see everything is going according to how I was feeling with my recovery.

https://ibb.co/PxV0WDN

I did officially start remote working yesterday from the residency (MIC), the WiFi is good enough for me to VPN in and work. I do mainly sit on the bed so my leg remains straight. I plan to fly back to the UK end of this month and return to the office, Don't look forward to making up an excuse for my broken leg.

training wise, I been seeing Alberto (PT dude) every Mon - Fri so far and it really has helped. I do at night train my self, I do 45 min walking, 25 min stretching.

My flexibility is returning and has come along way in the last few days, I can now easily bend my knee so i can sit on a chair and be comfortable and put my shoes on. I know these sound like trivial things but the first few days after the surgery, these became big milestones lol.

so far, pain wise, I haven't experienced much pain, during the day, I don't take any pain killers.  at night before bed, I do take one paracetamol.
Only thing I cant do yet, is sleep on my side, it does feel uncomfortable.

I did bring all the Vitamin pills i needed, calcium and protein shake etc. so i do take that daily, however my diet hasnt been as good as i would like, been relying on deliveroo way to much.

star-ray

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 06:02:51 PM »

Bending my knees beyond 90 is when I feel the tension.

Still a long way to go.

https://vimeo.com/325494228

The password to open the video is

shortasiandude

• Visitor
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2019, 12:01:06 AM »

Hey man, I'm 16 year old and same height as you. Gonna wait about 4-5 years before I do the surgery ;D
But a few questions, is going 8-9cm realistic in femur? How long does dr monegal allow? Also my femur and tibia is like the same length 50:50 ratio.

Can I realistically be able to run, weight lifting, after 2 years post surgery?

You're a true inspiration man! Hope everything goes well. If I grow 2-3 inches(doubt i will:/) i wlnt do it but if i remain the same height for 4-5 years the nope !
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up