Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Femoral Lengthening with Dr. Paley  (Read 108920 times)

Purushrottam

Re: Femoral Lengthening with Dr. Paley
« Reply #310 on: March 15, 2019, 04:34:42 AM »

Way to go Purush. It really takes a brave person to go through this procedure and endure its many challenges. I am currently 5'4-5'5. I don't want to lengthen too much. I'm looking for 2 inches on my femur through Dr.Paley (I've heard he is the one with the best outcomes). 2 inches may not seem worth all this, but I'm honestly fine with it if there is an easier path of recovery and a higher realization of pre-LL Athleticism. Even if there is a noticeable downtick in athleticism, I'm ok with it because, at my current height, i'm having trouble going out in public, let alone participate in sports.

That would put me at roughly 5'6-5'7, which I know is your starting height, but honestly, I never minded being short, I just didn't like being especially short, and I feel this surgery would do wonders to get me out of that really short range and improve my self-image. I have 2 questions.

1. Do you think gaining a complete 2 inches at my height is worth it?

2. Do you think you would have recovered better had you opted for 5.1 cm as opposed to 6.5 cm?

Thanks a lot FMB! Honestly I wasn't too worried because I knew the doctor's track record was pretty good. It was my parents who were really worried (and their worries went away after talking to the surgical team during the pre - op).

2 inches (5 cm) should be really easy. Lots of people with deformities (one leg longer than the other) get lengthening on 1 leg for that amount. The chance of risk is minimal and your recovery will be really quick (probably 2 months post surgery). When I was at the 2 inch mark, I was pretty satisfied. I wouldn't have minded stopping at that point either. However, going from 5 cm to 6 cm isn't really a big leap (10 more days). By the you have gotten used to the lengthening process where 10-15 more days of lengthening doesn't make much of a difference psychologically.

Paley says that you can reach your pre LL level of athleticism (granted it would be much faster with just 5 cm). There was a golfer (college level) who had 4 cm in one leg. He was competing again after that.

There was a dude lengthening with me who was about your height. He did the entire 8 cm (so he became 5'8"). He was 18 and trained really hard after. He started boxing (and winning international competitions). I'm not at my pre LL level, but I haven't been training as hard (full time work gets in the way). But its definitely possible whether you lenghten 5cm, 6.5cm, or even 8cm.

So to answer your questions:

1. In terms of percentiles, whether or not it will be worth it depends on what you want. You will shift from 6th percentile (5'4.5") to 19th percentile (5'6.5"). If do 6.5 cm, you will go to the 26th percentile (5'7.2"). If you do the entire 8 cm you will be 32nd percentile (5'7.8"). I personally think it will be worth it.
Source: https://dqydj.com/height-percentile-calculator-for-men-and-women/

2. Yes but I don't think it would have made a huge difference. An extra month or two is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

Dirona

« Reply #311 on: March 15, 2019, 07:35:32 PM »

Great answer Puru..
Taking it easy

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #312 on: March 16, 2019, 02:24:34 PM »

How difficult is to change your clothes? Or take a shower? Or make number 2?
Go for it

Purushrottam

« Reply #313 on: March 16, 2019, 04:20:14 PM »

Right now? Or after surgery?

Right now it’s the same as before. My surgery for nail removal is this Friday. Hopefully not too difficult. I’ll let you know on Saturday.

wangchaoan

« Reply #314 on: March 16, 2019, 04:27:52 PM »

I'm so looking forward to your newest post of nails removal. Waiting online everyday. Hahaha...

Purushrottam

« Reply #315 on: March 16, 2019, 06:11:18 PM »

I'm so looking forward to your newest post of nails removal. Waiting online everyday. Hahaha...

I appreciate that man. I am pretty excited to be honest..

A dumb reason I'm looking forward to this is that broken bones consume a LOT of calories. As long as I keep working out my upper body, I'll look really cut for the summer :D

All joking aside, it will be awesome to see what running/kickboxing/sports will be like after. I want to start playing sports as soon as I can (probably will be May).

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #316 on: March 17, 2019, 09:23:05 AM »

Right now? Or after surgery?

Right now it’s the same as before. My surgery for nail removal is this Friday. Hopefully not too difficult. I’ll let you know on Saturday.
During the lengthening phase.

Congrats to your nail removal.
Go for it

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #317 on: March 17, 2019, 09:24:40 AM »

After nail removal, how long you need to stay away from lifting weights (squats) or practicing sports like soccer?
Go for it

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #318 on: March 17, 2019, 03:38:36 PM »

Puru, do you think you could handle a quadrilateral lengthening with stryde in both femurs and tibias (4cm each) or only one segment is hard enough?
Go for it

Purushrottam

« Reply #319 on: March 17, 2019, 05:04:30 PM »

How difficult is to change your clothes? Or take a shower? Or make number 2?

During the lengthening phase.

Pretty difficult. I wasn’t able to put my socks on. They give you a stick with a grabber that helps you out clothes on.

Taking a shower is hard too. You need a special shower chair. Sitting down is uncomfortable because of the leg 🦵 inflexibility. Same with going to the bathroom. The painkillers make constipation really bad.

After nail removal, how long you need to stay away from lifting weights (squats) or practicing sports like soccer?

The doctor said 6 weeks.

Puru, do you think you could handle a quadrilateral lengthening with stryde in both femurs and tibias (4cm each) or only one segment is hard enough?

No. One segment is enough. Quad patients have nerves that are being stretched twice as much. Thy shut hurts.

Congrats to your nail removal.

Thanks!

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #320 on: March 17, 2019, 06:12:22 PM »

https://paleyinstitute.org/centers-of-excellence/stature-lengthening/costs-financial-considerations/
I'm thinking about doing two stages quadrilateral lengthening because I want to gain something like 15cm, but I'm afraid it's too much.
Go for it

Purushrottam

« Reply #321 on: March 17, 2019, 06:44:21 PM »

https://paleyinstitute.org/centers-of-excellence/stature-lengthening/costs-financial-considerations/
I'm thinking about doing two stages quadrilateral lengthening because I want to gain something like 15cm, but I'm afraid it's too much.

It is too much in my opinion. You can get 14.5cm in 2 separate surgeries. How do you plan on paying for this?

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #322 on: March 17, 2019, 06:50:02 PM »

It is too much in my opinion. You can get 14.5cm in 2 separate surgeries. How do you plan on paying for this?
I'm not very young anymore, so I want something that will make difference fast.
I have the money to pay for Paley, but I was thinking doing with Giotikas (it would be 120k euros the 8 surgeries).
Go for it

Purushrottam

« Reply #323 on: March 17, 2019, 07:05:17 PM »

Why do you need 8 surgeries? I don't know about Giotikas but there seem to be several Giotikas diaries on this forum.

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #324 on: March 17, 2019, 07:08:44 PM »

Why do you need 8 surgeries? I don't know about Giotikas but there seem to be several Giotikas diaries on this forum.
It's how its done with two stage quadrilateral. You break two legs (lets say tibias) and 3 weeks later you break the femurs. You lengthen for 4cm each and consolidate. One year after you break your legs again ang lengthen for more 4cm (16cm at total) It's 4 bilateral surgeries actually. If Paley offers this option, I assume it's ok.
There are two diaries of Giotikas here. Both are not complete yet and they are external tibia. I had a web consultation with Giotikas and I liked him.
Go for it

Purushrottam

« Reply #325 on: March 17, 2019, 07:14:24 PM »

Oh I see. I think Paley offers that option too but its extremely expensive (I think in the $300k+ range). What is your starting height? This is a very extreme variation of LL.

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #326 on: March 17, 2019, 07:28:18 PM »

Oh I see. I think Paley offers that option too but its extremely expensive (I think in the $300k+ range). What is your starting height? This is a very extreme variation of LL.
It's US$280k.
I'm 1,65m.
Go for it

Purushrottam

« Reply #327 on: March 20, 2019, 02:46:29 AM »

Update

I decided to be a little crazy and tried an intense 1 hour workout conditioning class. I was surprisingly able to keep up with the rest of the class (even with leg workouts and flexibility). I was even able to do front kicks better than some of the other participants (not as good as I was able to do before though. I used to do martial arts and had trained myself to kick pretty high).
Other than getting tired after running, I was in pretty good condition. This makes me think I've been 'playing it safe' for way too long and need to be more aggressive in my workouts. Once my 8 weeks pass, I want to get back into my groove.

I've been stretching aggressively for the past month. My flexibility is back to 100% for everything other than my quads. I'm able to bend my knees all the way (until my heel touches my butt), but I can't bend it by using leg muscles alone (I have to use my hands to pull it up). I'm going to be aggressive on that. Other than that, my flexibility seems to be back 100%. I can even do a proper 'heel sit' with both legs. This is a huge win for me as my quads were the last muscle group to remain inflexible.

https://goo.gl/images/xrSdjN

I think by summer (May) I should be pretty close to 100% (maybe not with leg strength). I'll go to the gym on Thursday (before nail removal surgery) and try to record my running stats to get a good benchmark for where I need to get to after the surgery.

InFullStryde

« Reply #328 on: March 20, 2019, 02:55:22 AM »

You are my inspiration ! Way to go Purush!
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

Purushrottam

« Reply #329 on: March 20, 2019, 03:08:37 AM »

You are my inspiration ! Way to go Purush!

Thanks man!!!

jayes

• Visitor
« Reply #330 on: March 20, 2019, 06:14:47 PM »

All the best with the nail removal surgery!  I'm glad it worked well for you and I'm now considering this in the near future.

Purushrottam

« Reply #331 on: March 20, 2019, 06:28:34 PM »

All the best with the nail removal surgery!  I'm glad it worked well for you and I'm now considering this in the near future.

Thanks for your wishes! Good luck on your journey!

Update:

Yesterday’s workout was intense. My legs feel like rubber. I guess running up and down 20 stories wasn’t the best idea. On the bright side, I know what I need to do to recover my strength quickly:

Stop using elevators..

InFullStryde

« Reply #332 on: March 20, 2019, 06:51:46 PM »

Purushrottam,

I hope I'm at your condition once all of this settles. Impressive!

I know you have probably answered this questions many  times; so I'm sorry if you are repeating...

Am wondering at about what month post-op, were you able to:

Walk..
Jog..
Run..

Thank you again and in advance for any feedback.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 07:12:00 PM by InFullStryde »
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020

Purushrottam

« Reply #333 on: March 21, 2019, 03:39:25 AM »

Purushrottam,

I hope I'm at your condition once all of this settles. Impressive!

I know you have probably answered this questions many  times; so I'm sorry if you are repeating...

Am wondering at about what month post-op, were you able to:

Walk..
Jog..
Run..

Thank you again and in advance for any feedback.

Hey IFS,

I think you will be in a better conditioning because you will have faster consolidation and recovery.

This is the timeline of my progress compiled by OverrideYourGenetics:

InFullStryde

« Reply #334 on: March 21, 2019, 03:54:31 AM »

Hey IFS,

I think you will be in a better conditioning because you will have faster consolidation and recovery.

This is the timeline of my progress compiled by OverrideYourGenetics:

Excellent. Thank you

SimonFuller

« Reply #335 on: March 22, 2019, 04:23:17 PM »

Hey Paru - your diary is excellent and very enjoyable to read through.

I have experimented with elevator shoes and whilst at the beginning it was fine - I've started to feel the shame of wearing them.

My question to you is two things if you don't mind answering.

Could you give further detail on how dating is different from before to now - perhaps you have a comparable example in your head that you can share from recent times.

Secondly - do you agree that sometimes the height difference doesn't feel like a big deal when you are by yourself i.e. getting changed? For example, when I put my shoes on today I felt like - really am I going to spend all this money just to be this much taller - but then when I was around other people the difference was felt properly.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Purushrottam

« Reply #336 on: March 22, 2019, 11:59:44 PM »

SimonFuller,

I’ll get back to you

Update:

I had my nails removed today. I’ll give a more detailed update when I’m rested.

Purushrottam

« Reply #337 on: March 23, 2019, 03:02:54 AM »

Update: Nail Removal March 22 2019:

I finally got the Precice nail removed. The surgery was pretty straight forward. I arrived there at 8:30 to be processed (paper work, consent forms, etc). They thoroughly check that you are you and what the procedure is (so that you don't get the wrong operation.. ). While I was waiting for my operation room to be prepped, I was given IV.

The experience was completely different because I knew I wouldn't be crippled for the next 4 months. I was pretty calm last time, but still a little worried about how my life was permanently going to change. Now I was just waiting there bored, like I was at the DMV.

I also literally walked into the operating theater (last time my entire bed was rolled into it, and I was sedated before I was moved there). Consequently I met the entire team that would be operating on me. My first thought was DAMN a lot of people are involved in this surgery. TV shows make it look like its just 1 or 2 surgeons. In reality it was several surgeons, an anesthesiologist, therapists, and nurses (7-8 people total). No wonder these things are expensive if done carefully and thoroughly.

I was out of the OR in 2 hours. When I woke up, there was a little bit of pain at the hip sites (and none at the femur screw sites). I would rate it at 1-2 out of 10. Barely noticeable. Its like when you are playing tag as a kid, trip and scrape your hip. That level. I think that could be because the anesthesia was still in effect.

I still had to wait there for 4 more hours because they wanted the anesthesia to completely wear out (so that I don't accidentally fall). I was given an extra dose of anesthetic because my operation had a risk of going longer than the alotted time. So I was just laying there in bed for 4 hours. As the anesthesia was wearing off, I did notice some pain at the nail sites. The best comparison would be when you work out a muscle really hard after a long time of not working out. The sore muscle feels painful to move for the next few days. Thats what I'd compare it to. Nothing to bad.

After 4 hours I was wheeled to the Uber (even though I had clearance to walk). My walking was a bit wobbly when I got out of that bed so there was a risk of me falling. So the nurse gave me crutches. Now that I am home, my walking balance is fine. I am walking like a duck now. My left leg doesn't hurt at all. My right leg is still painful when I bend it (or walk with it). I've been told that the surgical site pain mostly goes away in 3-4 days.

EDIT: I forgot to mention:
I've been prescribed pain killers but I haven't taken any (other than Tylenol). I haven't really felt the need for it yet (and I don't think I will). I do have medication to reduce the surgical swelling though. (My thighs are really swollen.. just like last time).

Purushrottam

« Reply #338 on: March 23, 2019, 03:20:13 AM »

Hey Paru - your diary is excellent and very enjoyable to read through.

I'm happy to hear that!

I have experimented with elevator shoes and whilst at the beginning it was fine - I've started to feel the shame of wearing them.

I've tried the same. They were very uncomfortable and didn't seem natural to me. Honestly think the long term effects of wearing them are probably worse than actually getting CLL. They just didn't look normal on me. I actually threw them away (they were pricey as hell too)

Could you give further detail on how dating is different from before to now - perhaps you have a comparable example in your head that you can share from recent times.

Well for once thing, I've literally been asked out by girls now. That almost never happened to me. I've literally never been in a situation where I had to politely reject someone. I get 'ghosted' a lot less. The women I meet actually make an effort to hang out/meet again. I used to think it was normal to always 'try hard' and that the onus was on the dude to make the effort. In reality, I just wasn't seen as that attractive so I was never priority number 1 these women. Now its a bit different. Its also fairly easy for me to hook up at clubs now. I never 'initiate' it (I'm a lot more buff now though, sort of on the chubby side though: 17% body fat... not sure how accurate). All those rejections sort of instilled a personality where I don't pursue women unless they clearly indicate that they are interested in me. I'm slowly trying to change that.

Secondly - do you agree that sometimes the height difference doesn't feel like a big deal when you are by yourself i.e. getting changed? For example, when I put my shoes on today I felt like - really am I going to spend all this money just to be this much taller - but then when I was around other people the difference was felt properly.

I dont know the answer to this. It mostly felt like a big deal when I would go clubbing or to a bar or a social event. Being short never bothered me when I was hanging out with my taller friends. Only when hearing about how easy it was for them to date. Height is definitely a social thing. Whether or not you are tall or short depends on the people around you. There was a 5'10" Dutch guy who got LL. He was probably the taller patient who got cosmetic LL with Paley.

Ghostfish

« Reply #339 on: March 23, 2019, 05:56:05 AM »

Hi Purushrottam

Congrats on finishing all the journey!! Finally you are the free man from not only nails but also from the concern of height!!  I am so happy for you!!
Enjoy your height.  I wish you the success and happiness!!

Purushrottam

« Reply #340 on: March 23, 2019, 08:13:31 AM »

Hi Purushrottam

Congrats on finishing all the journey!! Finally you are the free man from not only nails but also from the concern of height!!  I am so happy for you!!
Enjoy your height.  I wish you the success and happiness!!

Thanks man! I’m loving the positivity! I read in another post that you also finished LL. How was your post LL life overall? I think that topic is scarcely discussed here because most veterans leave after recovering.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up