Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing height- Programdude's Precice 2 Internal femurs with Dr. Paley  (Read 240291 times)

programdude

Re: Installing height- Programdude's Precice 2 Internal femurs with Dr. Paley
« Reply #589 on: October 05, 2017, 06:31:54 AM »

Just be safe my friend. I think most people eventually will be normal after awhile, but even with great health and work ethic it could be many years like in my case.

My main hope with people who undergo this surgery is A. No permanent complications and B. Completely being over their height dysphoria.

I can say the absolute removal of any displeasure with my height and proportions has been worth it, I just hope everyone else who has read me diary and taken the plunge can achieve the same.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

Megamuffin

• Visitor
« Reply #590 on: November 12, 2017, 01:23:00 AM »

Do you think that the amount you lengthened has anything to do with your current aches?

Name

• Visitor
« Reply #591 on: November 13, 2017, 05:32:17 AM »

I still wouldnt say full at all. But thats mainly with running, and a lot of that is because of how the hardware in my leg feels. Once its removed we will see where things are. However, in terms of walking and hiking etc. I am totally comfortable and efficient.

How is your running now? Has the hardware been removed? Do you think that your running would have been better if your tibias had been lengthened by 5 cm or a little less instead?

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
Terrible sleep during the femur distraction phase
« Reply #592 on: November 16, 2017, 07:58:32 AM »

I've just finished reading your entire diary, Programdude! Thanks so much for taking the time and sticking with the community for 3+ years now.

I took a lot of notes along the way, so I'll try to give back to the community by answering the question about sleep based on what you wrote along the journey:

As for sleep, the bad news is, as my diary indicates, sleep is the worst part of all this and never gets better. ZZZquill helped. Read through my thread and you will pick up some things here and there. It can be brutal.

Sleep was generally pretty bad for everyone distracting femurs, but not tibias, and it improved radically once the distraction phased stopped:

• "Nights are somewhat hard for me(my Hong Kong LL'er friend has reported the same), as discomfort has me waking up every hour or two. Mornings are also somewhat tough because of this, being weak bodied and ill rested making it hard to find the motivation"
  • "I've talked to my LL friends and they report similar sleeping issues."
  • [Hong Kong guy] "like mostly everyone else reports sleeping issues"
  • "Its not the actual hour of day that makes sleeping difficult, just that sleeping in general is rough."
  • "every single person I've met doing femurs has a terrible time sleeping. The people I've met doing tibias sleep like a rock for 8-10 hours"
  • "Again- This is a very up and down experience but you do eventually start to settle into it, getting used to hellish nights of poor sleep and functioning off that and getting into the rhythm of lengthening, napping, eating, PT."

What helped:
  • strenuous exercise makes sleep easier
  • "Slept well again thanks to my new/good friend valium"
  • "Best thing I've found is taking an Ultracet and it makes it easier to find a sleeping position that doesn't cause me to be uncomfortable."
  • zzzquil helped, but not much (easier to fall asleep after waking up). 6 weeks in, still  ty sleep
  • Try benadryl?
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

U only live once

« Reply #593 on: November 16, 2017, 01:01:10 PM »

Hi all,

I definitely feel like I should participate here. I am pretty happy with my LL experience so far but I need to admit once again pain is coming back at night. I remember that after I came back home from Spain (except in the flight coming over), I did not experience any pain, however, pain has kicked back in once again since this week

But now I feel the pain is coming from the muscle. Not long ago tramadol used to work like a charm but somehow now is not working so well. Honestly, I can't wait to be over this and have some proper sleep.

Cheers!!!
Aim high

Body Builder

« Reply #594 on: November 16, 2017, 01:19:09 PM »

Problems with sleep are only during lengthening phase or even after, till full consolidation lets say?

myloginacct

« Reply #595 on: November 16, 2017, 01:41:56 PM »

Hi all,

I definitely feel like I should participate here. I am pretty happy with my LL experience so far but I need to admit once again pain is coming back at night. I remember that after I came back home from Spain (except in the flight coming over), I did not experience any pain, however, pain has kicked back in once again since this week

But now I feel the pain is coming from the muscle. Not long ago tramadol used to work like a charm but somehow now is not working so well. Honestly, I can't wait to be over this and have some proper sleep.

Cheers!!!

Get it checked.

U only live once

« Reply #596 on: November 16, 2017, 05:15:04 PM »

Problems with sleep are only during lengthening phase or even after, till full consolidation lets say?

Hi bodybuilder,

Do you think pain may persist even after the lengthening stage ? Although my pain is 1 or 2/10 at the most, I would not like to have it after the lengthening phase!

Maybe as a word of advice to others, I have noticed pain goes away when I exercise my leg. The problem is that I work in the mornings  and waking up in the middle of the night to exercise my leg is not very nice, I guess this is some of the extra price you need to pay should you wanna be taller.
Aim high

InferiorityComplex

« Reply #597 on: November 16, 2017, 06:27:33 PM »

I've had LITERALLY 0 pain, and i mean 0. since 2 weeks after operation...sleeping was weird the first month but now i sleep even too much...It's with fitbone and i have lengthened 6 +. Bodybuilder you should be more than fine :) Walk in the park if you're young i guess?

Body Builder

« Reply #598 on: November 16, 2017, 11:32:19 PM »

Hi bodybuilder,

Do you think pain may persist even after the lengthening stage ? Although my pain is 1 or 2/10 at the most, I would not like to have it after the lengthening phase!

Maybe as a word of advice to others, I have noticed pain goes away when I exercise my leg. The problem is that I work in the mornings  and waking up in the middle of the night to exercise my leg is not very nice, I guess this is some of the extra price you need to pay should you wanna be taller.
Usually pain stops after lengthening withe externals but I am not sure about internals. I think it will be the same but Idk.

Personally I had almost zero pain even when I was lengthening. My LL experience was painless except from the first 2-3 days after initial surgery.
Of course I was very young (23) and when I'll do ly second LL I'd be about 31-2 but still you are not old for that surgery at that age and human body heals fast till 40-45 so I hope I won't experience much pain with internals.

LAGrowin

« Reply #599 on: November 17, 2017, 01:48:43 AM »

I've had LITERALLY 0 pain, and i mean 0. since 2 weeks after operation...sleeping was weird the first month but now i sleep even too much...It's with fitbone and i have lengthened 6 +. Bodybuilder you should be more than fine :) Walk in the park if you're young i guess?

Hi InferiorityComplex,   Congratulations on your progress.   did you do Femurs ? Who with?

I'm happy to hear you're sleeping well since after week 2.  I'm scheduled for January 2018 with Dr. Mahboubian and concerned about sleep after surgery. From what I hear, pain is present with internal femurs until week 2, then it seems almost non existent.

Do you have a diary ?  I tried looking for one.

All the best.

programdude

« Reply #600 on: December 06, 2017, 06:42:01 PM »

To be clear the aches I have are from the fact I broke my leg again and had to get a rod put in lol. I am convinced if not for the hardware I would be 100% for walking, as most of the time I currently am unless the hardware area is irritated, and 85-90% on running.
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

LAGrowin

« Reply #601 on: December 07, 2017, 04:53:43 AM »

To be clear the aches I have are from the fact I broke my leg again and had to get a rod put in lol. I am convinced if not for the hardware I would be 100% for walking, as most of the time I currently am unless the hardware area is irritated, and 85-90% on running.

When does the rod come out?    Is the pain the hip area due to the nail?

OverrideYourGenetics

Walking with crutches during the lengthening phase
« Reply #602 on: February 10, 2018, 01:33:43 AM »

I spent a lot of time in the pool. Almost no time walking in crutches as I was told it wasnt safe- until much later Paley told me it was ok and that the others were wrong.

PD, how come Paley's team of physical therapists hasn't told you that you can walk with crutches during the lengthening phase? That seems like a huge oversight.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

FutureManuteBol

Hi Programdude

I am new on the forum. This is my post. I am 21 year old male that is 5'4.5, although I say 5'5 because it just sounds better. I am looking to do internal femurs with Dr.Paley within 5 years if possible. I'm just wondering how you have been holding up so long after the inital operation. An update would be super helpful.

Cheers.

BeYourBest

Hey PD,

how are you now?

Purushrottam

Hey PD! I just had my nails removed with Dr. Roz. I read your diary several times. When you broke your bone while stretching (I think it was 2 months post nail removal), how did you know your bone had snapped? I'm asking as a precausion because some people break their bones and don't know their bones are broken for a long time (until the pain suddenly hits them at once). I'm obviously going to talk to Dr. Roz tomorrow but I want to make sure that my leg pain is not from a broken bone.
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

jairom89

• Visitor
  • Lengthening in Medellin - Colombia

regards

In Colombia we do the same procedure at a lower value, with the nail precice.

I leave you my whatsapp (+57) 3193784166

OverrideYourGenetics

Read the diary!
« Reply #607 on: April 17, 2019, 07:49:00 AM »

I read your diary several times. When you broke your bone while stretching (I think it was 2 months post nail removal), how did you know your bone had snapped?

Are you sure you've read the diary? He had INTENSE PAIN when the bone suddenly snapped.

You're probably looking for his post Early signs of a stress fracture.

programdude

« Reply #608 on: September 15, 2019, 08:46:03 AM »

Hello all! Have been getting a steady stream of PM's so I figured I'd post something public to keep the community as informed as possible.

I am honestly at the point where the LL dust has pretty much totally settled, hence being on less and less. Take it from me LL goes from being this all consuming thing that defines your life and days to a blip in your past. Theres comes a point where you at your new height is just how people know you, as opposed to it being anything aberrant. No one new you meet will have any idea etc. even in my case where, as I mentioned, I had that stress fracture ages ago and (occasionally) the hardware still in there irritates the area and can cause discomfort.

I will try to roll through a few questions before leaving some comments for people considering surgery(also I will check back now and then in the coming days/weeks to try and answer questions.

To answer the most recent question, it was EXTREMELY obvious when my bone fractured. I had been in immense pain, applied pressure thinking I would "stretch" and then my femur snapped in two which is an experience really beyond description. My muscles immediately spasmed and the adrenaline was so incredibly strong that I had to put my leg to the ground and watch it bend three times before realizing fully what had happened. It was a hellish experience especially because they refused to administer me pain meds initially because- Get this- I wasn't crying(even though my leg was visibly bent). Let me tell you once adrenaline wears off its an all around intolerable experience, definitely something you would immediately realize once the first few seconds of shock dissipate.

I don't mean to speak ill of Dr. R but from my disastrous experience I would er on the side of being a little more conservative with physical activity than he permits. At the end of the day if I was at the rod removal phase again, I'd still favor the significant savings going with Dr. R than Paley, despite maintaining my perspective of Paley being the only choice I considered when it came to the surgery itself.

As for early identification of a stress fracture(since like I mentioned a full fracture isn't going to be missed), a steadily growing aching radiating pain that feels like a deep muscle pain is the best way I can recollect/put it. It does NOT feel usual or normal so please don't take that as me saying to run to the hospital any time your a bit sore- But if you feel something like that which doesn't get better, and steadily worsens over a semi significant period of time you owe it to yourself to get it checked out unless you want to be wheeling yourself out of a market with a bent leg program dude style.

Great question about Paleys team and him having a miscommunication. Its a distant memory at this point but from what I recall people were always slightly walking on egg shells in terms of adhering to Paley's decrees. I remember Mike being visibly distraught and vocalizing to me displeasure about the kids not being allowed to use the exercise bikes abruptly, considering it was barely any stress compared to other things they were allowed to do. I think for whatever reason certain people thought a similar no crutch policy was instituted either for me or for cosmetic LL'ers in general. However when I mentioned it to Paley he didn't have even the slightest reservations/didnt seem like he thought he had ever given such a decree. Something to remember is the PT team there works with a vast array of cases, its entirely possible it was a matter of someone getting someone else's limits mixed up with mine.

That being said it was certainly a huge oversight as you put it and I would strongly advise you to always maintain contact with Paley. Even though he can be terse, shooting him an email if you think staff are wrong about something or you have questions/concerns is ALWAYS the right thing to do. Be proactive, you are paying an insane amount of money for his service so be sure to make use of it.

As for questions about how I am post LL, the answer is great! Like I alluded to earlier I am farrr past the phase of LL even being on my mind in my day to day. Things in my personal life have been going swimmingly and as far as my physical post LL experience things are good. I mentioned the irritation from the hardware that was put in after my fracture, which is the only thing that occasionally is out of the norm with my left leg. My right experiences none of that, and it is a fairly simple operation to get the hardware out. The only reason for my postponing it was that it is something that only even occurs seldomly and is usually minor and I was working towards some financial goals which I've now achieved, which means I plan on getting it out fairly soon at which point aside from sports performance(which as people here know was never a priority for me) I'll be 100%.

As far as my height dysphoria it is completely and utterly gone to the point that it seems almost preposterous that I ever had it. Even if I am standing next to someone incredibly tall its irrelevant, I simply feel "right" at this height.

I believe I've mentioned this before but I am always wary about expressing my satisfaction with the surgery too strongly, because I know that could exacerbate someones dysphoria depending on their disposition.

I think it is essential when evaluating if LL is right for you, that if you are using my testimonial to really get a feel on if your head in general was at a similar place as mine before the surgery. I say that because while I had a strong dysphoria, it truly was dysphoria, whereas I have certainly seen some people in the community that I honestly believe if they magically grew three inches would still be discontent, or who are channeling their general frustrations in life and attributing its to their height. Yes certain elements in your life are going to improve post LL but its not something that will magically fix all your problems. I cannot imagine the depression that spending the money and time on this surgery and enduring its pain as well as any complications, babe them physical or in your personal life, only to not feel any different at the end of it.

I really feel for people with body image issues, and having immersed myself in the community both online and in person I would never want to steer people in the wrong direction. That being said I would also not want to ever deter someone who genuinely was in my head space pre LL from getting it. Despite my words of warning I had that horrific complication and a very slow recovery and paid for everything from my hard earned cash and I still am fully satisfied with it, and everyone I personally met and stayed in touch with have been complication free to my knowledge, and are also satisfied. That being said a large chunk of them had a parent bankrolling it(lucky I know!) which obviously takes away a huge barrier.

That was far lengthier than anticipated but I just wanted to address some things and check back in with everyone. Like I said I am happy to try and answer questions. I also plan on re-reading my diary and perhaps commentating on it now that I'm removed from it by a few years in the effort to make my journal as informative a tool as it can be to those mulling over or diving into the big decision!

Purushrottam

« Reply #609 on: September 16, 2019, 02:45:44 AM »

Wow. I love seeing a big update from LL veteran regulars. I used to follow your diary (along with DoingItForMe's and Penguinn's) religiously when I was going LL to compare the experiences (should I be stretching more, should I be feeling tightness/pain, yet, etc).

Take it from me LL goes from being this all consuming thing that defines your life and days to a blip in your past. Theres comes a point where you at your new height is just how people know you, as opposed to it being anything aberrant. No one new you meet will have any idea etc.

very relatable. "Blip in your past" is an apt way to describe it.

To answer the most recent question, it was EXTREMELY obvious when my bone fractured. I had been in immense pain, applied pressure thinking I would "stretch" and then my femur snapped in two which is an experience really beyond description. My muscles immediately spasmed and the adrenaline was so incredibly strong that I had to put my leg to the ground and watch it bend three times before realizing fully what had happened. It was a hellish experience especially because they refused to administer me pain meds initially because- Get this- I wasn't crying(even though my leg was visibly bent). Let me tell you once adrenaline wears off its an all around intolerable experience, definitely something you would immediately realize once the first few seconds of shock dissipate.

Thanks for answering my question. I had my nail removal in late March with Dr. Roz. I was really worried about that happening. The part about them refusing pain meds was a nightmare scenario for me. Thankfully they prescribed me some opioids (post surgery pain). I never used a single one. I was saving them for a scenario like the one you described. I flushed them down the toilet last month.

As far as my height dysphoria it is completely and utterly gone to the point that it seems almost preposterous that I ever had it. Even if I am standing next to someone incredibly tall its irrelevant, I simply feel "right" at this height.

Also very relatable. This used to be the only thing I thought about and it consumed me. It was really exhausting. Now its completely irrelevant.

Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

FutureManuteBol

« Reply #610 on: September 16, 2019, 04:38:15 AM »

Wow, Purushrottam and ProgramDude coming back to share their thoughts. It is a good time to be on this forum. I really believe the elimination of dysphoria that PD and Purush experienced comes from going below average (honestly not even that short) to firm average-above average. It's close to the bell curve so the percentiles jumped is very large with the addition of three inches completely changing perspective. In the same vein, I think it's also why yellowspike struggled at first with dysphoria after the surgery because although 5'5 to 5'8 is a great jump, It's still firmly below average in the end, so the main social category doesn't undeniable change. In general, especially in america, he was still a short dude after the procedure, so dysphoria lingered. On the bright side, the last few posts on his diary suggest that he accepted and enjoyed his new height in the end.

That's my analysis that nobody asked for. It seems 5'7-5'8 seem to benefit most from the journey due to the complete social category shift.

Obviously, that doesn't benefit me because I am 5'4 flat and I only want to go for 2 inches due to worries on proportion and recovery. It's fine because I just wanted to be closer in height to my father anyway and feel more in line with some of my ethnic friends.

TheAlchemist

« Reply #611 on: September 16, 2019, 04:41:16 AM »

I think it is essential when evaluating if LL is right for you, that if you are using my testimonial to really get a feel on if your head in general was at a similar place as mine before the surgery. I say that because while I had a strong dysphoria, it truly was dysphoria, whereas I have certainly seen some people in the community that I honestly believe if they magically grew three inches would still be discontent, or who are channeling their general frustrations in life and attributing its to their height. Yes certain elements in your life are going to improve post LL but its not something that will magically fix all your problems. I cannot imagine the depression that spending the money and time on this surgery and enduring its pain as well as any complications, babe them physical or in your personal life, only to not feel any different at the end of it.

I really feel for people with body image issues, and having immersed myself in the community both online and in person I would never want to steer people in the wrong direction. That being said I would also not want to ever deter someone who genuinely was in my head space pre LL from getting it. Despite my words of warning I had that horrific complication and a very slow recovery and paid for everything from my hard earned cash and I still am fully satisfied with it, and everyone I personally met and stayed in touch with have been complication free to my knowledge, and are also satisfied. That being said a large chunk of them had a parent bankrolling it(lucky I know!) which obviously takes away a huge barrier.

Amazing to see two LL veterans drop in multiple years after their operations. For future LLers like myself, times like these give us a rare glimpse into the long term outlook of this procedure.

I want to start off by saying thank you to both programdude and purushrottam for sharing their experiences and diaries with the community, I've read both of your diaries twice over and gleaned several valuable insights along the way. I'm actually sitting alone in my room at Homewood Suites in WPB, my operation for bilateral Stryde femurs with Paley is this Tuesday. Knowing that both of you were in my shoes before this is a huge motivator. You've both shared the good, the bad, and the ugly of this journey and I feel way more informed because of it.....THANK YOU!

@programdude a couple of questions:

1) How did you transition back to normal life post op 3 inches taller in the context of friends, family and coworkers? I know you mentioned you came clean to your roommates as they noticed the height gain and you told your mom, but how about everyone else in your life? Did they notice? In my case, for the past 4 years I've been wearing lifts that have added about 2 inches to my height, I'm shooting for 7 cm here to end up at 5'11.5, (I'm currently about 5'8.5 to 5'9 in the morning) and plan on taking the lifts out post op so I'm hoping I can hide this, but wanted to get your take.

2) When you say you are satisfied with the results, is this more freedom of height dysphoria/neurosis or actual incremental gains in different aspects of life such as dating/career/etc? For me, I was generally happy and content with the core areas of my life (career, friends/family, and women) before LL, I just struggled with height dysphoria every day and that nagging psychological constraint has started to wear on me. All I'm seeking here is freedom of height neurosis. I'm currently addicted to wearing lifts which as put a constraint on living life (e.g no beach, pool, no getting too intimate or serious with dating due to concealing lifts, etc.)

3) Any advice for someone doing this alone? My experience is very similar to yours. Doing it solo, keeping it private from friends and family, and staying at Homewood Suites. My biggest fear is the psychological challenge of solitude and loneliness moreso than the physical pain (although I know the physical part will be no walk in the park and will require every ounce of strength.) 

Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

programdude

« Reply #612 on: September 16, 2019, 04:31:13 PM »

Amazing to see two LL veterans drop in multiple years after their operations. For future LLers like myself, times like these give us a rare glimpse into the long term outlook of this procedure.

I want to start off by saying thank you to both programdude and purushrottam for sharing their experiences and diaries with the community, I've read both of your diaries twice over and gleaned several valuable insights along the way. I'm actually sitting alone in my room at Homewood Suites in WPB, my operation for bilateral Stryde femurs with Paley is this Tuesday. Knowing that both of you were in my shoes before this is a huge motivator. You've both shared the good, the bad, and the ugly of this journey and I feel way more informed because of it.....THANK YOU!

@programdude a couple of questions:

1) How did you transition back to normal life post op 3 inches taller in the context of friends, family and coworkers? I know you mentioned you came clean to your roommates as they noticed the height gain and you told your mom, but how about everyone else in your life? Did they notice? In my case, for the past 4 years I've been wearing lifts that have added about 2 inches to my height, I'm shooting for 7 cm here to end up at 5'11.5, (I'm currently about 5'8.5 to 5'9 in the morning) and plan on taking the lifts out post op so I'm hoping I can hide this, but wanted to get your take.

2) When you say you are satisfied with the results, is this more freedom of height dysphoria/neurosis or actual incremental gains in different aspects of life such as dating/career/etc? For me, I was generally happy and content with the core areas of my life (career, friends/family, and women) before LL, I just struggled with height dysphoria every day and that nagging psychological constraint has started to wear on me. All I'm seeking here is freedom of height neurosis. I'm currently addicted to wearing lifts which as put a constraint on living life (e.g no beach, pool, no getting too intimate or serious with dating due to concealing lifts, etc.)

3) Any advice for someone doing this alone? My experience is very similar to yours. Doing it solo, keeping it private from friends and family, and staying at Homewood Suites. My biggest fear is the psychological challenge of solitude and loneliness moreso than the physical pain (although I know the physical part will be no walk in the park and will require every ounce of strength.)

Hey Alchemist, congrats on taking that huge dive! I'm glad documenting my journey here has been helpful to some people, my jaw dropped a bit when I actually realized what its view count was. One day I'll have to swing by there again for some nostalgia.

Hopefully my answers can be helpful since you are indeed in a similar situation to the one I was in.

1. Even without lifts/getting people ready preemptively, those who didn't see me crippled were none the wiser to a surgery being involved, even if they did notice me being taller. Off the top of my head my dad noticed I was taller, and a friend I had been close to but not seen until I was nearly fully recovered noticed but otherwise there were no comments and even in those instances it was just a brief and awed mention before moving on.

Even though LL and your height change are at the forefront of your mind, the same isn't true for those around you, even those who do register a change in height. Because LL is not mainstream peoples minds will automatically brush it away, thinking they are misremembering, you somehow grew, your posture got better, or ironically, even started wearing lifts.

My advice is to just own it mentally. Don't go into each day or interaction in with a defensive mindset. If someone mentions you growing, a confident/slightly happy "Oh yeah? Can't complain about that" response is a lot better than being hesitant and bashful. If you recover quicker than I did which is likely, and you are already wearing lifts I think this will be a breeze for you.

2. It sounds like what you are describing is essentially exactly the position I was in beforehand, though lifts didn't really assuage my dysphoria since there wasn't any actual physical change and the discomfort honestly probably exacerbated it. I've mentioned it before but my life was objectively great before LL-robust social life, good money, no shortage of women, and just in general no doors closed on me due to height. Height was not even on my mind as something I was unhappy with until relatively shortly before I did LL, however when it set in, it was exactly as you describe it.

The good news for you is that considering how much more significantly your method of coping with it has affected your life(limited activities, infringing on intimacy etc.), I would think you would get even MORE of a benefit psychologically than I did. If you feel "right" with your lifts on then I think you will be satisfied with the results, since its no exaggeration to say the dysphoria is gone without a trace.

3. The bad news is people in our shoes definitely are at a disadvantage, no sugar coating that. However if you can handle the physical side I think you should do fine. I don't want to scare you but some parts of the process early on are hard because it is both physical pain coupled with the isolation. Sitting in the shower for an hour or more with two broken legs at the most painful part of the process, with the heat turned up just to distract from the pain was a distinct low point. Since its not your main concern my one physical tip to you will just be to stretch even more than you think you need to, even though there will be plenty of times you'd rather not.

The stay doesn't have to be a lonely one however, and in many ways it can be one of the most unique and socially stimulating experiences you'll have. You will have regular interactions with your PT's, hotel staff, and ideally some fellow LL patients/their families, be it cosmetic or not. Embrace the fact you are in a place where you are free to be open about your situation, it can be interesting discussing with fellow cosmetic LL'ers what brought them to making the decision, as well as talking with patients and their families about things surrounding the process. Some days it might be tempting to be antisocial when you are feeling tired or in pain but its worth it to make connections.

Also if you have people who aren't in your life currently because they moved and aren't part of your family/your social circle striking up a conversation with them could be a good idea, whether it be for general talk or telling them what you were doing. Opening up to the few people I did was nice since it was a little tether to my normal life.

Once you are out of the early part of the process you could invite some girls over, having company in your room can definitely be a breath of fresh air, as well as physical contact etc.

Lastly I would get some shows and books you've been wanting to get through lined up since its the perfect time to get through some of them.

Best of luck man! I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for how you're doing.

TheAlchemist

« Reply #613 on: September 17, 2019, 02:25:01 AM »

Hey Alchemist, congrats on taking that huge dive! I'm glad documenting my journey here has been helpful to some people, my jaw dropped a bit when I actually realized what its view count was. One day I'll have to swing by there again for some nostalgia.

Hopefully my answers can be helpful since you are indeed in a similar situation to the one I was in.

1. Even without lifts/getting people ready preemptively, those who didn't see me crippled were none the wiser to a surgery being involved, even if they did notice me being taller. Off the top of my head my dad noticed I was taller, and a friend I had been close to but not seen until I was nearly fully recovered noticed but otherwise there were no comments and even in those instances it was just a brief and awed mention before moving on.

Even though LL and your height change are at the forefront of your mind, the same isn't true for those around you, even those who do register a change in height. Because LL is not mainstream peoples minds will automatically brush it away, thinking they are misremembering, you somehow grew, your posture got better, or ironically, even started wearing lifts.

My advice is to just own it mentally. Don't go into each day or interaction in with a defensive mindset. If someone mentions you growing, a confident/slightly happy "Oh yeah? Can't complain about that" response is a lot better than being hesitant and bashful. If you recover quicker than I did which is likely, and you are already wearing lifts I think this will be a breeze for you.

2. It sounds like what you are describing is essentially exactly the position I was in beforehand, though lifts didn't really assuage my dysphoria since there wasn't any actual physical change and the discomfort honestly probably exacerbated it. I've mentioned it before but my life was objectively great before LL-robust social life, good money, no shortage of women, and just in general no doors closed on me due to height. Height was not even on my mind as something I was unhappy with until relatively shortly before I did LL, however when it set in, it was exactly as you describe it.

The good news for you is that considering how much more significantly your method of coping with it has affected your life(limited activities, infringing on intimacy etc.), I would think you would get even MORE of a benefit psychologically than I did. If you feel "right" with your lifts on then I think you will be satisfied with the results, since its no exaggeration to say the dysphoria is gone without a trace.

3. The bad news is people in our shoes definitely are at a disadvantage, no sugar coating that. However if you can handle the physical side I think you should do fine. I don't want to scare you but some parts of the process early on are hard because it is both physical pain coupled with the isolation. Sitting in the shower for an hour or more with two broken legs at the most painful part of the process, with the heat turned up just to distract from the pain was a distinct low point. Since its not your main concern my one physical tip to you will just be to stretch even more than you think you need to, even though there will be plenty of times you'd rather not.

The stay doesn't have to be a lonely one however, and in many ways it can be one of the most unique and socially stimulating experiences you'll have. You will have regular interactions with your PT's, hotel staff, and ideally some fellow LL patients/their families, be it cosmetic or not. Embrace the fact you are in a place where you are free to be open about your situation, it can be interesting discussing with fellow cosmetic LL'ers what brought them to making the decision, as well as talking with patients and their families about things surrounding the process. Some days it might be tempting to be antisocial when you are feeling tired or in pain but its worth it to make connections.

Also if you have people who aren't in your life currently because they moved and aren't part of your family/your social circle striking up a conversation with them could be a good idea, whether it be for general talk or telling them what you were doing. Opening up to the few people I did was nice since it was a little tether to my normal life.

Once you are out of the early part of the process you could invite some girls over, having company in your room can definitely be a breath of fresh air, as well as physical contact etc.

Lastly I would get some shows and books you've been wanting to get through lined up since its the perfect time to get through some of them.

Best of luck man! I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for how you're doing.

Thank you programdude! Super helpful advice. I gotta say, you have a gift with writing. Every single one of your posts are concise and eloquent.

programdude

« Reply #614 on: September 17, 2019, 03:28:28 AM »

Thank you programdude! Super helpful advice. I gotta say, you have a gift with writing. Every single one of your posts are concise and eloquent.
I appreciate that! While not something I do professionally, writing is actually one of my main passions so I'm happy to hear that bleeds through a bit.

It's also ironic since I revisited the beginning of my journal today for the first time and was surprised at how evident the toll of the stress, pain, and drugs was on my writing and mindset. While I usually don't spell check posts rigorously, the amount of spelling errors was worth an eyebrow raise, not to mention some of the things I said in general.

Definitely plan on giving a bit more commentary than that as I re-read things since as insightful as my in the moment thoughts might be, a fully coherent breakdown of things might be more valuable to some.

programdude

« Reply #615 on: September 27, 2019, 09:31:38 AM »

I've decided what I'm (most likely) going to do is re-read my diary and take some notes as I do, then use those notes as well as my perspective to give an objective breakdown of the LL journey broken into three parts.

The first which would cover as bit about me before LL, my interest in LL coming about, to me pulling the trigger and actually following through with it, as well as my first month or so post OP. The second would cover the second month or so, and the third would go into the end of the process as well as recovery and closing thoughts. It's possible I'll decide to just make it two parts or even divide it up further but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

The format will likely be me going over the events of each period, as well as potentially commenting on my posts in this diary, clarifying and expounding on anything I feel needs it, then wrapping up the analysis with bullet points of advice, warnings, or overall thoughts that someone curious about LL, or who was preparing for their surgery might find most useful.

As useful and interesting as the in the moment and gritty play by play of things can be, I think a fully coherent revisiting of the process will be ultimately more informative, especially after revisiting some of my posts where the effects of either the medication, pain, or lack of sleep were extremely evident. Additionally, because a lot of people steadily drift away from the community completely or have very brief returns, a more in depth look at the whole topic/process of LL from someone who's been in the thick of it but has it far in their rear view mirror might be a slightly rare perspective since for so many people active in the community LL/height neurosis is THE thing in their lives.

Anyways that's the plan! Its been quite surreal reading over the diary so far, and I'm sure digging up some of my memories will be as I continue the read. If anyone has any thoughts on the format or ideas about information I could include that would be helpful to them or others I'm all ears.

Dreamer57

« Reply #616 on: September 27, 2019, 12:27:06 PM »

I basically want to know your current physical and athletic abilities. Are they now gone back to what they were pre op? Can you fit into the normal world like everyone else? Like run, walk, jump etc. Are you facing any physical difficulties right now ? Also it would be awesome if you could give some tips if a person wants to do LL on his own? Without family or friends getting involved. And I have almost finished your entire diary, it's mind blowing the way you went through your journey..! Thanks for this awesome diary, looking forward to read you analysis.

TheAlchemist

« Reply #617 on: September 27, 2019, 01:38:36 PM »

I've decided what I'm (most likely) going to do is re-read my diary and take some notes as I do, then use those notes as well as my perspective to give an objective breakdown of the LL journey broken into three parts.

The first which would cover as bit about me before LL, my interest in LL coming about, to me pulling the trigger and actually following through with it, as well as my first month or so post OP. The second would cover the second month or so, and the third would go into the end of the process as well as recovery and closing thoughts. It's possible I'll decide to just make it two parts or even divide it up further but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

The format will likely be me going over the events of each period, as well as potentially commenting on my posts in this diary, clarifying and expounding on anything I feel needs it, then wrapping up the analysis with bullet points of advice, warnings, or overall thoughts that someone curious about LL, or who was preparing for their surgery might find most useful.

As useful and interesting as the in the moment and gritty play by play of things can be, I think a fully coherent revisiting of the process will be ultimately more informative, especially after revisiting some of my posts where the effects of either the medication, pain, or lack of sleep were extremely evident. Additionally, because a lot of people steadily drift away from the community completely or have very brief returns, a more in depth look at the whole topic/process of LL from someone who's been in the thick of it but has it far in their rear view mirror might be a slightly rare perspective since for so many people active in the community LL/height neurosis is THE thing in their lives.

Anyways that's the plan! Its been quite surreal reading over the diary so far, and I'm sure digging up some of my memories will be as I continue the read. If anyone has any thoughts on the format or ideas about information I could include that would be helpful to them or others I'm all ears.

Amazing! Really looking forward to this. I don't there has ever been a comprehensive revisting of the entire LL process from an experienced veteran. Would love if you talked through how LL enhanced your day to day life as well as elements where it may have downgraded your day to day life post full recovery.  Since you seem to have had been content with your life pre LL and looked LL to enhance it (rather than escape a miserable life) I'd love to hear your perspective here. Also, now that you are on the other side of freedom from height neurosis, in hindsight, would LL have been the only solution for height neurosis or would you advise on alternative methods (e.g therapy?)

programdude

« Reply #618 on: October 03, 2019, 08:55:21 AM »

I basically want to know your current physical and athletic abilities. Are they now gone back to what they were pre op? Can you fit into the normal world like everyone else? Like run, walk, jump etc. Are you facing any physical difficulties right now ? Also it would be awesome if you could give some tips if a person wants to do LL on his own? Without family or friends getting involved. And I have almost finished your entire diary, it's mind blowing the way you went through your journey..! Thanks for this awesome diary, looking forward to read you analysis.

All good suggestions from you and the alchemist!

The short answer to your question in terms of physical ability is that my athleticism is certainly not close to pre op in terms of running/sprinting but aside from the irritation from the hardware from my fracture, in my day to day I am completely normal, don't even have LL pop into my head, and certainly to others look completely normal. I believe 6 CM would probably see a quite fast recovery to something close to 100% but really think people expecting to return to sports after 8 CM are playing a dangerous game.

If someone is going solo the main advice is to be ready and over prepare. Even when going with the best money can buy things can go wrong and it will still be taxing. Also if you are just barely coming up with surgery costs then it really is best to hold off. Things can go wrong, recovery can take awhile and cause delays in work, and insurance might not cover your meds which can all equate to more strain on your bank accounts.

As for your curiosity Alchemist, again I will incorporate a more thorough answer in my actual post, but in my case there were certainly significant short term downgrades, however after recovering aside from the soon to be removed hardware irritation there are none. I cant really conceive of therapy helping, but I do think people need to think really long and hard how badly they want it. As my diary illustrates, I spent a ton of money and brutalized myself, had a bumpy recovery and still think it was extremely worth it even this long after the initial relief of being unburdened by height neurosis when viewing it from an objective lens.

It's hard to say if anything could have assuaged it, or if it would have faded naturally to an extent, and that the money and time spent on eliminating the neurosis could have netted a more happy me but it really is hard to picture.

That being said I always try and be careful since I am quite sure there are people who are suffering temporary body image issues, have mental issues that not even the LL would remedy, or are in a situation financially where they would create a far bigger problem for themselves- A person with a social circle that they truly wanted to keep 100% in the dark, had to return to work on a set day after an estimated recovery date, or who hadn't had complications budgeted into things could easily find themself in a pit of depression from strain from many angles.

At the end of the day when someone who is a fit for LL does it, it is a respectable way of changing their stars, but when someone isn't its a recipe for disaster.

CodyTheDog

« Reply #619 on: October 14, 2019, 09:22:52 PM »

All good suggestions from you and the alchemist!

The short answer to your question in terms of physical ability is that my athleticism is certainly not close to pre op in terms of running/sprinting but aside from the irritation from the hardware from my fracture, in my day to day I am completely normal, don't even have LL pop into my head, and certainly to others look completely normal. I believe 6 CM would probably see a quite fast recovery to something close to 100% but really think people expecting to return to sports after 8 CM are playing a dangerous game.

If someone is going solo the main advice isto be ready and over prepare. Even when going with the best money can buy things can go wrong and it will still be taxing. Also if you are just barely coming up with surgery costs then it really is best to hold off. Things can go wrong, recovery can take awhile and cause delays in work, and insurance might not cover your meds which can all equate to more strain on your bank accounts.

As for your curiosity Alchemist, again I will incorporate a more thorough answer in my actual post, but in my case there were certainly significant short term downgrades, however after recovering aside from the soon to be removed hardware irritation there are none. I cant really conceive of therapy helping, but I do think people need to think really long and hard how badly they want it. As my diary illustrates, I spent a ton of money and brutalized myself, had a bumpy recovery and still think it was extremely worth it even this long after the initial relief of being unburdened by height neurosis when viewing it from an objective lens.

It's hard to say if anything could have assuaged it, or if it would have faded naturally to an extent, and that the money and time spent on eliminating the neurosis could have netted a more happy me but it really is hard to picture.

That being said I always try and be careful since I am quite sure there are people who are suffering temporary body image issues, have mental issues that not even the LL would remedy, or are in a situation financially where they would create a far bigger problem for themselves- A person with a social circle that they truly wanted to keep 100% in the dark, had to return to work on a set day after an estimated recovery date, or who hadn't had complications budgeted into things could easily find themself in a pit of depression from strain from many angles.

At the end of the day when someone who is a fit for LL does it, it is a respectable way of changing their stars, but when someone isn't its a recipe for disaster.

It's really fantastic your height dysphoria is 100% cured!

It's interesting how this plays out sometimes.
Sometimes a 5'3 guy lengthens to 5'6 and ends up 100% cured of height dysphoria.
Maybe a 5'11 guy with alot of tall people in in his life lengthens to 6 feet and ends up 100% cured of height dysphoria.
Or a 5'3 guy lengthens to 5'6 and feels better but is still not quite happy.

There's maybe one or two people on this forum who are, deep inside, wishing they could compete with 6'-6'3 handsome guys at night clubs - people who feel the brunt of the emotions associated with this inequality are completely screwed I think.  In 2019, we have no means to get the vast majority of people anywhere near that territory and it really fks people over when their life experiences cause them to compare themselves to such lucky men. An unwinnable fight. Good to hear that you are 100% free of body image issues.

What is something you would recommend people buy to help make the lengthening process a bit more convenient aside from walkers/wheelchairs/standard stuff? Ex: some people said that buying body wipes was convenient for when they wanted to clean themselves without walking to the bathroom.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21   Go Up