Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Giotikas, LON 5cm Tibia  (Read 38606 times)

sylar94

Re: Dr Giotikas, LON 5cm Tibia
« Reply #186 on: October 15, 2019, 06:14:48 PM »

Jolien, how is your walking now?

CodyTheDog

« Reply #187 on: October 16, 2019, 02:00:37 AM »

Dear,

1.) They do have wifi!

2.) That is correct. They opened their doors 2 years ago, so in my perspective, they lack experience. And for this price, there are other more experienced physiotherapy centers. (you have to do the research I discovered this too late). But physiotherapy is not that complex. I just did the best I could with the physiotherapists and I did as many useful exercises I could by myself.  You will naturally feel the needs of your body. They also gave me a lot of exercises that I could do on my own.

In my view, your recovery depends on your own dedication to do as much as you can and by not quitting when you feel pain. A physiotherapist who pushes you to the limit (which my german physiotherapist did) helps you in pushing through. Also dont tell them to stop when it gets hard or you are exhausted. That way they can build the exercises up.

They are not too bad, it all depends on your attitude, mindset and most of all what you do in between the sessions (netflix vs. exercises, walking, stretching). Not that I was constantly busy (I slept maybe 16 hours a day) But when I was awake I always tried to do useful things.

Kind regards

Jolien

Thanks for making this diary, Jolien!

1. Does Dr. Giotikas do STRYDE on tibias?

2. What are some reasons aside from price you went with LON on tibias instead of STRYDE?

3. What do you think, aside from the travel, are the biggest disadvantages of doing LL with Dr. Giotikas instead of say Dr. Mahoubian (assuming the patient is American)?
I heard the language barrier isn't that bad and there are plenty of English speakers.

I haven't been to a foreign country before. I'm American. I'm not sure how much culture shock is really a thing when one goes to another western country.

4. What do you and other cosmetic LL patients think of Dr. Giotikas in terms of his skills and experience? I am somewhat worried because it seems like Dr. Mahoubian or Dr. Paley would have more experience.

5. Did you have to do a psychological evaluation before you did lengthening with him? Did he place any limits on the total length you have to do?

6. If you were doing internal STRYDE tibias with Dr. Giotikas, how much would you budget for the whole thing (including apartment/living costs/caretaker costs, etc)?

Thanks!!!!!

Jolien

« Reply #188 on: October 16, 2019, 09:54:22 AM »

Jolien, how is your walking now?

Perfect!! I will upload a video soon!!!

Jolien

« Reply #189 on: October 16, 2019, 10:11:15 AM »

Thanks for making this diary, Jolien!

1. Does Dr. Giotikas do STRYDE on tibias?

2. What are some reasons aside from price you went with LON on tibias instead of STRYDE?

3. What do you think, aside from the travel, are the biggest disadvantages of doing LL with Dr. Giotikas instead of say Dr. Mahoubian (assuming the patient is American)?
I heard the language barrier isn't that bad and there are plenty of English speakers.

I haven't been to a foreign country before. I'm American. I'm not sure how much culture shock is really a thing when one goes to another western country.

4. What do you and other cosmetic LL patients think of Dr. Giotikas in terms of his skills and experience? I am somewhat worried because it seems like Dr. Mahoubian or Dr. Paley would have more experience.

5. Did you have to do a psychological evaluation before you did lengthening with him? Did he place any limits on the total length you have to do?

6. If you were doing internal STRYDE tibias with Dr. Giotikas, how much would you budget for the whole thing (including apartment/living costs/caretaker costs, etc)?

Thanks!!!!!

Dear,

1. Yes he does

2. Because STRYDE wasn't available in February 2019 yet, and I couldn't postpone it till May (when STRYDE was available with Dr. Giotikas)  + I also had to do a tibia-rotation together with the lengthening, which could be done most precise with LON.

2. For me 100% price related. If I could go to a more experienced and known guy, no doubt. But he was the most reliable doctor which I could afford.

3. Because it is in Greece, the country is not nice to stay because of severe economic problems and because of their southern mentality which is very different from the Northern Europe mentality. So if you can afford it I would highly recommend to go to Germany, Northern US,...

4. What he has told me: He has done around 30 leg-lengthening patients at the time I was in Greece + started with Stryde in April 2019. Although He told me he has a lot of experience with external fixators (non-cosmetical).

5. I had to fill in a psychological questionnaire. I initially wanted to do 7cm, he said: start with 5cm and see how it looks. It all depends on how you are doing during lengthening. But I think if I really really wanted to go to 7cm I could. But he definetly didn't recommend. I also think Stryde has a maximal length capacity, precice doesnt (correct me if I'm wrong on this one!)

6. Just add the extra costs for the stryde. This is sooo personal and also depends on sooo many things. I've seen so many differences between me and other patients who were staying there. I think you just have to over-estimate a lot to be prepaired. (I already posted my savings and calculations but eventually spend almost double so its very variable)

Kind regards

Jolien

daikioni

« Reply #190 on: October 16, 2019, 10:24:06 AM »

Jolien  do you recommend him as a doctor? did you feel safe the entire time?

Jolien

« Reply #191 on: October 16, 2019, 10:31:48 AM »

Jolien  do you recommend him as a doctor? did you feel safe the entire time?

I think you never feel 100% save because you are so vulnerable. Also the way of communicating if different between north and south europe so to be honest I didnt felt 100% safe always! Ofcourse I cannot compare between leg-lenghtening doctors.

I do recommend him if you cannot afford to go to Germany or something like that.

Kind regards

Jolien 

daikioni

« Reply #192 on: October 16, 2019, 10:41:25 AM »

Ty jolien for your help to be honest i want to know if he is a good option as doctor and if you are satisfied with the result. the communication is not an issue for me! i live in athens!

CodyTheDog

« Reply #193 on: October 16, 2019, 08:40:58 PM »

Dear,

3. Because it is in Greece, the country is not nice to stay because of severe economic problems and because of their southern mentality which is very different from the Northern Europe mentality. So if you can afford it I would highly recommend to go to Germany, Northern US,...

Thanks! I'm a bit curious about this.

a. Do the severe economic problems mean more theft on the streets or something? Does it feel less safe/less clean?

b. What is meant by "southern mentality" and what are some examples?

Jolien

« Reply #194 on: October 17, 2019, 05:06:17 PM »

Thanks! I'm a bit curious about this.

a. Do the severe economic problems mean more theft on the streets or something? Does it feel less safe/less clean?

b. What is meant by "southern mentality" and what are some examples?

a. definitely not clean and not save on the streets.

b. If you ask for more information or you are not oke with the decision made it is difficult to discuss things. You have to be very clear in communication and very attentive. It is difficult to explain but is you go to Italy, Spain etc. it is all kind of the same.

Kind regards

Joline

Rectifying_Genetics

• Visitor
« Reply #195 on: October 17, 2019, 05:58:37 PM »

Hold on a moment, I have followed Jolien's diary and have been very impressed with the content, but some of the things she is saying here are based on opinion not fact.

Firstly this:

Having spent a considerable amount on time in both Athens and LA I know were I'd rather walk the streets at night, and here are the facts as proof, also feel free to look at Greece vs these "Northern European" countries you mention you will find it's actually very safe.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Greece/United-States/Crime

Secondly this:

I do recommend him if you cannot afford to go to Germany or something like that.

What doctor are you meaning in Germany, I think you would be hard pushed to find a better one than Dr Giotikas. Again I would base this on facts, for example if the doctor is Dr Betz I can find countless diaries of poor outcomes.

Seems strange you are running down the Dr and the country that gave you such a great result, if I was you I would be thinking how lucky I have been.

Thanks

RG

Michael01

« Reply #196 on: October 17, 2019, 06:00:25 PM »

Hi, Jolien.
When is your next set of xrays?

Jolien

« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2019, 05:55:16 PM »

Hold on a moment, I have followed Jolien's diary and have been very impressed with the content, but some of the things she is saying here are based on opinion not fact.

Firstly this:
Having spent a considerable amount on time in both Athens and LA I know were I'd rather walk the streets at night, and here are the facts as proof, also feel free to look at Greece vs these "Northern European" countries you mention you will find it's actually very safe.

Secondly this:

What doctor are you meaning in Germany, I think you would be hard pushed to find a better one than Dr Giotikas. Again I would base this on facts, for example if the doctor is Dr Betz I can find countless diaries of poor outcomes.

Seems strange you are running down the Dr and the country that gave you such a great result, if I was you I would be thinking how lucky I have been.

Thanks

RG

Dear,

Of course, this is my dairy, what do you expect. If you want facts, I would not recommend this forum anyway.

Kind regards

Jolien

Jolien

« Reply #198 on: October 18, 2019, 05:57:47 PM »

Hi, Jolien.
When is your next set of xrays?

Dear,

They are planned the 18th of November, I always try to upload them in my google drive the same day. You can find the most recent ones (21th september) also in my google word doc.

I'm also gonna try to upload this evening a video of myself walking etc.

Kind regards

Jolien

HeightGain

« Reply #199 on: October 18, 2019, 08:31:53 PM »

Firstly this:

Secondly this:

Thanks

RG

Jolien has done a good diary. I would favor US or Northern Europe over Southern Europe and think most would.

I hope you decision to defend Giotikas is due to your choice to go with him rather than some other motive.

Your previous post you state a leg length of 88cm, with a tibia femur ratio of 1.14 and sitting height of 97cm and height of 175cm. These measurements don't make sense to me. I'm not sure what is going on.

TwinMusicom

« Reply #200 on: October 23, 2019, 12:36:04 AM »

b. If you ask for more information or you are not oke with the decision made it is difficult to discuss things. You have to be very clear in communication and very attentive. It is difficult to explain but is you go to Italy, Spain etc. it is all kind of the same.

Kind regards

Joline

Thanks, Joline!

During leg lengthening, what phrases in Greek have been most useful for you to
1. To say yourself?
2. To understand other people say?

Jolien

« Reply #201 on: November 03, 2019, 04:59:15 PM »

Thanks, Joline!

During leg lengthening, what phrases in Greek have been most useful for you to
1. To say yourself?
2. To understand other people say?

Dear,

You really don't need to know a word Greek ;p

What I still know is parakalos : they say it when the enter the room or pick up the phone, it's hi or something

"callispera" = good evening
"callinigta" = good night

the others I already forgot woops!  ::)

I just talked English and if there were people who couldn't speak it very well I used Google translate.

Kind regards

« Reply #202 on: November 20, 2019, 10:47:29 PM »

Hi Jolien,

I hope you are doing well! I have a few questions that I'd like to ask you.

1. You did all of this without your family knowing. What did you tell them that you suddenly disappeared for a year or so? And how did you pay it since you're only 22?

2. Is Theseus owned by Athens BJR? And regarding the food, can you eat as much as you want?

3. You recommend Northern Europe over Greece. Which particular clinic/doctor in Norther Europe do you believe is a better choice than Dr. Giotikas and Athens BJR?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thank you in advance,

Bruce Wayne

Jolien

« Reply #203 on: November 25, 2019, 01:21:58 PM »

Hi Jolien,

I hope you are doing well! I have a few questions that I'd like to ask you.

1. You did all of this without your family knowing. What did you tell them that you suddenly disappeared for a year or so? And how did you pay it since you're only 22?

2. Is Theseus owned by Athens BJR? And regarding the food, can you eat as much as you want?

3. You recommend Northern Europe over Greece. Which particular clinic/doctor in Norther Europe do you believe is a better choice than Dr. Giotikas and Athens BJR?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thank you in advance,

Bruce Wayne

Dear Bruce,

1.) I told them I was on an internship. The way I earned all this money is private, I'm sorry.

2.) No it is not owned by Athens BJR. Yes you can eat as much as you want.

3.) There is not a particular doctor I recommend, it is just IF there happens a serious complication you will praise the lord you are in a Northern Europe hospital. So for me everything went perfectly because I was sooo lucky nothing bad happened to me, but if somehting happens, the more Northern you are located the better.

Kind regards

Jolien

Scorpstar

• Visitor
« Reply #204 on: November 25, 2019, 02:09:12 PM »

How do you mean by Northern Europe hospitals? As far as I know most northern european countries healthcare systems do not offer any CLL. Or do you mean that if a complication occurs during CLL (that one did in some other country) then northern european countries' public healthcare might come to your rescue if you belong from there?

nomad13

« Reply #205 on: November 25, 2019, 08:15:06 PM »

Hi Jolien,

How are you doing now, how is recovery and athletic recovery could you run already and any pains at this point and do you have any knee pain? As people with LON complain about knee pain
LON tibias(Oct 2019) in consolidation phase 160cm --> 165cm by Dr. Pradip Sharma http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64481.0

« Reply #206 on: November 26, 2019, 12:44:41 AM »

Dear Bruce,

1.) I told them I was on an internship. The way I earned all this money is private, I'm sorry.

2.) No it is not owned by Athens BJR. Yes you can eat as much as you want.

3.) There is not a particular doctor I recommend, it is just IF there happens a serious complication you will praise the lord you are in a Northern Europe hospital. So for me everything went perfectly because I was sooo lucky nothing bad happened to me, but if somehting happens, the more Northern you are located the better.

Kind regards

Jolien

Hi Jolien,

1. So if you could go back and do it again, which rehabilitation center would be the best choice? And I presume if you live in rehabilitation center, you don't need to hire an aide anymore right?

2. Why did you choose LON when pure external TSF is I believe the safest form of LL for tibia? With LON it's believed to cause permanent knee problems.

3. Don't you fear dying or being permanently crippled by the surgery at all? How safe do you think it actually is? I still lack of guts to do it :(

Thank you,

Jolien

« Reply #207 on: November 27, 2019, 08:00:32 PM »

Hi Jolien,

1. So if you could go back and do it again, which rehabilitation center would be the best choice? And I presume if you live in rehabilitation center, you don't need to hire an aide anymore right?

2. Why did you choose LON when pure external TSF is I believe the safest form of LL for tibia? With LON it's believed to cause permanent knee problems.

3. Don't you fear dying or being permanently crippled by the surgery at all? How safe do you think it actually is? I still lack of guts to do it :(

Thank you,

Dear,

1. I have no idea, I only have knowledge of the existence of more experienced rehabilitation centres, but I dont know which ones, I discovered this too late. No, you dont need to hire an aid if you stay as an inpatient, I only asked her sometimes to buy something from outside the centre occasionaly.

2. I preferred LON because I could take the externals of after the lengthening-process. I didnt had enough time to stay at home for 9 months with those externals on.

3. Since I'm still alive I dont fear dying from the leg lengthening hahah. But you have to consider this for you own, nobody can make this decision for you. I think the risks of osteomyelitis and dropfoot etc. are well known.

I wish you the best.

Kind regards

Jolien

Jolien

« Reply #208 on: November 27, 2019, 08:03:02 PM »

How do you mean by Northern Europe hospitals? As far as I know most northern european countries healthcare systems do not offer any CLL. Or do you mean that if a complication occurs during CLL (that one did in some other country) then northern european countries' public healthcare might come to your rescue if you belong from there?

By my knowledge you can do CLL in England and Germany for sure, I even think you can do it in the Netherlands.

I think you know what I mean right? For me it seems obvious that the more developped the country the saver you are.

Kind regards

Jolien

Jolien

« Reply #209 on: November 27, 2019, 08:05:33 PM »

Hi Jolien,

How are you doing now, how is recovery and athletic recovery could you run already and any pains at this point and do you have any knee pain? As people with LON complain about knee pain

Dear,

I'm doing great, thanks for asking.

I cannot really run, I think it is because of the nails, it feels very strange when I run, I'm gonna post a video this evening, promise!!

I have pain in my knees when I sit on my knees (like kneeling down) but that's because the nail is right there, when I take it out, the pain will be gone. I dont have any chronical pain when I walk or something, it is really minimal since I almost never kneel down haha

Kind regards

Jolien

kiki11

• Visitor
« Reply #210 on: November 28, 2019, 03:29:02 AM »

Hey Jolien,

Good to hear that you are doing great!

Did you ever shared your x-ray? If possible, can you share?

How's your scar?

Jolien

« Reply #211 on: November 28, 2019, 08:13:04 AM »

Hey Jolien,

Good to hear that you are doing great!

Did you ever shared your x-ray? If possible, can you share?

How's your scar?

Dear,

Please check my google drive in my first message in this discussion, everything (including the x-ray and scar) is in the google doc.

Kind regards

Jolien

« Reply #212 on: November 28, 2019, 08:13:52 AM »

Dear,

I posted a new video in my google drive of my jumping, running, everything.

I also posted new pictures of my scars.

Kind regards

Jolien

daikioni

« Reply #213 on: November 28, 2019, 08:23:25 AM »

Jolien i just saw your video im very impressed good job!

dunghuynh2227

« Reply #214 on: November 30, 2019, 07:52:04 AM »

Very nice. I have a question . Does dr allow you walking right after frame removal . My dr say the callus is not strong enough to walk and recommend to wait 2-3 months.

nomad13

« Reply #215 on: November 30, 2019, 02:24:21 PM »

Very nice. I have a question . Does dr allow you walking right after frame removal . My dr say the callus is not strong enough to walk and recommend to wait 2-3 months.

do you mean to walk without aids or walking in general?
LON tibias(Oct 2019) in consolidation phase 160cm --> 165cm by Dr. Pradip Sharma http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64481.0

dunghuynh2227

« Reply #216 on: November 30, 2019, 03:27:19 PM »

do you mean to walk without aids or walking in general?
without aids
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up