Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Have questions for a long-term LL veteran? Ask them here!  (Read 25715 times)

Deletedaccount_67574

Re: Have questions for a long-term LL veteran? Ask them here!
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2021, 04:49:36 AM »

If back then you could afford an internal nail(Fitbone/Precise), would you do internal nails instead? So there's basically no pros of LON over Internal nails? Since both involve an internal nail afterwards.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2021, 11:12:32 PM »

LON is the worst of both worlds so yeah, I would have done internals.  Pure external was my first choice but it wasn't possible for me at that time.

6CMFemurs

« Reply #188 on: April 17, 2021, 04:08:09 PM »

Hey MDOW, I am assuming by “Duck Feet” you mean external tibial torsion? How much did your ETT improve post-op? Do you think you are now in an ideal/normal range of torsion?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #189 on: April 17, 2021, 10:44:14 PM »

Hey MDOW, I am assuming by “Duck Feet” you mean external tibial torsion? How much did your ETT improve post-op? Do you think you are now in an ideal/normal range of torsion?

Yeah, that's it.  Never heard the official medical terminology before.

100% normal now although not due to lengthening itself.  The whole leg below the gap was rotated manually by the surgeon right before nailing.

Bjoern77

« Reply #190 on: April 20, 2021, 07:14:48 PM »

Gained 3 inches on tibias (LON) in 2007 at the Beijing Institute of External Skeletal Fixation Technology with Dr. Hetao Xia.

How much did it cost?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #191 on: April 20, 2021, 10:27:33 PM »

$25,000 including room and board for five months at the hospital.

nightstar

• Visitor
« Reply #192 on: May 07, 2021, 01:11:47 AM »

Do you think you would have fewer side effects if you had used today's internal technology?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #193 on: May 07, 2021, 02:27:19 AM »

No.

Worzezterlire

« Reply #194 on: May 07, 2021, 04:54:56 AM »

I have a Precise 2.2 femur operation coming in 30 or so days.  I have a plan for the summer with family, I have hobbies that translate well to bedrest, and I am able to work from home and have for over a year now.  But what I’m worried about is the psychological aspect.

How did your psychology fare over the lengthening procedure?  Is there anything you did to keep stable emotionally and mentally?  I’m someone who is somewhat active so this will be a strange few months for me.

Serilium

« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2021, 01:36:51 PM »

Hi Medium Drink of water

You said you have knee pain while kneeling on the floor? How hard this "floor" can be? Obviously on a wooden floor it'll hurt, but- Let's say, a typical floor mat for yoga/gym that isn't too squishy or anything but still has a little bit of give. Like, this mat is firm, but definitely not as firm as a hardwood floor. but Do you still feel knee pain when kneeling on that mat?

Thanks Medium Drink of water

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #196 on: May 15, 2021, 08:27:09 PM »

I have a Precise 2.2 femur operation coming in 30 or so days.  I have a plan for the summer with family, I have hobbies that translate well to bedrest, and I am able to work from home and have for over a year now.  But what I’m worried about is the psychological aspect.

How did your psychology fare over the lengthening procedure?  Is there anything you did to keep stable emotionally and mentally?  I’m someone who is somewhat active so this will be a strange few months for me.

My mental health was pretty good.  I advise you to keep normal hours, even if that means taking a sleeping pill every night.  Also eat at the same time every day so you get a nice routine to follow.  The thought that needs to go into planning and reacting is a bit burdensome.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2021, 08:33:00 PM »

Hi Medium Drink of water

You said you have knee pain while kneeling on the floor? How hard this "floor" can be? Obviously on a wooden floor it'll hurt, but- Let's say, a typical floor mat for yoga/gym that isn't too squishy or anything but still has a little bit of give. Like, this mat is firm, but definitely not as firm as a hardwood floor. but Do you still feel knee pain when kneeling on that mat?

Thanks Medium Drink of water

Yeah, it varies depending on the hardness of the floor.  The 6 mm Manduka Pro mat gives me no reaction at all; if I had only ever knelt on that I wouldn't even know about this knee issue. ;D

Their 4.7 mm Prolite is thin enough that I'll start to notice a minor sensation.

-

« Reply #198 on: June 04, 2021, 09:59:04 AM »

1. Where are you living?

2. What are your pre-op and post-op heights?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #199 on: June 04, 2021, 08:31:08 PM »

1. Irrelevant.

2. 5'7 and 5'10.

-

« Reply #200 on: June 05, 2021, 12:17:12 AM »

1. Irrelevant.

2. 5'7 and 5'10.

1. It's not irrelevant. I want to know the place where you really felt a huge difference between being 5'7 and 5'10.

2. Also what's your race?

Game

• Visitor
« Reply #201 on: June 10, 2021, 06:13:06 PM »

Will my life be in danger if i make 5 cm in tibia with Dr Paley?
I want to know if before you make the operation and was perfect no complication nothing, but after some years can appear complicati on? And if appear some complication after surgery are gonna to put the life in danger in future even are this complication trated?
My curent height is 1.67m and my wingspan is just 1.61 m what to do man because im so stressed and i feel bad im gonna to look very  disproportional and horible? Like T-Rex arms? Is gonna to be so bad?
Because i know its arm lenghtening to but evretying is to expensive and i cant afford 2 procedure and are not so much Information about arm lenghtening i know just again dr paley make arm lenghtening to,with precice stryde.

TouchTheSkies

« Reply #202 on: June 10, 2021, 06:30:02 PM »

I want to know if before you make the operation and was perfect no complication nothing, but after some years can appear complicati on? And if appear some complication after surgery are gonna to put the life in danger in future even are this complication trated?
My curent height is 1.67m and my wingspan is just 1.61 m what to do man because im so stressed and i feel bad im gonna to look very  disproportional and horible? Like T-Rex arms? Is gonna to be so bad?
Because i know its arm lenghtening to but evretying is to expensive and i cant afford 2 procedure and are not so much Information about arm lenghtening i know just again dr paley make arm lenghtening to,with precice stryde.
Doing the full length on femurs and tibia would be awesome but I’d say lengthening the tibia and observe bit by bit as you lengthen. Imo find the best balance between normal proportions and satisfaction with height gain as you’re already -6 .

5cm tibia is relatively safe and obviously doing Paley will give u the best chances of success. People say it’s risky but not too risky if u do it with someone like Paley.
Age - 19
Target - 6-8 cm internal
Waiting for Stryde return..

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #203 on: June 10, 2021, 07:50:19 PM »

Sorry, I don't know the answers to any of your questions.

Growing

« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2021, 05:01:01 PM »

I noticed you said you never went back to 100%. I noticed your procedure was 14 years ago. Do you think with technologies now and know what we know it will be more common now to get back to 100% vs when you received the procedure?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #205 on: July 21, 2021, 02:31:42 PM »

I noticed you said you never went back to 100%. I noticed your procedure was 14 years ago. Do you think with technologies now and know what we know it will be more common now to get back to 100% vs when you received the procedure?

No.  I don't see anything newly available that would have an effect on the final result years down the road.

Thehighest

« Reply #206 on: July 21, 2021, 08:56:00 PM »

Do you recommend me LON or pure external?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #207 on: July 22, 2021, 02:35:08 AM »

Pure external.  That was my original choice but it didn't work out.  The less invasiveness the better.

Thehighest

« Reply #208 on: August 23, 2021, 01:07:06 AM »

Which surgery takes longer pure internal femurs or LON tibial? And which is  riskier in terms of fat embolysm?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #209 on: August 23, 2021, 03:48:22 AM »

Which surgery takes longer pure internal femurs or LON tibial? And which is  riskier in terms of fat embolysm?

LON tibia takes longer because the surgeon has to install both an internal nail and two frames/rails in one surgery.

Sorcerer

« Reply #210 on: August 23, 2021, 08:13:54 PM »

How about pains included in the procedure?

Is it true if painkillers clinics offer are adequate and effective enough,most ppl can withstand pains from surgeries until the end?

I dunno if I can overcome pains

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #211 on: August 23, 2021, 10:03:35 PM »

During the surgery the anesthesia will assure that there's no pain.  After that, there will be pain no matter what while you lengthen.

Thehighest

« Reply #212 on: August 24, 2021, 02:35:09 PM »

Can the nail used in LON brake? I mean after the removal of the fixator?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #213 on: August 24, 2021, 05:27:48 PM »

Can the nail used in LON brake? I mean after the removal of the fixator?

Probably not since it's made of steel.  But sometimes screws can come loose.  That didn't happen to me but it did to some other people, usually the ones with slow bone growth.  Your bones bond with the titanium screws, but if bone growth is slow that process doesn't happen as quickly, giving more chances for the screws to loosen.

AimHigh

« Reply #214 on: August 25, 2021, 12:13:51 AM »

A Solid IM Nail wont break or bend, however the screws into the bone are the weakest points. I would feel comfortable walking on a recently installed solid nail, but I would not attempt vigorous weight bearing activity/sport/running until the bone gap is significantly healed as per the radiologists/surgeon recommendations.
2016 5.3 cm RFem. Fitbone, 2019 8cm LFem. Precice 2.2, 2022 2.9 cm Rfem Precice 2.2

Sorcerer

« Reply #215 on: August 25, 2021, 04:33:10 AM »

During the surgery the anesthesia will assure that there's no pain.  After that, there will be pain no matter what while you lengthen.
Thx for informations although I think mental tortures the reality is imposing on me are enough for me to fight against pains in the procedure

GrowANut

• We'll all make it brahs.
« Reply #216 on: August 31, 2021, 07:25:31 AM »

Is your gait back to normal? Are you able to do heavy weightlifting like squats and deadlifts? Thank you
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up